Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ear problems: Pain, pressure, full feeling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Back in 2005, I started noticing that my right ear was always plugging up. At first, I was able to clear it out by popping my ear (pluggin my nose and exhaling forcefully), but eventually that stopped working too. After a couple of trips to the doctor to clean it out, I decided to have a tube put in. At first it was temporary, then I had a permanent one put in a few months later. It's been in there for around 4 years or so, and for the most part it has done its job well.

In the past year, I've had to go to the doctor to get my ear cleaned out about 4-5 times, to clear out wax buildup (this is something I'm going to have to live with, I guess). 4 months ago, however, I woke up in the middle of the night with a horrible earache. It was full of fluid and when I tried to gently massage my ear to maybe get it to move around, the pain was almost too much to bear. I had to go to urgent care and get an emergency cleaning. They put me on antibioic drops and gave me some vicodin. A few days later, the ear cleared up completely. It happened again last weekend, and I went through the same drill. I've been using antibiotics now for a week and have gotten another cleaning, but I still feel the fullness and pressure. It feels like the fluid is further in, behind the eardrum, and I'm worried that it's never going to come out. I feel like my doctor is not interested in exploring other options beyond antibiotics and waiting for it to clear up.

I have been dealing with this problem on and off for 7 years now. It has a definite impact on my quality of life, as I am in constant discomfort and am always dizzy. I am hoping someone here may have a few ideas or suggestions that go beyond what I've already been told.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It could be chronic otitis media and may take time to clear up. Have a culture and sensitivity test done to find out the correct antibiotic that the infecting organism is sensitive to and taking this medication for the required amount of days may help to clear infection.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.