Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ear pain goes away when I open my mouth???
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Ear pain goes away when I open my mouth???

I have this weird ear pain that goes away when I open my mouth, has anyone experienced this?  I have been told it my be Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.  Any thoughts on how to permanently stop the pain?  I can't walk around with my mouth open, obviously.
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hello and hope you are doing well.

There are tubes called 'Eustachian  tubes' which connect the middle ear to the throat, this balances the air pressure in the ears. This tube can get  blocked due to infections of the throat, which can give lead to a feeling of fullness in the ears. They can also get blocked in Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. This can also result in infection of the ears. The blocked ears can be opened up by the valsalva maneuver, where air is blown into the cheeks against a closed nostrils, this sometimes helps to open up the tubes. Steam inhalations can help clear the tube.

Antihistamines and sucking on candy can help open up the tubes. If these measures don't help then surgery may be necessary. Please consult your family physician.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
Despite trying antihistamines, Valsalva maneuver, sucking on candy, chewing gum, steaming, and nasal sprays, I am still suffering with ear pain.  My doctor says there is no infection.  The pain is relieved only when I open my mouth.  Anyone have any idea of what's going on with my ear?
Blank
Hi I am experiencing ear pain when I lie down. It's always in the left ear whichever side I lie though! It goes when I open my mouth but I can't sleep with my mouth constantly open haha! Just wondering if you found a solution?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ear, Nose & Throat Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...