Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ear "whooshing"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ear "whooshing"

I've been having a problem for a little while now with what I believe it is called pulsatile tinnitus, and I experience it as a sense of murmuring or purring just under my right ear. It comes and goes but I am worried as to what causes this, as I've read on this site and elsewhere that it can be a sign of a problem with carotid arteries or a symptom of an AVM or aneurysm. What causes this symptom and is it always serious?
I would recommend having some scans of your head and vessels done, i.e MRI Brain/Head WITH contrast and an MRA OR an MRI Brain/Head WITH contrast and an CTA if possible.  

An AVM or aneurysm IS serious.  I don't know if you have either, but I would recommend investigating what is the source of your problem.  You could also have a problem with your eustachian tubes causing this tinnitus.  
Thank you,
I have an appointment with a GP on Friday. How do I go about getting this checked out? If the doctor listens to the carotid artery and can't hear the bruit am I to assume that it is not vessel-related? Or do I still push for those tests?
Hearing a bruit from your heart is not going to determine what is going on in your head.  I would recommend pushing for the imaging.