Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ears plugged for year now.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ears plugged for year now.

I had my ears plugged for a year now. Mostly my right ear, but sometimes my left. I think it was cleared up for 1 week since it started last spring. I've seen my doctor, ENT and now DR. again. They say it's allergies. I take the Flonase dayly, Claritin D (and numerous others that have failed). Nothing works and I'm becoming very irritable and depressed. This is crazy. I can't figure out why they won't give me more answers. I'm changing docs once again. I don't know what to do...can they put tubes in my ear? I want allergy testing done, but they won't do that either (HMO). What course should I take now. I can take it anymore. I believe its Eustation Tube Dysfuntion, but can't it be treated or is this something I have to live with..??
There is no effective treatment for ETD.  Your competent doctors gave you standard treatment.  Yes, I've had it, from an infection, and it is mentally draining.

Your doctors diagnosed allergies.  If so, there is one last resort that may work for you.  Nettle leaf capsules.  They have no side effects, and in about half of people they work for reducing or eliminating allergies.  I don't believe in any herbal magic, but rather some studies indicate that the magnesium in the capsules reduce allergic reaction.  You have to take them for at least 2 weeks to get an effect. Yes, I had horrid allergies, and the leaf ended them altogether.

good luck

Good luck.
thank you for your advice. I will try them. I will also try an herbal mood lifter as well.
I moved to Denver, CO from California and had nothing but awful ear fullness. It drove me crazy. I went to doc after doc that told me allergies, TMJ....etc!!! I HAD tubes put in my ears with still little relief. I ALMOST moved because I thought it was elevation, but found a wonderful doc that did a CT of my ears and the canals and found a small bone growth. I kept feeling like I had to pop my ears even with tubes in. He made me get allergy tested and I did come up positive to everything around me, but allergy meds did not give me relief. I finally begged for him to give me surgery and he did and guess what? He said my bone growth was the WORST he had ever seen! Also in the midst of searching for answers they also found a cyst in the back upper part of my mouth. I had surgery on the bone growth and had the cyst removed and I don't have the pressure anymore!!!
Don't give up, it COULD be more than allergies!!!!
Good Luck to you, and there is HOPE!!!
Thank you for your story. It sounds a lot like what I've been going through for the past year. I'm going to ask for a CT and allergy test too. Was the bone growth in both ears. What would have happend if they did not do the surgery. I have a HMO and I can't even get past them to specialists. My quality of life has gone down, way down. I can't stop popping my ears and it makes my jaw ache by the end of the day. Thanks again.

The growth and cyst were both on the right side. I had sensation to pop both ears though. It was weird. I think it is the equalization that goes on. I definitly think you should have them further investigate! I was so irritable and depressed too. It could be TMJ or a cyst, or allergies. Who knows, but don't give up!  I had a PPO fortunately, but maybe you can ask to see an ENT. Start there and see if they won't do a CT of your sinuses. IT could be so many different things! Good Luck!!!