Ear pain but only when sleeping on that side
For awhile now I'll wake up in the middle of the night, though it's not every night, and my right ear sometimes just the outside and sometimes both inside and outside will hurt so badly I have to slowly raise my head off the pillow. My doctor says I have a little extra wax in that ear but nothing else. I told her that a year ago when I didn't have insurance I...popped my job I guess is the best way of putting it, and it hurt to open my mouth to even eat a small sandwich but it went away. I also was struggling with my right ear getting that feeling where your ears won't pop and everything is muffled, but that too has completely gone away.
I know I have problems with clinching, but not grinding, my teeth in my sleep. Usually I don't get the pain when I wear my old esix retainers. Does anyone have this problem? Could it be just from tension/teeth clinching, or is it possible that I ruptured my Eustachian tube which I've read can cause similar symptoms and can take months to heal? Or
Pain in the ear when lying on your side, popping your jaw and hurting to open your mouth to eat are all symptoms that can be related to your TMJ... temporal mandibular jaw joint.  Clenching the teeth at night can make TMJ problems worse- I wear a flat-planed splint myself at night, which is not covered by medical insurance typically, I've found.  

I recommend you see either a dentist specializing in TMJ or maxillofacial specialist who treats TMJ patients (preferrably the latter, since you had an incident where you may have had something happen to a jaw disc when that pop happened where you could hardly open your mouth).

For me, TMJ issues has been a long term problem- years and years.  I've had to make dietary alterations and more- it's good if you can take precautions now to do your best to try to prevent a worsening of your TMJ situation.  I have a disc displaced without reduction, which I suspect happened in a jaw popping incident years ago.  A maxillofacial specialist recently has recommended arthroscopic surgery for me.  My case is 'severe', according to one of the medical professionals where I've been going.  I hope you get the help you need!