Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ear problem??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ear problem??

Hi. I have been sick with the same thing for the last 5 years and frankly, I am exhausted and so upset.

I am 23 years old, female and have left an abusive relationship in June. So I can understand if I develloped depression.

It all started in 2006 Christmas Day, a month after being engaged. I started getting dizzy, sad, confused why I no longer could feel any feelings for my fiancee and tried numerous times to break up with him in one weekend. He manipulated me into staying and eventually pregnated me.

I also felt, that day, like a fog covered my eyes, my ears and my brain. This was and still is the worst thing ever. I could not make sense of anything and my ears rushed and clicked a lot.

Long story short, I developed depression symptoms in time and had anxiety attacks. Until I left my husband. Then the attacks stopped and I stopped ocd'ing a lot. Not entirely but a lot. Mind you, he had abused me for 4 years before everything hit me on Christmas Day so it may have been slow in developing.

I saw tons of doctors and had every test imaginable and they all came back negative (I was fine that is ) BUT every doctor prescribed depression meds to me AND said that my left ear looks pulled from a sinus infection and that it is red but it's not a big deal.

I used to have realllly bad ear infections as a kid.

I also have a small learning disability and depression runs in my family.

I also suffer from restless legs as stress in this but when I am less stressed they are fine.

My fog has been 24/7.

ENT's said I was fine and should see a neurologist.

Lately, since a bad cold, my left ear started rushing even more (after FINALLY stopping for months now....not the fog just the rushing of the ear...it gets sooo bad when I am stressed) and clicking every 10 seconds and it is starting to get painful.

I think it's an ear infection like my son has with his cold and I am getting it checked out.

BUT I am also going through grieving my abusive husband with our separation, his attempted suicide, numerous no contact breaches and court procedures.

So if depression causes ear problems I would be happy to know that because then it would make sense why I am feeeling worse lately. I hate not knowing what it is.

Could being choked cause long term effects like this?

With the symptoms I described....what tests should I take?

What could it likely be?

Please help me. I have full custody of my two beautiful babues and need to be well for them but I am soo sick of this ...literally.

Thanks in advance:)

Heather
I had similar ear symptoms that came on when I was pregnant with my second child.  I was extremely stressed, dealing with my high strung, hot tempered, controlling husband, and work and my other child.    I used to describe my brain as being stuck in petroleum jelly....brain fog central.  I started with muffling in my left ear, the nerve almost felt numb.  I was hearing a sound I describe as a tv between channels.  I noticed when I was muffled, I would get a little lightheaded.  I was dragging myself through each day, tired and exhausted from dealing with my physical symptoms and all the stress.  After two ear doctors that told me I had some nerve damage and there was nothing I could do about it, I finally saw an otolaryngologist.  He was shocked the doctors didn't recommend I see him in the beginning.  I was 32 at the time.  Too young to be having "old people's ears".   He ran a bunch of tests, and in my case, I had Meniere's disease.  At his recommendation, I did a food elimination diet.   I found out that gluten (wheat, barley , rye and oats) was causing the noise and hearing loss.  Then I tried getting rid of milk and that got rid of my muffling.  I also had the clicking in my ears - the doctor said it had to do with a muscle in the ear that caused the clicking sound.  All my symptoms went away on this diet.  Now I eat all proteins - fish, meat, chicken, etc. and veggies and fruits and rice and potatoes....I avoid bread, breading, soups with wheat flour, etc  I could go on here, but you'd have to look it up.  Look up celiac disease for the gluten free diet.  And try eliminating milk products for two weeks.  Milk is the #1 cause of ear infections in children.  Good luck.  I'll check in to see if need any more information.

Your kids are beautiful!  Hang in there!
Hi there!! Thanks sooo much for your kind and helpful post!!! I wil try this and see what happens!!! I will update you in time!!

Heather
Glad to hear from you!  I will keep checking your progress.  If you have any questions, let me know.

Hi Meniere135:) I have good news!!!! Great news, even!!! I found out what I may possibly have!! I may have what is called "Depersonalization Disorder"...due to the abuse I suffered. It's treatable with time and counselling and being out of the situation..which I have been for almost a year now. I will let you know if the diagnosis is true when I know more:D Thanks again and I am sorry it took me so long to respond...busy here!!
I'm crossing my fingers for you!  It's nice to find someone who cares and is trying to help you.

Good luck and I'll continue to check in!