Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ear ringing, crunching and crackline

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ear ringing, crunching and crackline

Hi All,

Anyone have this? Left ear ringing high pitched for 5 weeks, sounds like a tv monitor. Left ear has swollen gland behind it. Had CT scan and left sinus (ehtmoid and maxillary) are fill with mucous. Ears crunch and crackle every time I swallow. Dr. says I have severe staph infection, swollen eustachian tubes, How long will this take to heal? I'm on 3rd round of antibiotics, flonase, saline spray, zyrtec. Any thoughts appreciated. Also,  my ears constantly feel like I have to pop them, which I can do by just pushing pressure up through my tongue.
I've had this EXACT same thing since mid March.  Started out with pain and ringing in the left ear, swollen gland behind it.  Then moved to the right ear.  Accompanied with a sinus infection and severe sinus pressure.  Sinus infection has went away, glands are no longer swollen, still crunching and ringing in both ears.  My doctor put me on a round a antibiotics and didn't help.  ENT doctor said it was tinnitus, although I have no hearing loss.

A few friends and my father in-law had this exact same thing as well.  The ringin in their ears lasted between 2-4 weeks.  I've had it for 2 1/2 months.

I hope it goes away.  I believe it may be allergies that seem to get worse every year.  Sometimes (lately) my ears will "pop" and it feels good periodically.  So I have some hope it will eventually pass.  It caused anxiety and sleeplessness at first, now I can ignore it all but at night.  I sleep with a fan on now.

Also the ENT doctor said the pressure was normal in my ear and that all muscles were functioning normally.  I think they may have missed something, whatever is in there making that crunching noise (eustachian tubes?) isn't right.  People around me can actually hear the noise come out of my mouth and ears...
wow...sounds exactly like me! My ENT doctor is convinced this all stems from eustachian tube swelling, which I have. The ringing flucuates from loud to really soft...everyday seems different. Apparently, if the sound flucuates, this is a good sign. My problems started mid-April. I am seeing an allergist on Friday to see what is going on. All the meds don't seem to work...I have heard that this can take a while to clear up.

By the way, my ear pressure was normal. However, ear pressure can be normal but you can still have build up in the middle ear. If you can pop your ears (which I can crunch and pop them at ANY time) your tests will read normal. You definitely still have stuff in your tubes, and therefor your ears...causing the ringing.

I know it will pass. I have no heariing loss either. Very strange yet similar experiences. Out of curiosity, where do you live? I am in central shore NJ. I have never known so many adults with ear issues as I know this allergy season.

I live in Lower Michigan, and yes, the ringing fluctuates in pitch and intensity often.  Can be a soft hiss to a loud buzz and sometimes even a "beep"!  The ENT I went to thought that was strange and possibly promising that it would change so drastically so often.

There's days I go without noticing it all until I get home from work.  If I keep my mind off it it's not there.  As soon as it's quiet and I think about it, it's back....

All this stared when pollen levels were high with the dry spring this year.  March 18th...I'll post back once in a while with any updates.

One other thing interesting.  I get canker sores.  The ringing started when I had one.  This week I got another one and the ringing is more intense this week.  I usually feel down in the dumps a bit when I have a canker sore, like it's brought on by another viral infection.  I wonder if this may be a viral infection and not allergies at all?
yes! I bet it is!!! I think that herpes virus (causing canker sores) can cause allergic reactions that are quite bad...this would make sense with you.
I wanted to let you know that my ringing sounds like yours, no beeping, but tv monitor hissing. Some days not bad, some days BAD. But, it started at the height of allergy season.

I was just diagnosed with Lyme Disease. Apparently, ear ringing is a side effect of this. So my thinking is that Lyme set my system up with this and allergies are making it worse. I have started watching the pollen count, and when it is high, my ear is the worst.

I am now on doxycycline for lyme. Also on allergy med astepro and flonase. I don' think it is my eustachian tube anymore, but more just inflammation in my inner ear from lyme and allergy. Keep me updated, hope you are well soon!
I have been having crunching and popping ears for a month now, constant ringing in my left ear that goes away in the morning sometimes for about 20 minutes, my ears always feel uncomfortable and i'm really worried it's permanent tinnitus. Did any of your ringing go away?