EAR, NOSE & THROAT
COMMUNITY
Ears leak at night
by becca3, Nov 02, 2008
Does anyone have any idea why my daughter's ears would leak at night?  She is 35 years old and has been to a few ENT's who have said she has no problems.  She even had an MRI, which was normal.  It is clear  fluid that feels warm when it leaks.  It wakes her up almost nightly and then she cannot go back to sleep.  I am concerned since the lack of sleep has really affected her.  Her ears pop every once in awhile, but other than that, there are no other symptoms.  Any ideas?  Could it be a CSF leak?  Thank you!
Member Comments (12)
by AshleyLynn, Nov 02, 2008
Does she shower before she goes to bed? Even if not, It could be water getting in her ears...maybe suggest she use ear plugs when taking a shower.

An MRI should have been able to diagnose a CSF leak, so I don't know if I'd be too concerned about that.

Does the fluid have a smell at all? How much fluid?

Ashley
by becca3, Nov 15, 2008
Thank you for your response, She has had MRIS and it is not from taking showers since she does not wash her hair every night.  Not too much fluid, no smell.  She has been to a few ENT specialists and they all say there is nothing wrong.  Thank you.
by AshleyLynn, Nov 16, 2008
Generally with a CSF leak there would definitely be other symptoms...especially headaches, etc.

There usually isn't any other fluid in your ears besides ear wax, which can be a variety of colors/textures. If her ENT isn't concerned, and she doesn't have any other symptoms...maybe she could try putting either cotton balls or ear plugs in her ears at night so she doesn't feel the fluid come out?

Best of luck!
Ashley
by LizzieE, Mar 06, 2009
I have the same issue.  It's very frustrating.  Every night if I wake up I have fluid in my ears and in the morning.  It's not a lot but sometimes it will make a q-tip quite damp.
by snichelson, Nov 16, 2009
I too awaken at night with clear fluid in my ears...which is sometimes painful. I have severe headaches/migraines, dizziness , blurry vision, and many more symptoms. My eye exam and an MRI were both unremarkable. So I have no idea....but I have read that CSF leaks can be very difficult to find.
Good luck to you.
sharon
by elisad22, Mar 29, 2010
I have the same problem but my doctor says its not a problem....well it is for me..its very uncomfortable!!
by trey26, Sep 16, 2010
I been having the same thing i would wake up and my pillow has wet pots on it where my ear has been leaking clear why is that it is sometimes a light brown and sometimes there is blood mixed in with it. and it is sometimes sticky. This has been going on four about 2 months now i went to the doctor and they gave me meds for it and it never worked i wonder if it is csf please someone please help me out this is getting out of contorl
by grams178, Mar 09, 2012
ME TOO!! I have this problem as well. Every night, usually one ear, a qtip is soaked when I clean out my ear.. There is no smell and it is clear.. During the day my ear gets extremely itchy like there's bugs crawling in my ear.. Its gross.. Today I went to the Dr to get it squirted out but they said, my ear was as clean as can be.. no ear wax.. ??? not sure what to think..
by grams178, Mar 09, 2012
Hi :  I have already made a comment right above, but just remembered that my nurse told me that it could possibly be your ears draining, if you've had water in your ear from either swimming or an infection in your sinus'... just a thought. It made sense to me.. I was sick a week ago, but this leaking of my ear has gone on for a month now.. this is also not the first time I have had this problem...