Ear vibrations
My ear has been 'vibrating' off and on for the past 6 hours.  It's not uncomfortable, just annoying ... when it does vibrate, it sounds like something just inside my ear flaps around a dozen times, then stops suddenly.  It's just in one ear, and I can't tell how I'm setting it off.  I don't have a cold or any sinus problems, and I can hear fine out both ears.  Sometimes, it just vibrates once with a little 'thump' sound.  I haven't been around large speakers, either.  No new medications, etc.

Do you know what this might be ... or how long it might last?

Thank you.
There can be a fluttering type of tinnitus. This is associated with a spasm of the muscle that tenses up the ear drum (tensor tympani).

http://www.familymedicinenews.org/archives/2005/2803(FM).htm

I have to say it is a freakish experience, it feel like there is a moth trapped in the ear.  
There can be a spasm of the stapedius (another muscle in the ear) also.  
Since it has just started, I would give it some more time, it will likely resolve on its own.  I don't mean to scare you, but I've seen a few cases of multiple sclerosis with one of the initial symptoms being fluttering, machine-like tinnitus.  If it does not go away, see an Otolargyngologist and audiologist.
He is correct, it can be a precursor....   but a lot of folks have it, including me. If you really took the time to cruise this site, you will find others that have complained about this too. So in other words, you are not alone.

Thanks for posting.
Hmm... have you by chance ever seen a case of MS in which BPPV episodes in one ear caused simultaneous stapedial spasms/fluttering in the opposite ear?? This happened to me 100 percent consistently over 4 days a few years ago (until I did a crude Epley on myself at home, which stopped the whole thing). I was never firmly diagnosed with anything; MS was suspect in the past on the basis of other symptoms e.g Lhermitte's and "cranial neuropathy," but I haven't been followed in the last 4 years. I just know that opposite-ear fluttering is NOT a normal part of BPPV.

Deeberz, I agree with the doctor to give it some time--as W/a/J said, a lot of people seem to get this fluttering, and unless you have other weird symptoms MS is not likely. Yes, if it doesn't go away see the specialists mentioned (GP type doctors are not likely to know much, if anything, about this).

I'm sure it must be annoying, but it's most likely harmless, like a muscle twitch that comes and goes.

Nancy T.
how's it going now?
I know this is a few years late, but it could be a Vitamin B12 deficiency.  I came across a little blurb once while researching this issue (I have the same thing - it sounds like I'm trying to radio the mothership!) about Vitamin B12 helping to get rid of it.  I found out I did have a Vitamin B12 deficiency, started taking some and almost immediately it decreased!  After a little bit it went away completely and I stopped taking the supplements.  A few months later it has started to come back...guess I need to get on my supplements again!