Endlessly itchy wet ears
Since I was a child I have had ear problems but over the past few years I have had increasingly maddening ear problems.  I have used drops and anti biotics.  I sense relief then the symptoms return.  Most days I can hear but am constantly aware that my ears are itchy.  The challenge is to not itch.  If I itch, I usually get flaky stuff that I literally can lift off my inner ear.If I itch too much it becomes wet and begins draining a wet clear fluid.  Then at night, whatever side I lay on clogs shut.  In the morning there is thick crusty crud that again I try not to pick at.  Im obviously in continual circle of symptoms here.  Dr's seem to think I cause this problem by itching which causes infection which causes itchiness. HELP please?  I am open to homeopathic suggestions as mainstream medicine just seems to temporarily relieve the symptoms and not cure the cause.  Thanks in advance
Hmmmm, I am the only one with this??
I know someone hear (play on words) must have this problem.
Took new strong antibiotic pills along with a long dose of ear drops.  Dr. Said Chronic ear infections are harder to get rid of. No running in ears but still maddening external itching.  Crusty **** can be scraped off the itchy area. Its like dried onion skin.  C'mon I know I am not the only one with this ****.  Help!
I think we both have the same problem..Ive got the itching and the wet clear fluid, but mine ends up sticky with a nasty odour..And my left ear has clogged shut..but i am in extreme pain now because i hav swelling around my left jaw..and yes it is really hard o stop the itching..
But unlike u i cant take tablets..lol so i hope the doctors can sort it out coz it hurts sooooo much
Av, its horrible. Mine has been going on for three years.  The only benefit is that I do not hear my husband's snoring. I lay down and they immediately clog. I did used to get really nasty smelling crud out of them every morning. I have had times when my jaw is so sore, or my ear, or below my ear. This has been such a pain in "the ear" for me. Richt now the itchiness is truly driving me nuts. I have even restorted to putting cortisone creme or just good moisturizer in my ear to try to stop this madness.
My room mate and I quit smoking. we starting getting the same symptoms and blamed on physical change due to quitting smoking. we are now both losing sleep.
I think it must be contageous. Why did two of us get it at the same time? Will see doctor today.
my left ear itches just inside the canal. when i relieve the itch with a cotton swab flaky moisture comes out. a couple months ago i went to a doctor about dizziness and painless sinus pressure and congestion (which i still have problems with, so that was pretty much a waste of time) he looked in my ears and noticed a blistery looking spot where the itch was coming from. he gave me antibiotic ear drops and they temporarily relieved the itch but now its back. i think that was his solution to get me out of his office though haha. you shouldve seen him squirm when i mentioned the dizziness. i think he knew that itch had nothing to do with it but he just wanted me out of there for a while
The itch can drive you insane. Last night I was going nuts with intense itchy feeling.  Sure enough, when you try to relieve the itch you cause it to get all stirred up again and runny. All I want for xmas is Two new ears, Two New Ears.......
I went to the doctor. He told me there was absolutely nothing wrong, no infection, no punctured ear drum, and no wax build up. He said I was probably getting water in my ears from the shower and it was draining at night. I have been showering for 50 yrs and never had this problem. I read on another forum (regarding same thing) to use vaseline on a q-tip. Doctor said this did not sound like a good idea. My room mate decided to try it and is cured. I started doing it myself this morning. No itching. The draining actually keeps me awake. Will see if I have crust in the morning. Will let u know.
vaseline works
Do you have acid reflux/GERD?  I awaken most days with both ears feeling wet inside and my ear wax is sticky enough that I can stretch it out between my fingers.  My ears have been itchy for so many years that it seems normal to me to have them constantly itch and feel raw.  I made numerous trips to the doctor as a kid and even until my early 20s only to be told that I had no ear infection.  Now that I have severe GERD I am starting to wonder if these symptoms were a result of acid in my throat at night.  Try following the GERD improvement suggestions (especially avoiding certain foods and stopping eating a few hours before bedtime) and see if that makes any difference.  I'm having a hard time finding information about "wet ears" and acid reflux together, but I believe it's just a matter of time before we hear more about it.  I am having a hard time stopping eating and still I eat the problem foods (like chocolate, fatty foods, etc), but I have some food issues to deal with.  Please let me know if trying this helps you.
Glad to know other people are having the same symptoms. I have fluid from left ear only and then it forms a crusty layer and itches. Went to the doctor and they said the same thing about the shower thing which was rediculous. I have went to an ear noise throat specialize and they only gave me ear drops. the first dr suggested it was wax. I said wax isnt wet. I can feel it draining when Im laying down. I have had this for about 3yrs now. drives me crazy. I am thinking of going to a dermatologist next, has anyone went to one yet?
I know where you are coming from I thought I was the only one with this issue, my itching gets so bad that I scratch and dig until me ears scabb and hurt but I cant stop scratching because it itches so baddly.  I have stuck pencils, pens, keys, in my ear just to try and relieve the itching.  If you have any suggestions on what to use for the itching please help.
Itchy ears are actually very common.  They tend to be worse in people who make very little wax as wax typically lubricates and moistens the ear canal.  

There are several things that can be tried.  If the eardrums are intact, a drop or two of baby oil (mineral oil) every few days can help quite a bit.  Over-the-counter 1% hydrocortisone cream (apply to outer ear canal with the little finger) can be very helpful.  There are other prescription treatments (Dermotic oil) that can help also.

There are actually some people that have chronic external otitis due to fungal infections of the nails.  This is called an "id" reaction or dermatophytid reaction.  Treating the nail fungus will actually help the ears in some of these patients.  Strange but true.

Hope this helps!  See an ENT physician for a full exam if you are unsure as to the status of your ear canals or eardrums.
I also have had very itchy ears.  They started years ago before I had  my first baby.  After I had the baby, they got REALLY itchy and it wasn't until she was a year old that I discovered I was hypothyroid.  When I started taking the medication for my thyroid and my levels became normal, my itchy ears magically disappeared!  However, I had another baby.  It wasn't until she was 6 months old that I got itchy ears again.  My thyroid was off again, but this time my ears remained itchy after my medication was regulated.  Needless to say, I am very frustrated.  Now it is spreading to around my nose and above and below my eyes.
I have had ear trouble since day one of my life. I am the type to get swimmers ear from showers. I have a simular problem with gunk and itchy ears. I am unable to hear unless my ear is directed at what I am trying to hear. Some times they get so bad I have to go to the ENT specialist and have stuff suctioned from my ear once a week for about six weeks. Regular eardrops whether it is antibiotics, steroids, or whatever only make the situation worse. I got Domboro drops which helped with the goo. My ears still get dry and flakey. If I don't address the issue immediately, it will get worse. I was prescribed Elecon cream which helped with they dry, itchy and flaking. It still happens, mostly in the winter, though.  They still haven't given me a reason why or anything, though.
I have had the same problem for over three years now.  My family doctor told me to swab my ears with a mixture of alcohol and vinegar which gave me some relief for a short period of time.  I have been seeing an ENT now, once or twice a week, maybe 8 visits total.  We started with antibiotics and drops which worked while I was taking the drops.  Then the Doc did a culture and prescibed a new antibiotic, a creame and new drops.  I experienced the same outcome and the symptoms returned immediately after the medicine ran out.  The doc said she couldnt continue using the creame and drops because they had steroids in them.  The latest thing the Doc tried was an old fashioned medicine, I'm sorry I don't have the name, that she used to paint my ear canal and then sprayed some kind of powder on it.  I thought after two treatments that it was starting to improve but after a third visit it is getting worse again.  Symptoms are itchiness, very wet ears at night on the side or sides that I sleep on and a flaky crust type stuff that forms in the ear which is very hard to remove and hurts like heck when i remove it.  I am now preparing to go to a second ENT to see if he/she might have any more ideas.
My 12 year old son had a cholestoma removed about 5 months ago and his ear is not healing correctly.  He is having the same conditions as you describe above.  His ear canal swells almost close, itches terribly, is full of gunk and leaks at night.  He is not getting water in his ear (only baths and my wife carefully washes his ears) so we don't know what is causing the drainage.  The surgery was done by a reputable surgeon at Johns Hopkins Hospital but he said he's never seen this condition after a cholestoma surgery. He thinks the problem is due to the my son scratching but as you know its a  terrible cycle (itching, scratching, etc).  

Has anyone found anything that works?  He has no ear drum since the surgery.
I've had the same problem with my ears for about 30 years now off and on, sometimes it has gone away for a while, I'm not sure why...but has been constant for a few years now.   About 30 years ago I had a doctor, his name was Dr.Osheroff, I haven't seen or heard of him in years, anyway he told me it was some type of a fungus or mold and gave me some white cream from a tube that he just happen to have in his office, he gave me some in a little container (so I don't know what the name of it was, now I wish I would have asked) and instructed me to apply some with a q-tip he handed me, immediatly the itching stopped, it was like a miracle, what a huge relief!  I seem to remember only actually using it for about a week, I'm not even sure I had to use up the little container of it.  But I do know that It took care of the problem for years.  Now that the problem is back I've looked in our local phone book for the doctor to no avail.    Problem definately could be fungus, which would explain weepy, crawly feeling in ears........also seems worse after sugar comsumption (sugar feeds yeast).      
I have many of the same problems.  The doctor said I had seborrheic dermititis - which can also show up as flaky skin around your nose and mouth.  Using a prescription co-steroid cream helped the flaky itchy skin - - still dealing with the liquid running out of my ear.....
If the ear doctor doesn't help - see a dermatologist....
I'm no doctor, but been there, had that..........have them check for fungal infection or yeast! Betcha a week or two of distilled vinegar drops in your ear will eliminate this! Works better than the otc Lotrimin drops for ears! Hope this helps you...!
Funny tung
Let me try this again.  I recently used a dandruff shampoo and almost immediately the running of my ears slowed down to a near halt but now I have scaly skin in the outer ear with incessant ringing and my sense of smell is stronger.  Does this make sense?
It's kind of reassuring to read this thread and know that I'm not alone in being driven mad by ear itch. I also get the wetness at night or if I scratch too hard. I usually scratch with my pinky so I have to make sure the nail is short so I don't do any damage. My doctor looks in my ears and sees nothing unusual, just a bit of redness from my scratching, and occasionally some "excess" wax in one ear. Here's what he told me.
I am in a viscious circle of itching and scratching. My ears have become addicted to scratching and they need their "fix" regularly. But just like all addicts the more scratching I give them the more they want. I have to stop giving them their fix, so as to break the maddening circle. So I am trying this. I have now gone about 30 hours without touching my ears and it has been extremely difficult, because the itch is close to unbearable at times, and it is especially difficult at night because I get woken up by the intense itch and I have to remember to just bear it. I don't know how long it will take or whether it will even work, but I am going to give it my best shot. I was able to quit smoking many years ago, and I can telll you that this is just as difficult, if not more so.
I will keep you all informed.

ktb
I have to also admit it is so nice to hear there are others just like me.  I've tried lots of different things to get rid of this.  My doctor told me to try 50% vinegar + 50% alcohol....burns like crazy!!! and is difficult to do because it smells up my bedroom and drive's my wife crazy.  I also can't do it during the day because my coworkers would smell it as well.  I've tried squirting water into my ears to clean them out using the blue-bulb thing someone else mentioned.  that seems to help a little bit and i see lots of dry white skin and q-tip peices come out.  this is driving me crazy and i can't believe there's no remedy yet.  One thing that has also helped a little was putting a small amount of cortizone anti-itch (odor free) on a q-tip and putting that in my ears before leaving for work.  At night it gets pretty bad too.  I've woke myself up because i was itching my ear and didn't even know it.  and ya, when they get really bad they get that clear fluid that sits in there.  what is going on here??????  oh, i should mention this all started shortly after i got swimmers ear in both of my ears almost a year ago.  maybe i'll do as ktb is doing and try to go without itching.  good luck ktb!  i feel your pain.

rvdk
I too have itchy ears. I too have a crusty dry film, almost like dandruff of the ear. But mine is caused by a food allergy. If I eat seafood or peanut butter, it starts. If I don't, then it's gone. We didn't figure it out until I ate a bunch of crabs and the same symptom appeared on my eye lid. It's called an allergic dermatitis. Hydrocortisone helps and another produt called elidel helps, but don't use that one on your eyelids lol, made that mistake OUCH!! I really enjoy seafood though, so since my reaction isn't anaphylactic, I am sometimes willing to itch in trade for shrimp :)
I have been dealing with these same ear symptoms for most of the past year. I have been to an ENT and had my ears irrigated. I have done the vinegar drops and the hair dryer into the ear. Nothing has given me more than very temporary relief. I just stumbled across this site that looks to have a potential diagnosis/solution. (www.hillderm.com/skin-disease-treatments/itchy-ears.shtml) They call it Chronic Eczematous External Otitis and recommend prescription ear drops called DermOtic Oil. I have no idea how good the info is, but I'm going to check it out. I'm also going to look into the food allergy idea, as I'm the type that wants to know what caused this in the first place.

Thanks to you all for making me realize I'm not the only one with this crazy problem.
Just to update on my attempt to break the cycle of itch and scratch. I managed to go 3 days without scratching.(Just to clarify, when I say scratching I mean rubbing vigorously with my pinky. I don't actually scratch because I have cut the nail on my pinky very short). However I broke down in my sleep on the fourth night and my frantic scratching woke me up. So I had to start from scratch (nice pun, eh?) but this time I broke down on the second night. It seems night time is the worst for itching. So I decided I needed some help to break this addiction, as my doctor called it. I rummaged around in the medicine cabinet and found some Ketoderm cream 2% that was prescribed to me 2 years ago for athlete's foot. I figured if it could stop the itch of athletes foot (which is a form of fungus) then maybe it would work on my ears. I know I shouldn't be self prescribing like this, but doctors don't seem to have the answer. I checked on the internet for possible side effects and there were none. I have used it for 5 days now and I do think it is helping, though the itching still comes back from time to time. I'll keep at it for a couple of weeks and let you all know if it worked.

ktb
I too had similar symptoms that regular doctors could not explain.
As soon as I went to my ENT doctor and told him the vinegar drops burned he looked in my ear with a special microscope and sure enough it was ear fungus.  He scraped out my ear, swabed it with violet stuff (similar to what they do for babies with thrush) and gave me a prescription for drops that he said was the only thing that will kill fungus all of the others only keep it from multiplying.  I'll get back to you on what the prescription was.  I no longer have the itch, crust, etc. now I just have to deal with the perforated ear drum and eustation tube problems.
I have been using DermOtic oil for just over a week now. The discharge stopped after one dose. The itching took a little longer, just because the healing of my skin caused some itching. But it was only a couple days before I was totally itch free. My ears feel totally normal now--no plugging up, no fierce itching, no draining, and the skin is smooth and soft instead of crusty. I went to three different doctors for this issue and none of them suggested this prescription. The vinegar drops I tried dried out the draining and gave me temporary relief, but they didn't solve anything. These are completely soothing--they smell like baby oil--and I can't recommend them enough.
Hi, not 1  year, not 3, but 28 long years I have suffered with this ear problem.  Had several doctors tell me my ears were fine.  Sometimes I only wash my hair a couple times a week, but still thats what they said the liquid was.  I live in VT, certainly don't swim in the winter, I knew I didn't have Swimmers ear. The only help was cortisone cream, which would only help for an hour or so.   Also some cortisone drops, which never sunk in my ear canals.   I researched the web for years, sometimes I would read about someone that had a similar problem, but it just didnt completly match mine.  My ears have been worse the last few weeks, soaked in the morning, and like cornflakes the rest of the day.   My daughter kept listening to me complain and watching me dig dig dig in there.  Wrong or right I have kept the Q-Tip company in business for the last 20 years, couldn't survive without them.  My fabulous teenage daughter found this site the other night, I was knocked over the more posts she read, FINALLY, there are other people like me with this rotten problem.  Called my Dr. yesterday, picked up my prescription today for Dermotic oil, I just know this is going to be sucessful, and I so thank each and everyone of you for starting this blog.  I'll be back in a week to report, but I feel confidant that someone has finally found the answer. xoxoxoxo
I have put that oil information into my favorites.  It is reassuring to see that I am not the only person with this crazy ear thing. I too was driving my husband NUTS itching without even realizing I was chronically and continually digging.  I am so thankful mine have been in a calmer state since mistakenly getting dandruff shampoo in them. What a blessing!
Got the prescription Fri. afternoon,  Now its Sunday night , There is no crust in my ears, they are not itching and have not had any liquid draining,  This stuff is working, 30 years with this problem and it seems to be going away with just 2 days of this medicine.  Its too good to be true.  Will check in here in another day or two, damn, I AM  SO HAPPY!!!
Finaaaaaally! Some people I can actually relate to! Ever since I was 6 months old I started to get major ear infections. During my childhood, my ears were the worst. I went to my local ENT while all of these infections kept occurring. I went through so many painful procedures.I've basically gone through it all. Ear wicks, painful suctions, etc. They seemed to help me at first but then my ears got worse again. About 5 or 6 years ago, I had both my ear drums rupture at the same time. Let me tell you, that was the worst pain I think I have ever gone through. I wrapped a blanket around my head because any sound would kill my ears and I'd just rock back and forth. The pain was just unbearable. Anyways, after that my ear infections started to go away and haven't come back since. (KNOCK ON WOOD!) Hah. But for the past year or two I've had EXTREMELY itchy ears. Both of my inner ears get these irresistible itches. I use qtips all the time and I know that's so horrible but they're the only things that help me relieve the itches.I wake up in the middle of the night with the most crazy itches and it drives me insane! I hate being in public and getting ear itches because there's nothing I can do. I usually just close my ear & wait for it to go away but that's hard. I've used bobbypins and pencils just to relieve the itch in public when nobody's looking. It's so bad and I can't take it anymore. I clean my ears so much that no wax even comes out of them. I get watery ears a lot lately and I wonder what causes that. This is just really frustrating! I need to figure out what to do!
Hey, its now Wed. night, my ears feel like normal peoples ears!!!  This DERM OTIC OIL TOOK CARE OF MY EARS IN A COUPLE OF DAYS, remember I have suffered with
this for about 28 years, Thanks God my daughter found this site.
I have had itchy ears for 20 years.  I have been stuck in tan endless cycle of itch, scratch, react, crust, pick, react, itch, scratch, react, and so...
I have travelled the world with this awful complaint and have seen many doctors, ENT specialists, homeopathist doctors, professors and they all shrug it off with dermatitis.   Every cream I have tried has not worked.  I also tried the new Metascan and Nuruetrepan medication but again no luck.  
The best was Eumovate (UK, over the counter at Boots pharmacy) which stopped the itch for 4 months but then it came back and the cream doesn't work any more.

My story gets worse.  I now have constant Tinnitus and have been diagnosed with Menieres Syndrome.  My situation is now that I have severe itching in my ears, maddening high pitched white noise filling my head and feel like i've stepped off a roundabout every once in a while.
I also have problems now with changes with changes in altitude and lifts.

In my experience I would recommend the following:

1.  Avoid vaseline as it dries out the ears and makes them worse.
2.  Avoid sticking anything in your ear to scratch and pick.  Rolled up pieces of paper, cotten buds and finger nails will result in nerve damage and possibly Menieres Syndrome like me.
3.  Putting your head under the water.

If anyone can help I can be contacted at ***@****

Thanks.

(Scratch, Rub, Scratch, Fall Over...)

My doctor also said to use alcohol.  This nuisance is new to me... only a year or two of this misery.
It was like I was allergic to my own ear wax.

Then I went to a different doctor because I had a bad rash on my chest that also itched and wouldn't do away.  I told her about my ears.  She suggested using the cortizone treatment in the ears too.  It did offer temporary relief.  Now I can't hear properly out of one side... funny thing though... that ear no longer itches... but it does ring constantly and I feel like I'm under water.  

The other ear is still driving me nuts from itching.

Looking in here for help make me know that I have to make my doctor take these symptoms more seriously.
I thought I was alone.  I've been battling ear infections all my life.  I got a really bad one two months ago.  My ear drum ruptured and I've been in agony ever since.  My ear drum is healing but my left ear itches like crazy.  I keep resisting the urge to shove something in it but I have fantasies that one of these days I'm going to lose it in public.  It's driving me insane.  I see an ENT twice a week to have my ear suctioned.  Yesterday my ear canal was so swollen it closed.  I've had an ice pack on my head for 36 hours.  My jaw is swollen.  I spend all my time at work, in class or at the doctor's office.  Even worse, I live in Taiwan and my doctor speaks a minimal amount of English which makes my problem even more frustrating.  I've spent hours looking for help or others like me who might have alternate suggestions for relief.  I don't want to deal with this for the rest of my life.
I just wanted to add a postscript to my experience with the dermotic oil drops. They worked miraculously for me, but my symptoms came back after I stopped using them. I talked to my doctor yesterday and he advised me to do another course of the drops, but to taper them off instead of stopping them abruptly. So, two weeks of the drops twice a day, then once a day for a week, then every other day for a week, etc. He believes I had a rebound reaction to the steroid and that my ears need more time to fully heal.
Just thought I would share that, in case anyone else is having a similar problem.
i started suffering with itchy ears quite a few months ago and like the rest of you it would drive me insane especially in the morning....doc just said looked pretty normal.....anyway i also had mentioned it to my naturopath and she said that when the oils in our body were out of wack.....that the ears could be affected....whatever i bumped up my intake of fish oil on a daily basis and this definitely has made it much better......i take a spectrum brand capsule 360mg EPA/240DHA per serving which is 2 capsules...although somedays i just take 1 even though the recommended dose is 2 caps...anyway thought this might help
I have had the ithcy ear thing for 4 years now - - starting in one ear and recently moving into the other ear (i believe after scratching the ear with a bamboo chopstick - works great by the way - that i had used on the itchy ear).  The itching gets intense after eating sweet fruit or honey  or when my blood suger drops (my family and i eat only raw food no refined suger or the like now). I have had severe candida in the past, poor digestion, and weakend immune system worsened by Juvinile Rhuematoid Arthritis and 7 years of steroid use.  With all this in mind, i believe strongly the itchy ear, crusty problem is YEAST INFECTION in the ear (but not for all cases).  What the doctors say concern me not (i have had serveral okay ear checks since the problem began).  Look, your health is in your own hands -  take what the docs say with a grain of salt and backup their talk with your own research - you can be as "smart" as they are and you definately know your body better they do.  i feel for all of you deeply (several times my ears have swollen shut and lymph nodes been blocked up into hard rocks for weeks non stop - i understand:)).  tea tree oil (not staight oil in the ear though dilute first!!!), paud'arco, garlic, olive leaf extract (seagate is a good company), olive oil,  gse, PROBIOTICS, digestive enzymes, wild oregano oil, NO REFINED SUGAR, chlorophyll, and no antibiotics are a start.  however, i understand the bind.  I have 4 young kiddos as well and one is lovingly sqeezing my nanas right now wanting to nurse hence the bad typing & such.  Hope this helps - it has encougaged me to be MOTIVATED, MOTIVATED, MOTIVATED SIR to take charge of my own health.  with empathy, rjana.

I too have itchy moist ears.  I had a really bad Qtip habit that I fear may have caused all of this trouble.  When I used to use Qtips I always had a bit of yellow ear wax on the tip.  After really getting aggressive with Qtips and using them several times a day I believe the Ph in my ears became unbalanced and now I/we may have some type of yeast infection.  For more than a year I have seen no yellow wax.   I'm going to ask for the Derm Otic drops and consider the EPA oils.   I'm just guessing I have all of the levels off in my ears like the last person mentioned.  I have had no real history with ear aches or swimmers ear since childhood.  Even then they were rare.  I think I did this to myself.  
:o(  I use the vinegar drops prescribed by my MD and try to only lightly clean once a day to get the wetness out.  I also have a horrible habit of scratching.  UGH!! how to stop? I have no idea.

I will do a little more research and get back with you if I find anything.  

M
Just checking back to this site again, as nothing I've tried seems to work for more than a short period. I find that I have to have my ears flushed out every few months because the constant scratching and digging just compresses the wax and send it deeper into the ear canal. This of course causes partial blockage and affects the hearing. Once flushed out, my hearing is fine until the cycle repeats. I have an appointment with a ENT mid June. I'm going to ask him about prescribing the dermotic oil that has been mentioned on here (thanks, Gwynhwyfyr), and which seems to be working for some people. I'll report back later.
HI All,  I have been trying for the better part of a week to stop the itching.  First it was hard.  I stopped all swabbing in the AM or otherwise.  I only itched or rubbed from the outside ONLY when neccessary.  I continued to use the vinigar drops the MD gave once a day.  I also began taking 8 billion Acidopholis (2 caps / day) to balance the yeast and good bugs in my system.  I'm guessing this is some sort of Yeast infection.  I used to work with Vet's and when a dog came in with an ear infection that was caused by yeast it had a distinct odor.  This does too.  Not too strong, just there...   I've been reletively itch free for a few days now.  Or maybe I just don't notice it.  I'm hoping that I can get some ear wax to start developing again.  I'm afraid to stick a Q tip in there to check just in case I start the whole thing all over again.  My fear is that I've screwed up my wax development permanently.  My son makes wax by the gallon and my husband suggested we do a wax transplant... ICK sounds gross but if I just had some in there to sooth and protect it might start mine up again.  Anyone condsider that?  Help!

I go to my MD for some other stuff Monday and Im going to ask for the Derm Otic oil.  I'll report on that too later.

M
i can relate to all of you, i have an appointment next week with a dermotoligist because my m.d. has thrown his hands up with this problem. i must say that i laughed so hard at ktbhoys posts, saying your ears are itching and they need their fix, but we must not give into it. my sister has this problem also. we have both tried everything to stop the itching, drainage and pain but nothing seems to help for very long. i'm going to ask about the dermotic oil when i go to the dr. is this an antifungal, a steroid are what? gwenhwyfyr can you give more info on this medication please. thanks to everyone, i though my sister and i were the only itchy scratchy ear sufferers around. remar
the wetness i suffer from is when the weather is cold. The ear gets itchy and when i use a cotton bud it comes out wet but clear. Sometimes. the itch stops when I use anti allergic tabs.Is this a medical condition?
For over a year I've had the same problem. I too drive my husband crazy "Why are you digging in  your ear?"

The outer part of my ear itches, becomes dry and flakes off skin. Sometimes they are red and inflamed. Sometimes I feel the clear fluid as well.

I think I am going to make another appointment with my doctor as well. Previously my doctor gave me a script for a steriod cream. I was not very dedicated at using it. I think I will try that over the next few days and see how it goes.
i have the same problem dude.
I have the same problem.  I started getting ear infections in high school that would swell up the side of my face and make my jaw hurt.  Any type of movement was agony.  My ear canal would swell completely shut.  I never had any itchiness with them and my doctor said it was swimmer's ear and gave my antibiotic drops that got rid of it.  I've continued to get random ear infections for the past 8 years, nothing big.  My last ear infection was about 6 months ago, but this time they were itchy and wet.  I swelled up and got a fever and got put on antibiotics-oral and drops.  It got rid of the swelling, pain, and fever but the itch and wetness/crustiness never went away.  I went to an ENT and audiologist.  It hasn't affected my hearing, audiologist says I have remarkable hearing so thats good.  I was given fluicinolone (sp.) cream and that seems to help temprarily.  He said it could be a skin problem similar to psoriasis.  Its driving my nuts!!  The itching is ridiculous!  Its gross.  I've tried alcohol, lotion, neosporin, blow dryer method and I can't seem to get rid of the itch.  I'm going to have to get my hands on that derm otic oil.  I've only been dealing with this for about 6 months and i'm going crazy, I can't even imagine having this problem as long as the rest of you.  
Hi to all fellow itch ears!  I have been going out of my mind now for about 2 months so I really feel for all of you who have been suffering this problem for years.  I have had a succession of creams, drops and anti biotics over the past few weeks, one lot of anti biotics made me feel sick all the time and although the problem seemed to go away while I was taking the medication, it came back as soon as I stopped.  I have an appointment at my gp on Friday and I am going to ask for DermOtic Oil and give it a try - quite frankly I am at the stage where I will try anything just to get a good nights sleep from this itching/scratching cycle!  Good luck to everyone else.  I will let you know how I get on with the oil.
since I last wrote I have been using the .2% steroid cream my doctor gave me. I'm supposed to use it twice a day, but I usually only remember to do it once. After I get out of the shower, I use a Q tip and put a little just on the outside opening of my ear cannal.

It has helped a lot with the itching and flaking skin, but if I stop using it... I can feel the itching begin.

I'll write if anything changes, otherwise I am going to continue with the .2% hydrocortisone cream.   Please note. Those who want to try the hydrocortisone cream should get a script for the lower .2%.   The stores sell 1% cream, which should not be used on thinner skin- any part of your face & ears.

I don't think I have what some of you are describing, but to the person who said that the ear discharge wa smelly, has anyone checked into whether you may have some type of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. This is a very common outr ear infection in canines but Pseudomonas aeruginosa is everywhere and if you managed to get it into an ear there is no reason not to susect it in people. In canines Cipro was te systemic drug that worked on it a few years ago, but that stuff changes quickly initially gentimiacin worked on it but as I understand it Pseudomonas became resistant to that and then Cipro was used. I don't think you all have this but those with a smelly discharge, or mucus discharge etc may.
Like many of you, I am happy to find this forum.
I am a health care provider and suffer with this issue as well.
I also have Sjogren's Syndrome and wondered if there could be a connection.  Indeed there is.  Sjogren's Syndrome (an autoimmune condition) is unusual but can cause the very symptoms many of us have.  I am relieved to know my situation could have a cause.  Because this is an autoimmune condition, there is no known cure yet but there is something else for people to consider.

G
Wow, it's great to find this.  Mine started 3 years ago with clear fluid running out of my ears and dripping off my chin.  The fluid made my skin itch like crazy, but there was no actual pain (that it, until I itched the inside of my ear so much it started bleeding).  Antibiotics helped for a month or two, but it came back.  

For the past 8 months, the fluid has stayed inside my ear, and there's not as much of it, but the itching is worse!  I'm a Q-tip freak.  My Dr. says there's nothing wrong.  Recently had my ears cleaned out, and a massive chunk of gray/black/white wax came out.  Very nasty.  

Now, the ear is clogged again, but there's no wax.  Sounds like I'm underwater, and when I yawn or move my head quickly, I can hear a fluid inside that starts bubbling.  But when I stick in a Q-tip, it comes out perfectly dry!

I'm really praying I can get this Dermotic oil and that it works.  God, I feel for you who have had this for so many years.
How come all you people described this damn problem so well when the medical info online never seems to describe it the same at all? I too have the dry crusty ears with the clear liquid that seeps out. The cycle of wanting to itch when it becomes dry and crusty and painful, it closes up from the swelling . I have vertigo a few times a year, had  a mastoidectomy about 53 yrs ago as a baby, and tinnitus to, but don`t know if any of this is linked?
Mine did seem to start in my left ( mastoidectomy) ear  many many years ago and I don`t know if I have ` contaminated` my right ear as I get it in both now,
When my ear seeps it is clear and mostly an unpleasant smell to it and seems to sting in my ear.
My doc gave me some steroid cream a few years ago( said it was eczema) but it didn`t get rid of it, just seemed to soothe it. They don`t seem bothered to be honest, I had an ear infection about a month ago in my right ear and I went to a walk in centre as the nurses there seem more interested than my doc does!
Great . Now I know I`m not alone and itchy...lol.
Guys
I have been suffering from this condition for years.Constantly scratching and making my ears bleed and sometimes a colourless fluid would discharge from the resultant scatching
I had been to the doctors on numerous occassions and was told it was because I was'nt drying my ears properly .What a a load of rubbish.I was eventually prescribed FUCIBET cream.
Guess what this cream works.You will have to persevere for about 4 or 5 days but I kid you not my ears are now clear and itch free.
I got a feeling that  it will be an ongoing thing but I have relief at last
Good luck  John
Good news at last! My ears have stopped itching after 5 years of the maddening cycle of itching, scratching, and weeping (weeping in both senses of the word lol). In my last post I mentioned I had a mid-June appointment with an ENT. Well, at first he simply told me I had excessive wax and he cleaned the ears out with his little vacuum pump and told me to come back in two weeks. So I was not feeling too confident that his was going to be any more productive than visiting my own GP.

Anyway I went back in two weeks and told him the itching was as bad as ever. This time he prescribed Ectosone cream. I had mentioned DermOtic oil and he explained that both DermOtic oil and Ectosone cream belong to a category of treatments called cortisteroids, but that he preferred the cream in my case for the following reasons; 1) he has had success with it before, 2) cream adheres to the skin better than oil and you can appy to the second ear without losing any from the first ear as you might with oil, and 3) oil is best for excesively dry ears whereas in my case I had "weeping", or moist ears due to constant rubbing and scratching.  

I had to apply a little cream to each ear twice a day using a Q-tip. I am delighted to report that after 4 days the itching had gone from both ears. Instead of ending the treatments abrubtly I took Gwynhwyfyr"s advice and weaned my ears off the cream by tapering the treatments gradually down to once a day then once every two days. In less than 2 weeks in total I had stopped applying the cream and for the first time in years I had normal dry and non-itchy ears! Incredible, because I thought I was doomed to suffer with this for the rest of my life.

I pray that this experience will give hope, and possibly the same relief to all of you. Incidentally Ectosone is a brand name used here in Canada and might well be called something else where you live. The proper pharmaceutical name is Betamethasone Valerate 0.1%.  Good luck.
Finally some people who understand the torment!  I think my family just thinks I'm crazy and are tired of hearing me complaining about my ears itching, oozing, and clogging - for about 15 years now!!!!  One doctor said it was Q-tipitis and did nothing, the other doctors always remove the wax and that's it...I'm wondering if any of you have a dog - it feels like a chronic allergic reaction - ever since I moved out of the city, and also since I've had a dog --- anyone else with itchy ears have a dog? It's driving me insane - and even when I stopped using q-tips, which was torture, they still itched and oozed....I once got so desperate I stuck a garlic clove in my left ear and left it there!  Maybe because it was cold, I don't know, but it actually seemed to help temporarily!!!  Hey, I was desperate enough to try!!!!
I find it weird that most of us have this problem in our left ear.  Mine started in 2004. I am thinking we have yeast infections, I may try dermotic oil or Fucibet but just wondering has anyone tried the over the counter creams for a female yeast infections?  Also for you ladies do you find that you have a consistant but managable itch that becomes inflammed and swollen right at the time of your menstration?
I just checked on the web and found that Ectosone (which cured my itching ears) and Fubicet, (which worked for 27kelle) are one and the same thing, namely Betamethasone Valerate. They are just different brand names.
I had recurrent ear infections like a 3-year-old. My doctors kept prescribing antibiotic drops, and the infection would go away--but the itching NEVER DID. After scratching and scratching, the infection would come back and the doctor would prescribe more ear drops and tell me to stop scratching (yeah--right--easier said than done). Finally, I asked my witchdoctor (my sister who knows a lot about natural medicine) and she told me that it sounded like the antibiotics were messing with the good flora in my ears--perhaps causing a recurrent fungus to make my ears itch. She prescribed taking acidophilus every day to restore the good flora in my system, and swabbing my ears after I showered with a tincture of tea tree oil, an anti-fungal. I have not had one ear infection since--but my ears are still a LITTLE itchy....
WOW! Thanks so much fellow ear sufferers!!! Mine too, have a cycle of itching, fluid draining, w/ crusty residue in the morning. I personally hate the noise that comes from the fluid suction when I sleep on the clogged ear. The "smaking-pop" is so loud, it wakes me up. UGH!
I promise I will update 'yall with the results after using the DermOtic.
    At this time I'm suffering from a secondary infection because of my ear scratching. (I "ring" my ears by pressing my palm over the whole ear an press and giggle hard!) It feels great for a scond or two and then aches after that. (sigh)
   I have hope for the fisrt time after reading these posts!!
Again, thanks everyone for taking the time to write.
I'll report back later. My apt. w/ the ENT is in 2 weeks.
Blessings to you all.
I haven't read the entire thread, but I've had this same problem for about four years now... it's not completely gone, but I after the doctor gave me antibiotic drops my condition got worse.  Upon closer inspection, it turned out that I had a fungal infection!  If anti dandruff shampoo gave you some relief, that might be the issue you're having...
I have been suffering with this very same problem for over 3 years.  Saw my MD, referred me to an ENT. I was also experiencing Vertigo.  Of course more money is to be made on testing for Vertigo, after the complete round of testing, I didn't know any more then when we started.  Still had itchey ears and vertigo.  I wanted to verify with the ENT that is was OK to put hydrocortisone cream inside my ears, he told me to be careful, it could cause me to gain weight!?!?!  OK, at that point I knew I was on my own.   I have tried almost all the remedies described here with only temporary relief.  Today I called my dr. and have asked for Dermotic Oil to try.  I do want to mention.  I have 2 dogs, one which is being treated for a yeast infection in her ears. She digs and groans at her ears.  They actually smell the same as mine at times, I did try Monistat.  Again, only temporary relief.  Not sure if it was a good idea, but as most of you know, when your desperate, you'll try anything to relieve the itch.  Another thought, it's creepy, but I read it somewhere....   escpecially at night, which sounds like when most of us experience the worst itch,  dust mites are likely to eat away at the dry crusty discharge/skin.  UGH!  The thought is horrible and creepy, but.... doesn't it make sense?  Anyway, I hope the Dermotic oil works, I'm exhausted from these itchey ears!  
I have had itchy, flaking, draining ears ever since swimming in a pool down at DisneyLand 25 years ago.  I would use the prescription antibiotics drops, which would relieve the problem for a little while, but then the whole thing would start over again.  Recently I have used two new product that seem to be the answer.  Don't laugh but there is a non-prescription otic solution used on dogs with the same types of symptons called ZYMOX with hydrocortisone (Amazon.com). The hydrocortisone relieves the itching and other ingredients (including enzymes) help to kill the bacteria and yeast infections.  The other thing I use in combination is Eucerin AQUAPHOR Healing Ointment (Walmart).  This is a petrolatum skin protectant which helps with the flaking and heals the skin.  I have been using both for the past month and everything has cleared up!!!   Yeah....   Both items together cost about $20.  It's the best $$ I've ever spent.......
ive been lurking on this site for a few months now.  ive had a pretty serious ear infection for over a year now.  i had the never ending itchy cycle.. infection, itch, scratch, reinfect etc etc.  i would have so much fluid in my ear that id go deaf for days at a time.  i tried anti-biotics but it didnt work.  i tried vinegar.. didnt work, rubbing alcohal.. didnt work, hydrogen peroxide.. didnt work, neosporin.. didint work, i even used tough actin tinactin.. didnt work.  needless to say i was so desperate i pretty much tried everything possible.  finally after i read the last post on this thread i realized that my gfs dog had an ear infection a few weeks ago and there was still some medicine left over.  i asked her for the remaining medicine and i applied it to my ear and after 2 days of treatment my ears are feeling better than they have in over a year.  the itching is gone and the pain is gone.. the flaking is gone.. i can hear again!

the medicine is called tri-otic.  i also ordered zymox from amazon just incase.  its amazing.. after a year of trying everything known to man.. even going to the doctor.. antibiotics etc etc... the thing that cured my ears was a ear infection medicine for my girlfriends 7 yr old chihuahua.  im not sure what the side effects may be but at this point i really dont care... i can sleep at night without waking up in the middle of the night with my finger down my ear scratching like theres no tomorrow.

if u guys become as desperate as i was, i think you should try tri-otic or zymox.  seems like what human doctors couldnt fix the vets had the answer for. who wouldve thought eh?

anyways.. the last year has been a nightmare cuz of my ears... im so happy now to have found a cure i really wanted to share it with everyone.  also i want to thank the poster above or else i wouldve never thought to have tried dog medicine for my ear.

goodluck everyone!
I too have suffered from itching ears and am a q-tip junkie!
Some of the things that have helped me are drinking "Activia" (from the grocery store by the yogurt)  Swabbing with "Listerine"  (careful it burns)
Using "tea tree oil"  (Melaluca)  Cutting back on sugar also helps.
As for dust mites... throw the old pillow away!  Get a new one and once a week throw it in the dryer for about 45 minutes!  Replace it every so often! I also have tried "ear candling".  This really helped the longest legnth of time.   Thanks everybody for sharing!!!  
I have never had an ear infection or itchy ears before a couple of weeks ago.  Never knew anything could be so painful.  Itchy ears apparently followed ear infection.  Was on antibiotics, which cleared infection, but itching started sometime during.  I wanted to stick a pencil in there most of the time.  Went to a Dr. was intially told nothing was wrong, then told a few minutes later, after explaining my desire to yank the ear off that I had eczema and a possible fungal infection.  Was given some cream which did not work.  Decided to take matters into my own hands.  Cleaned ear with hydrogen peroxide (couple of drops) to get rid of the steriod cream.  Then used oregano oil (4 to 6 drops mixed in 2 tablespoons of coconut oil).  Used q-tip to gently work into the area.  It has been 4 days since I started and the itching is almost gone.  Spent the day out yesterday (hot spring - lots of water in ear) and forgot to take the oil with me and did not have any desire to scratch.  No problems from water in ear either.
I thought i was the only person suffering with this problem.

I've tried many many formulas, been to the doctor, washed them, dried them, picked them, scratched them, fingered them, rubbed them etc etc the only thing left would be to cut them off.

Symptoms are: invisible rash, sharp flakes, sticky clear glue gunk, a thin layer of crust, a rased small smooth blister (picking at it sends a shockwave sensation down my jaw into my neck, if i pick it just right i get like a web like tingly feeling around my lips). Crazy i know.

If itched enough you get a scale effect down th ear canal.

Under the blister is a nodule (the size of a small grain of rice) When touched a dizzyness accures

This complaint is growing rapidly, but no explanation.

Is it a implant?  Mind Control?

Is it a new life form living in my ear?

Does it get turned on by suger? Related to diabetes?

No evidence to suggest loss of hearing?

Why is it connected to the fine nervous system of the face, jaw and neck.

Tend to find it in the Right ear, but can occur in both.

Vibrates under high frequencys.

Can bleed, but not for long.

Causes maybe ?????

Junk (fodder) Food
Genetically modified foods
Chem trails
Water supply
Flouride
Vaccinations
Radiation
Mind control Implant
Fungus
New Pandemic

Who knows?

It's called MORGELLONS DESEASE
Thank to the person who started this post and for all who contributed.  Both my Dr and Naturopath say that my ears look completely normal and healthy, but this has been gong on for over a year and It's maddening.  In desperation last night, I decided to consult the web.  I'm so glad to have found this post because I actually started to question whether or not this was all psychosomatic (as my dr has insisted) or if i was going a little nuts.  Now i know there are other people out there!  I am going to try one of the anti-fungal remedies listed here.  

if this is a yeast infection, then it makes sense that dandruff shampoo, vinegar and garlic provide some relief as they are anti-fungals (but perhaps not strong enough to cure).  I will try the fubicet or the oil drops.  Texasgwirl, maybe the vaginal creams might work (don't take my word on this).  I remember as a teen, my aunt, who was an ENT, was at our house and she saw my father's athlete's foot cream (some are the same family o anti-fungals as used in yeast infection creams) - she looked at the ingredients and said that this was exactly what she used to cure some of her patient's ear infection (I was a teen and not paying much attention to what kind of infection she was talking about). Please use caution and don't use random creams but find out which ones are actually in the same family first - and treat thoroughly the first time round. B/C you don't want to self- medicate and then create resistant strains of fungas/yeast.

Anyone who experiences slight jaw stiffness/ache from this?  A recent symptom for me and I wonder if the two are connected.

I am going to ask my GP for some oil or cream - I don't care- just please make this stop...
Thank you everyone for your post and good luck!

yea ive tried the antifungals for my ear and it didnt work.  yea i do think the jaw stiffness and ache is from the ear infection.  while my ears were infected i got jaw aches, jaw popping/clicking and a few times jaw locking.

my completely cured now thanks to tri-otic
Hi Jdub34,
Thank you for your reply.
Okay so tri-otic it is - whatever will work.
Me too: recently jaw ache, clicking and locking - so strange.

Man, I hope this remedy works for me! Oddly, I also think this is the same type of infection my dog had - the weeping and crazy itchy ears with dark earwax - it smells the same as his did.    
Unlike many of the sufferers I have read about in this thread, I have only suffered for months with this condition.  The itching started within a day after staying in a motel on a business trip in March 2008.  I was splitting the cost of a room with a friend who snored.  The bedding had a faint smell of body odor and one of the pillows reeked with a strong repulsive body smell so I threw it on the floor.  I used some foam type earplugs and one came out sometime after I fell asleep.  Sleepy me searched around and found the earplug in the bedding and re-inserted it in my left ear.  The next day at the meeting, my left ear started itching and it began to ache painfully later in the evening.  I suffered with the ear ache and it started to weep clear, sticky, foul smelling fluid within a few days.  I went to see my GP who told me it was just swimmers ear, prescribed some Betamethasone Valerate 0.1% cream and told me to swab my ear canal with it twice a day.  I had some relief but it would recur within a few days after stopping the treatment and I lived with that for two months.  The pain had gotten so terrible and I was no longer able to get a Qtip swab in both my infected ears.  I searched the web for an answer and found another suffer who described my condition exactly:

"Both ears present with itch inside and outside. Ear canal fills with fluid (leaves smelly discharge on pillows each night). The fluid is light yellow and sticky to touch,leaving a solid film on fingers afterwards. Forced to wipe fluid away from ears with tissue and have begun to wash them regularly. This dries the fluid, but where the fluid has been, crusty scab formations appear all over the ear and surrouding area. These crusts then itch. If removed, they produce fluid. Ears literally drip with fluid. It is painful on contact to air and very very ugly to look at.

Crusts and scabs are all over ear lobe and around ear lobe, all over middle and lower inner cavities of outer ears and fluid seems to come from the main channel.

This has been getting progressivley worse for the last five years. Doctors have treated it with oral steroids. It removes the problem but immediatly recurrs after a week or so. Topical cream and drops also help, but again, must be applied daily or it recurs.

Sleep well, but wake up with running ears. - Staining on pillows every night."

I went back to my GP and asked him to take a swab culture of my ear and two days later it came back positive for Staphylococcus Aureus.  The lab also reported that it was resistant to several antibiotics so the GP gave me a stat prescription for Ciprofloxacin .03% and dexamethasone .01% combined in an ear drop solution.  He had me place the drops in my ears twice a day for 10 days.  It is now 12 days after completing the treatment and my ears are cleared up.  No more weeping clear sticky liquid, crusty ears in the morning or inflamed ear canals with chronic ear aches.  I still feel a very slight itch but it could be that I am remembering how terrible it felt.  I would encourage ALL of you to go see either your GP or an ENT to have your ears swabbed and a culture taken to be certain you don't have an infectious bacteria growing in there.  If it helps at all, print this out and hand it to them.  My GP was absolutely certain all I had was water in my ears from showering (8 hours after showering) until he got the lab results back from the ear swab.  I sincerely hope this helps everyone.  I share your pain and know how frustrating this condition is.  I will post again if my symptoms recur.
I am a teenager and going to school is so embarising because i am always worring about people seeing my ear ( OMG my ear is itching so bad now AHHHHHHH) but my mom has just noticed me constantly itching my ear, i will itch so much that ***** fluid forms then dries into a crust, i will try to peel it of but in return comes more puss and blood i try to dry up thefluide with a tissue but it does not work and i am so embarassed and aggrivated and i will try to stop itching but it feels so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am confussed with this site and i cant see if there is a "cure" or way to stop the embarassment

PLEASE HELP ME
I use Tea Tree oil externally on my ears which helps their severe itching. The other thing that helps externally and I also use internally is Hydrogen Peroxide.

I would recommend wearing ear plugs in the shower and when swimming.

Also the Mineral oil is a great idea along with swimmers ear remedies.
I suffered with this for over 10 years. Doctors would tell me it was just me digging in my ears with q-tips.
I bought some of the zymox, I put it in with a q-tip, to worried to drip it directly into my ears.
And now, itch is gone, ears are dry, Who knew..dog medecine!
After years of getting expensive prescriptions for drops and creams, a bottle of dog med. at 10.00 fixed the problem.
Thank you for posting your comment.   I printed it out and I'm bringing it to my GP today!
I can't believe so many people have this problem but most of the doctors don't know what to do about it.  I have had the problem for over 5 years.   I believe mine started when I accidently used someone elses earphones on an airplane.  I have been to MANY doctors and after creams, eardrops, steroids.....that caused a really gross black and grey hairy looking clot thing that sounded like it was ripping out tiny hairs in my ear when removed, ( I was sooooo embarassed and I just wanted to die because that just could NOT have come out of MY ear!)    that I'm glad you have another solution to try.     He said it was from the medicine (steroids) I was putting in my ears.  Catch 22.  I'll post again to let people know how it is working.     Thank You again EMT3.
Everyone,
Ok, so, it's probably fungus/yeast/Candida in most cases.  The reason why no one is having any luck with Doctors is that the mainstream medical community does not recognise yeast as being a problem.  It is in fact a huge harm to the immune system and its overgrowth manifests in many ways (gas, itchy skin, ears, allergies, congestion, etc.).  There are tons of websites on yeast that you can read more about it and what to do about it.  The reason I know about it is that I went to a naturalpathic doctor and I got tested and I have a yeast overgrowth.  Itchy ears is one of my symptoms, but the least serious.  Anyways, I'm on a Candida diet (in a nutshell, no sugar, low carb) and taking tons of supplements and natural anti-fungals (oil of oregano, garlic, coconut oil).  It is working, but it's a slow process.  Anyways, I urge everyone on here to read more about Candida and what to do about it and/or go to an alternative doctor.  also, notice if your ears itch more when you eat sugar or high-carb foods.  That could be because that stuff is feeding the yeast.
I have a question though.  My ears itch slightly every time I take a first bite or two of food.  Does that happen to anyone else?
I have discovered (after a ton of research) a home solution for my itchy ears which is astounding me. It has now been a couple of weeks since I started this and I seem to be on the road to relief.  If this helps even just one person here that is suffering like I was then I am glad to have helped.  
Get a small dispenser bottle that has a wide mouth, with a lid, and with which you will be able to dip a q-tip into.  Mix the following: 2 tablespoons of white vinegar, 2 tablespoons of Isopropyl alcohol or Rubbing Alcohol and a 1/4 tsp of Xylitol. You can get this at a Health Food store.  "Google" it....
Xylitol has been used for years in toothpaste for it's bacteria fighting properties and can be used as a saline cleanse to reduce bacteria..(see Xylitol on Wikipedia)
Shake this solution up and dip your q-tip into it and swap the inside of the infected ear...sorry, it will be cold!.. if the ear is too sensitive or in pain use a small dropper and place a few drops down the canal.  Let it sit for a minute or two and then tilt the head back over to drain.  I had to do this in both ears, as they were both having the same problem.  I did this in the am and pm, but after about 2 days I found I only had to do it at bedtime.  I suffered for 15 years and tried everything.  When I find the solution to my tinnitus I will post again.  Regards to you all.  
I ordered ZYMOX with hydrocortisone on Amazon, as I am again in a bout of endlessly itchy ears, per a prior poster's suggestion.

I must say that immediately after putting the drops in my ear I had an unexplained urge to have my ears and bellly rubbed.  I slept well but in the morning my husband said I whimpered all night like a dog dreaming.  Today at work, without even thinking about it, I sat on the floor and began scratching my head with my foot. (My husband is going to love this new found flexibility). My ears feel great though, and as far as I am concerned, I'll take these side effects any day over crusty itchy runny ears.

Seriously, so far so good with this otc dog ear medicine. It is extremely soothing and my ears are clearing up nicely.  The morning crust is all but gone in comparison to what it has been and this is my fourth day of using the drops, 1x per day, at bedtime.

This may sound extreme, but I am so tired of Dr's just tossing a bottle of $50 ear medicine at me and saying it will go away.  
I have always used peroxide on a q-tip, gently dab in ear, burns and bubbles for awhile, when the fizzing in the ears stop,  I take a clean q-tip and dry my ear, 2x's the first day and the symptoms are usually gone.  I think this is like eczema or something like that. It could also be the sinuses draining into the eustacian tubes of the ears, causing infections.  Hope this helps.
i can't believe this.....i was sure i was the only one. i've been puttin up with this for 25 yrs. one dr. told me nothing wrong, take some antihistamine....while this was effective, as soon as i stopped the itch came rite back. i don't feel like living on benedryl.  another dr. told me it was from smoking (i knew rite away she was blowing me off), but i did stop smoking, and guess what....no better. i am about to resaearch the zymox, dermotic and tri-otic. thaks for the info everyione
Does anyone know if baby oil will work like Dermoctic oil?

Also I was wondering if this type of problem could be caused by medications, I take blood pressure pills and now I have the wet/itch ear thing.
I too have suffered with this problem for years.  I got no help from doctors, I don't know why they don't seem to have a handle on what causes this.  Like many of you I always suspected it was some kind of yeast or fungal infection.  I was reading about the ingredients in Listerine - thymol, eucalyptol, methyl salicylate and menthol in an alcohol base may have antifungal activity.  Figured what the heck.  I dipped a q tip into some and applied it in my ear canals.  It burned a little but nothing bad.  In an hour or so my ears weredry and no longer itching.  This effect lasted a few days and then  the itching restarted.  I tried it again and the itch/wet is gone.  I'm going to use it a few days in a row to see if maybe it needs that to keep the itch/wet away.

Just wanted to share and help out fellow sufferers.
Wow - I think I came across this thread back in March of 2008 when I was attempting to overcome this very same issue.

Same as described here, and more. I have had this problem for about 8 years now. I believe it began when I was pregnant with my first son. He's now 7.

For years I have been working on the PC at night, and having the most awful itching, flaking, scabbing - I actually have scars in my ears where small portions of skin have simply been scratched off!

I have been to ENT, GP, Holistic DR. and yep - even to the emergency room. I've tried different (painful) drops, creams, hydrocortisone, hydrogen peroxide (I couldn't take that, it not only hurts, it just made my ears worse, especially on the inside of the ear canal) q-tips, mineral oil, garlic mullien drops, even oven baked ONION compresses, been there done it all.

I NOT tried a couple things mentioned here, like the doggy drops, or the other oil, but all of that has some nasty chemicals in it if you want to get right down to it. The last cream I got from the ENT specialist (after a trip to the emergency room) is called:
Nystatin-Triamcinolone ointment which I got on 4/10/2008.

Now that was the closest I have come to getting rid of the itch for a while, but it comes back - and the flaky, scabby stuff, weepy, skin crawling ITCH comes back too. Apparently I can not continually use this stuff due to the chemicals in it - but I probably would have been happy to stay on that for the rest of my life. Can't do that, so now...

How about looking for the INTERNAL CAUSE of this (like others have mentioned) instead of just treating the itchy ear symptoms. There is a reason our ears itch like they do, and it's not because of "swimmers ear" - I've been diagnosed with that at least three times.

One GP said he thought I could have "skin lupus" and I could "get a good discount" if I went to go get tested for it that same day. NOT! I didn't believe that for a minute. (Well, ok maybe I did, because I did look into in on the internet, then my brain went "you do NOT have SKIN LUPUS"). I trust doctors about as much as I trust politician's and let me tell you, that ain't much.

The ENT says I have eczema in my ears. ONLY in my EARS? I find that one hard to swallow too, because why wouldn't I have any other issues anywhere OTHER than my ears if I had eczema. Doesn't make sense.

I have also looked into yeast, and candida, because my lifestyle, food preferences, etc - pointed in that direction. I love beer, use too much sugar, carbs, wheat breads, yadda, so I tried to cleanse myself of yeast when I probably should have NOT done it at that time. My body went into a total healing crisis, which ended up - uhg... I'll just have to build a blog and show the pics, and explain the whole thing that way. BOTH ears were totally swelled shut, and I had a lot of other problems at the time. Trying to get rid of yeast was probably the stupidest move, because it was the WRONG time.

I was already infected when I tried to detox yeast, so my body could NOT keep up with dispelling the toxins, and I had to go to emergency, not only for the pain, but it took 2 rounds of antibiotics to get back to some semblance of normalcy.

Did the itchy ears go away? Nope - only with that cream that I'm not really able to take for longer than a certain amount of time because of the chemicals apparently.

So. It's been about 9 months since my last very serious flare-up, and I have found something else to try. This is treating from the inside out, not just treating the symptoms. I saw another person here mention that they take hydrogen peroxide internally, (food grade - diluted I'm assuming) because I did look into that. It's a good deal of chemistry and reading, but I purchased an ebook for 40 bucks that talked about this method of cleaning your body of toxins.

I asked for my 40 bucks back, because there was no real "proof" in this book that hydrogen peroxide did all they claimed it did. No names of people, no paperwork, no nothing to check up on. I didn't care for that, so I scratched that idea.

THEN, I found something else that interested me a LOT more, had the proof, had the documentation, had people's names and the info can be checked.

The product I'm trying now, is called Miracle Mineral Supplement, created by Jim V. Humble. Google the names, or go to youtube for some interesting videos. Better yet, here's a link to the first part of the ebook, which is free.
http://www.miraclemineral.org/part1.php
Read into it, it's very good.

Anyhow, I'm on let's see - moving into my fourth day on MMS (Miracle Mineral Supplement). I started with 1 drop - mixed the way it is explained in part TWO of the ebook on Thursday night. Friday (yesterday) I took 2 drops in the morning, and 2 drops at night. Today (Saturday) I took 3 drops this morning, and 3 tonight.

Throughout all of this, I have been typing my experience into a small notepad document on my desktop. I wanted to record what happens as I take this stuff, to see if it DOES in fact work, see how I'm feeling each day, and to have a record of what happened when I started taking MMS.

I STARTED taking MMS - simply to see if it could get rid of all the heavy metals, pathogens, viruses, and bacteria in my body. I'm pretty sure that I probably have some parasites in my system too, due to being an animal lover all my life, being around way too many animals (dogs, cats, horses, birds) and ALSO because I'm very fond of walking barefoot. You wouldn't believe what you can pick up through your feet, and from animals.

Not to mention what another poster here said:
Junk (fodder) Food
Genetically modified foods
Chem trails
Water supply
Flouride
Vaccinations
Radiation
Pulmonary aspergilloma (mycetoma)

Don't think it "ain't happenin' here" because it IS. It's no wonder society as a whole in the US are the most overweight in the world. It's designed that way. Let the good people of Africa deal with starvation, Aids, Malaria and kill the poorer fools in the US with all the genetically modified crops, etc. Ever hear of "population control"?

Does it make any sense that we have like NO nutritional value in our foods over here, even down to genetically modified SEEDS, so that even what you grow is tampered with - yet we are an overweight country? Think about it. Starvation of NUTRIENTS. Overdoses of TOXINS.

And we wonder why our ears itch? Maybe because the immune system is so taxed, that nothing you can do on treating the symptoms is ever going to work for the rest of your life. I don't think it's one of those things where ANY kind of cream that stops the itch for at least a few weeks, will really work. Because the INSIDE of the body is not being treated, only the symptoms on the OUTSIDE.

So, with all that said :::rant over::: this is a maddening problem that I'm out to get rid of in a massive way. I'm sick of the ****. Plain and simple.

I'm going into day 4 now, and by reading back everything in my notepad doc that is way too long to post here - I believe it's doing SOMETHING right now. And I THINK, it just may work.

Hey, if it cures my dang itchy ears, and gets rid of a few other issues - that's good enough for me. Can it cure Malaria? Seems so. Can it cure Cancer and other diseases? Not sure, because as far as I know, I don't have that problem. Thank God for that.

As soon as I get a blog up, I'll give you the link here to see what happens in the coming months, complete with pictures of the worst itchy ears you've probably ever seen in your LIFE!
Thanks to roxjoycas, I tried Zymox from Amazon, and it worked within a week.

Can't thank her enough for bringing this OTC cure to the forum, and ending my months of misery.
That zymox is amazing. I have been able to control my barking and as an added bonus, the drops block out the noise of my hubby snoring.  :O)
I'm soooooooo glad that I'm not the only one with the itchy, crusty, wet and, when I lie on  one side, complete cloggage (is cloggage a word?).  I'd literally have to pull at my lower earlobe to unclog my ear, even if only for a moment (until the next time I'd lie on that side or even tilt my head to that side).  It has only affected my left ear thus far.  But I have another symptom.  At times, my wife says my ear canal is completely closed!

As a child, I had numerous ear infections, but none in the last 30 years or so.  And I haven't been swimming for 3 years.

Anyway, now that the ear problem seems to have settled down a bit, I've developed other "problems."  I've had 2 styes in my right eye, boils (zits) behind my ear (the same ear that was bothering me), and sore, scaly bumps on my head that cause excruciating pain when touched, or when the water from the shower hits them (I've had to start using a cup to wash and rinse my hair, the water from the showerhead just hurts too much).

The styes have almost healed, the boils have all but disappeared but the bumps on my head still exist.  And (knock on wood), my crusty, wet, itchy, clogged ear seems to be better (although it still itches at times).  
OMG, I've had this problem forever!  My mom has it too, and she told me to just put cortisone cream in my ears.  Unfortunately, it doesn't last long and they just start itching again within a few hours.

My ears itch so bad that sometimes I will wake up from my sleep.  They are usually wet inside and every morning I have to "clean" and scratch them with a q-tip to calm them.  They always have a bit of clear fluid in them too.  

My doctor just says "they look a little dry."  Well, I just ordered some Zymox, and I'm praying that it will work because it seems that they have gotten worse over the past year or so.  They drive me nuts, especially when I am at work.  I'm a nurse, so it looks really tacky if I'm constantly digging in my ears to relieve this!  I looked at the active ingredients in Zymox, and they all sound safe (not to mention the main ingredient is 1% hydrocortisione!)
People do not realize how intense this itch is. It truly is enough to literally drive you crazy.  The zymox does really soothe my issue.  I will admit that my favorite thing to do when no one was looking was dig at my ear with the round end of a bobby pin. It is almost like a "dog rake" that you thin dog hair with. (Just a tiny version) that really can get out loads of crud

BillyG, funny that you mention the scabs on your head. i have them too. They can drive me nuts also. I am trying very hard to not dig at my head too.   Sometimes I just wonder if this is all some type of psychological response to an emotional thing.

Excuse me now, I feel the need to go outside and howl at the moon (damn that Zymox) :O)
I too have itchy, flaking ears. I have asked my Dr. several times about it and he just says nothing seems to be wrong. He suggested hydocotizone cream, which does not help for long.
I am so aggravated with the flaking, its like dandriff ears, it's gross.
So, I will try some of these suggested 'cures'. I do have a small patch of ezema on my eyelid that flares up from time to time. I also have a small patch on my scalp that itches and flakes as well. I have a history of allergies to a lot of things and I know I am sensitive to a lot of things. I have also suspected a fungus or something like that as well.

I have a big dog who constantly shakes his head...funny, maybe we have the same thing. I have taken him to the vet and they say he does not have an ear infection but something is obviously bothering him as well.
Why do these Dr.s make us feel like we are crazy!

Thanks everyone!
I spent the past 17 years with constant itching. I went swimming in the ocean and got a double ear infection when i was 16 years old. I am 38 and have spent 17 years with wet, moldy, crusty, itchy ears.  It would often alternate between ears or both at one time.  I went to doctors only when they would become infected and of course they would say..."Don't use cotton swabs or anything bigger than your elbow in your ear."  I think it is how they said it that would tick me off..like i would intentionally inflict myself with this ****.  I would say..."If you would make them stop itching, then I would stop using a cotton swab".  
I know.  I have been there.   how could my ears be "too dry" when they are wet and smell like mold or yeast...i had a persistent case of swimmers ear, off and on, whenever my ears would become wet inside...the bacteria that cause it are just waiting for it to become wet and then they attack.
I went last week to an new ENT and he gave me ciprodex ear drops to kill the infection and then he gave me Dermotic oil...all I can say is THANK YOU.   I did not have enough ear wax and at first it seemed like all the other things i had tried. It still itched and i still scratched.  but instead of scratching or itching it all the time i would use the Dermotic oil and it would be better.  I have not used a cotton swab on my ears in about 7 days.  that is a record, considering i would have them positions throughout the house, just in case i needed to itch my ears.  I had them at work, in the car, upstairs, downstairs..everywhere.  now i don't need them.  it is so wonderful.  Please don't give up hope...there is relief.  
I only developed this problem a month ago.  It is very annoying.  I have tried Cortisone cream which hurt since I have cracked skin and it tends to dry the skin out.
I wash my hair every day so I carefully clean my ear to remove the crusted liquid.  To avoid infection of the cracked skin I use Hydrogen Peroxide (on a cue tip to clean the outer ear and the ear canal, being careful not to put the cue tip in too far, of course). This dries the ear.  Then I use generic Triple Antibiotic Plus ointment - the plus is a pain reliever.  This heals the cracked skin and acts as a moisturizer.  I apply this VERY thinly, just to lubricate the skin, and this does a great job!!!
The trick is to keep the area lubricated yet dry from the oozing.  I keep my fingers away from the ear and use tissue which absorbs the liquid.  Scratching with the fingers tends to spread problem.  You see, only my left ear is affected, nothing else.  My right ear is fine.  So, I have this problem but so far it is under control.
I commiserate with all of you. After 12 years dealing with the itch a EMT gave me Mometasone Furoate Ointment. A little in each ear once or twice a month works. No more itch,flakes,irritation,burning,draining or swearing. At one time I was putting anything in my ears that would fit to get relief. When someone suggested hanging rabbit feet on each ear I went back to the ENT and finally got relief,Praise God!            Paul
Wow,

I wish I would have found this site earlier. I have suffered with the same thing for almost two years. Maybe we can send out this link to our doctor's to get updated on the issues and sucess stories listed.

Anyway, I cut and pasted all the suggested solutions and will get back to you on my Success Story!!!!

Pray something works...
After reading these entries I tried Eucerin Aquaphor Healing Ointment WORKS!!!  I bought it a local Walgreens and thinly applied to my ear after washing it thoroughly.  After applying it, the itching subsided and after 3 or 4 days my ear looked normal for the first time in a month!  
I have waiting for the delivery of my Zymox.  As long as I sparsely apply the Eucerin, my ear stays normal.  There is only very slight itching.  I am betting for the Zymox to take care of that.  
What a relief!  No leaking ears, no more itching, no more madness!  Thank you who submitted the cure for me!  I love this!  And only for $5.99 (Eucerin) and $9.95 (Zymox)!
I thought I was the only one - also went to Dr. and told me I had ear infection - the drops actually made it worse.

I have always made an overabundance of wax...like SimplyMe 2007 - I used a the end of bobby pin to get the crud out...Still make lots of wax, and I keep my ears very clean.  However, when they get crusty, bloody (from scratching), and gross, nothing seems to help.

You all have given me some stuff to try.  I will report back what I find.  I will try to go to the Dr. and get a culture, and see what happens.  Thanks for all of your ideas!!  
Allergies or a cold will cause drainage and put pressure on the eardrum. When pressure builds behind the eardrum it can cause that insane itch in your ear and sometimes throat.

Cleaning out your sinuses every day with saline WILL help. Also, some other ways to itch the itch without sticking anything in your ear...try sticking a clean finger in the other part of your ear and "wiggling" your ear up and down quickly. (Like shaking your finger up and down.)  And try holding your breath and forcing your ears to "pop". This helps keep fluid from building up behind the eardrum.

Use all three of these and you'll find the instant relief you crave!
Now it has been weeks since I started to heal my scaley, itchy, runny ears.  I finally got my Zymox.  While waiting for the Zymox I had been applying VERY thinly the Eucerin Aquaphor healing ointment, rubbing it into my ear.  First twice per day then only once per day.  The scaling healed.  No more itching.  After a couple weeks I am back to normal.  $5.99 was all it took...me.  What a complete relief.  
The Zymox, after I read the instructions - I decided to set it aside since the Eucerin did the trick!
My cure: 1) Keep the ear (s) very clean. 2) Apply Eucerin to affected ear area VERY THINLY! for two weeks. 3) No more need to scratch ears now.  4) Enjoy your newfound relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Good luck guys.  What a relief...
wow, I finally found a site that deals with the same problem I have dealt with for the past 15 years. Has anyone ever have it spread to other parts of the body?
I can't believe all those people suffer from this tooo!.... I suffered with this for years as my mother, her 3 brother and one sister,  my brother, and my sister suffer also..... I went to many many ENT's to tell me... swimmers ear..... Bull hockey!......it turned out to be escema of the ear canals.......I use some meds...... nuttin helped........ I moved to a diff region of the world and suffered more!!!......I took some allegra for awhile here and found a doc here to told me   use a solution of 1/4 alcohol, 1/4 peroxide and rest of sterile water after showering leave the q-tips OUT of your head and I swear...... 3 weeks after I stopped putting those q-tips in my ears.and using the solution he had suggested...... all that crusty weepy smelly stuff went away.... I have not suffered with this now for I know over 4 years and I had suffered with this for years...... what a relief it is...............best wishes to all those who suffer from this.......... K.
I suffer from exactly the same thing. A flaky spot on the opening of my ear. If I scratch it, it flakes off, and stings a bit. Then the sticky liquid weeps from the spot forming over time a crust when it dries. Then the maddening itchyness, then the inevitable scratch and the cycle continues.
For years and years I have suffered so much from this oddball problem!!
I'm going to try this DermOtic oil stuff. Oh man, I wish I had some right now. Google to the rescue!
Yay!

I have started to suffer all of these symptoms as well. I noticed in the monring the clear liquid from my ears smelled (just as your ears smell if you have them pierced) I've been to severl ent doctors and they all said I was fine...finally one of them told me it could be allergies and just use a nose spray. I've never suffered from allergies before but I was willing to try anything! He prescribed a nose spray and told me to use an over the counter spray (just or 3 days). I have now ran out of the prescription nose spray but use over the counter nose spray before I go to bed, make sure you look down and tilt the tip of the bottle to the right or left (depending which ear) It sounds crazy but it works! I'ts not %100 effective and you have to do it every night---keeping in mind you cannot use nose spray everyday because it's addictive to some people. I do it on and off for a couple days and it definitley helps. I recommend trying that if you cannot get anything else to work, I currently use Afrin. Give it a whirl!
Thank you so much. I was beginning to think I was going crazy. I have had the same issue with my ears ( severe itching, clear fluid, wet pools deep inside, crusty stuff that smells bad, swelling shut, feeling like your in a tunnel or on a plane) but I also have with this chronic drainage in my throat which causes me to cough phelgm constanly. This has been going on for 2 and a half years now. I have seen 2 regular doctors, and ENT, a Ear surgeon, been in the ER 4 times, was admitted to the hospital for 5 days. They even called in infectious disease doctors and still couldn't figure out what was causing this. I have been to a rheumatologist, endocrinologist and back to my regular doctor. They put me on tons of different medications and ear drops, nothing gets rid of this. It is maddening. I scratch until my ears bleed(not advising this) and I too use tools to get rid of the itch--qtips, bobby pins, fingernails(fake ones). I have used alcohol, vinegar, lavendar oil, aloe, pink salve, cortisone creame, witch hazel, prescribtion strength cortisone, skin-so-soft, baby oil, glycerin lotion. I'm going to try vit E and vaseline. If it had not been for this blog I would never have heard about DermOctic Oil. I am headed to the doc again tommorrow so I will ask for it. Again thanks for letting me know that I am not the only person out there with this. Doctors have a way of making you feel like you are making it up, make it put to be worse than it really is or are just insane. It's nice to know that I'm not.

Hear today, gone tommorrow!(cross your fingers, haha)
charper
Just wondering how everyone is doing.  I am now having extremely itchy scalp with dry ear skin. I can hear now but ..........oh well
spray some store peroxide in your ears. will open them up and clean any infections or obstructions. been using it for years to clean my ears. it works
Hi.  I still have my itchy wet ears.  I have used baking soda in water w/syringe as well as distilled vinegar...it gets better and then it just goes back to crusty itchy wet ears.

SO...I think it's really a yeast/fungal infection.  I am doing an anti- yeast protocol along with eating fermented food.  (for the whole body) We'll see....

:)
I'm so glad I've found this place, I'll be bookmarking it for sure.
I've been going nuts scratching at my ears with the exact symptoms a lot of you are mentioning:  crusty, itchy, gooey ears etc.

My problem started after an ear infection.  After it cleared up, the itching started had has never gone away.  One year later and several creams, nothing seems to help.

Like many of you say, it's especially bad at night - I even itch it in my sleep so I'm sure to wash my hands thoroughly before bed to prevent further nasties going in my ear as I know I can't help the scratching when I'm asleep.  

I'm going to ask about a few of the things folks here have mentioned.  I just want it to go away!

If I have any luck, I'll be sure to let you all know.
Have any of you been diagnosed with TMJ?  My doc tried to say that was my problem.  I have the same ear symptoms as all of you but my jaw has started aching.
I am so grateful to have been able to read everyones comments regarding the fight with nasty, wet, flaky, painful ears. I too have ben suffering for over two years, with it only slightly improving from time to time, but never really going away.
5 days ago, after reading this blog, I headed to my GP to ask for my fourth prescription. The first, (last year) was VIADERM K.C.  (Trimcinolone Acetonide / Neomycin) a cortison based cream,which only helped a little, but didn't cure the problem.
The second KETODERM CREAM 2% (Ketoconazole 2%) I tried a few months later, thinking it was a fungal infection, but again, it only helped temporarily, sort of just lubricating the ear canals to relieve some of the itching. My third prescription was for FUCIDEN CREAM  (Fusidic Acid Cream 2%) which is an antibacterial cream, because my doctor felt so bad when he examined the ears again, that he said this would give some relief. Well it did, but it didn't cure anything, and the cycle just continued.
FINALLY, I pressured him with my new found information to give me a different cortison cream prescription for ECTOSONE CREAM 1% (Betamethasone Valerate 0.1%) and it has completely cleared up with a couple of daily applications in just 5 days.  I am dancing for joy, and hope all you sufferers can get this cream.
I asked for Derm Octic oil, but being Canadian, my GP and the pharmacist had not heard of it and it wasn't in "their books" but Ectosone is what is on the label.
THIS STUFF WORKS!!!
when i was young i had tubes in my ears and only had one ear prob after that i was 25
i remember that i stopped using qtips that time and it got better and was not as bad as this. I had a cold just recently then i could feel it go to my ears When it first started it was just in one ear and went to both of them. I cleaned my ears out with qtips and pulled out black **** and yellow wax came out. Itch Itch Itch!!!!!!!They became plugged
(like your under water really bad pressure prob), feverish, a crackeling sound when i try to pop my ears or move my jaw, very itchy inside my ears and my throat and along the sides of my jaw get sore too. I had 2 types of antibiotics for my cold my cold got better and my ears got worst.Itch Itch Itch Now my gp wont give me any antibiotics for them now im just stuck with itchy sore ears If I itch really bad I usually am feverish, a flaky stuff forms after in my ears . It becomes sore and wet a clear fluid begins in my ear not very much but alittle i think its because the ear is trying to repair itself.I then leave my ears alone and the cycle repeats itself. 4 months With this ear prob i tryed all the home remidies, Hydrogen Peroxide, Alcohol, viniger, lemon juice,Olive oil Nothing worked.I went to a health food store i got all the goods! vitamins - c i took up to 5000mg  d and a multi, echinacea with gold seal, silver hydrosol to wash and kill bacterial in my ear Nothing worked. I found this one that helped with the pressusre when it was really bad it worked to releave the pressure between the middel and outter ear  had an app. with a ent and he told me i was fine haha!!! OK!!!!!!!! i tried to fight and tell him no theres something wrong!!!!!!!!! but he just gave me cortisone cream - cortoderm it soothes abit of the itchy but the itch comes back and i 4 weeks now with the cortoderm and still Itchy!!!!!
i just went to my gp today and showed him the cortisone cream - cortoderm and told him im still sore around my ears, itchy in my ears,sore throated,feverish,and along the sides of my jaw get sore, abit stuffy and get colds easier now I told him about ECTOSONE CREAM 1% (Betamethasone Valerate 0.1%)  and he gave me
CIPRODEX drops
(ciprofloxacin hydrochloride and dexamethasoneotic suspension)
0.3% ciprofloxacin 0.1%w/v
i just wanted to say i havent qtipped my ears in 6 weeks and only to apply the cortisone cream - cortoderm  
Will keep everyone posted

.  
One Dr said my brain wasn't leaking, one said it was from showering and the rest ignored me saying my ears are fine.  What I have done is if I scratch too much and they close I use a 1/4C of Peroxide in cup of water (more or less) and irrigate with a syringe while in the shower (it dries the wet and cleans the ear) but my son said his Dr said you don't want to do that too much cause it could damage the small inner hairs that protect your ears.  I use a dab of Cortizone on the end of a Qtip for anti itch.  I thought this was caused by weather.   It comes and goes and I sometimes have to sleep sitting up.  I am Diabetic now and wonder if that is what started it (food and so forth).  I also feel drainage in my throat (right side) and very back of nose...sinus??  Will keep reading.
Thought I had already posted this, but maybe not.  I had all the same symptoms as the rest of you and doctors were no help.  I kept thinking it must be some kind of fungal thing  and tried some listerine on a q-tip.  First time burned a bit for a couple of minutes (probably because I had been scratching) but the itching/wet went away and didn't come back for a few days,when it did, I did the listerine again and the itching and wet went away for months, came back a bit (very minor) last week probably due to swimming and I did listerine again and it was gone in a few hours.  Think this may be the cure we've been looking for!  Good luck
Hi all:  It's been a while but I am still dealing with the itchy wet ears.  

A couple of questions:

The Derm Otic Oil.  Is it a perscription?  Is it a US Item?  My MD didn't recognize the name of it.  What did the bottle say when you got it?  Were there different ingredients or names that I could suggest to  him?

Found the Zymox on Amazon and plan on getting that.  My next step with my MD is Cipro as mentioned by some others.  

I'm still not making ear wax and have pretty much constant itching.  Seems like I find one combination that works then I stop doing it and it comes back.  **sigh**

I'm glad some of you are finding relief!

Melanie
by GG1128, Jul 20, 2009 06:48PM
To: Fellow ear scratchers
THIS STUFF WORKS!!!

Hi all, After getting my first ever ear infection that I can remember (I'm 40) about a year ago, I have experienced swimmers ear ever since. Given that I live in Australia and it is our winter I have not been in the pool or swimming at the beach, yet have found the I ended up with this horrible wet, drive you mad itchy ear that would get this flaky substance build up. I went to the doctors and he to initially thought eczema and told my to use a moisturizer such as QV in my ear.
Needless to say this didn't work. It tried a few other creams with no success. I found this forum and took the suggestions to my GP to get his thoughts.
Anyway, I was prescribed ear drops called KENACOMB OTIC ear drops. The drops are as thick as motor oil or thin honey & the feeling can be quite unpleasant in your ear, but the relief well worth the discomfort.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcmed.nsf/pages/bqckenao/$File/bqckenao.pdf  

I have used this for a week and it has now been 4 days since I have put any drops in my ears. no itching as yet and I am hopeful that this may be my saving grace as I was at the stage of wanting my right ear surgically removed.
Hope this helps others in their search. Fingers crossed that this is a long term solution for me and others.

Brian
CIPRODEX drops
0.3% ciprofloxacin 0.1%w/v
This worked for me nomore itch in my ears they are just sore now on the outside im using a heat pad for the soreness i hope i dont have to use the heat pad for much longer
the drops i got are for Otitis externa
Did the Zymox actually dry up the ears, thereby stopping the itch? I have never had ear problems until a few months ago when this fluid and itching appeared. I gave myself an ear infection with my digging and rubbing. Abx cleared the infection but the wet itchiness remains. Not sure what to do next.
a friend of mine had this condition a few years ago i found out the other day when i complaned to him i had ear ache with flakey skin like dandruff falling out he saw a dr,to no avail and then a skin specialist and was told the gunk/fluid vas all the ointments going in (they have to go somewhere) i guess . he was told to dry ears with a hair dryer when wet after shower ect , i laughed and said pull the other one ,he said seriously it worrked for him he did it for a month+he saidyou look stupid but what would you rather have ????? its harder than it sounds belive me to sit there but he did it 2/3 years ago and it never came back so here goes
I will try to purchase DermOtic Oil Otic.. hope it doesn't have bad side effects.. & hope it also doesn't need to have prescription.. ;(
Further to my post above, the drops I have been using have worked wonderfully. I have on the rare occasion felt itchy in my ear and I don't know if is the itchy wet flaky ears coming back or not, but I know my paranoia makes me give my ears a light coating with the oil. I don't want this back.
Have a loom at the drops I have been using, they worked for me. You can read about them on this link
I found this site after suffering with on-again, off-again with a itchy, wet, and (to be frank) foul-smelling ear for over 4 years.  I saw two different physicians, an Ear/Nose/Throat specialist in NYC, and two dermatologists trying to fix the problem.  Nobody knew what it was.  I was prescribed DermOtic twice, which worked only while I was using it.  The problem being that I can't stand the smell of the stuff (it smells like very strong-smelling baby oil).  

Based on recommendations here, I ordered CalmEar from Miracell.  I don't know if this was just because I already had such a major problem or not, but it made things much worse for me.  I spent a week on a meditation retreat not being able to hear at all out of my left ear.

The day I got back, I went to my doctor for the third time.  I was so distraught that she sent me directly to the ENT in her practice, who I had never met before.  The ENT took one look in my ear and said, "Yep, I know exactly what this is."  She brought out a book and showed me what a major fungal infection looks like.  (Not pretty.)

She said the original cause is dry skin in the ear canal.  The dry skin causes an itch; the scratching introduces bacteria and fungal spores.  The rest is clear.

She cleaned my ear with water, then with alcohol. Then she painted the interior with Gentian Violet, an antifungal medicine most often used to cure thrush in the mouth.

Then she prescribed me "Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Hydrocortisone Otic Solution USP" by Bausch & Lomb.  It's a prescription medication that is different from DermOtic because the latter treats only fungal infections.  These drops are anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and also contain steroids.  They only treat the skin, and do not absorb into the bloodstream, so they are safe to use indefinitely.

I used them twice a day for 7 days.  At 7 days, the itch was completely gone.  I went back to the ENT for a followup a week later, and the itch was still gone.  However, she said I should use the drops once a week for, well, forever.  She said I will likely have this problem for the rest of my life, and will need to treat it as a chronic condition.  She put 12 refills on my prescription, if you can believe it.

While I don't love the idea of using medicine forever, I have found SUCH RELIEF from what I thought was an untreatable problem, that I am willing to do it.

I hope this is helpful.  Good luck to all of you!