Ear "whooshing"
I've been having a problem for a little while now with what I believe it is called pulsatile tinnitus, and I experience it as a sense of murmuring or purring just under my right ear. It comes and goes but I am worried as to what causes this, as I've read on this site and elsewhere that it can be a sign of a problem with carotid arteries or a symptom of an AVM or aneurysm. What causes this symptom and is it always serious?
I would recommend having some scans of your head and vessels done, i.e MRI Brain/Head WITH contrast and an MRA OR an MRI Brain/Head WITH contrast and an CTA if possible.  

An AVM or aneurysm IS serious.  I don't know if you have either, but I would recommend investigating what is the source of your problem.  You could also have a problem with your eustachian tubes causing this tinnitus.  
Thank you,
I have an appointment with a GP on Friday. How do I go about getting this checked out? If the doctor listens to the carotid artery and can't hear the bruit am I to assume that it is not vessel-related? Or do I still push for those tests?
Hearing a bruit from your heart is not going to determine what is going on in your head.  I would recommend pushing for the imaging.