Endlessly itchy wet ears
Since I was a child I have had ear problems but over the past few years I have had increasingly maddening ear problems.  I have used drops and anti biotics.  I sense relief then the symptoms return.  Most days I can hear but am constantly aware that my ears are itchy.  The challenge is to not itch.  If I itch, I usually get flaky stuff that I literally can lift off my inner ear.If I itch too much it becomes wet and begins draining a wet clear fluid.  Then at night, whatever side I lay on clogs shut.  In the morning there is thick crusty crud that again I try not to pick at.  Im obviously in continual circle of symptoms here.  Dr's seem to think I cause this problem by itching which causes infection which causes itchiness. HELP please?  I am open to homeopathic suggestions as mainstream medicine just seems to temporarily relieve the symptoms and not cure the cause.  Thanks in advance
Thanks your NotAlwaysHere for that tip I do still have ears itch and will try the Rosehip oil dropped on a Q-tip-- I'll report back

By Way of update I posted this as a reply to my comment-- the cures shared on this site ...Seborrheic Dermatitis Cures
http://bulldancer.wix.com/seborrheic-derm-cure
Did Work for me.
I also stopped wearing earrings in my pierced ears - not sure if that was causing me an allergy reaction  to gold or nickel or EMF (Electromagnetic Fields) issue.
So the simple free (non commercial) cures at the Seborrheic Dermatitis site  or not wearing earrings any more really helped me.
I still get wax build up in my ears and if I get any water in them in the shower etc they still feel full at times and I use nightly drops (3 drops each ear) of OTC Hydrogen Peroxide and that works for me.
Hope this helps someone like it helped me.
I am very thankful to God for what I learned.  

I have this problem, too! I heard that if you use a capful of hydrogen Peroxide that it helps. I JUST did it, it tickles like crazy, but when I tilted my head and let it drain out, the peroxide was tinted yellow, and after gently using a Q-tip to absorb the rest, There was a lot of loosened ear wax that came out on the swab. And my ears stopped itching. I don't know how long it will last, but it's a quick fix!
OK, i don't live in a country where Dermotic oil is recognized.

but I have been prescribed something that does work, but doesn't cure, it will come back, and will need to be prescribed again.

It took a referral to a private clinic, and cost me in excess of £300 for the privilege. Specialist sucked all the puss out of my ears, gave me a scrawled piece of paper with something undistinguishable from Klingon scribbled on it to take to my gp, and it worked a treat

its called Ciloxan 0.3% eye drops.

get a syring, wash ears out the best you can getting rid of the white blood cells/puss, dry as best as you can, then start the drops

itchiness, soreness, weeping, ringing, and deafness gone within 6 hours.
also, it relieved all the symptoms for about 8 months first time round, it then came back, I had a fresh bottle in the medicine cupboard, but this did nothing.

this stuff goes off, if you need more, you gotta go back to the quacks and get a fresh bottle.
P.s, the symptoms I have before i take this med,

Aching jaw from the inflammation of the tubes behind left ear
Crusty sore stuff that hurts to remove
Constantly wet ears no matter how you try drying them
Under water hearing
Tight ears around the cartilage
Ears having their own pulse
Ear canals as itchy as hell, that you can never stop playing with

I purchased Aquaphor healing ointment while waiting for Zymoz without hydrocortison to arrive in the mail. By the second day of using Aquaphor, most of the leaking ear issue went away. I used a cotton ball with water to remove the crusty dried liquid. I then applied Aquaphor in small amounts three or four times the first day. When the ear would leak, I would add a little bit more. Amazingly, by the second day, the leaking had mostly stopped. I think the Aquaphor provides a barrier for the skin that allows it to begin to heal itself.

Zymox arrived the second day and I put two drops in my ear. The feeling of fullness is going away. I think I'm going to be back to normal after four plus weeks of having an ear infection and five days of having a wet ear.
I have spent the last 10 years with the same problem. I was given steroids that worked sometimes but it never was gone I even took oil of oregano pills till my liver was screwed up . One day I got a really bad ear infection it was Saturday so had had to go to after hours. . It was so bad I knew I was going to loose my  hearing . I told the doctor that I knew I had the infection but I have been fighting this other think  with the itching ,oosing,flaking . So she gave me oral antibiotics as well as Neomycin and pol yin B sulfates and Hydrocortisone otic solution they were drops I put in 3 times a day  for 2 weeks she said that if I had a fungal infection it would clear it. .....I am afraid to say I am cured  because it has been 2 months and everyday I wait for it to return but it has not . I just want to  say this doctor gave me my life back and unless you have had it you would not understand . Please go ask your doctor for it  it can't hurt and I hope it works for you
Today my ear no longer feels full. It feels normal. I put several drops (three or four) of Zymox in my left year. I got over being afraid of using it and just put the drops in and held my head sideways to let the drops roll into the ear.

So for me, it took seven days! I won't be afraid to use it in the next few days if I think I need to.

I'm glad it worked because I was starting to go crazy.
Hi guys,

I too suffer from many of the symptoms described by so many of you.....I've been suffering with this condition for at least 7-8 years, fortunately my symptoms are limited to just the constant wet, draining of large amounts of ear wax along with some mild itching/discomfort and none of the flaking, infections or severe itching, pain or bleeding.  Basically my issue is just copious amounts of a wet earwax draining(especially when i lay down) that causes some mild itching and discomfort enough to make me mess with my ears all the time.  I do NOT stick anything inside them, including q-tips....instead I get relief by gently massaging in and around my ear and like a swimmer trying to get water out of their ears, I will use my fingertips placed over the outside of my canals and gently/rapidly wiggle and apply pressure.  when i do this I can instantly feel the wax loosen up and start draining from my trapped body heat combined with the pressure/motion...it feels really great but can makes it more itchy sometimes and when I pull my fingertips away they are often completely covered in sticky, liquid earwax with a distinctly sweet odor.  the amount of wax that comes out like this on a daily basis is unbelievable and sometimes when I sleep all night on one side with my ear pushed tightly against the pillow I will even find a small "wet" spot from the ear wax draining all night.

Anyways after reading through the internet for several years, including this thread for the last couple hours, I can't believe how many people share this same issue....and I was even more surprised by the lack of any real diagnoses....and completely shocked by some of the "treatments" people have come up with.  Putting pro-biotic YOGURT in your ear?  Putting garlic laced coconut oil?  i mean lol come on people, where have your brains gone?

first of all, I'm 100% sure there are at minimum 3 different causes of these issues....the people with the sores, bleeding, severe itching, infections etc should definitely go see doctors.  those with the more mild symptoms who have been diagnosed by ENTs and such as having Excema, fungal infections etc...should probably try the drops/creams mentioned by others.

All that being said, I'm pretty certain that a very large percentage of the people in here, particularly those with reoccurring symptoms, are suffering from something much more subtle, simple, and yet harder to diagnose......which is simply too much DUST in your living spaces.

I will bet a pretty penny that a huge number of you suffering from these symptoms are spending many hours each day inside of the same, dusty building(probably your home).  If you are not dusting AND vacuuming regularly with hypo-allergenic filters etc, the problem will never go away.  You also need good, clean hypo-filters for your AC/Heat units too or cleaning regularly will not be effective.

The issue at the core here is a mild-severe allergy to dusts/etc....then after the symptoms start, many of you are messing with your ears too much by sticking all kinds of objects , solutions/drops inside...or even just cleaning too often with water.  As many others have mentioned, ENTs will tell you that the ear is a very sensitive environment....if you mess with it too much you will strip away the natural protective layers of wax/skin, the ear will be very vulnerable and problematic.  so regardless of the original source of the problem, if you're constantly scratching or cleaning, or putting all these crazy solutions/drops(RX or homeopathic, it doesn't matter) inside, you're ear will be unable to heal properly and protect itself....and the problem will continue to come back.

so basically if you've had no luck going to your Doctors or even ENTs, or you've had temporary success using some other treatments etc.....you should take a good look at where you are spending time at indoors and if possible, try to reduce the amount of dust by cleaning properly at least a 3 times a month....this means dusting meticulously BEFORE vacuuming with a well-filtered device, and making sure the AC/Heater have clean air-filters.  now almost more importantly, you MUST stop messing with your ears and allow them to function normally, unassisted by any drops/solutions/etc....eventually they will be able to heal up and protect themselves again.

Hope this helps.
Lol, I was waiting for PappoDillio to try to sell me a vacuum cleaner or duct cleaning.

In all seriousness, I do believe in my case it's allergy related, perhaps seasonal. I definitely notice the itch and drainage intensifies after I eat certain foods.

I've tried nearly all the meds mentioned on this board and my infection may clear up temporarily, but it always comes back.

I need to try the medicated aquaphor. If it works, it might be a cheap way to control it. Some of my meds have cost over $200 per prescription.
Hi everyone
i feel i have to share some info with you that may well help as it worked for me.
I woke in the middle of the night 5-6months back with intensely itchy ears, itched them and.left subsequent damage assuming just scratches however like people on here it would not heal and if disturbed from dryness leaked a lot,.for hours and when dried had that thin white crust that falls off easily re-beginning the process. My GP was little use and struggled t find info on line, still don't know what it is/was.

Anyway i decided to put plasters over the areas affected and keep them there for as long as could - figuring it wouldn't.get disturbed that way and fall odf
...... And try to get to the next phase after those slight crusts, which noticeably formed. I figured anything would heal given enough time.
it worked. My left ear is almost 100% and my right the same apart from the loube which i want to.start this process on. Though both feel vulnerable to the same again and a dryness slightly forms by morning.
Of course I also stopped the itching because i wanted this to go away. Its a sensation almost as if in the ear as when you distort the ear folds etc you can feel something. This doesn't happen with cleared areas, the affected loube us by far the most.tempting itch area at present.

hope this helps, may have left stuff out as I'm sneakily doing this on my phone at work but am happy to help with any queries as i was as desparate a few months back

good luck guys
I ran across this page so many times when I would endlessly search for a cure for my itchy ears -- they lasted for 16 months and made me absolutely miserable. Went to 2 GPs, an NP, accupuncturist, two ENTs, a dermatologist, did numerous cleanses and tried everything natural and medical in the book including high doses of diflucan and finally a 3rd ENT was able to help me! I swore to myself I'd go back on the pages and let everyone know the answer for future googlers. :-)

The athlete's foot Lotrimin drops gave me a horrible reaction, and I tried many other anti-fungal lotions -- but they just never got down in there far enough. The ENTs swore to me there was nothing else I could try (okay, point being, this was really bad)

The answer for me was an Rx for CLOTRIMAZOLE-BETAMETHASONE LOTION. It's a thin enough lotion that it actually slid down into my ear.

I'm not sure many doctors would think of it, since the first two ENTs didn't. (one of them prescribed me oral nystatin b/c he claimed there were no other drops to try -- as in a sticky sugary substance to put in my ear!! Say what?!?!)

So good luck to anyone else out there experiencing it. This was a nightmare for me that I am so, so thankful was finally resolved.
Have suffered for many years with ear problems and benign positional vertigo which may be the cause of the dizziness some have mentioned here.  Please stop putting objects in your ears.  Haven't you heard 'don't put anything in your ear bigger than your elbow'.  It seems that many fellow sufferers make their condition worse by what is placed in their ears and the biggest NO NO is Qtips.  You must see a Ear Nose and Throat specialist to try and have your problem diagnosed.  If and when they are of no help then maybe try SOME of what others are doing as mentioned in this thread.  My ENT prescribed CIPROXIN HC ear drops.  Fantastic.  
Misery love company :) I too get itchy ears. We moved and are on well water now. I have a salt water softener installed but still plagued with itchy ears (if not made it worse). Since the move my ears are driving me insane.
I believe it is a combination of things that causes this. Eczema, allergies, a fungal bacteria and dry skin.
It seems to me the Doctors don't take me very seriously probably because I don't whine and cry enough.    
First think I do is to plug my ears so water doesn't get in when I shower.
Old habits are hard to get rid of. I still often just jump in the shower and forget the ear plugs :) Make sure you dry you ears with a Q-tip to get all the moisture out of you ears.
I use a mixture of 50/50 alcohol and vinegar one drop for each ear as many times as it feels good. Sometimes that is all I need to get rid of the itch and other times I need more.
I use polysporin and sometime I have made my own cream up with 50/50 polysporin and Hydrocortisone Cream. It too works pretty good.

I caught this horrible cold and with it my ears started driving me crazy. It was really bad... one of my worse episode I have ever had... I tried everything above but couldn't get the itching to stop. This time I tried the tea tree oil. It helped a bit but still was itching bad... so I put the alcohol/vinegar drops in also about 15 minutes after the tea tree oil.
My ears starter to get really sore and I thought to myself. oh oh how you really over did it this time. Wow they really did sting :) but about a minute or two after it subsided and believe it or not I didn't have a problem with my ears for the rest of the day. All I know is that the cure is not a exact science but this is very close and it works for me.

I have the same issue.  I took some antibiotics 2 years ago and the tinnitus started.  It was awful at about a 9/10.  Then after about a week it went down to about a 4/10 and I could function.  I'm sick now and took some more antibiotics and it looks like it was the same stuff or very similar.  My ears are ringing off the charts and I can't sleep, I'm depressed, panic attacks.  I've taken myself off all meds and am drinking a ton of water to try to flush out my system.  However, I think I will have this condition the rest of my life.  
I have been reading posts all last night and this morning about the itch, drainage, crusting, onion looking peel, burning, soreness and obsession to touch ears.  I, myself, think it's a yeast abundance.  I messaged my doc this am and he gave me an oral Diflucan pill which is an antifungal.  I will let you know the outcome.
I've posted about my experience with a fungal yeast infection in my ears on another thread. Here's my latest comment, in the hope that someone here may find it useful:

Update: The condition returned (itchy eczema on outer ear, leaky fluid, pain and itching in inner ear)--so I finally went to an ENT, and am thrilled to report that I found a wonderful university-affiliated doc who has helped immensely.

Yes, the problem is a fungal yeast infection (Malassezia), as the nurse practitioner had said earlier (see my previous posts). Here's what the ENT doc did, and the problem seems to be 99% solved after two visits: He suction-vacuumed the yeast growth from inside my ears (a little bit painful, but not nearly as painful as the actual ear problem, and the procedure only took a minute). Then he sprayed boric acid powder deep into my ear canals. He prescribed Mometasone Furoate 0.1% ointment for the dry, flaky skin on the outer ear. My inner ears are now dry (leaky fluid is gone) and they no longer itch. I apply the ointment once a day, and the horrible redness on my outer ears is gone. There's still some dry skin, but nothing like before.

If you decide to go to an ENT, call their office beforehand and ask them to tell you EXACTLY how they treat inner-ear yeast infections. If the ENT's treatment does not include suction vacuuming and boric acid powder, then cross that doc off your list and call another ENT until you find one that does. Boric acid is as old as the hills, and it WORKS. But the powder needs to be sprayed deep into your ear, and the ENT will have the equipment for doing this.

My hearing is back to normal, and it is so great to be rid of the ITCH. Rather than a food allergy, I'm now wondering whether the condition originated from sitting in a sauna at the YMCA. The problem seemed to start shortly after I joined the Y a couple of years ago. I don't swim, but I did take aerobic water exercise classes and got pool water in my ears. I also liked to sit in the sauna. The ENT doc said to keep water out of my ears, and to avoid the sauna (which causes the inner ear to sweat). And don't use q-tips!

I hope the problem is now solved, but if it returns I'll book another appointment for ear vacuuming and boric acid treatment. I also hope this info helps others who are dealing with the same problem. Good luck!
What I find while reading all these posts is that some people feel that what has helped them is the remedy for everyone. The cause of itchy ear can be quite different from person to person. I have been battling this for thirty years. Mine started very typically-q tip overuse and then the itching that leads to scratching until my ears are bloody-then the horrible dry and cracking flaky skin. Anyone with just one part of this can be in misery. My last doctor said I know have psoriasis and ordered Clobetasol Proprionate ointment 0.05%. It works for me. I had been given other creams and motions, but they were not as effective as this. Only the ointment is oily enough to penetrate the heavy scaling and then it all peels off. I feel normal for a while......
Did your tinnitus go away?  Or did it lessen?
Worked immediately for me too.
Hi Everyone - I had the same thing for many years and the ENT solved my problem.

My symptoms were:
- Very itchy ears (when I over used the Qtip my canals would get red, inflamed, swell and peel) and wet sensation
- Ongoing sinus - every sniffle progressed to a sinus infection
- Swollen sinuses and couldn't breathe through my nose (one small polyp not enough to restrict breathing)
- Very puffy under eyes especially in the morning and headache when waking up

Diagnosis: Staph infection (in nose) - swapped and tested

Cure: Nasal Bactroban (small amount up placed on Qtip up nose 2 times per day), plus Chemist had to make up a solution (prepackaged saline nose spray with a certain amount of Bactroban added) used once in the middle of the day.  This routine was for about 2 weeks.

Swabbed nose 1 month later all gone (so didn't need oral antibiotics).  Ear good.  Sinus good. Breathing good (feel refreshed when I wake up). Snoring gone.  Headache gone!
SORRY FORGOT TO ADD...to the above treatment.

- Bactroban applied to Qtip and placed in ear canal (2 times per day - morning/night)
- Antihistamine eye drops (yes eye drops over the counter from Chemist) to be used as ear drops (couple of times per day)

Apparently if eye drops are safe for your eyes you can use them in your ears (my ear drums were intact) they are safe for your ears.

This routine was also for around 2 weeks and during same time had to apply Bactroban up my nose.

For about the first week, the Bactroban didn't appear to have a smell.  As I improved, my smell came back (didn't know it had disappeared) and a week later I noticed that the Bactroban did have a slight smell to it.
I have been following this thread for a long time as I sought an answer to the misery of itchy, weeping ears.  Not only was it extremely uncomfortable, but it was hugely unsightly too.  I tried many things over the years and like others here, indulged in the Q tips far too often, scratching until my ears bled and the problem got worse.
Finally, I decided to try the Zymox and bought it from Amazon.  I was a bit dubious at first, but enough is enough and anything is worth a go.  I am SO grateful to the people who tried and recommended this before me - it was an absolutely miracle cure for me.  And I really mean cure - it's been 2 months now and my ears are totally healed, with not even a mild itch.  It took about 7 days to work, getting better every day after day 3.  
I still have almost a full bottle and for a few weeks after the itch/rash/discharge/crust vanished, I put in a tiny amount every 3 or 4 days, to be sure to be sure.  Now, I don't even do that but I'm holding on to the bottle in case I need it again.  I was (and am) prepared to have to repeat the 'cure' if necessary but I haven't scratched or Q tipped my ears since, despite swimming every day now, which used to drive my ears crazy.
Oh, and I haven't turned into a dog (woof!), I don't think ...
Can you please provide an update on your quacky new doctor's cure of Nasonex for your itchy ears? Is it effective, are you still cured? I've read through all the posts on this site and this solution resonates with me. I would like to try it and an update from you, since it's over a year later, would be most helpful. Thanks.
if you have parasite like me - they get into my ears  also impair hearing--i put permethrin cream in 2 times daily with q tip as far as possible--they cleared up--kept putting in cream for more days--finally one day a parasite (which was dead -small and black) came out with q tip
you can buy permethrin from canada paharmacys (india manufactured) without a percripition---if you have parasites get doxycycline 100mg--use 2 times a day for 3 months--doctors will not believe this will kill them---a study of an african village was just done (69 people with parasites) after it was done all but 2 paople were bug free--it does kill the parasite but it kills the bacteria in the parasite--they do not know why the parasite cannot live without the bacteria but they know the parasite dies after the bacteria in then dies
do not use any stairoids it is like putting gasoline on a fire
i have parastes all over me (long story) tehy get into my eyes and the only thing that gives me reklieve is lubricating eye drops--but my ears i used permethrin cream 5% got from canada (india manufactured) put in ears 2 time daily till it killed parasits--
I have been using Swimmers Ear drops after I wash my hair... seems if I control this, then my ears don't itch.  And if they do itch (and only if I forget to do the former), then I put some drops in my ear and I'm good.  
It has not "cured" anything, but keeps the itching at bay.

I put my head under water when swimming at a waterfall over 8 years ago. I believe this is where I caught this bacteria which is now happily living in my ears!
You know what i have suffered with itching right ear incredibly painful as well. A doctor i used to se said it was excema in the ear and gave me some drops that worked really well. For the life of me i can remember the name of the drops. So now five days after having the right ear syringed im in more pain and itching than i was in before.
Im at whits end trying to find the solution especially the itching you feel lke clawing the ear out seriously. Anyways i tried an antihistamine tablet for hayfever! from savers and it worked!! iv got savlon on the outside excema and now ill try the baby oil just inside a bit. Thank you for sharing your ear problem.
I was diagnosed with eczema in my ears in 2010, and have used just about everything listed here, some of it worked for awhile, but most products made it worse, especially cortisones. I agree with a lot of what is said in this forum that steroid type of ointments and drops do help temporarily, but can make the condition come back with a vengeance once you stop using it.  What I do now is clean my ears with apple cider vinegar diluted with filtered water and follow it up with biom8 oil that I get off the internet.  Yes, I do use a Q-tip, but just at the edge so that the apv or oil drips down the ear.This has been the most successful treatment for me and makes my ears feel so much better. No more sleepless nights with that insufferable itch!
Well I don't have a discharge or flakiness. .. or a smell. .. but some of the time not always my ears itch like crazy and feel very dry or very wet. .. like watery. .. This stated after I was cleaning them constantly with peroxide. . Just pouring it in and sticking a Qtip in and digging around. .. before that I produced a normal amount of ear wax. .. After that hardly any. .. then the dryness and itchiness started. .. then the wetness normally in the morning. .. what would be someone's advice to me?since I don't have the smell I don't think it's an infection. .. Since I don't have the white flakiness I don't thinks it's yeast, also I just got off an oral yeast medication for a different part of my body and I'm still experience my ear symptoms. .I don't have exczema anywhere else and no flakiness in ears. .. and I know is not swimmers ear at all. .. so which one of these remedies should I use? I have copied them all to my clipboard to save them on my tablet lol. .. For if I have to go to the doctor I can tell them what I need. Thank you for all your posts and info. .. and any advice you may be able to give me personally for my own situation
my ENT tell me never put anything in my ear - like a q-tip.
I found the pain was helped with running warm water from a shower spray up against the ear as a sort of wash - but then my audiologist who said the ears were fine - said that was a bad practice.
Try blow drying ur ears with the dryer set on cool. I believe it is a yeast infection in ur ears. Does it seem to be worse at times? Try keeping track of what u eat & see if foods with yeast ,sugar,alcohol,etc. Make it worse
Would you mind giving us the ratio of vinegar to filtered water that you use. How many ml or oz of each?

I would greatly appreciate it.
Does anyone have slight swelling of the inner ear canal and ear fissures? They can be so painful. I typically will use a triple antibiotic ointment on them and that clears them up and lessens the pain for a few days, but the constant itching ignites the fissures again (that never actually completely close) to reopen.

These symptoms of itchiness, clear discharge w/smell, fissures and slight swelling have been going on for almost two years.
Random, but how did you know if you had parasites in your ear? Did you see and ENT, Dermatologist or homeopath? Just trying to figure out the correct approach.
The Hydrocortizone caused the horrible dry crusty painful ear aftermath when you stop using it. It's not a cure - only a bandaide. The Doctors tell you to use it to manage a condition but it's not treating the underlying cause of the itchy flaky ear. I know - I went through the same thing. 3 years of itchy ears, went to 3 EMTs. First one gave me hydrocortisone with Acetic acid and it did the same thing to my ears that you are describing. Horrible. I'm trying to Zymox now, at least that treats the cause. Will see if it works.
Oh - by the way - what the Doctors don't tell you is that steroid creams cause permanent skin thinning on the body. That's their main side effect. Imagine the life long damage caused by permanent usage near your ear drum?
Barann, Hopefully you'll see this. I'm using the Zymox on day 2. After 4 years of itchy ears and trying every expensive solution under the sun. But what Im experiencing is without the hydrocortisone in the drops, my ears itch like MAD when I put the zymox drops in. So much so that I can't stand it and I end up itching my ears at night. Now my right ear feels full. This has never been a problem before so I'm wondering if you experienced something similar and if I just need to persevere...
Hi all. So, a few have mentioned this before, but not recently. Do you also have bad dandruff? If so, I would have you all tested for Sebbhorreic Dermatitis. It doesn't seem to be connected, but Sebbhorreic Dermatitis is a skin reaction to a fungus that usually lives without problem on human skin. Some say it's an allergic reaction, since corticosteroids seem to help (DermOtic is a corticosteroid). It starts in your scalp and can move down to beards and ear canals - any place that is kept warm and moist, by hair or structure. It usually doesn't get much farther than that. Sebbhorreic Dermatitis is characterized by thick, crusty patches covering red splotches on the scalp. It is often mistaken for dandruff - and in some places it is simply called dandruff - but you may have noticed dandruff shampoo like Head and Shoulders either does absolutely nothing, or makes it worse. Inside the ear, it tries to form crusty patches, but because the ear canal doesn't grow new skin so quickly, so it forms thin, flaky patches. If you can, try to have someone look inside your ear. Is there a red, blotchy patch in your ear?
My fiancee has Sebbhorreic Dermatitis, and we just found a treatment for it that seems to work. For him, it started out on the back of the scalp, and slowly moved to his beard and then into his ear. He is like many of you: incessant itching inside the ear, pulls out thin flakes, and once that is clear, the ear oozes a thin, clear, almost water-like substance. He tries to keep it dry with tissues, but I have a feeling that's not helping in the slightest.
We found out from an allergist who, as soon as he walked in, took one look at my fiance and said "Oh, you have Sebbhorreic Dermatitis." "What?" "Sebbhorreic Dermatitis. You have really bad dandruff, right?" We hadn't gone to him for that, but he recognized it from the red splotches under my fiance's buzzcut. He suffered from the same thing and gave us a prescription for some medicated shampoo, explaining that it was an allergic reaction to fungus that lived on the skin. We wound up losing the small, white cream once it arrived by mail (we were in the middle of moving). Since then it has moved into his beard and ears. On the off chance, I mentioned this to my hairdresser once and she immediately pulled out a shampoo from Avlon. Sure enough, it said it treated Sebbhorreic Dermatitis on the bottle. She explained she used to have it really bad. It used to spread down her arms when it got really bad, and would pain her. She had what she called a "later stage" of it, but said her problems completely disappeared when she started using it. She also mentioned that Sebbhorreic Dermatitis is more common in black folks, for some reason, but my fiance is white, so I'm not sure. She insisted that only black folks usually get it, so he must have some mixed race in him.
So, look for Avlon's KeraCare line. (Silvery teal bottle with a tawny-gold cap. Black box that says "Dry & Itchy Scalp" on the front. The back says active ingredient is Pyrithione Zinc 1%, used for "Anti-Dandruff, Anti-Sebbhorreic Dermatitis"; it is the first option I had when I searched on amazon for "avlon keracare"). It has both a shampoo and conditioner version, and my hairdresser said using both together has really changed her life.  We could only afford the shampoo, however, but my fiance has used it once so far and noticed an immediate decrease in the amount of dandruff and itchiness in his scalp and some relief in his ear.  Of course, don't put the shampoo inside your ear, but washing your hair will get the soapy (and now medicated) water inside your ear a bit.  I'm gonna look at that DermOtic that everyone else is raving about, too. Nothing better than tackling a problem from two sides.
I hope this helps someone else.
Send me an email to ***@****
Send me an email to ***@****
Send me an email to ***@****
RE Rash puzzle becoming clear by the Grace of God

-----------------------------
I  have been looking for answers for my rashes for 11 years. Thought perhaps it was related to Hypothyroidism since I was Dx about the same time.

Anyway all those years of suffering ...

I now strongly suspect Intertrigo is the problem with my ears as well as other skin fold rashes I have.

By way of update to my friend who suggested rose hip oil-- I tried rose hip but it did not help. My condition comes and goes but seems like it's been here for 5 months now (maybe it just feels like that long) -- Anyway I am considering Intertrigo with a genetic factor and taking P5P ( the active form of B6) to see if that helps. Someone also posted on Wedding Bee of all places that Cider Vinegar with drops of the Essential oil lavender had helped her with Intertrigo.

I'd been to many MD's (one Dx as candida rash- and that might be a factor), DO's Nutritionists, Metabolic Counselors, multiple Dermatologists (one Dx as Seborrheic Dermatitis) Endocrinologists, Chiropractors and Naturopathic doctors and holistic retreats for 11 years trying to get help. I've had tons of blood work and a very expensive Genova Diagnostics Cardio Ion test that included Organic Acids tests. I paid a lot of out of pocket fees was sold supplements, prescriptions and herbal tinctures etc resulting in little to no help.
And totally by the Grace of God I happened on this article
( http://www.naturalremedies.org/vitamin-b6/ )
about Vitamin B6 that listed Intertrigo ( which is a rash of the body folds) and when I looked up the pictures they match what mine look like. I am so very grateful to God but have to keep confessing the anger toward the Doctors and other practitioners who did not find this -- It took God who made me.
I know that God will now also lead me to help for this as well. I went back and reviewed the Organic Acids part of the Cardio Ion test and if I am reading it correctly it indicates low B6 really DL (less than Detectable Levels) of B6. Low B6 is shows multiple other things that suffer with.

Sorry to be repetitive but for more information ---Here are some notes I put in my health recap to my new doctor I am to see soon.
-Why do I have such problems with my ears?
Wax build up, swimmers ear and scaly to Wet/Dry skin behind my ears?
After suffering strange rashes for the past 11 years. I just began to research this today but believe it could very well be Intertrigo (rash of the body folds). Intertrigo is also a known symptom of vitamin B6 deficiency. I think the P5P form helps Intertrigo and also chronic inflammation, mild depression and SAD and high homocysteine which I have also suffered with. http://www.naturalremedies.org/vitamin-b6/http://allnutriments.blogspot.com/2015/04/vitamin-b6-deficiency-diseases.html and B6 can be depleted by many medications (oral contraceptives, hypertension drugs) and exposure to common toxins such as pesticides. Symptoms of B6 deficiency include neurological problems such as poor balance, fatigue and mental/emotional instability. Vitamin B6 status can be tested with the organic acid xanthurenate. [2] fromhttp://drsaulmarcus.com/mentalillness/Organicacidtestingmental.html
Hubby ( He has been on hypertension drugs 30+ years ) and I are both low B6 (DL which I think stands for below Detectable levels) per 7 9 15 Cardio Ion Tests.
So excited to have this possible Dx. with a new avenue to explore- I am amazed by God's grace.
--------------------------
I had the same problem for years.. finally saw a dermatologist - he gave me clobatesol ointment which I applied carefully with a qtip..  had to repeat once every week or two and now it's gone for good.. I'm convinced it was psoriasis - that's why the clear fluid starts after itching.. hope this helps:)
I had the same problem for years.. finally saw a dermatologist - he gave me clobatesol ointment which I applied carefully with a qtip..  had to repeat once every week or two and now it is gone for good.. I am convinced it was psoriasis - thats why the clear fluid starts after itching.. hope this helps:)
Thanks, that's good info
I had the same problem and like most of you, the doctors said there was nothing wrong. I was desperate. I tried using a steroid salve I had from a different problem. The itching stopped within a couple of hours and after applying for two weeks, my ears are symptom free. Good luck.
I have had an itchy/fluid left ear at night for a few months now.

Facts:
- I am 52 year old Female
- I have a dog
- Itchy/clear fluid in left ear at night
- I have IBS/GI problems - had Gallbladder removed
- I have tried taking Vitamin D/probiotic-not sure if different
- I sometimes take a multivitamin
- Tried swabbing peroxide 1x - stung a little
- I purchased Zymox but haven't tried it
- Symptoms several times from a beer? the night before
- Diet: dairy, soy, gluten, sugar, beer, soda?

I recently went to the ENT who said my ear was clean/clear with no wax nor infection. He suggested only wiping it with a rolled tissue (no Q-Tips) and rubbing some moisturizing face cream just inside my ear via my fingertip after my shower. Not sure if I'm convinced but will continue to try the above options and track results.

Facts:
- I am 52 year old Female
- I have a dog
- Itchy/clear fluid in left ear
- I sometimes take a multivitamin
- Noticed symptoms several times from a beer? the night before

I recently went to the ENT who said my ear was clean/clear with no wax nor infection. He suggested only wiping it with a rolled tissue (no Q-Tips) and rubbing some moisturizing face cream just inside my ear via my fingertip after my shower. I am not convinced this is the permanent answer. I will continue to try/track with  various options above.