Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Endlessly itchy wet ears

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Endlessly itchy wet ears

Since I was a child I have had ear problems but over the past few years I have had increasingly maddening ear problems.  I have used drops and anti biotics.  I sense relief then the symptoms return.  Most days I can hear but am constantly aware that my ears are itchy.  The challenge is to not itch.  If I itch, I usually get flaky stuff that I literally can lift off my inner ear.If I itch too much it becomes wet and begins draining a wet clear fluid.  Then at night, whatever side I lay on clogs shut.  In the morning there is thick crusty crud that again I try not to pick at.  Im obviously in continual circle of symptoms here.  Dr's seem to think I cause this problem by itching which causes infection which causes itchiness. HELP please?  I am open to homeopathic suggestions as mainstream medicine just seems to temporarily relieve the symptoms and not cure the cause.  Thanks in advance
Viewing 1-200 comments:
Hmmmm, I am the only one with this??
I know someone hear (play on words) must have this problem.
Took new strong antibiotic pills along with a long dose of ear drops.  Dr. Said Chronic ear infections are harder to get rid of. No running in ears but still maddening external itching.  Crusty **** can be scraped off the itchy area. Its like dried onion skin.  C'mon I know I am not the only one with this ****.  Help!
I think we both have the same problem..Ive got the itching and the wet clear fluid, but mine ends up sticky with a nasty odour..And my left ear has clogged shut..but i am in extreme pain now because i hav swelling around my left jaw..and yes it is really hard o stop the itching..
But unlike u i cant take tablets..lol so i hope the doctors can sort it out coz it hurts sooooo much
Av, its horrible. Mine has been going on for three years.  The only benefit is that I do not hear my husband's snoring. I lay down and they immediately clog. I did used to get really nasty smelling crud out of them every morning. I have had times when my jaw is so sore, or my ear, or below my ear. This has been such a pain in "the ear" for me. Richt now the itchiness is truly driving me nuts. I have even restorted to putting cortisone creme or just good moisturizer in my ear to try to stop this madness.
My room mate and I quit smoking. we starting getting the same symptoms and blamed on physical change due to quitting smoking. we are now both losing sleep.
I think it must be contageous. Why did two of us get it at the same time? Will see doctor today.
my left ear itches just inside the canal. when i relieve the itch with a cotton swab flaky moisture comes out. a couple months ago i went to a doctor about dizziness and painless sinus pressure and congestion (which i still have problems with, so that was pretty much a waste of time) he looked in my ears and noticed a blistery looking spot where the itch was coming from. he gave me antibiotic ear drops and they temporarily relieved the itch but now its back. i think that was his solution to get me out of his office though haha. you shouldve seen him squirm when i mentioned the dizziness. i think he knew that itch had nothing to do with it but he just wanted me out of there for a while
The itch can drive you insane. Last night I was going nuts with intense itchy feeling.  Sure enough, when you try to relieve the itch you cause it to get all stirred up again and runny. All I want for xmas is Two new ears, Two New Ears.......
I went to the doctor. He told me there was absolutely nothing wrong, no infection, no punctured ear drum, and no wax build up. He said I was probably getting water in my ears from the shower and it was draining at night. I have been showering for 50 yrs and never had this problem. I read on another forum (regarding same thing) to use vaseline on a q-tip. Doctor said this did not sound like a good idea. My room mate decided to try it and is cured. I started doing it myself this morning. No itching. The draining actually keeps me awake. Will see if I have crust in the morning. Will let u know.
vaseline works
Do you have acid reflux/GERD?  I awaken most days with both ears feeling wet inside and my ear wax is sticky enough that I can stretch it out between my fingers.  My ears have been itchy for so many years that it seems normal to me to have them constantly itch and feel raw.  I made numerous trips to the doctor as a kid and even until my early 20s only to be told that I had no ear infection.  Now that I have severe GERD I am starting to wonder if these symptoms were a result of acid in my throat at night.  Try following the GERD improvement suggestions (especially avoiding certain foods and stopping eating a few hours before bedtime) and see if that makes any difference.  I'm having a hard time finding information about "wet ears" and acid reflux together, but I believe it's just a matter of time before we hear more about it.  I am having a hard time stopping eating and still I eat the problem foods (like chocolate, fatty foods, etc), but I have some food issues to deal with.  Please let me know if trying this helps you.
Glad to know other people are having the same symptoms. I have fluid from left ear only and then it forms a crusty layer and itches. Went to the doctor and they said the same thing about the shower thing which was rediculous. I have went to an ear noise throat specialize and they only gave me ear drops. the first dr suggested it was wax. I said wax isnt wet. I can feel it draining when Im laying down. I have had this for about 3yrs now. drives me crazy. I am thinking of going to a dermatologist next, has anyone went to one yet?
I know where you are coming from I thought I was the only one with this issue, my itching gets so bad that I scratch and dig until me ears scabb and hurt but I cant stop scratching because it itches so baddly.  I have stuck pencils, pens, keys, in my ear just to try and relieve the itching.  If you have any suggestions on what to use for the itching please help.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Itchy ears are actually very common.  They tend to be worse in people who make very little wax as wax typically lubricates and moistens the ear canal.  

There are several things that can be tried.  If the eardrums are intact, a drop or two of baby oil (mineral oil) every few days can help quite a bit.  Over-the-counter 1% hydrocortisone cream (apply to outer ear canal with the little finger) can be very helpful.  There are other prescription treatments (Dermotic oil) that can help also.

There are actually some people that have chronic external otitis due to fungal infections of the nails.  This is called an "id" reaction or dermatophytid reaction.  Treating the nail fungus will actually help the ears in some of these patients.  Strange but true.

Hope this helps!  See an ENT physician for a full exam if you are unsure as to the status of your ear canals or eardrums.
I also have had very itchy ears.  They started years ago before I had  my first baby.  After I had the baby, they got REALLY itchy and it wasn't until she was a year old that I discovered I was hypothyroid.  When I started taking the medication for my thyroid and my levels became normal, my itchy ears magically disappeared!  However, I had another baby.  It wasn't until she was 6 months old that I got itchy ears again.  My thyroid was off again, but this time my ears remained itchy after my medication was regulated.  Needless to say, I am very frustrated.  Now it is spreading to around my nose and above and below my eyes.
I have had ear trouble since day one of my life. I am the type to get swimmers ear from showers. I have a simular problem with gunk and itchy ears. I am unable to hear unless my ear is directed at what I am trying to hear. Some times they get so bad I have to go to the ENT specialist and have stuff suctioned from my ear once a week for about six weeks. Regular eardrops whether it is antibiotics, steroids, or whatever only make the situation worse. I got Domboro drops which helped with the goo. My ears still get dry and flakey. If I don't address the issue immediately, it will get worse. I was prescribed Elecon cream which helped with they dry, itchy and flaking. It still happens, mostly in the winter, though.  They still haven't given me a reason why or anything, though.
I have had the same problem for over three years now.  My family doctor told me to swab my ears with a mixture of alcohol and vinegar which gave me some relief for a short period of time.  I have been seeing an ENT now, once or twice a week, maybe 8 visits total.  We started with antibiotics and drops which worked while I was taking the drops.  Then the Doc did a culture and prescibed a new antibiotic, a creame and new drops.  I experienced the same outcome and the symptoms returned immediately after the medicine ran out.  The doc said she couldnt continue using the creame and drops because they had steroids in them.  The latest thing the Doc tried was an old fashioned medicine, I'm sorry I don't have the name, that she used to paint my ear canal and then sprayed some kind of powder on it.  I thought after two treatments that it was starting to improve but after a third visit it is getting worse again.  Symptoms are itchiness, very wet ears at night on the side or sides that I sleep on and a flaky crust type stuff that forms in the ear which is very hard to remove and hurts like heck when i remove it.  I am now preparing to go to a second ENT to see if he/she might have any more ideas.
My 12 year old son had a cholestoma removed about 5 months ago and his ear is not healing correctly.  He is having the same conditions as you describe above.  His ear canal swells almost close, itches terribly, is full of gunk and leaks at night.  He is not getting water in his ear (only baths and my wife carefully washes his ears) so we don't know what is causing the drainage.  The surgery was done by a reputable surgeon at Johns Hopkins Hospital but he said he's never seen this condition after a cholestoma surgery. He thinks the problem is due to the my son scratching but as you know its a  terrible cycle (itching, scratching, etc).  

Has anyone found anything that works?  He has no ear drum since the surgery.
I've had the same problem with my ears for about 30 years now off and on, sometimes it has gone away for a while, I'm not sure why...but has been constant for a few years now.   About 30 years ago I had a doctor, his name was Dr.Osheroff, I haven't seen or heard of him in years, anyway he told me it was some type of a fungus or mold and gave me some white cream from a tube that he just happen to have in his office, he gave me some in a little container (so I don't know what the name of it was, now I wish I would have asked) and instructed me to apply some with a q-tip he handed me, immediatly the itching stopped, it was like a miracle, what a huge relief!  I seem to remember only actually using it for about a week, I'm not even sure I had to use up the little container of it.  But I do know that It took care of the problem for years.  Now that the problem is back I've looked in our local phone book for the doctor to no avail.    Problem definately could be fungus, which would explain weepy, crawly feeling in ears........also seems worse after sugar comsumption (sugar feeds yeast).      
I have many of the same problems.  The doctor said I had seborrheic dermititis - which can also show up as flaky skin around your nose and mouth.  Using a prescription co-steroid cream helped the flaky itchy skin - - still dealing with the liquid running out of my ear.....
If the ear doctor doesn't help - see a dermatologist....
I'm no doctor, but been there, had that..........have them check for fungal infection or yeast! Betcha a week or two of distilled vinegar drops in your ear will eliminate this! Works better than the otc Lotrimin drops for ears! Hope this helps you...!
Funny tung
Let me try this again.  I recently used a dandruff shampoo and almost immediately the running of my ears slowed down to a near halt but now I have scaly skin in the outer ear with incessant ringing and my sense of smell is stronger.  Does this make sense?
It's kind of reassuring to read this thread and know that I'm not alone in being driven mad by ear itch. I also get the wetness at night or if I scratch too hard. I usually scratch with my pinky so I have to make sure the nail is short so I don't do any damage. My doctor looks in my ears and sees nothing unusual, just a bit of redness from my scratching, and occasionally some "excess" wax in one ear. Here's what he told me.
I am in a viscious circle of itching and scratching. My ears have become addicted to scratching and they need their "fix" regularly. But just like all addicts the more scratching I give them the more they want. I have to stop giving them their fix, so as to break the maddening circle. So I am trying this. I have now gone about 30 hours without touching my ears and it has been extremely difficult, because the itch is close to unbearable at times, and it is especially difficult at night because I get woken up by the intense itch and I have to remember to just bear it. I don't know how long it will take or whether it will even work, but I am going to give it my best shot. I was able to quit smoking many years ago, and I can telll you that this is just as difficult, if not more so.
I will keep you all informed.

ktb
I have to also admit it is so nice to hear there are others just like me.  I've tried lots of different things to get rid of this.  My doctor told me to try 50% vinegar + 50% alcohol....burns like crazy!!! and is difficult to do because it smells up my bedroom and drive's my wife crazy.  I also can't do it during the day because my coworkers would smell it as well.  I've tried squirting water into my ears to clean them out using the blue-bulb thing someone else mentioned.  that seems to help a little bit and i see lots of dry white skin and q-tip peices come out.  this is driving me crazy and i can't believe there's no remedy yet.  One thing that has also helped a little was putting a small amount of cortizone anti-itch (odor free) on a q-tip and putting that in my ears before leaving for work.  At night it gets pretty bad too.  I've woke myself up because i was itching my ear and didn't even know it.  and ya, when they get really bad they get that clear fluid that sits in there.  what is going on here??????  oh, i should mention this all started shortly after i got swimmers ear in both of my ears almost a year ago.  maybe i'll do as ktb is doing and try to go without itching.  good luck ktb!  i feel your pain.

rvdk
I too have itchy ears. I too have a crusty dry film, almost like dandruff of the ear. But mine is caused by a food allergy. If I eat seafood or peanut butter, it starts. If I don't, then it's gone. We didn't figure it out until I ate a bunch of crabs and the same symptom appeared on my eye lid. It's called an allergic dermatitis. Hydrocortisone helps and another produt called elidel helps, but don't use that one on your eyelids lol, made that mistake OUCH!! I really enjoy seafood though, so since my reaction isn't anaphylactic, I am sometimes willing to itch in trade for shrimp :)
I have been dealing with these same ear symptoms for most of the past year. I have been to an ENT and had my ears irrigated. I have done the vinegar drops and the hair dryer into the ear. Nothing has given me more than very temporary relief. I just stumbled across this site that looks to have a potential diagnosis/solution. (www.hillderm.com/skin-disease-treatments/itchy-ears.shtml) They call it Chronic Eczematous External Otitis and recommend prescription ear drops called DermOtic Oil. I have no idea how good the info is, but I'm going to check it out. I'm also going to look into the food allergy idea, as I'm the type that wants to know what caused this in the first place.

Thanks to you all for making me realize I'm not the only one with this crazy problem.
Just to update on my attempt to break the cycle of itch and scratch. I managed to go 3 days without scratching.(Just to clarify, when I say scratching I mean rubbing vigorously with my pinky. I don't actually scratch because I have cut the nail on my pinky very short). However I broke down in my sleep on the fourth night and my frantic scratching woke me up. So I had to start from scratch (nice pun, eh?) but this time I broke down on the second night. It seems night time is the worst for itching. So I decided I needed some help to break this addiction, as my doctor called it. I rummaged around in the medicine cabinet and found some Ketoderm cream 2% that was prescribed to me 2 years ago for athlete's foot. I figured if it could stop the itch of athletes foot (which is a form of fungus) then maybe it would work on my ears. I know I shouldn't be self prescribing like this, but doctors don't seem to have the answer. I checked on the internet for possible side effects and there were none. I have used it for 5 days now and I do think it is helping, though the itching still comes back from time to time. I'll keep at it for a couple of weeks and let you all know if it worked.

ktb
I too had similar symptoms that regular doctors could not explain.
As soon as I went to my ENT doctor and told him the vinegar drops burned he looked in my ear with a special microscope and sure enough it was ear fungus.  He scraped out my ear, swabed it with violet stuff (similar to what they do for babies with thrush) and gave me a prescription for drops that he said was the only thing that will kill fungus all of the others only keep it from multiplying.  I'll get back to you on what the prescription was.  I no longer have the itch, crust, etc. now I just have to deal with the perforated ear drum and eustation tube problems.
I have been using DermOtic oil for just over a week now. The discharge stopped after one dose. The itching took a little longer, just because the healing of my skin caused some itching. But it was only a couple days before I was totally itch free. My ears feel totally normal now--no plugging up, no fierce itching, no draining, and the skin is smooth and soft instead of crusty. I went to three different doctors for this issue and none of them suggested this prescription. The vinegar drops I tried dried out the draining and gave me temporary relief, but they didn't solve anything. These are completely soothing--they smell like baby oil--and I can't recommend them enough.
Hi, not 1  year, not 3, but 28 long years I have suffered with this ear problem.  Had several doctors tell me my ears were fine.  Sometimes I only wash my hair a couple times a week, but still thats what they said the liquid was.  I live in VT, certainly don't swim in the winter, I knew I didn't have Swimmers ear. The only help was cortisone cream, which would only help for an hour or so.   Also some cortisone drops, which never sunk in my ear canals.   I researched the web for years, sometimes I would read about someone that had a similar problem, but it just didnt completly match mine.  My ears have been worse the last few weeks, soaked in the morning, and like cornflakes the rest of the day.   My daughter kept listening to me complain and watching me dig dig dig in there.  Wrong or right I have kept the Q-Tip company in business for the last 20 years, couldn't survive without them.  My fabulous teenage daughter found this site the other night, I was knocked over the more posts she read, FINALLY, there are other people like me with this rotten problem.  Called my Dr. yesterday, picked up my prescription today for Dermotic oil, I just know this is going to be sucessful, and I so thank each and everyone of you for starting this blog.  I'll be back in a week to report, but I feel confidant that someone has finally found the answer. xoxoxoxo
I have put that oil information into my favorites.  It is reassuring to see that I am not the only person with this crazy ear thing. I too was driving my husband NUTS itching without even realizing I was chronically and continually digging.  I am so thankful mine have been in a calmer state since mistakenly getting dandruff shampoo in them. What a blessing!
Got the prescription Fri. afternoon,  Now its Sunday night , There is no crust in my ears, they are not itching and have not had any liquid draining,  This stuff is working, 30 years with this problem and it seems to be going away with just 2 days of this medicine.  Its too good to be true.  Will check in here in another day or two, damn, I AM  SO HAPPY!!!
Finaaaaaally! Some people I can actually relate to! Ever since I was 6 months old I started to get major ear infections. During my childhood, my ears were the worst. I went to my local ENT while all of these infections kept occurring. I went through so many painful procedures.I've basically gone through it all. Ear wicks, painful suctions, etc. They seemed to help me at first but then my ears got worse again. About 5 or 6 years ago, I had both my ear drums rupture at the same time. Let me tell you, that was the worst pain I think I have ever gone through. I wrapped a blanket around my head because any sound would kill my ears and I'd just rock back and forth. The pain was just unbearable. Anyways, after that my ear infections started to go away and haven't come back since. (KNOCK ON WOOD!) Hah. But for the past year or two I've had EXTREMELY itchy ears. Both of my inner ears get these irresistible itches. I use qtips all the time and I know that's so horrible but they're the only things that help me relieve the itches.I wake up in the middle of the night with the most crazy itches and it drives me insane! I hate being in public and getting ear itches because there's nothing I can do. I usually just close my ear & wait for it to go away but that's hard. I've used bobbypins and pencils just to relieve the itch in public when nobody's looking. It's so bad and I can't take it anymore. I clean my ears so much that no wax even comes out of them. I get watery ears a lot lately and I wonder what causes that. This is just really frustrating! I need to figure out what to do!
Hey, its now Wed. night, my ears feel like normal peoples ears!!!  This DERM OTIC OIL TOOK CARE OF MY EARS IN A COUPLE OF DAYS, remember I have suffered with
this for about 28 years, Thanks God my daughter found this site.
I have had itchy ears for 20 years.  I have been stuck in tan endless cycle of itch, scratch, react, crust, pick, react, itch, scratch, react, and so...
I have travelled the world with this awful complaint and have seen many doctors, ENT specialists, homeopathist doctors, professors and they all shrug it off with dermatitis.   Every cream I have tried has not worked.  I also tried the new Metascan and Nuruetrepan medication but again no luck.  
The best was Eumovate (UK, over the counter at Boots pharmacy) which stopped the itch for 4 months but then it came back and the cream doesn't work any more.

My story gets worse.  I now have constant Tinnitus and have been diagnosed with Menieres Syndrome.  My situation is now that I have severe itching in my ears, maddening high pitched white noise filling my head and feel like i've stepped off a roundabout every once in a while.
I also have problems now with changes with changes in altitude and lifts.

In my experience I would recommend the following:

1.  Avoid vaseline as it dries out the ears and makes them worse.
2.  Avoid sticking anything in your ear to scratch and pick.  Rolled up pieces of paper, cotten buds and finger nails will result in nerve damage and possibly Menieres Syndrome like me.
3.  Putting your head under the water.

If anyone can help I can be contacted at ***@****

Thanks.

(Scratch, Rub, Scratch, Fall Over...)

My doctor also said to use alcohol.  This nuisance is new to me... only a year or two of this misery.
It was like I was allergic to my own ear wax.

Then I went to a different doctor because I had a bad rash on my chest that also itched and wouldn't do away.  I told her about my ears.  She suggested using the cortizone treatment in the ears too.  It did offer temporary relief.  Now I can't hear properly out of one side... funny thing though... that ear no longer itches... but it does ring constantly and I feel like I'm under water.  

The other ear is still driving me nuts from itching.

Looking in here for help make me know that I have to make my doctor take these symptoms more seriously.
I thought I was alone.  I've been battling ear infections all my life.  I got a really bad one two months ago.  My ear drum ruptured and I've been in agony ever since.  My ear drum is healing but my left ear itches like crazy.  I keep resisting the urge to shove something in it but I have fantasies that one of these days I'm going to lose it in public.  It's driving me insane.  I see an ENT twice a week to have my ear suctioned.  Yesterday my ear canal was so swollen it closed.  I've had an ice pack on my head for 36 hours.  My jaw is swollen.  I spend all my time at work, in class or at the doctor's office.  Even worse, I live in Taiwan and my doctor speaks a minimal amount of English which makes my problem even more frustrating.  I've spent hours looking for help or others like me who might have alternate suggestions for relief.  I don't want to deal with this for the rest of my life.
I just wanted to add a postscript to my experience with the dermotic oil drops. They worked miraculously for me, but my symptoms came back after I stopped using them. I talked to my doctor yesterday and he advised me to do another course of the drops, but to taper them off instead of stopping them abruptly. So, two weeks of the drops twice a day, then once a day for a week, then every other day for a week, etc. He believes I had a rebound reaction to the steroid and that my ears need more time to fully heal.
Just thought I would share that, in case anyone else is having a similar problem.
i started suffering with itchy ears quite a few months ago and like the rest of you it would drive me insane especially in the morning....doc just said looked pretty normal.....anyway i also had mentioned it to my naturopath and she said that when the oils in our body were out of wack.....that the ears could be affected....whatever i bumped up my intake of fish oil on a daily basis and this definitely has made it much better......i take a spectrum brand capsule 360mg EPA/240DHA per serving which is 2 capsules...although somedays i just take 1 even though the recommended dose is 2 caps...anyway thought this might help
I have had the ithcy ear thing for 4 years now - - starting in one ear and recently moving into the other ear (i believe after scratching the ear with a bamboo chopstick - works great by the way - that i had used on the itchy ear).  The itching gets intense after eating sweet fruit or honey  or when my blood suger drops (my family and i eat only raw food no refined suger or the like now). I have had severe candida in the past, poor digestion, and weakend immune system worsened by Juvinile Rhuematoid Arthritis and 7 years of steroid use.  With all this in mind, i believe strongly the itchy ear, crusty problem is YEAST INFECTION in the ear (but not for all cases).  What the doctors say concern me not (i have had serveral okay ear checks since the problem began).  Look, your health is in your own hands -  take what the docs say with a grain of salt and backup their talk with your own research - you can be as "smart" as they are and you definately know your body better they do.  i feel for all of you deeply (several times my ears have swollen shut and lymph nodes been blocked up into hard rocks for weeks non stop - i understand:)).  tea tree oil (not staight oil in the ear though dilute first!!!), paud'arco, garlic, olive leaf extract (seagate is a good company), olive oil,  gse, PROBIOTICS, digestive enzymes, wild oregano oil, NO REFINED SUGAR, chlorophyll, and no antibiotics are a start.  however, i understand the bind.  I have 4 young kiddos as well and one is lovingly sqeezing my nanas right now wanting to nurse hence the bad typing & such.  Hope this helps - it has encougaged me to be MOTIVATED, MOTIVATED, MOTIVATED SIR to take charge of my own health.  with empathy, rjana.

I too have itchy moist ears.  I had a really bad Qtip habit that I fear may have caused all of this trouble.  When I used to use Qtips I always had a bit of yellow ear wax on the tip.  After really getting aggressive with Qtips and using them several times a day I believe the Ph in my ears became unbalanced and now I/we may have some type of yeast infection.  For more than a year I have seen no yellow wax.   I'm going to ask for the Derm Otic drops and consider the EPA oils.   I'm just guessing I have all of the levels off in my ears like the last person mentioned.  I have had no real history with ear aches or swimmers ear since childhood.  Even then they were rare.  I think I did this to myself.  
:o(  I use the vinegar drops prescribed by my MD and try to only lightly clean once a day to get the wetness out.  I also have a horrible habit of scratching.  UGH!! how to stop? I have no idea.

I will do a little more research and get back with you if I find anything.  

M
Just checking back to this site again, as nothing I've tried seems to work for more than a short period. I find that I have to have my ears flushed out every few months because the constant scratching and digging just compresses the wax and send it deeper into the ear canal. This of course causes partial blockage and affects the hearing. Once flushed out, my hearing is fine until the cycle repeats. I have an appointment with a ENT mid June. I'm going to ask him about prescribing the dermotic oil that has been mentioned on here (thanks, Gwynhwyfyr), and which seems to be working for some people. I'll report back later.
HI All,  I have been trying for the better part of a week to stop the itching.  First it was hard.  I stopped all swabbing in the AM or otherwise.  I only itched or rubbed from the outside ONLY when neccessary.  I continued to use the vinigar drops the MD gave once a day.  I also began taking 8 billion Acidopholis (2 caps / day) to balance the yeast and good bugs in my system.  I'm guessing this is some sort of Yeast infection.  I used to work with Vet's and when a dog came in with an ear infection that was caused by yeast it had a distinct odor.  This does too.  Not too strong, just there...   I've been reletively itch free for a few days now.  Or maybe I just don't notice it.  I'm hoping that I can get some ear wax to start developing again.  I'm afraid to stick a Q tip in there to check just in case I start the whole thing all over again.  My fear is that I've screwed up my wax development permanently.  My son makes wax by the gallon and my husband suggested we do a wax transplant... ICK sounds gross but if I just had some in there to sooth and protect it might start mine up again.  Anyone condsider that?  Help!

I go to my MD for some other stuff Monday and Im going to ask for the Derm Otic oil.  I'll report on that too later.

M
i can relate to all of you, i have an appointment next week with a dermotoligist because my m.d. has thrown his hands up with this problem. i must say that i laughed so hard at ktbhoys posts, saying your ears are itching and they need their fix, but we must not give into it. my sister has this problem also. we have both tried everything to stop the itching, drainage and pain but nothing seems to help for very long. i'm going to ask about the dermotic oil when i go to the dr. is this an antifungal, a steroid are what? gwenhwyfyr can you give more info on this medication please. thanks to everyone, i though my sister and i were the only itchy scratchy ear sufferers around. remar
the wetness i suffer from is when the weather is cold. The ear gets itchy and when i use a cotton bud it comes out wet but clear. Sometimes. the itch stops when I use anti allergic tabs.Is this a medical condition?
For over a year I've had the same problem. I too drive my husband crazy "Why are you digging in  your ear?"

The outer part of my ear itches, becomes dry and flakes off skin. Sometimes they are red and inflamed. Sometimes I feel the clear fluid as well.

I think I am going to make another appointment with my doctor as well. Previously my doctor gave me a script for a steriod cream. I was not very dedicated at using it. I think I will try that over the next few days and see how it goes.
i have the same problem dude.
I have the same problem.  I started getting ear infections in high school that would swell up the side of my face and make my jaw hurt.  Any type of movement was agony.  My ear canal would swell completely shut.  I never had any itchiness with them and my doctor said it was swimmer's ear and gave my antibiotic drops that got rid of it.  I've continued to get random ear infections for the past 8 years, nothing big.  My last ear infection was about 6 months ago, but this time they were itchy and wet.  I swelled up and got a fever and got put on antibiotics-oral and drops.  It got rid of the swelling, pain, and fever but the itch and wetness/crustiness never went away.  I went to an ENT and audiologist.  It hasn't affected my hearing, audiologist says I have remarkable hearing so thats good.  I was given fluicinolone (sp.) cream and that seems to help temprarily.  He said it could be a skin problem similar to psoriasis.  Its driving my nuts!!  The itching is ridiculous!  Its gross.  I've tried alcohol, lotion, neosporin, blow dryer method and I can't seem to get rid of the itch.  I'm going to have to get my hands on that derm otic oil.  I've only been dealing with this for about 6 months and i'm going crazy, I can't even imagine having this problem as long as the rest of you.  
Hi to all fellow itch ears!  I have been going out of my mind now for about 2 months so I really feel for all of you who have been suffering this problem for years.  I have had a succession of creams, drops and anti biotics over the past few weeks, one lot of anti biotics made me feel sick all the time and although the problem seemed to go away while I was taking the medication, it came back as soon as I stopped.  I have an appointment at my gp on Friday and I am going to ask for DermOtic Oil and give it a try - quite frankly I am at the stage where I will try anything just to get a good nights sleep from this itching/scratching cycle!  Good luck to everyone else.  I will let you know how I get on with the oil.
since I last wrote I have been using the .2% steroid cream my doctor gave me. I'm supposed to use it twice a day, but I usually only remember to do it once. After I get out of the shower, I use a Q tip and put a little just on the outside opening of my ear cannal.

It has helped a lot with the itching and flaking skin, but if I stop using it... I can feel the itching begin.

I'll write if anything changes, otherwise I am going to continue with the .2% hydrocortisone cream.   Please note. Those who want to try the hydrocortisone cream should get a script for the lower .2%.   The stores sell 1% cream, which should not be used on thinner skin- any part of your face & ears.

I don't think I have what some of you are describing, but to the person who said that the ear discharge wa smelly, has anyone checked into whether you may have some type of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. This is a very common outr ear infection in canines but Pseudomonas aeruginosa is everywhere and if you managed to get it into an ear there is no reason not to susect it in people. In canines Cipro was te systemic drug that worked on it a few years ago, but that stuff changes quickly initially gentimiacin worked on it but as I understand it Pseudomonas became resistant to that and then Cipro was used. I don't think you all have this but those with a smelly discharge, or mucus discharge etc may.
Like many of you, I am happy to find this forum.
I am a health care provider and suffer with this issue as well.
I also have Sjogren's Syndrome and wondered if there could be a connection.  Indeed there is.  Sjogren's Syndrome (an autoimmune condition) is unusual but can cause the very symptoms many of us have.  I am relieved to know my situation could have a cause.  Because this is an autoimmune condition, there is no known cure yet but there is something else for people to consider.

G
Wow, it's great to find this.  Mine started 3 years ago with clear fluid running out of my ears and dripping off my chin.  The fluid made my skin itch like crazy, but there was no actual pain (that it, until I itched the inside of my ear so much it started bleeding).  Antibiotics helped for a month or two, but it came back.  

For the past 8 months, the fluid has stayed inside my ear, and there's not as much of it, but the itching is worse!  I'm a Q-tip freak.  My Dr. says there's nothing wrong.  Recently had my ears cleaned out, and a massive chunk of gray/black/white wax came out.  Very nasty.  

Now, the ear is clogged again, but there's no wax.  Sounds like I'm underwater, and when I yawn or move my head quickly, I can hear a fluid inside that starts bubbling.  But when I stick in a Q-tip, it comes out perfectly dry!

I'm really praying I can get this Dermotic oil and that it works.  God, I feel for you who have had this for so many years.
How come all you people described this damn problem so well when the medical info online never seems to describe it the same at all? I too have the dry crusty ears with the clear liquid that seeps out. The cycle of wanting to itch when it becomes dry and crusty and painful, it closes up from the swelling . I have vertigo a few times a year, had  a mastoidectomy about 53 yrs ago as a baby, and tinnitus to, but don`t know if any of this is linked?
Mine did seem to start in my left ( mastoidectomy) ear  many many years ago and I don`t know if I have ` contaminated` my right ear as I get it in both now,
When my ear seeps it is clear and mostly an unpleasant smell to it and seems to sting in my ear.
My doc gave me some steroid cream a few years ago( said it was eczema) but it didn`t get rid of it, just seemed to soothe it. They don`t seem bothered to be honest, I had an ear infection about a month ago in my right ear and I went to a walk in centre as the nurses there seem more interested than my doc does!
Great . Now I know I`m not alone and itchy...lol.
Guys
I have been suffering from this condition for years.Constantly scratching and making my ears bleed and sometimes a colourless fluid would discharge from the resultant scatching
I had been to the doctors on numerous occassions and was told it was because I was'nt drying my ears properly .What a a load of rubbish.I was eventually prescribed FUCIBET cream.
Guess what this cream works.You will have to persevere for about 4 or 5 days but I kid you not my ears are now clear and itch free.
I got a feeling that  it will be an ongoing thing but I have relief at last
Good luck  John
Good news at last! My ears have stopped itching after 5 years of the maddening cycle of itching, scratching, and weeping (weeping in both senses of the word lol). In my last post I mentioned I had a mid-June appointment with an ENT. Well, at first he simply told me I had excessive wax and he cleaned the ears out with his little vacuum pump and told me to come back in two weeks. So I was not feeling too confident that his was going to be any more productive than visiting my own GP.

Anyway I went back in two weeks and told him the itching was as bad as ever. This time he prescribed Ectosone cream. I had mentioned DermOtic oil and he explained that both DermOtic oil and Ectosone cream belong to a category of treatments called cortisteroids, but that he preferred the cream in my case for the following reasons; 1) he has had success with it before, 2) cream adheres to the skin better than oil and you can appy to the second ear without losing any from the first ear as you might with oil, and 3) oil is best for excesively dry ears whereas in my case I had "weeping", or moist ears due to constant rubbing and scratching.  

I had to apply a little cream to each ear twice a day using a Q-tip. I am delighted to report that after 4 days the itching had gone from both ears. Instead of ending the treatments abrubtly I took Gwynhwyfyr"s advice and weaned my ears off the cream by tapering the treatments gradually down to once a day then once every two days. In less than 2 weeks in total I had stopped applying the cream and for the first time in years I had normal dry and non-itchy ears! Incredible, because I thought I was doomed to suffer with this for the rest of my life.

I pray that this experience will give hope, and possibly the same relief to all of you. Incidentally Ectosone is a brand name used here in Canada and might well be called something else where you live. The proper pharmaceutical name is Betamethasone Valerate 0.1%.  Good luck.
Finally some people who understand the torment!  I think my family just thinks I'm crazy and are tired of hearing me complaining about my ears itching, oozing, and clogging - for about 15 years now!!!!  One doctor said it was Q-tipitis and did nothing, the other doctors always remove the wax and that's it...I'm wondering if any of you have a dog - it feels like a chronic allergic reaction - ever since I moved out of the city, and also since I've had a dog --- anyone else with itchy ears have a dog? It's driving me insane - and even when I stopped using q-tips, which was torture, they still itched and oozed....I once got so desperate I stuck a garlic clove in my left ear and left it there!  Maybe because it was cold, I don't know, but it actually seemed to help temporarily!!!  Hey, I was desperate enough to try!!!!
I find it weird that most of us have this problem in our left ear.  Mine started in 2004. I am thinking we have yeast infections, I may try dermotic oil or Fucibet but just wondering has anyone tried the over the counter creams for a female yeast infections?  Also for you ladies do you find that you have a consistant but managable itch that becomes inflammed and swollen right at the time of your menstration?
I just checked on the web and found that Ectosone (which cured my itching ears) and Fubicet, (which worked for 27kelle) are one and the same thing, namely Betamethasone Valerate. They are just different brand names.
I had recurrent ear infections like a 3-year-old. My doctors kept prescribing antibiotic drops, and the infection would go away--but the itching NEVER DID. After scratching and scratching, the infection would come back and the doctor would prescribe more ear drops and tell me to stop scratching (yeah--right--easier said than done). Finally, I asked my witchdoctor (my sister who knows a lot about natural medicine) and she told me that it sounded like the antibiotics were messing with the good flora in my ears--perhaps causing a recurrent fungus to make my ears itch. She prescribed taking acidophilus every day to restore the good flora in my system, and swabbing my ears after I showered with a tincture of tea tree oil, an anti-fungal. I have not had one ear infection since--but my ears are still a LITTLE itchy....
WOW! Thanks so much fellow ear sufferers!!! Mine too, have a cycle of itching, fluid draining, w/ crusty residue in the morning. I personally hate the noise that comes from the fluid suction when I sleep on the clogged ear. The "smaking-pop" is so loud, it wakes me up. UGH!
I promise I will update 'yall with the results after using the DermOtic.
    At this time I'm suffering from a secondary infection because of my ear scratching. (I "ring" my ears by pressing my palm over the whole ear an press and giggle hard!) It feels great for a scond or two and then aches after that. (sigh)
   I have hope for the fisrt time after reading these posts!!
Again, thanks everyone for taking the time to write.
I'll report back later. My apt. w/ the ENT is in 2 weeks.
Blessings to you all.
I haven't read the entire thread, but I've had this same problem for about four years now... it's not completely gone, but I after the doctor gave me antibiotic drops my condition got worse.  Upon closer inspection, it turned out that I had a fungal infection!  If anti dandruff shampoo gave you some relief, that might be the issue you're having...
I have been suffering with this very same problem for over 3 years.  Saw my MD, referred me to an ENT. I was also experiencing Vertigo.  Of course more money is to be made on testing for Vertigo, after the complete round of testing, I didn't know any more then when we started.  Still had itchey ears and vertigo.  I wanted to verify with the ENT that is was OK to put hydrocortisone cream inside my ears, he told me to be careful, it could cause me to gain weight!?!?!  OK, at that point I knew I was on my own.   I have tried almost all the remedies described here with only temporary relief.  Today I called my dr. and have asked for Dermotic Oil to try.  I do want to mention.  I have 2 dogs, one which is being treated for a yeast infection in her ears. She digs and groans at her ears.  They actually smell the same as mine at times, I did try Monistat.  Again, only temporary relief.  Not sure if it was a good idea, but as most of you know, when your desperate, you'll try anything to relieve the itch.  Another thought, it's creepy, but I read it somewhere....   escpecially at night, which sounds like when most of us experience the worst itch,  dust mites are likely to eat away at the dry crusty discharge/skin.  UGH!  The thought is horrible and creepy, but.... doesn't it make sense?  Anyway, I hope the Dermotic oil works, I'm exhausted from these itchey ears!  
I have had itchy, flaking, draining ears ever since swimming in a pool down at DisneyLand 25 years ago.  I would use the prescription antibiotics drops, which would relieve the problem for a little while, but then the whole thing would start over again.  Recently I have used two new product that seem to be the answer.  Don't laugh but there is a non-prescription otic solution used on dogs with the same types of symptons called ZYMOX with hydrocortisone (Amazon.com). The hydrocortisone relieves the itching and other ingredients (including enzymes) help to kill the bacteria and yeast infections.  The other thing I use in combination is Eucerin AQUAPHOR Healing Ointment (Walmart).  This is a petrolatum skin protectant which helps with the flaking and heals the skin.  I have been using both for the past month and everything has cleared up!!!   Yeah....   Both items together cost about $20.  It's the best $$ I've ever spent.......
ive been lurking on this site for a few months now.  ive had a pretty serious ear infection for over a year now.  i had the never ending itchy cycle.. infection, itch, scratch, reinfect etc etc.  i would have so much fluid in my ear that id go deaf for days at a time.  i tried anti-biotics but it didnt work.  i tried vinegar.. didnt work, rubbing alcohal (alcohol).. didnt work, hydrogen peroxide.. didnt work, neosporin.. didint work, i even used tough actin tinactin.. didnt work.  needless to say i was so desperate i pretty much tried everything possible.  finally after i read the last post on this thread i realized that my gfs dog had an ear infection a few weeks ago and there was still some medicine left over.  i asked her for the remaining medicine and i applied it to my ear and after 2 days of treatment my ears are feeling better than they have in over a year.  the itching is gone and the pain is gone.. the flaking is gone.. i can hear again!

the medicine is called tri-otic.  i also ordered zymox from amazon just incase.  its amazing.. after a year of trying everything known to man.. even going to the doctor.. antibiotics etc etc... the thing that cured my ears was a ear infection medicine for my girlfriends 7 yr old chihuahua.  im not sure what the side effects may be but at this point i really dont care... i can sleep at night without waking up in the middle of the night with my finger down my ear scratching like theres no tomorrow.

if u guys become as desperate as i was, i think you should try tri-otic or zymox.  seems like what human doctors couldnt fix the vets had the answer for. who wouldve thought eh?

anyways.. the last year has been a nightmare cuz of my ears... im so happy now to have found a cure i really wanted to share it with everyone.  also i want to thank the poster above or else i wouldve never thought to have tried dog medicine for my ear.

goodluck everyone!
I too have suffered from itching ears and am a q-tip junkie!
Some of the things that have helped me are drinking "Activia" (from the grocery store by the yogurt)  Swabbing with "Listerine"  (careful it burns)
Using "tea tree oil"  (Melaluca)  Cutting back on sugar also helps.
As for dust mites... throw the old pillow away!  Get a new one and once a week throw it in the dryer for about 45 minutes!  Replace it every so often! I also have tried "ear candling".  This really helped the longest legnth of time.   Thanks everybody for sharing!!!  
I have never had an ear infection or itchy ears before a couple of weeks ago.  Never knew anything could be so painful.  Itchy ears apparently followed ear infection.  Was on antibiotics, which cleared infection, but itching started sometime during.  I wanted to stick a pencil in there most of the time.  Went to a Dr. was intially told nothing was wrong, then told a few minutes later, after explaining my desire to yank the ear off that I had eczema and a possible fungal infection.  Was given some cream which did not work.  Decided to take matters into my own hands.  Cleaned ear with hydrogen peroxide (couple of drops) to get rid of the steriod cream.  Then used oregano oil (4 to 6 drops mixed in 2 tablespoons of coconut oil).  Used q-tip to gently work into the area.  It has been 4 days since I started and the itching is almost gone.  Spent the day out yesterday (hot spring - lots of water in ear) and forgot to take the oil with me and did not have any desire to scratch.  No problems from water in ear either.
I thought i was the only person suffering with this problem.

I've tried many many formulas, been to the doctor, washed them, dried them, picked them, scratched them, fingered them, rubbed them etc etc the only thing left would be to cut them off.

Symptoms are: invisible rash, sharp flakes, sticky clear glue gunk, a thin layer of crust, a rased small smooth blister (picking at it sends a shockwave sensation down my jaw into my neck, if i pick it just right i get like a web like tingly feeling around my lips). Crazy i know.

If itched enough you get a scale effect down th ear canal.

Under the blister is a nodule (the size of a small grain of rice) When touched a dizzyness accures

This complaint is growing rapidly, but no explanation.

Is it a implant?  Mind Control?

Is it a new life form living in my ear?

Does it get turned on by suger? Related to diabetes?

No evidence to suggest loss of hearing?

Why is it connected to the fine nervous system of the face, jaw and neck.

Tend to find it in the Right ear, but can occur in both.

Vibrates under high frequencys.

Can bleed, but not for long.

Causes maybe ?????

Junk (fodder) Food
Genetically modified foods
Chem trails
Water supply
Flouride
Vaccinations
Radiation
Mind control Implant
Fungus
New Pandemic

Who knows?

It's called MORGELLONS DESEASE
Thank to the person who started this post and for all who contributed.  Both my Dr and Naturopath say that my ears look completely normal and healthy, but this has been gong on for over a year and It's maddening.  In desperation last night, I decided to consult the web.  I'm so glad to have found this post because I actually started to question whether or not this was all psychosomatic (as my dr has insisted) or if i was going a little nuts.  Now i know there are other people out there!  I am going to try one of the anti-fungal remedies listed here.  

if this is a yeast infection, then it makes sense that dandruff shampoo, vinegar and garlic provide some relief as they are anti-fungals (but perhaps not strong enough to cure).  I will try the fubicet or the oil drops.  Texasgwirl, maybe the vaginal creams might work (don't take my word on this).  I remember as a teen, my aunt, who was an ENT, was at our house and she saw my father's athlete's foot cream (some are the same family o anti-fungals as used in yeast infection creams) - she looked at the ingredients and said that this was exactly what she used to cure some of her patient's ear infection (I was a teen and not paying much attention to what kind of infection she was talking about). Please use caution and don't use random creams but find out which ones are actually in the same family first - and treat thoroughly the first time round. B/C you don't want to self- medicate and then create resistant strains of fungas/yeast.

Anyone who experiences slight jaw stiffness/ache from this?  A recent symptom for me and I wonder if the two are connected.

I am going to ask my GP for some oil or cream - I don't care- just please make this stop...
Thank you everyone for your post and good luck!

yea ive tried the antifungals for my ear and it didnt work.  yea i do think the jaw stiffness and ache is from the ear infection.  while my ears were infected i got jaw aches, jaw popping/clicking and a few times jaw locking.

my completely cured now thanks to tri-otic
Hi Jdub34,
Thank you for your reply.
Okay so tri-otic it is - whatever will work.
Me too: recently jaw ache, clicking and locking - so strange.

Man, I hope this remedy works for me! Oddly, I also think this is the same type of infection my dog had - the weeping and crazy itchy ears with dark earwax - it smells the same as his did.    
Unlike many of the sufferers I have read about in this thread, I have only suffered for months with this condition.  The itching started within a day after staying in a motel on a business trip in March 2008.  I was splitting the cost of a room with a friend who snored.  The bedding had a faint smell of body odor and one of the pillows reeked with a strong repulsive body smell so I threw it on the floor.  I used some foam type earplugs and one came out sometime after I fell asleep.  Sleepy me searched around and found the earplug in the bedding and re-inserted it in my left ear.  The next day at the meeting, my left ear started itching and it began to ache painfully later in the evening.  I suffered with the ear ache and it started to weep clear, sticky, foul smelling fluid within a few days.  I went to see my GP who told me it was just swimmers ear, prescribed some Betamethasone Valerate 0.1% cream and told me to swab my ear canal with it twice a day.  I had some relief but it would recur within a few days after stopping the treatment and I lived with that for two months.  The pain had gotten so terrible and I was no longer able to get a Qtip swab in both my infected ears.  I searched the web for an answer and found another suffer who described my condition exactly:

"Both ears present with itch inside and outside. Ear canal fills with fluid (leaves smelly discharge on pillows each night). The fluid is light yellow and sticky to touch,leaving a solid film on fingers afterwards. Forced to wipe fluid away from ears with tissue and have begun to wash them regularly. This dries the fluid, but where the fluid has been, crusty scab formations appear all over the ear and surrouding area. These crusts then itch. If removed, they produce fluid. Ears literally drip with fluid. It is painful on contact to air and very very ugly to look at.

Crusts and scabs are all over ear lobe and around ear lobe, all over middle and lower inner cavities of outer ears and fluid seems to come from the main channel.

This has been getting progressivley worse for the last five years. Doctors have treated it with oral steroids. It removes the problem but immediatly recurrs after a week or so. Topical cream and drops also help, but again, must be applied daily or it recurs.

Sleep well, but wake up with running ears. - Staining on pillows every night."

I went back to my GP and asked him to take a swab culture of my ear and two days later it came back positive for Staphylococcus Aureus.  The lab also reported that it was resistant to several antibiotics so the GP gave me a stat prescription for Ciprofloxacin .03% and dexamethasone .01% combined in an ear drop solution.  He had me place the drops in my ears twice a day for 10 days.  It is now 12 days after completing the treatment and my ears are cleared up.  No more weeping clear sticky liquid, crusty ears in the morning or inflamed ear canals with chronic ear aches.  I still feel a very slight itch but it could be that I am remembering how terrible it felt.  I would encourage ALL of you to go see either your GP or an ENT to have your ears swabbed and a culture taken to be certain you don't have an infectious bacteria growing in there.  If it helps at all, print this out and hand it to them.  My GP was absolutely certain all I had was water in my ears from showering (8 hours after showering) until he got the lab results back from the ear swab.  I sincerely hope this helps everyone.  I share your pain and know how frustrating this condition is.  I will post again if my symptoms recur.
I am a teenager and going to school is so embarising because i am always worring about people seeing my ear ( OMG my ear is itching so bad now AHHHHHHH) but my mom has just noticed me constantly itching my ear, i will itch so much that ***** fluid forms then dries into a crust, i will try to peel it of but in return comes more puss and blood i try to dry up thefluide with a tissue but it does not work and i am so embarassed and aggrivated and i will try to stop itching but it feels so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am confussed with this site and i cant see if there is a "cure" or way to stop the embarassment

PLEASE HELP ME
I use Tea Tree oil externally on my ears which helps their severe itching. The other thing that helps externally and I also use internally is Hydrogen Peroxide.

I would recommend wearing ear plugs in the shower and when swimming.

Also the Mineral oil is a great idea along with swimmers ear remedies.
I suffered with this for over 10 years. Doctors would tell me it was just me digging in my ears with q-tips.
I bought some of the zymox, I put it in with a q-tip, to worried to drip it directly into my ears.
And now, itch is gone, ears are dry, Who knew..dog medecine!
After years of getting expensive prescriptions for drops and creams, a bottle of dog med. at 10.00 fixed the problem.
Thank you for posting your comment.   I printed it out and I'm bringing it to my GP today!
I can't believe so many people have this problem but most of the doctors don't know what to do about it.  I have had the problem for over 5 years.   I believe mine started when I accidently used someone elses earphones on an airplane.  I have been to MANY doctors and after creams, eardrops, steroids.....that caused a really gross black and grey hairy looking clot thing that sounded like it was ripping out tiny hairs in my ear when removed, ( I was sooooo embarassed and I just wanted to die because that just could NOT have come out of MY ear!)    that I'm glad you have another solution to try.     He said it was from the medicine (steroids) I was putting in my ears.  Catch 22.  I'll post again to let people know how it is working.     Thank You again EMT3.
Everyone,
Ok, so, it's probably fungus/yeast/Candida in most cases.  The reason why no one is having any luck with Doctors is that the mainstream medical community does not recognise yeast as being a problem.  It is in fact a huge harm to the immune system and its overgrowth manifests in many ways (gas, itchy skin, ears, allergies, congestion, etc.).  There are tons of websites on yeast that you can read more about it and what to do about it.  The reason I know about it is that I went to a naturalpathic doctor and I got tested and I have a yeast overgrowth.  Itchy ears is one of my symptoms, but the least serious.  Anyways, I'm on a Candida diet (in a nutshell, no sugar, low carb) and taking tons of supplements and natural anti-fungals (oil of oregano, garlic, coconut oil).  It is working, but it's a slow process.  Anyways, I urge everyone on here to read more about Candida and what to do about it and/or go to an alternative doctor.  also, notice if your ears itch more when you eat sugar or high-carb foods.  That could be because that stuff is feeding the yeast.
I have a question though.  My ears itch slightly every time I take a first bite or two of food.  Does that happen to anyone else?
I have discovered (after a ton of research) a home solution for my itchy ears which is astounding me. It has now been a couple of weeks since I started this and I seem to be on the road to relief.  If this helps even just one person here that is suffering like I was then I am glad to have helped.  
Get a small dispenser bottle that has a wide mouth, with a lid, and with which you will be able to dip a q-tip into.  Mix the following: 2 tablespoons of white vinegar, 2 tablespoons of Isopropyl alcohol or Rubbing Alcohol and a 1/4 tsp of Xylitol. You can get this at a Health Food store.  "Google" it....
Xylitol has been used for years in toothpaste for it's bacteria fighting properties and can be used as a saline cleanse to reduce bacteria..(see Xylitol on Wikipedia)
Shake this solution up and dip your q-tip into it and swap the inside of the infected ear...sorry, it will be cold!.. if the ear is too sensitive or in pain use a small dropper and place a few drops down the canal.  Let it sit for a minute or two and then tilt the head back over to drain.  I had to do this in both ears, as they were both having the same problem.  I did this in the am and pm, but after about 2 days I found I only had to do it at bedtime.  I suffered for 15 years and tried everything.  When I find the solution to my tinnitus I will post again.  Regards to you all.  
I ordered ZYMOX with hydrocortisone on Amazon, as I am again in a bout of endlessly itchy ears, per a prior poster's suggestion.

I must say that immediately after putting the drops in my ear I had an unexplained urge to have my ears and bellly rubbed.  I slept well but in the morning my husband said I whimpered all night like a dog dreaming.  Today at work, without even thinking about it, I sat on the floor and began scratching my head with my foot. (My husband is going to love this new found flexibility). My ears feel great though, and as far as I am concerned, I'll take these side effects any day over crusty itchy runny ears.

Seriously, so far so good with this otc dog ear medicine. It is extremely soothing and my ears are clearing up nicely.  The morning crust is all but gone in comparison to what it has been and this is my fourth day of using the drops, 1x per day, at bedtime.

This may sound extreme, but I am so tired of Dr's just tossing a bottle of $50 ear medicine at me and saying it will go away.  
I have always used peroxide on a q-tip, gently dab in ear, burns and bubbles for awhile, when the fizzing in the ears stop,  I take a clean q-tip and dry my ear, 2x's the first day and the symptoms are usually gone.  I think this is like eczema or something like that. It could also be the sinuses draining into the eustacian tubes of the ears, causing infections.  Hope this helps.
i can't believe this.....i was sure i was the only one. i've been puttin up with this for 25 yrs. one dr. told me nothing wrong, take some antihistamine....while this was effective, as soon as i stopped the itch came rite back. i don't feel like living on benedryl.  another dr. told me it was from smoking (i knew rite away she was blowing me off), but i did stop smoking, and guess what....no better. i am about to resaearch the zymox, dermotic and tri-otic. thaks for the info everyione
Does anyone know if baby oil will work like Dermoctic oil?

Also I was wondering if this type of problem could be caused by medications, I take blood pressure pills and now I have the wet/itch ear thing.
I too have suffered with this problem for years.  I got no help from doctors, I don't know why they don't seem to have a handle on what causes this.  Like many of you I always suspected it was some kind of yeast or fungal infection.  I was reading about the ingredients in Listerine - thymol, eucalyptol, methyl salicylate and menthol in an alcohol base may have antifungal activity.  Figured what the heck.  I dipped a q tip into some and applied it in my ear canals.  It burned a little but nothing bad.  In an hour or so my ears weredry and no longer itching.  This effect lasted a few days and then  the itching restarted.  I tried it again and the itch/wet is gone.  I'm going to use it a few days in a row to see if maybe it needs that to keep the itch/wet away.

Just wanted to share and help out fellow sufferers.
Wow - I think I came across this thread back in March of 2008 when I was attempting to overcome this very same issue.

Same as described here, and more. I have had this problem for about 8 years now. I believe it began when I was pregnant with my first son. He's now 7.

For years I have been working on the PC at night, and having the most awful itching, flaking, scabbing - I actually have scars in my ears where small portions of skin have simply been scratched off!

I have been to ENT, GP, Holistic DR. and yep - even to the emergency room. I've tried different (painful) drops, creams, hydrocortisone, hydrogen peroxide (I couldn't take that, it not only hurts, it just made my ears worse, especially on the inside of the ear canal) q-tips, mineral oil, garlic mullien drops, even oven baked ONION compresses, been there done it all.

I NOT tried a couple things mentioned here, like the doggy drops, or the other oil, but all of that has some nasty chemicals in it if you want to get right down to it. The last cream I got from the ENT specialist (after a trip to the emergency room) is called:
Nystatin-Triamcinolone ointment which I got on 4/10/2008.

Now that was the closest I have come to getting rid of the itch for a while, but it comes back - and the flaky, scabby stuff, weepy, skin crawling ITCH comes back too. Apparently I can not continually use this stuff due to the chemicals in it - but I probably would have been happy to stay on that for the rest of my life. Can't do that, so now...

How about looking for the INTERNAL CAUSE of this (like others have mentioned) instead of just treating the itchy ear symptoms. There is a reason our ears itch like they do, and it's not because of "swimmers ear" - I've been diagnosed with that at least three times.

One GP said he thought I could have "skin lupus" and I could "get a good discount" if I went to go get tested for it that same day. NOT! I didn't believe that for a minute. (Well, ok maybe I did, because I did look into in on the internet, then my brain went "you do NOT have SKIN LUPUS"). I trust doctors about as much as I trust politician's and let me tell you, that ain't much.

The ENT says I have eczema in my ears. ONLY in my EARS? I find that one hard to swallow too, because why wouldn't I have any other issues anywhere OTHER than my ears if I had eczema. Doesn't make sense.

I have also looked into yeast, and candida, because my lifestyle, food preferences, etc - pointed in that direction. I love beer, use too much sugar, carbs, wheat breads, yadda, so I tried to cleanse myself of yeast when I probably should have NOT done it at that time. My body went into a total healing crisis, which ended up - uhg... I'll just have to build a blog and show the pics, and explain the whole thing that way. BOTH ears were totally swelled shut, and I had a lot of other problems at the time. Trying to get rid of yeast was probably the stupidest move, because it was the WRONG time.

I was already infected when I tried to detox yeast, so my body could NOT keep up with dispelling the toxins, and I had to go to emergency, not only for the pain, but it took 2 rounds of antibiotics to get back to some semblance of normalcy.

Did the itchy ears go away? Nope - only with that cream that I'm not really able to take for longer than a certain amount of time because of the chemicals apparently.

So. It's been about 9 months since my last very serious flare-up, and I have found something else to try. This is treating from the inside out, not just treating the symptoms. I saw another person here mention that they take hydrogen peroxide internally, (food grade - diluted I'm assuming) because I did look into that. It's a good deal of chemistry and reading, but I purchased an ebook for 40 bucks that talked about this method of cleaning your body of toxins.

I asked for my 40 bucks back, because there was no real "proof" in this book that hydrogen peroxide did all they claimed it did. No names of people, no paperwork, no nothing to check up on. I didn't care for that, so I scratched that idea.

THEN, I found something else that interested me a LOT more, had the proof, had the documentation, had people's names and the info can be checked.

The product I'm trying now, is called Miracle Mineral Supplement, created by Jim V. Humble. Google the names, or go to youtube for some interesting videos. Better yet, here's a link to the first part of the ebook, which is free.
http://www.miraclemineral.org/part1.php
Read into it, it's very good.

Anyhow, I'm on let's see - moving into my fourth day on MMS (Miracle Mineral Supplement). I started with 1 drop - mixed the way it is explained in part TWO of the ebook on Thursday night. Friday (yesterday) I took 2 drops in the morning, and 2 drops at night. Today (Saturday) I took 3 drops this morning, and 3 tonight.

Throughout all of this, I have been typing my experience into a small notepad document on my desktop. I wanted to record what happens as I take this stuff, to see if it DOES in fact work, see how I'm feeling each day, and to have a record of what happened when I started taking MMS.

I STARTED taking MMS - simply to see if it could get rid of all the heavy metals, pathogens, viruses, and bacteria in my body. I'm pretty sure that I probably have some parasites in my system too, due to being an animal lover all my life, being around way too many animals (dogs, cats, horses, birds) and ALSO because I'm very fond of walking barefoot. You wouldn't believe what you can pick up through your feet, and from animals.

Not to mention what another poster here said:
Junk (fodder) Food
Genetically modified foods
Chem trails
Water supply
Flouride
Vaccinations
Radiation
Pulmonary aspergilloma (mycetoma)

Don't think it "ain't happenin' here" because it IS. It's no wonder society as a whole in the US are the most overweight in the world. It's designed that way. Let the good people of Africa deal with starvation, Aids, Malaria and kill the poorer fools in the US with all the genetically modified crops, etc. Ever hear of "population control"?

Does it make any sense that we have like NO nutritional value in our foods over here, even down to genetically modified SEEDS, so that even what you grow is tampered with - yet we are an overweight country? Think about it. Starvation of NUTRIENTS. Overdoses of TOXINS.

And we wonder why our ears itch? Maybe because the immune system is so taxed, that nothing you can do on treating the symptoms is ever going to work for the rest of your life. I don't think it's one of those things where ANY kind of cream that stops the itch for at least a few weeks, will really work. Because the INSIDE of the body is not being treated, only the symptoms on the OUTSIDE.

So, with all that said :::rant over::: this is a maddening problem that I'm out to get rid of in a massive way. I'm sick of the ****. Plain and simple.

I'm going into day 4 now, and by reading back everything in my notepad doc that is way too long to post here - I believe it's doing SOMETHING right now. And I THINK, it just may work.

Hey, if it cures my dang itchy ears, and gets rid of a few other issues - that's good enough for me. Can it cure Malaria? Seems so. Can it cure Cancer and other diseases? Not sure, because as far as I know, I don't have that problem. Thank God for that.

As soon as I get a blog up, I'll give you the link here to see what happens in the coming months, complete with pictures of the worst itchy ears you've probably ever seen in your LIFE!
Thanks to roxjoycas, I tried Zymox from Amazon, and it worked within a week.

Can't thank her enough for bringing this OTC cure to the forum, and ending my months of misery.
That zymox is amazing. I have been able to control my barking and as an added bonus, the drops block out the noise of my hubby snoring.  :O)
I'm soooooooo glad that I'm not the only one with the itchy, crusty, wet and, when I lie on  one side, complete cloggage (is cloggage a word?).  I'd literally have to pull at my lower earlobe to unclog my ear, even if only for a moment (until the next time I'd lie on that side or even tilt my head to that side).  It has only affected my left ear thus far.  But I have another symptom.  At times, my wife says my ear canal is completely closed!

As a child, I had numerous ear infections, but none in the last 30 years or so.  And I haven't been swimming for 3 years.

Anyway, now that the ear problem seems to have settled down a bit, I've developed other "problems."  I've had 2 styes in my right eye, boils (zits) behind my ear (the same ear that was bothering me), and sore, scaly bumps on my head that cause excruciating pain when touched, or when the water from the shower hits them (I've had to start using a cup to wash and rinse my hair, the water from the showerhead just hurts too much).

The styes have almost healed, the boils have all but disappeared but the bumps on my head still exist.  And (knock on wood), my crusty, wet, itchy, clogged ear seems to be better (although it still itches at times).  
OMG, I've had this problem forever!  My mom has it too, and she told me to just put cortisone cream in my ears.  Unfortunately, it doesn't last long and they just start itching again within a few hours.

My ears itch so bad that sometimes I will wake up from my sleep.  They are usually wet inside and every morning I have to "clean" and scratch them with a q-tip to calm them.  They always have a bit of clear fluid in them too.  

My doctor just says "they look a little dry."  Well, I just ordered some Zymox, and I'm praying that it will work because it seems that they have gotten worse over the past year or so.  They drive me nuts, especially when I am at work.  I'm a nurse, so it looks really tacky if I'm constantly digging in my ears to relieve this!  I looked at the active ingredients in Zymox, and they all sound safe (not to mention the main ingredient is 1% hydrocortisione!)
People do not realize how intense this itch is. It truly is enough to literally drive you crazy.  The zymox does really soothe my issue.  I will admit that my favorite thing to do when no one was looking was dig at my ear with the round end of a bobby pin. It is almost like a "dog rake" that you thin dog hair with. (Just a tiny version) that really can get out loads of crud

BillyG, funny that you mention the scabs on your head. i have them too. They can drive me nuts also. I am trying very hard to not dig at my head too.   Sometimes I just wonder if this is all some type of psychological response to an emotional thing.

Excuse me now, I feel the need to go outside and howl at the moon (damn that Zymox) :O)
I too have itchy, flaking ears. I have asked my Dr. several times about it and he just says nothing seems to be wrong. He suggested hydocotizone cream, which does not help for long.
I am so aggravated with the flaking, its like dandriff ears, it's gross.
So, I will try some of these suggested 'cures'. I do have a small patch of ezema on my eyelid that flares up from time to time. I also have a small patch on my scalp that itches and flakes as well. I have a history of allergies to a lot of things and I know I am sensitive to a lot of things. I have also suspected a fungus or something like that as well.

I have a big dog who constantly shakes his head...funny, maybe we have the same thing. I have taken him to the vet and they say he does not have an ear infection but something is obviously bothering him as well.
Why do these Dr.s make us feel like we are crazy!

Thanks everyone!
I spent the past 17 years with constant itching. I went swimming in the ocean and got a double ear infection when i was 16 years old. I am 38 and have spent 17 years with wet, moldy, crusty, itchy ears.  It would often alternate between ears or both at one time.  I went to doctors only when they would become infected and of course they would say..."Don't use cotton swabs or anything bigger than your elbow in your ear."  I think it is how they said it that would tick me off..like i would intentionally inflict myself with this ****.  I would say..."If you would make them stop itching, then I would stop using a cotton swab".  
I know.  I have been there.   how could my ears be "too dry" when they are wet and smell like mold or yeast...i had a persistent case of swimmers ear, off and on, whenever my ears would become wet inside...the bacteria that cause it are just waiting for it to become wet and then they attack.
I went last week to an new ENT and he gave me ciprodex ear drops to kill the infection and then he gave me Dermotic oil...all I can say is THANK YOU.   I did not have enough ear wax and at first it seemed like all the other things i had tried. It still itched and i still scratched.  but instead of scratching or itching it all the time i would use the Dermotic oil and it would be better.  I have not used a cotton swab on my ears in about 7 days.  that is a record, considering i would have them positions throughout the house, just in case i needed to itch my ears.  I had them at work, in the car, upstairs, downstairs..everywhere.  now i don't need them.  it is so wonderful.  Please don't give up hope...there is relief.  
I only developed this problem a month ago.  It is very annoying.  I have tried Cortisone cream which hurt since I have cracked skin and it tends to dry the skin out.
I wash my hair every day so I carefully clean my ear to remove the crusted liquid.  To avoid infection of the cracked skin I use Hydrogen Peroxide (on a cue tip to clean the outer ear and the ear canal, being careful not to put the cue tip in too far, of course). This dries the ear.  Then I use generic Triple Antibiotic Plus ointment - the plus is a pain reliever.  This heals the cracked skin and acts as a moisturizer.  I apply this VERY thinly, just to lubricate the skin, and this does a great job!!!
The trick is to keep the area lubricated yet dry from the oozing.  I keep my fingers away from the ear and use tissue which absorbs the liquid.  Scratching with the fingers tends to spread problem.  You see, only my left ear is affected, nothing else.  My right ear is fine.  So, I have this problem but so far it is under control.
I commiserate with all of you. After 12 years dealing with the itch a EMT gave me Mometasone Furoate Ointment. A little in each ear once or twice a month works. No more itch,flakes,irritation,burning,draining or swearing. At one time I was putting anything in my ears that would fit to get relief. When someone suggested hanging rabbit feet on each ear I went back to the ENT and finally got relief,Praise God!            Paul
Wow,

I wish I would have found this site earlier. I have suffered with the same thing for almost two years. Maybe we can send out this link to our doctor's to get updated on the issues and sucess stories listed.

Anyway, I cut and pasted all the suggested solutions and will get back to you on my Success Story!!!!

Pray something works...
After reading these entries I tried Eucerin Aquaphor Healing Ointment WORKS!!!  I bought it a local Walgreens and thinly applied to my ear after washing it thoroughly.  After applying it, the itching subsided and after 3 or 4 days my ear looked normal for the first time in a month!  
I have waiting for the delivery of my Zymox.  As long as I sparsely apply the Eucerin, my ear stays normal.  There is only very slight itching.  I am betting for the Zymox to take care of that.  
What a relief!  No leaking ears, no more itching, no more madness!  Thank you who submitted the cure for me!  I love this!  And only for $5.99 (Eucerin) and $9.95 (Zymox)!
I thought I was the only one - also went to Dr. and told me I had ear infection - the drops actually made it worse.

I have always made an overabundance of wax...like SimplyMe 2007 - I used a the end of bobby pin to get the crud out...Still make lots of wax, and I keep my ears very clean.  However, when they get crusty, bloody (from scratching), and gross, nothing seems to help.

You all have given me some stuff to try.  I will report back what I find.  I will try to go to the Dr. and get a culture, and see what happens.  Thanks for all of your ideas!!  
Allergies or a cold will cause drainage and put pressure on the eardrum. When pressure builds behind the eardrum it can cause that insane itch in your ear and sometimes throat.

Cleaning out your sinuses every day with saline WILL help. Also, some other ways to itch the itch without sticking anything in your ear...try sticking a clean finger in the other part of your ear and "wiggling" your ear up and down quickly. (Like shaking your finger up and down.)  And try holding your breath and forcing your ears to "pop". This helps keep fluid from building up behind the eardrum.

Use all three of these and you'll find the instant relief you crave!
Now it has been weeks since I started to heal my scaley, itchy, runny ears.  I finally got my Zymox.  While waiting for the Zymox I had been applying VERY thinly the Eucerin Aquaphor healing ointment, rubbing it into my ear.  First twice per day then only once per day.  The scaling healed.  No more itching.  After a couple weeks I am back to normal.  $5.99 was all it took...me.  What a complete relief.  
The Zymox, after I read the instructions - I decided to set it aside since the Eucerin did the trick!
My cure: 1) Keep the ear (s) very clean. 2) Apply Eucerin to affected ear area VERY THINLY! for two weeks. 3) No more need to scratch ears now.  4) Enjoy your newfound relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Good luck guys.  What a relief...
wow, I finally found a site that deals with the same problem I have dealt with for the past 15 years. Has anyone ever have it spread to other parts of the body?
I can't believe all those people suffer from this tooo!.... I suffered with this for years as my mother, her 3 brother and one sister,  my brother, and my sister suffer also..... I went to many many ENT's to tell me... swimmers ear..... Bull hockey!......it turned out to be escema of the ear canals.......I use some meds...... nuttin helped........ I moved to a diff region of the world and suffered more!!!......I took some allegra for awhile here and found a doc here to told me   use a solution of 1/4 alcohol, 1/4 peroxide and rest of sterile water after showering leave the q-tips OUT of your head and I swear...... 3 weeks after I stopped putting those q-tips in my ears.and using the solution he had suggested...... all that crusty weepy smelly stuff went away.... I have not suffered with this now for I know over 4 years and I had suffered with this for years...... what a relief it is...............best wishes to all those who suffer from this.......... K.
I suffer from exactly the same thing. A flaky spot on the opening of my ear. If I scratch it, it flakes off, and stings a bit. Then the sticky liquid weeps from the spot forming over time a crust when it dries. Then the maddening itchyness, then the inevitable scratch and the cycle continues.
For years and years I have suffered so much from this oddball problem!!
I'm going to try this DermOtic oil stuff. Oh man, I wish I had some right now. Google to the rescue!
Yay!

I have started to suffer all of these symptoms as well. I noticed in the monring the clear liquid from my ears smelled (just as your ears smell if you have them pierced) I've been to severl ent doctors and they all said I was fine...finally one of them told me it could be allergies and just use a nose spray. I've never suffered from allergies before but I was willing to try anything! He prescribed a nose spray and told me to use an over the counter spray (just or 3 days). I have now ran out of the prescription nose spray but use over the counter nose spray before I go to bed, make sure you look down and tilt the tip of the bottle to the right or left (depending which ear) It sounds crazy but it works! I'ts not %100 effective and you have to do it every night---keeping in mind you cannot use nose spray everyday because it's addictive to some people. I do it on and off for a couple days and it definitley helps. I recommend trying that if you cannot get anything else to work, I currently use Afrin. Give it a whirl!
Thank you so much. I was beginning to think I was going crazy. I have had the same issue with my ears ( severe itching, clear fluid, wet pools deep inside, crusty stuff that smells bad, swelling shut, feeling like your in a tunnel or on a plane) but I also have with this chronic drainage in my throat which causes me to cough phelgm constanly. This has been going on for 2 and a half years now. I have seen 2 regular doctors, and ENT, a Ear surgeon, been in the ER 4 times, was admitted to the hospital for 5 days. They even called in infectious disease doctors and still couldn't figure out what was causing this. I have been to a rheumatologist, endocrinologist and back to my regular doctor. They put me on tons of different medications and ear drops, nothing gets rid of this. It is maddening. I scratch until my ears bleed(not advising this) and I too use tools to get rid of the itch--qtips, bobby pins, fingernails(fake ones). I have used alcohol, vinegar, lavendar oil, aloe, pink salve, cortisone creame, witch hazel, prescribtion strength cortisone, skin-so-soft, baby oil, glycerin lotion. I'm going to try vit E and vaseline. If it had not been for this blog I would never have heard about DermOctic Oil. I am headed to the doc again tommorrow so I will ask for it. Again thanks for letting me know that I am not the only person out there with this. Doctors have a way of making you feel like you are making it up, make it put to be worse than it really is or are just insane. It's nice to know that I'm not.

Hear today, gone tommorrow!(cross your fingers, haha)
charper
Just wondering how everyone is doing.  I am now having extremely itchy scalp with dry ear skin. I can hear now but ..........oh well
spray some store peroxide in your ears. will open them up and clean any infections or obstructions. been using it for years to clean my ears. it works
Hi.  I still have my itchy wet ears.  I have used baking soda in water w/syringe as well as distilled vinegar...it gets better and then it just goes back to crusty itchy wet ears.

SO...I think it's really a yeast/fungal infection.  I am doing an anti- yeast protocol along with eating fermented food.  (for the whole body) We'll see....

:)
I'm so glad I've found this place, I'll be bookmarking it for sure.
I've been going nuts scratching at my ears with the exact symptoms a lot of you are mentioning:  crusty, itchy, gooey ears etc.

My problem started after an ear infection.  After it cleared up, the itching started had has never gone away.  One year later and several creams, nothing seems to help.

Like many of you say, it's especially bad at night - I even itch it in my sleep so I'm sure to wash my hands thoroughly before bed to prevent further nasties going in my ear as I know I can't help the scratching when I'm asleep.  

I'm going to ask about a few of the things folks here have mentioned.  I just want it to go away!

If I have any luck, I'll be sure to let you all know.
Have any of you been diagnosed with TMJ?  My doc tried to say that was my problem.  I have the same ear symptoms as all of you but my jaw has started aching.
I am so grateful to have been able to read everyones comments regarding the fight with nasty, wet, flaky, painful ears. I too have ben suffering for over two years, with it only slightly improving from time to time, but never really going away.
5 days ago, after reading this blog, I headed to my GP to ask for my fourth prescription. The first, (last year) was VIADERM K.C.  (Trimcinolone Acetonide / Neomycin) a cortison based cream,which only helped a little, but didn't cure the problem.
The second KETODERM CREAM 2% (Ketoconazole 2%) I tried a few months later, thinking it was a fungal infection, but again, it only helped temporarily, sort of just lubricating the ear canals to relieve some of the itching. My third prescription was for FUCIDEN CREAM  (Fusidic Acid Cream 2%) which is an antibacterial cream, because my doctor felt so bad when he examined the ears again, that he said this would give some relief. Well it did, but it didn't cure anything, and the cycle just continued.
FINALLY, I pressured him with my new found information to give me a different cortison cream prescription for ECTOSONE CREAM 1% (Betamethasone Valerate 0.1%) and it has completely cleared up with a couple of daily applications in just 5 days.  I am dancing for joy, and hope all you sufferers can get this cream.
I asked for Derm Octic oil, but being Canadian, my GP and the pharmacist had not heard of it and it wasn't in "their books" but Ectosone is what is on the label.
THIS STUFF WORKS!!!
when i was young i had tubes in my ears and only had one ear prob after that i was 25
i remember that i stopped using qtips that time and it got better and was not as bad as this. I had a cold just recently then i could feel it go to my ears When it first started it was just in one ear and went to both of them. I cleaned my ears out with qtips and pulled out black **** and yellow wax came out. Itch Itch Itch!!!!!!!They became plugged
(like your under water really bad pressure prob), feverish, a crackeling sound when i try to pop my ears or move my jaw, very itchy inside my ears and my throat and along the sides of my jaw get sore too. I had 2 types of antibiotics for my cold my cold got better and my ears got worst.Itch Itch Itch Now my gp wont give me any antibiotics for them now im just stuck with itchy sore ears If I itch really bad I usually am feverish, a flaky stuff forms after in my ears . It becomes sore and wet a clear fluid begins in my ear not very much but alittle i think its because the ear is trying to repair itself.I then leave my ears alone and the cycle repeats itself. 4 months With this ear prob i tryed all the home remidies, Hydrogen Peroxide, Alcohol, viniger, lemon juice,Olive oil Nothing worked.I went to a health food store i got all the goods! vitamins - c i took up to 5000mg  d and a multi, echinacea with gold seal, silver hydrosol to wash and kill bacterial in my ear Nothing worked. I found this one that helped with the pressusre when it was really bad it worked to releave the pressure between the middel and outter ear  had an app. with a ent and he told me i was fine haha!!! OK!!!!!!!! i tried to fight and tell him no theres something wrong!!!!!!!!! but he just gave me cortisone cream - cortoderm it soothes abit of the itchy but the itch comes back and i 4 weeks now with the cortoderm and still Itchy!!!!!
i just went to my gp today and showed him the cortisone cream - cortoderm and told him im still sore around my ears, itchy in my ears,sore throated,feverish,and along the sides of my jaw get sore, abit stuffy and get colds easier now I told him about ECTOSONE CREAM 1% (Betamethasone Valerate 0.1%)  and he gave me
CIPRODEX drops
(ciprofloxacin hydrochloride and dexamethasoneotic suspension)
0.3% ciprofloxacin 0.1%w/v
i just wanted to say i havent qtipped my ears in 6 weeks and only to apply the cortisone cream - cortoderm  
Will keep everyone posted

.  
One Dr said my brain wasn't leaking, one said it was from showering and the rest ignored me saying my ears are fine.  What I have done is if I scratch too much and they close I use a 1/4C of Peroxide in cup of water (more or less) and irrigate with a syringe while in the shower (it dries the wet and cleans the ear) but my son said his Dr said you don't want to do that too much cause it could damage the small inner hairs that protect your ears.  I use a dab of Cortizone on the end of a Qtip for anti itch.  I thought this was caused by weather.   It comes and goes and I sometimes have to sleep sitting up.  I am Diabetic now and wonder if that is what started it (food and so forth).  I also feel drainage in my throat (right side) and very back of nose...sinus??  Will keep reading.
Thought I had already posted this, but maybe not.  I had all the same symptoms as the rest of you and doctors were no help.  I kept thinking it must be some kind of fungal thing  and tried some listerine on a q-tip.  First time burned a bit for a couple of minutes (probably because I had been scratching) but the itching/wet went away and didn't come back for a few days,when it did, I did the listerine again and the itching and wet went away for months, came back a bit (very minor) last week probably due to swimming and I did listerine again and it was gone in a few hours.  Think this may be the cure we've been looking for!  Good luck
Hi all:  It's been a while but I am still dealing with the itchy wet ears.  

A couple of questions:

The Derm Otic Oil.  Is it a perscription?  Is it a US Item?  My MD didn't recognize the name of it.  What did the bottle say when you got it?  Were there different ingredients or names that I could suggest to  him?

Found the Zymox on Amazon and plan on getting that.  My next step with my MD is Cipro as mentioned by some others.  

I'm still not making ear wax and have pretty much constant itching.  Seems like I find one combination that works then I stop doing it and it comes back.  **sigh**

I'm glad some of you are finding relief!

Melanie
by GG1128, Jul 20, 2009 06:48PM
To: Fellow ear scratchers
THIS STUFF WORKS!!!

Hi all, After getting my first ever ear infection that I can remember (I'm 40) about a year ago, I have experienced swimmers ear ever since. Given that I live in Australia and it is our winter I have not been in the pool or swimming at the beach, yet have found the I ended up with this horrible wet, drive you mad itchy ear that would get this flaky substance build up. I went to the doctors and he to initially thought eczema and told my to use a moisturizer such as QV in my ear.
Needless to say this didn't work. It tried a few other creams with no success. I found this forum and took the suggestions to my GP to get his thoughts.
Anyway, I was prescribed ear drops called KENACOMB OTIC ear drops. The drops are as thick as motor oil or thin honey & the feeling can be quite unpleasant in your ear, but the relief well worth the discomfort.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcmed.nsf/pages/bqckenao/$File/bqckenao.pdf  

I have used this for a week and it has now been 4 days since I have put any drops in my ears. no itching as yet and I am hopeful that this may be my saving grace as I was at the stage of wanting my right ear surgically removed.
Hope this helps others in their search. Fingers crossed that this is a long term solution for me and others.

Brian
CIPRODEX drops
0.3% ciprofloxacin 0.1%w/v
This worked for me nomore itch in my ears they are just sore now on the outside im using a heat pad for the soreness i hope i dont have to use the heat pad for much longer
the drops i got are for Otitis externa
Did the Zymox actually dry up the ears, thereby stopping the itch? I have never had ear problems until a few months ago when this fluid and itching appeared. I gave myself an ear infection with my digging and rubbing. Abx cleared the infection but the wet itchiness remains. Not sure what to do next.
a friend of mine had this condition a few years ago i found out the other day when i complaned to him i had ear ache with flakey skin like dandruff falling out he saw a dr,to no avail and then a skin specialist and was told the gunk/fluid vas all the ointments going in (they have to go somewhere) i guess . he was told to dry ears with a hair dryer when wet after shower ect , i laughed and said pull the other one ,he said seriously it worrked for him he did it for a month+he saidyou look stupid but what would you rather have ????? its harder than it sounds belive me to sit there but he did it 2/3 years ago and it never came back so here goes
I will try to purchase DermOtic Oil Otic.. hope it doesn't have bad side effects.. & hope it also doesn't need to have prescription.. ;(
Further to my post above, the drops I have been using have worked wonderfully. I have on the rare occasion felt itchy in my ear and I don't know if is the itchy wet flaky ears coming back or not, but I know my paranoia makes me give my ears a light coating with the oil. I don't want this back.
Have a loom at the drops I have been using, they worked for me. You can read about them on this link
I found this site after suffering with on-again, off-again with a itchy, wet, and (to be frank) foul-smelling ear for over 4 years.  I saw two different physicians, an Ear/Nose/Throat specialist in NYC, and two dermatologists trying to fix the problem.  Nobody knew what it was.  I was prescribed DermOtic twice, which worked only while I was using it.  The problem being that I can't stand the smell of the stuff (it smells like very strong-smelling baby oil).  

Based on recommendations here, I ordered CalmEar from Miracell.  I don't know if this was just because I already had such a major problem or not, but it made things much worse for me.  I spent a week on a meditation retreat not being able to hear at all out of my left ear.

The day I got back, I went to my doctor for the third time.  I was so distraught that she sent me directly to the ENT in her practice, who I had never met before.  The ENT took one look in my ear and said, "Yep, I know exactly what this is."  She brought out a book and showed me what a major fungal infection looks like.  (Not pretty.)

She said the original cause is dry skin in the ear canal.  The dry skin causes an itch; the scratching introduces bacteria and fungal spores.  The rest is clear.

She cleaned my ear with water, then with alcohol. Then she painted the interior with Gentian Violet, an antifungal medicine most often used to cure thrush in the mouth.

Then she prescribed me "Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Hydrocortisone Otic Solution USP" by Bausch & Lomb.  It's a prescription medication that is different from DermOtic because the latter treats only fungal infections.  These drops are anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and also contain steroids.  They only treat the skin, and do not absorb into the bloodstream, so they are safe to use indefinitely.

I used them twice a day for 7 days.  At 7 days, the itch was completely gone.  I went back to the ENT for a followup a week later, and the itch was still gone.  However, she said I should use the drops once a week for, well, forever.  She said I will likely have this problem for the rest of my life, and will need to treat it as a chronic condition.  She put 12 refills on my prescription, if you can believe it.

While I don't love the idea of using medicine forever, I have found SUCH RELIEF from what I thought was an untreatable problem, that I am willing to do it.

I hope this is helpful.  Good luck to all of you!
Went back to the doctor again. Was told I had a fungal infection and given Nystatin powder to swab the ears. I mentioned the Dermotic oil and was told "Thats a steriod, that won't help a fungal infection." the powder was almost $70 and in the 2-3 days I've been using it they feel worse. I am supposed to give it 2 weeks.  If this doesn't work I am going to order the Zymox. I can;t spend any more money at the doctor's.
It’s 3:00am and I am up because my left ear started to weep and became horribly itchy again. After Googling, I am so thankful to find this web site and the many stories and suggestions to ail my sufferings. Gah, I am not alone!

My symptoms started in June of this year and have progressively gotten worse. It started as itchy ear canals (both ears) which I conveniently comforted myself with my new best friend, Q-tip. Having done minimal Internet research, I used recommendations of pure olive oil, and then trying rubbing alcohol. Both seemed to ease the immediate itch then a couple hours later, I found myself jamming another Q-tip down both ears.

In July, while visiting a doctor for bronchitis and a sinus infection, I told him about my ears which he gladly checked and announced that everything appeared to look fine. Okay...

I continued to swab the insides of my ears with warm water on a Q-tip and applied a little hydrocortisone on the outer to relieve the flakiness which was noticed by my boyfriend when I asked him to take a peek. Then about 2 weeks ago, I noticed dried, crusty stuff outside of my left ear when I woke. Also, the Q-tip from my left ear no longer came clean but had yellowish, sticky, smelly stuff on it (eww). Yesterday, my ear plugged up (as when you experience a change in altitude). I’m so very worried.

Now that I’ve read some suggestions here, I am hopeful and going to try some out. I will let you know how it goes.

Crossing my fingers, toes and eyes,
Arleen.
I was diagnosed with TMJ after being in a bad car accident over 20 years ago, however, I don't think it has anything to do with the symptons we share. Good question though.
PS. I forgot to mention that my left throat gland and jaw is also sore. I didn’t want to leave anything out.
I can't thank all the posters enough for this thread!  I have had the ear itching for over a year now and it has now escalated to me getting on here and trying to find an answer after my doctor telling me twice nothing was wrong.  Today it has been so severe I have scratched enough to swell in the canal and affect my hearing.  The itch is so sudden and intense I get the chills from it!  Then the more I itch, the more intense it becomes, then it gets wet and then dries with a light crusty film.  
I am going to try the oils that have been recommened on here and I am also going to do the Candida Cleanse as I am very familiar with how the Candida yeast can build in your body and give you many symtoms (symptoms) like:  itching, bloating, skin blemishes, fatigue, and bowel inflammation.  If anyone has these symtoms (symptoms), research Candida as well.  For the first time in my 34 years I have severe dandruff and horrible itchy skin and acne.  I have a feeling this is all related.  Time to buckle down and start getting a little healthier!
So glad to hear from everyone on here!!  My husband thinks I'm crazy!  I literally jump in bed to scratch my ears!  
Bactine works great, cleans the canal and has anti-bacterial and anti itch/sting ingredients.
I had this problem for decades and cured it solely by accident. I decided I did not want to be bothered taking so many supplement pills, so I solved the minerals question by adding one tablespoon of liquid trace minerals to each gallon of drinking water. After some months I noticed that the calluses on feet disappeared. Several months after that I noticed that my outer ears were losing their itchy drippy crud. Eventually the skin of my outer ears became normal and I developed normal wax. I take those minerals faithfully and have no trouble whatsoever with my ears. Give it a try. If nothing else, you will be healthier.
I am 30 years old and for as long as i can remember i have had a q-tip jammed in my ear trying to find relieve from the horrible itch and also to dry the "water" that has always drained from my ears...my right ear being the one that gives me the more problems. Then the crust started to form...i though i had dandruff inside my ears...

Ive suffered from severes allergies all my life and have had numerous ear throat infections, and the doctors will always tell me to stop using q-tips as to which i would reply...it itches so much i dont know what to do...and they would do nothing about it.

I have used everything from, steroids creams, i also bought that dogs eardrops, peroxide water, alcohol, facial moisturizer...dandruff remedies, almost everything in the quest for normal crustless ears that only have to be cleaned once in the morning and left alone all day.

the other day my ears were so sore, and raw from the scratching, it hurt so bad to even touch em...and as i about to reach for a bobby pin because i had ran out of q-tips i noticed a tube of triple antibiotic casually layin on top of my dresser...i thought....it cant kill me, or can it??? i guess i was about to find out bcuz i didnt think it twice...i  put some on, and OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my ears have gotten so much better...no more itch....no more crust...no more soreness..no more dandruff inside my ear... its like a miracle!!!!!!!! heaven on a tube!!!!!

I am so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i still have the "water" but it doesnt bother me as much because i dont have to scratch no more...so i gently dry it off with my best friend Mr.Q-tip (dare i say he is the longest relationship ive had in my life)...and voila! for the first time in many years i feel normal...its so weird that i actually reach to my ears out of habit and find myself wondering what i am doing?  they dont itch no more!!!!!!!

i put some on with a q-tip every two days and im good to go!

I hope that it does the same for you, triple antibiotic topic lotion....its cheap and u can find it in any drug store....i really hope it helps!!!!!!

good luck everybody!!!!!!!!!!
I've had this problem for about a year and half.  My observations:

1. getting water in my ear makes it much worse
2. 50/50 alchohol and vinegar helps to dry out the water after showers and helps to manage the problem.  also, when the watery discharge is bad it dries it out and makes it flake out.  the watery discharge is just very watery earwax.
3. i've tried antibiotics and strong topical steroids - no help
4. i was on prednizone a month ago for something unrelated, and it basically eliminated the itching (unfortunately its habit-forming so i had to stop after a few days) so that makes me think it's auto-immune
5. i took accutane for acne about 10 years ago - could that be related?

50/50 alchohol and vinegar is basically managing the problem, but i'm still on the lookout for a cure.  why can't we get doctors interested in this problem??!
I am in my early 40's and have had itchy ears as long as I can remember.  I also have had lots of allergies all my life.  Over the past several years, my ear issues have become worse.  My dermatologist gave me a prescription for DermOtic almost a year ago.  It definitely helped make the condition more bearable, but a few weeks after treatment, it would come back.  I have been just repeating the treatment every few weeks with using the drops for about a week.  I also found that drying my ears out with a q-tip after showering helped with the infections, and then applying the DermOtic with a clean q-tip was more efficient and just as effective as laying down to put drops in my ears.

A few weeks ago, however, black stuff started coming out of my right ear on the q-tip. Weird. Then I thought I felt very slight pain and wondered if I was getting an ear infection.  It went away after a day or so and stayed away for a couple of weeks, but came back in full force last night.  It woke me up in the middle of the night--really painful, and my ear canal is swollen shut.  

Went to my doctor this morning and she prescribed Cipro drops and oral Cipro.  (Tonight I'm wondering if I'm starting an allergic reaction to the Cipro as my nose and face got really flushed and tingly and slightly swollen, so will have to stop and call my doctor back tomorrow.) She also said I have a big black, hairy chunk of wax sitting on my eardrum, so along with the "swimmer's ear" infection, I have a middle ear infection as well.  Great.  

I'm wondering if the black hairy thing is the built up DermOtic oil?  I'm also thinking this must be some type of fungal infection.  Hoping the antibiotics will take care of at least part of the infection, but then I may have to try some anti fungals?  I will definitely ask about the Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates with the Hydrocortisone Otic Solution (cream!) that someone mentioned earlier when I call my doctor back tomorrow!  Also, I happened to remember that my oldest son had staph (impetigo) in his nose a couple weeks ago.  Perhaps it transferred to me and my ears?

My theory right now is that it is eczema in my ears (have had little patches all my life), and when it itches, I break open the skin by scratching which makes me more susceptible to infection.  Eczema is a nasty cycle of itching, breaking open, weeping, healing, and starting all over... my 8 year old son has battled eczema on his hands, feet, behind his ears, elbows, legs, etc. all his life.  I'm also guessing that those who suspect food allergy/candida yeast overgrowth could be right.  My very allergic son, because of his severe food allergies and eczema, has been treated twice for candida overgrowth.  Hmmmm. Could it be multiple types of infections?

Thanks to everyone who has posted!  I now have more questions to ask my doctors and hopefully will find a solution!
Just ran into a reference to this on the interwebs.  New eczema medicine called protopic - http://www.protopic.com/

I might consider this for my ears eventually.  They're not too bad right now, though.  My scratching mostly bothers my wife, not me :)
Well the last time I posted was August 30, 2008.  That's when I had been using the ZYMOX and AQUAPHOR for about a month.  Now it's November 29, 2009 and guess what.....  It is still WORKING!!!!!!!   I no longer have the severe symptons of crusty, itching, wet, weeping ears that use to drive me CRAZY!!  Once in a while I will start to feel a bit of itching coming on and just treat with these two OTC items for a day or two and then it's gone.   If you are suffering from this don't wait any longer.  It has worked for many on this website.  
i'm extremely glad i stumbled across all of this. this problem is relatively new for me. maybe only about a month or so, but it's been driving me crazy!

i have the same symptoms as everyone else. the itching drives me crazy, my ears leak clear-ish fluid, especially at night when i lie down and try to sleep, when i wake up not only my ears, but my pillow is crusty, it's a bit foul smelling and once in awhile when i can't stand the itching anymore i'll shove a fingernail in there and seem to pull out some white, sticky, chunky wax-like substance. at times my ears feel clogged, or if i'm lying on my right side i'll feel my left ear become clogged, so i'll roll over so the liquid will be able to drain.

i've already been to the doctor twice and he assured me that there was no infection and everything looked find other then the inside of my ear was a little irritated because i scratched them too much. he pretty much told me this was all from me cleaning my ears obsessively. he told me i had no wax build up and i had irritated my ears so badly that they were over-producing ear wax. as a child i never really had any major ear problems, maybe one or two ear infections my whole life, so i don't really know how all of this started.

my main concern (and question for everyone) is i'm supposed to be getting on an airplane in 5 days. i've never been on an airplane in my entire life. i know that the change in air pressure usually affects sinuses/ears and i was wondering if any of you have flown with this problem and if it's made it worse or been painful? i'm starting to have major anxiety about getting on this airplane with my ears being all itchy for fear of making this worse.

PLEASE HELP. :(

I am stunned yet relieved that I found this site.  I have been bothered by itchy, runny, plugged ears for a couple of years now.  The amount of skin that I peel out of my ears is disgusting.  Whenever I kneel down to pet any dogs, the dogs immediately stick their noses into my ears and sniff away.  My ears must smell horrible to them or they are sensing something funky.  Weird, eh?  I have been trying to manage this condition on my own, but perhaps it's time to see my physician.  I'm a professed Q-tip addict, but have been trying to go cold turkey the past few days.  The ringing and hearing deficit in my right ear has scared me straight.  I've found that if my right ear has been particularly itchy and I've aggressively q-tipped it, there seems to be some localized swelling which is taking longer to resolve.  This ear was really runny a few days ago just when it stopped being plugged, so I stupidly q-tipped the heck out of it (took 3 q-tips to sop up the drainage) and then it immediately plugged up again.  I'm rattling on here because it's so wonderful to find someone who understands how irritating and stressful this is.  I raise my q-tips to all of you and say "cheers".  I think there needs to be a 12 step program for q-tip addicts.  

All the best.

Deaf and Itchy in British Columbia
Has anyone heard of DEMODEX? A mite that feeds on the hair follicles of humans., it's usually harmless but can multiply too much (if your immune system is down for example, or for example if you're stressed, body doesn't fight well to keep the mites a low level). It can cause itchy scalp, hair that's greasy even after washing, sometimes demodex can cause rosacea (reddening face), It isn't that well understood by doctors, it's easy for them to dismiss as not a problem, cause most people have a few demodex mites on them, and no problem, so their assumption would be, demodex is always harmless. But when demodex multiplies out of control it's a real problem. In dogs, slightly different type of Demodex is what actually causes the Mange. And Dog's have an ear problem that is like what we're all describing. Itchy, odor, wet, and so on.
I've researched this a lot since suffering from itchy ears, eyes, and scalp. IVERMECTIN has been used to successfully treat demodex- it's a medicine that's also used for scabies. I might ask my doctor about it. I think demodex causes the itchy ears. I hope this info helps. .
It's bittersweet to be here. I'm happy to find others who have this same condition but on the otherhand I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I've had swimmers ear for about a year and only recently did it get worse. I'm not certain yet it wasn't from a client that had foot fungus and was passed to me (since I too have incredible itchy ears and probably did scrath my ear). Two days after working on this gentleman I had a sudden onset of a migraine followed by vomiting. This happened two days later as well and seems to be an indicator of an infection for me. (just a side note on unusual symptoms I get for instance, I go blind for about 20 seconds in both eyes before showing symptoms of pink eye in 24 hours) Anyway, two weeks later I pull out a fungus ball from my ear. Not only am I presenting inner ear pain in the left ear, leakage in both ears but now there is a foul oder. I head to the hospital in hopes of relieving the pain, however, the doctor only gave me the same antibiotics that my family doctor has given me which makes it worse. He did no testing and did not think any other symptoms were related. I asked him if it could be cholesteama and he laughed and said no. (Which is my understanding that this could only be seen with testing since it is a growth on the inner ear bone) I told him my doctor had already prescribed antibiotics but he didn't want to listen and said this would work. It only made it worse and now I'm stuck paying that $500 hospital bill. Which I wouldn't mind paying a $1000 if someone could help me! At this point, I am at my wits end. I do not have insurance and have looked on line for help. I have tried collodial silver, garlic, Lamisil with terbinafine, and I really don't remember what all I tried. I will say last Friday I did recieve Zymox that I ordered from a pet store on line. I went to walmart and got the Aquaphor too. It's only been 3 days and I feel such a relief! I have never had a history of ear infections and am not taking any medications for anything. I'm perfectly healthy and hope to solve this problem once and for all. My plan is to use this for 7 days. I hope this works and doesn't come back. If it does, I'm worried that there was a hole in the inner ear drum and the fungus is growing on the inside which no amount of putting drops in the ear would get to. Then I'll have to seek a ENT specialist. I did have an appointment but canceled when I found out I don't have insurance. Good luck to you all and I'll keep you posted.... I would like to say a quick thanks to all those who posted. It has helped me in more ways than one.
...I should mention that I use gloves while applying zymox. My doctor says that the hydrocortizone could thin the skin on the fingers. And I even applied zymox on q-tips to get the inner ear. I am using this product twice a day and applying very liberally. So if it doesn't work for me then I will wonder if it's not a growth on the inner ear drum.
Wow, I really thought I was crazy and all the docs I've seen haven't helped any by telling me that my ears "look fine".  My name is ------ and I am Qtip addict! Or anything else that would get the job done for that matter.  My most recent discovery was that a "personal massager" held on the outside of the ear alleviates the itching tremendously, although temporarily. I can tell you it is an almost orgasmic experience! I would be more than willing to give it up however for a cure. I'm tired of hiding qtips around the house and burying them in the garbage so my husband can't see that I've broken my "don't stick anything in my ear" fast. The 50/50 alcohol/vinegar mix works great if you don't have open sores from itching, then it's like childbirth all over!!!!  The itchy, oozy, smelly ears have got to go. I have been suffering with this for 15 years. I will definitely talk to my doc about all the suggestions and this time force action.  Thank all of you sooooooo much for your advice! SimplyMe2007, you are a God send for starting this.      
Finally the cure! Oil of Oregano P73 Physician's Strength. Amazing list of other uses as well! ($38)
http://www.doctorajadams.com/OilOfOregano.html?return_to_merchant.x=Return+to+Merchant&form_charset=UTF-8.

I had to go off Zymox ($15-24) after 5 days because I felt like I was hearing under water and I didn't want to damage my ear drum. I will say it was very helpful in relieving the itchyness and allowed me to get some rest at night!
I suffered with itchy, moist and scaly ears for many years until my pharmacist suggested I try Sweet Oil, I swab it on lightly with a q-tip once a day, and it works great.  

JimB
I am so glad to know i'm not going insane and that others are having the same problem... sorry to say that any of us have to suffer through this though.  I have this problem in BOTH of my ears and it drives me insane!  My left ear is much worse than my right though (as are most of yours as i'm finding out.)  I first got this problem in late March.  My ears itched like crazy, ached occasionally, swelled shut, leaked a clear wet liquid, Had flaky skin on the inside, and when I cleaned them out with Q-Tips it smelled like rotting flesh. When I went to my doctor she asked me if I had been in a pool or hot tub or anything of that sort and when I replied yes and said that I often relax in my hot tub, she immediate just said that it was a fungal infection (a.k.a. swimmer's ear) without even looking at it and she gave me some drops called Floxacin or something like that. She just wanted me out of her office, i'm assuming.  Well nothing got any better at all and in fact it got worse. I went back to her and she still told me that it was swimmer's ear and that if my problem persisted they would "pressure wash" the canal of my ear to get any "gunk" out of it to see if that would fix the problem.  She said that I also had ear wax build up majorly (even though I clean my ears daily.)  I decided to get a second opinion on my case and I saw an E.N.T. doctor.  He only listened to what my symptoms we're and then he told me that it was allergies and he gave me some nose spray!!  I told him he was crazy!!  Sure, your ears, nose, and throat are all connected but allergies are not going to cause all of this and some nose spray sure as heck won't fix it. And I was right... the nose spray didn't fix anything.  I had a follow-up appointment with him 2 weeks later and at this appointment he told me it was a fungal infection such as swimmer's ear and he prescribed me athlete's foot drops to put in my ear!  once again, I thought he was crazy.. but I obeyed the doctor's orders and used the drops.  But still, no luck and no success.  I kind of decided that this doctor was a quack so I stopped seeing him and I started going to yet another different doctor. This doctor did some pretty thorough examinations and found that I for sure wasn't having ear wax build up and that in fact my ears had stopped producing ear wax almost completely... this left my ears wide open for easy access to infections.  She did a culture of my ears and when we got the results back we we're all pretty startled and I was definitely angry with the first 2 doctors I went to.  The results came back positive for Staphylococcus Aureus... one of the many forms of Staphylococcus bacteria, but this is the one that causes the extremely dangerous Staph Infection.  If Staph doesn't get taken care of immediately it can turn into MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus.)  This is when the bacteria gains the abilty to resist almost all antibiotics such as penicillin, amoxicillin, tetracycline, clindamycin and erythromycin.  It is sometimes termed as a "superbug" for the fact that it can resist most all antibiotics. This is a VERY serious infection and studies show that in the past year about 1.2 million people have been hospitalized from MRSA and about 23% of the cases have been fatal.  Even if the disease isn't fatal it can cause major brain damage as well.  My doctor prescribed some extremely hardcore antibiotics at the highest possible healthy dosage level... but unfortunately it didn't work.  I still have the infection and it just seems to get worse and worse as the days pass.  We have tried about everything possible but my condition still seems to worsen.  I have even had me ears "pressure washed" 3 times and I have been on about every antibiotic known to man but nothing has really helped.  I have suffered with this condition for almost a year now and I hope that none of you have to.

IF YOU HAVE THESE SYMPTOMS, DON"T MESS AROUND.  GO HAVE A CULTURE DONE JUST TO BE SURE IT'S NOT STAPH. STAPH IS NOT SOMETHING TO PUT OFF AND IF NOT TREATED IT COULD BE FATAL, BUT IF CAUGHT SOON ENOUGH IT CAN BE TREATED.
I had this for about 2 years with no help from any medical professional within my PPO network. ( They all just basically called me a q-tip junkie and told me to leave my ears alone; you all KNOW how easy that is!)  I finally went to another ENT outside my insurance network, whom I know professionally.  He did an exam and stated he suspected a low grade fungal infecion (infection). I got a prescription which worked very well.  What a relief!!  The Doctor also said that this will be something that is not cured, and that I will just have to re-treat when necessary. He also advised to try to keep water out of the ears as much as possible.  I am sooo relieved.  The Rx is called lotrisone lotion (clotrimazole and betamethasone combo).  If you  want to try it without a prescription, you can get some clotrimazole and some cortisone cream and mix them together and apply to the ear canal.   ( The doctor told me this.)  I opted for the script since it was only $10. I am telling you, I got relief within a few days!!!

Good Luck!  Let's hear if anyone else gets relief from this.  Thanks
I have had some of these sympyoms.  In fact, some of it is back.  I haven't read all of these messages, but has anyone tried allergy shots?  To make a long story short, I felt fluid in my ears (mostly left) which brought on tinnitus.  Allergy shots took it all away - fluid, itchiness, tinnitus, etc...  After completing 2 rounds of shots (5-6 years each time), the symptoms return (in between and recently).  This last time they changed my allergen (change in allergies from scratch test) and symptoms have returned again (fluid in ears, itchy feeling, tinnitus, clogging, etc...).  I'm having my allergist go back to my original allergen to see if that helps.  This condition drives me crazy and is ridiculous to manage unless the allergy shots work (they do work, just takes a little time).  Let me know if anyone else has tried this and if anyone has tinnitus and similar stories.  Thanks!
Wow thanks for all the information. I've had this for thirty years following repeated bouts of swimmer's ear (infections). Unfortunately, scratching produces the symptom of weeping that we all experience. It's the body's reaction to the interference of scratching. It helps if you can leave your ears alone (difficult as that may be). I swim in salt water and providing I dry my ears out with alcohol based ear drops, it is manageable. Right now we have high humidity in Aus and I'm waking up scratching my ears  !!  Ugh. Scratch if you have to but don't use Q Tips *(we call them cotton buds - suppose is same thing), don't use objects - only makes it all worse. My doctor was useless too - just prescribing gluggy drops.
I'm going to try the things all of you have mentioned and will probide feedback. Thanks for your tips.

Peace to you.
Get a prescription for "Mometasone Furoate Cream, 0.1 % by fougera.   IT WORKS!!!   Finally, after 8 years of itching my ears so bad that they bled.  I went to 3 different ear doctors and tried various prescriptions and nothing helped.  Then finally, I went to my family Doctor and his Intern gave me this prescription and promised me it would work.  I am SO RELEIVED.  I have been using this now for 7 months and can't believe that I had to suffer for so long, when this cream was available.  
Thanks Jennifer_Kayleen_4. I've continued my search with your information and also came accross the following quote and article. "that it could be MRSA include ear infections that drain pus, or swollen neck lymph nodes caused by pus draining from a throat or nose abcess (abscess)."
http://cbs11tv.com/health/mrsa.kids.infections.2.912497.html
Because of the information you shared I will go get checked. I hope everyone else does too. The oil of oregano p73 seems to be working well and seems promising even with MRSA. I do take it internally and externally, however when I stopped for a few days my ears started leaking again! Thanks for posting.  
I also never had swollen glands however, while I was taking oil of oregano p73 drops I felt the itchyness continue down my estuchian tubes (sp?) and then noticed small bumps in the back of my throat. My throat became itchy as well. I then placed the oil of Oregano on a q-tip and swiped several times in the back of my throat. It worked. No more itchyness in my throat or ear tube. And for a few days no more itchyness in my ears either so then I stopped taking the drops. And now they are leaking and itchy again.
Ok, so I went to my doc. I told her what I found here. She said I do not have normal skin or hair in my ears anymore and it does appear to be a vicious cycle of itching and scratching. She took a culture and I have staph and strep in my ears!!! Almost fifteen years of suffering and finally I see a light at the end of of tunnel. She has prescribed antibiotics and I'm using sweet oil.  I'll keep ya'll posted.  
Thanks so much for the thorough information and postings.  

I have been suffering from ichy wet ears- scratching cycles- for 6 months or so.  Recently (i think with the particularly dry weather of winter, my typically dry skin and finally compounded by the fact that I am a long term q tip addict) it has gotten worse.  

Anyway, I live in china and with very little language skill here it was difficult to go to the doctor (even though my friend helped me) when i was saying that my ears were wet it just got confusing--doctor responding with "try to keep your ears dry"

After failed antibiotic cream (at least i think that is what it was as i couldn't read the box) and while trying to go cold turkey from scratching and qtip cleaning, I would have maddening wakeups of furious ear itching/wetting followed by vigorous q tip itching (terrible i know--but it feels so good!) and then more wetting... I finally decided to stop complaining and do more research.  

GOOD NEWS!  Thanks to this site (and following ktbhoy's story) I got the translation for "Betamethasone Valerate 0.1%" and "corticosteroid" ...went to the pharmacy, they didn't have that one exactly...but something similar and although it sounds mildly risky to put "maybe the right stuff" in your ear...when you are maddened by these cycles, you will put pretty much anything in there to try to make it stop.  So  I don't want to get ahead of myself...but looks good so far at two days with no itching or wetting!!!  I will post the exact medicine soon and update on the condition.

SO THANK YOU EVERYONE!  

PS-will cut the qtips out of my life
I'm kinda frustrated by all the STAPH diagnosis.  I too had STAPH in my ears when checked by my MD but I was told it was the normal staph that is common to all of us and what is on our skin all the time.  

Any thoughts?  I think they are trying to scare us.  I also finally visited an ENT and she gave me the Derm Otic drops.  I feel some relief but the itching is not even remotely gone.  She said THIS MAY NEVER GO AWAY.  UGH
FINALLY! Well, I have the best news ever. My last post  was that I had stopped putting oil of oregano in my ears and the itchyness and watery ears returned. Several days later I caught a cold and decided to take several drops of oil of oregano P73 internally throughout the next three days and noticed my ears returned to normal. In addition, my cold, cough, stuffy nose was gone in 24 hrs and it has been over a week now with completely normal ears!  No itchyness, odor, or discharge. I do believe I had staph and that the oil of oregano P73 worked! Goodluck everyone!
Thanks so much SimplyMe2007. As others have posted - I was beginning to think I would never find any info on my issues....but I see many others have the exact same thing.
I am going to try some of their recommendations and make an appt with my doctor.
I'm with audirae I am a Q-Tip addict, also!
Thanks again!
Thanks so much for creating this post.  Have learned many things.  Went to Dr. yesterday without cleaning my ears up-left the crust and drippiness exactly as it is when I wake up.  When he looked at my ears, he said there definitely is something going on,  Said my ear canals were so swollen could I even hear out of my ears?  I asked for the DermOtic Oil but he said my ears were so swollen inside that he could not see what else was going on and he needed o be able to do a swab test and look further down in the canal.  So first get the swelling down.  He gave me a steroid shot to get things moving faster, 800 mg Motrin for pain, swelling and inflamation (inflammation), the antibiotic Azithromycin, Cortisporin Otic 1% Suspension eardrops Prednisone for the achy joints (my achy jaws and neck) and Genetian Violet for the crust and flaky cracked skin above my right ear and on the back of my head.  He also did a blood test for chloresterol, uric acid , and a few other things that I don't remember.  He looked at my elbows, knees and feet because he said that a lot of people have dry skin in those areas when their ears are in this condition,  I just had dry skin on one elbow and both heels.  So he said to take a pumice stone and smooth as much dry skin off til it began to hurt then immediately rub in a good lotion - not the cheap watery stuff.  Get something like Jergens Ultimate or Gold Bond Ultimate and don't wash off skin after using pumice-just put lotion on right away.  Do feet right after bath or shower same way. Before shower dip Q-Tip in mineral oil and gently rub crust to soften.  In shower wash ears and hair with Selsun Blue and gosh does that sting and make ears itch. Do not dry ears with towel but use kleenex or something similar-one for each ear.  Put a piece of tissue over a Q-Tip and gently rotate just where crust is for a few seconds.  Use clean end for each ear.  Then rotate in opposite direction.  Gently dry ears just inside ears with Q-Tip.  Then apply small amount of  Tolnaftate Cream which is Equate Athlete's Foot Cream (at Walmart)to just inside ear and outer  part but not whole ear-just in the recessed part.  Use clean end for other ear.  Use another Q-Tip for A+D Ointment The original yellow kind-not the cream (also at Walmart) and coat your entire ear inside and out with a light film and back behind the ear.  Do not stick down in the ear canal.If you have crusty itchy eyes as I do use Collyrium, and yeah I need a nasal spray too.  Equate Nasal Four at bedtime and Vicks Early Defense in the daytime. Just when needed-helps keep the gunk from backing up into your ears. The Dr. said it's hard to tell what you have without a swab and blood test because so many fungi and bacteria cause the same symptoms.  So what works for one person might not work for another because one may have a fungus and another a bacterial bug or one may have two different kinds of fungus or a fungus and a bacterial bug.  A lot of doctors don't know how to treat this so they want to get rid of the patient and just give them a prescription to get rid of them.  Did I tell you My Dr. is Chinese and I've been going to him for 20 years and he's never failed me yet.  He spent a good amount of time talking to me about this and explaining how to take care of it until he finds out what it is that I have.  In just one day the itching calmed down and lasted all night and all day today.  Feels like the swelling has gone down and the aching jaw and neck is no more.  Oh yeah forgot one thing.  Double fold a thick towel over your pillow after laundering it to keep the bugs off it (drainage) and use a clean towel every night for 7 days after the draining has stopped.  If it's fungus, it's hard to erradicate so you don't want to keep transferring back and forth.  Oh yeah, drink plenty of fluids-doesn't have to be water-can be juice, milk, tea and tho he frowns on pop, he included that too. But limit your coffee to what is reasonable.  Can't think of anything else -sure has helped me and hope it helps you too.  I only had this for 2 moths-just cannot image 20-30 years of it!  And I would have gone to Dr. sooner but eye surgeon didn't want me on any meds if I could help it-not even for a headache until after the surgery.  So waited 3 weeks until stitches in eye dissolved and then headed to my Dr.  What a releif  not to have  wet crusty itchy ears!
Hello. My drama begane in the summer of 2009. Woke up one morning with my right ear wet inside. I have to wear ear plugs in the summer, due to fan being on at night, I live in AZ where it is very hot most of year. Fan noise keeps me awake. I thought it was the ear plugs causing wetness. So stopped using them and just tried to deal with fan noise. I must lay on right side only. I thought it was that causing trouble. My left ear gets slight wetness, but it is in the open air, not pressed to pillow and is barely a bother. Problem became more complex with itching inside ears. The wetness smelled like wet ear wax. I do not make ear wax that I can see come out on a q tip. I am not a junkie, never was. Used q tip about once a week prior to this issue. Then the flaky skin began. Waited about Sept to go to my regular doc. He has been in practice for 30 years. So was confident he could help. Not. Said ears looked normal. Just slight redness, swelling. Gave me a script for some ear drops. Said gives that to people with swimmers ear. I had to wait a week to get it filled. First store could not get the drops in. Had to hunt around town to find someone who might have it is stock. Found them and got drops. Faithfully put drops in ears, alternating each day. The drops were very expensive. But my md insurance saved me. My ears itched worse when the drops were in ear, going down canal for a few hours with my head laying to the side. By the next day the drops had made shreds/pieces/small amounts of skin peel off the inside of my ears. I quit the drops. My mom reads up on homeopathic medicine. She suggest oregano pills. I have been taking 2 per day for months now. Got them at the health food store, also at a store called Sprouts. Not very expensive, maybe $12 or so per bottle. about 60 pills per bottle. As of today, my ears/really the right one mostly, are still wet in the am when I awake, I just use a hankie, dab out the wetness, which seems to be less, the wetness has no smell, I have no flaky skin or peeling skin now, no sores, no bleeding, no urgent need or feeling of need to q tip myself all the time. Itchy ears is very slight, and I think if I just have the wetness in am and not much else I can live with it. I do not have the stamina, energy, money, or desire to go around my thumb to the finger to find an answer. My md did not do a swab of my ear. No blood test. Nothing. I have muscular dystrophy and am wheelchair bound and just can't fight the ear thing with doctors too. I am now taking oregano pills but only 1 x per day. In the am. No side effects from them. I worked for 30 years for the phone company with an ear plug in my ear doing on the phone customer service work, and never ever did I have wet ears. I am just tired. I do not know how long I will have to use the oregano, maybe all this year. It takes along time for homeopathic remedies to build up in your system. But I am willing to try.
I have been suffering from dry & flakey ears for over 4 years - What started as a dry bump in one ear turned into both ears completely irritated, dry and itchy. It became a nervous itch for me that only made things worse. I would scratch my ears all day and night if I could. I am extremely self conscious of my red, dandruff-like ears and often wear my hair down to cover them. My boyfriend asks me why I always wear my hair over my ears and wishes I didn't cover them all the time (He doesn't know I'm suffering from itchy, dry ears because I'm too embarrassed to tell him), which just makes me feel even worse because I don't want to hide something anymore. Those that do know, have seen how bad it is in my ears and are extremely concerned I will have scarring and damage in my ears.

FINALLY, after four years of this torture and hopelessness, I went to a dermatologist who took one look and said "no problem, we'll get this fixed right away." for those who are just now starting to suffer or have been for years, its time to go to a dermatologist - not a general physician. My general recommended Aquaphor and over the counter cortisone cream - both provided temporary relief but no permanent solutions. Absolutely nothing against my doctor or anyone else's - But from my experience, someone who specializes in skincare will be able to provide better treatment.

FOR THOSE WANTING LASTING AND REAL RELIEF, GO TO A DERMATOLOGIST. FORGET HOME REMEDIES - I truly believe for most cases it will not work and something so serious needs to be looked at by a professional. I was just prescribed the Dermotic Oil and it is a haven for my little ears. I avoided the doctor because I thought I could find a cheaper solution than an RX and a Copay, but there isn't. I spent countless dollars on oils, vitamins, lotions, creams - all which did not give the permanent (or at least long term) relief Dermotic Oil can.

I feel for all of you suffering, and I honestly don't know why it took me so long to go to a professional to help me relieve this issue. I hope you all are able to get to a doctor soon. It is WORTH IT! Be optimistic and hopeful - Because there is a solution. Take care of your bodies! May there be a solution to bless all of you!

Thank you to those that have shared their successes and failures, I almost cried when I was prescribed Dermotic Oil because of the success it has had!

Just thought I'd update what is happening.  My lab tests came back and I found out have rather severe bacterial ear infection.  My Doctor said my ears looked a lot better but still need meds as sinuses are backing up into my ears hence the swelling and earache which came back yesterday so going another round of different antibiotics.  
also foundf out that I have gout.  Always something..  Gave me Avelox to finish off the infection.  Last week after giing to Dr, painted my ears with Genetian Violet and in less than 12 hrs those crusts were no more.  Had purple flakes everywhere but better than having wet stinging, burning, itchy ears.
Just wanted to add a very weird thought of perhaps WHERE MY ITCHY EARS CAME FROM. My boyfriend (ex) had recently gotten DENTURES...which he would be too embarrassed to ever take them out of his mouth (even at night)...which also can create thrush in the mouth...ok..so here is where I'm going with this. If you read this article...http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/oralthrush.htm it will talk about oral thrush (fungal infection)....and people with dentures are one who are susepticle (sp?). Yes, he kissed my ears...a lot right after his he got his dentures...and within weeks...I developed fungal ear infections....because come to think of it...he developed angular cholitis but tried to hide it. (which is cracks on the side of the mouth which is  a sign of a mouth fungal infection)
Oil of Oregano p73 worked for me. I do understand why people get frustrated when they go to the doctors and they either give the same drops (which only further it) or just say you are fine. I don't have insurance and have spent hundreds of dollars..almost a thousand now trying to get this figured out. Although if you find one that will listen to you...demand a culture test be done...and it also sounds like nystatin does the job as well. Just a note though...the oil of oregano p73 worked for me...but I put the drops in my mouth as well as my ears before I found relief.
Here's an update.......I was on Septra for the Staph and Strep.  (bleemdc-the staph is the normal staph you have on the surface of parts of your body, however once it enters your body is when it becomes an infection, so I'm told) I felt great for about a week and a half. Now I am back to runny, itchy, crusty ears. My doc is running me on another dose of Septra now. I'm hoping for the best. Also, the sweet oil I believe was working but I haven't been very faithful with it because I hated having it ooze out of my ears and getting on my earpiece at work. Doesn't seem so bad now! I'll keep ya'll posted.
Update:

I have been on the Dermotic Oil and an antifungal cream for a week now - and 90% of the dry, flakey skin is gone! The hardest part is keeping my fingers out of my ears - More of a habit than for any other reason. I think if I could stop this habit they would be 100%. They don't itch and don't bother me otherwise!

Many thanks to SimplyMe2007 for starting this discussion.  Wealth of information can be found from reading the postings.  I have the same symptoms but with lesser side effects, itching, flakes and hi pitch noise. I have it in both ears but my left ear is mostly the bad actor.  Itching and flaking normally happen after taking a shower in the morning, the fluid is not smelly but sticks to the skin like crazy glue.  My mother lives abroad and has the same issue. Her Dr prescribed Synalar (Fluocinolone Acetonide) and she think it is like a magic, it cured her symptoms permanently. So, I am going to try the same and will report back the results in due time. Incidentally, Fluocinolone Acetonide is the same active ingredients found in the DermOtic Oil ear drops but perhaps at different % strength. I believe asking your Dr for advice before starting any treatment is a wise move.  Good luck to all.
For the wet itchy ears, bacterial or fungal, the only cure I have found is a q-tip dipped into white distilled vinegar as a guide for measurement.  Apply carefully in ear canal.   Apply twice a day, especially before you goto bed.  You'll notice your earwax will come back, and allow the wax to fill you ear.  When you healed don't use q-tips again.  Use ear plugs in the shower, and turn your head sideways to dry your ears.  Hope that helps.  Also I hope National Health Care goes through.  The richest country in the world can't pay our doctors for health care, they don't want to share.  By the way United States and Brazil are the only countries without government paid health care.  The government is not a doctor, they just want to pay the bill for everyone of We The People.  Is profit another tax?
Follow the celiac disease diet (gluten free).  It cured my husband within a few days of the itching and peeling sheets of dead skin coming from his ears.  No more problems.  It seems to kill the fungus that causes this problem.  
I have had similar experiences since I used a cell phone my boss handed me... then I started loosing my hearing and hard crusty balls of wax would line my inner ear. I have been to many doctors who say there is nothing wrong... little do they know...

I have not tried the Vaseline thing but I will try that. One pharmacy told me that it might be a fungal infection as the steroid/antibiotic was not working. I had been continually prescribed that for a year and 1/2.

I hope some of your ideas work cause I am at wits end with this nonsence. I never had a problem till about a week after I used the cell phone, then someone else who also used it at the same time complained about the same experiences I had. and apparently there is no connection between what i have and the cell phone.

I am so tired of doctors and what they do not know. I am glad I have never been a doctor. In the past 2 years I have been booked for emergency surgery, given all sorts of medications and told I will have this for life - all over the same condition. I am so fed up...

I hope some of your ideas work... I feel your pain!
I've always had a problem with my ears. 2 years ago I went to the doctor because of itchy ears. He said I had a heap of wax build up, so syringed it out with water. This was a mistake because I developed a nasty ear infection after this procedure. He then did my other ear and promised he would be more gentle with the water pressure. Sure enough.....another ear infection.

Now, ever since then, my ears have a crusty, itchy film in my left ear...and I feel like I'm consistently peeling this off to relieve the itch, for the cycle to start again.
I went back to the doctor who referred me to an ENT specialist, whom I'm yet to visit. I want to research this first on my own before spending money on someone telling me to take more drugs.

I did some of my own experiment. I tried to eat a better, more balanced diet. Made sure my water intake was minimum 1litre per day. And bingo! My itchy ears reduced. I refrain from using ear buds/qtips and rather use a little tissue.

I honstly believe what goes in our bodies, must come out. And the more water we drink, the less "dry" skin we have...it's worth a try ;)
Love this threat...I am to suffuring of the same thing for the past 6 months saw 2 doctors and 1 ent. I took so many anibiotics and ended up having a Staph infection....Okay I was good for 2 weeks and the itching is back I cannot stand it anymore I spent like $700 that I couldn't afford...Sorry to say that but this is a very lucrative business...I am from Europe and disguted by the doctors over here they only give you 3 min of their time and ask you to come back for never ending follow ups...I am too considering seeing a dermatologist as a last resort....
Hello to all,
Gosh!!! I am relieved to see the previous posts on itchy ears I have ahd problems with my ears since I was a little girl.I feel I am stuck in a rut with current problems with my ears. Firstly I experience severe itchiness in either oof my ear drum, this is due to a buid up of dry crusty wax. This is hard to remove as it really sticks to the ear drum. Once I peel it off immediately wet was ozzes out of my ear drum. If I sleep in that side I can feel the wax running out into my ear lobes. In the morning my ear is full of wet wax. I manage to dry some of this with an ear bud. As always the wax becomes dry again and the cycle starts again with chronic itch in my eardrum. Sometimes the itch in my in my ear drum is so bad I end up scratching it with my fingernail and it has bled a few times due to this. Please please please give me some advice if you have can think of any solutions to my problem.
Had the same reoccuring problem and went to many Dr.s who prescribed antibiotics which didn't work.  Then I found an excellent ENT Dr. who prescribed IC Acetasol HC Ear drops (hydrocortisone and acetic acid otic solution USP).  I used the drops and they worked right away and he told me if my ears started itching again to apply some of the solution to my outer ear using a Q-tip.  This treatment worked for years but I needed a new prescription and unfortunately this Dr. retired and the one I saw today would only give me a prescription for an antibiotic.  I'm hoping I can find a Dr. who will listen to me and prescribe what worked in the past!
Man do I ever feel sorry for you poor souls. I too have suffered all my life from these same problems,....but I, me & only me found out the cause at about 40 yrs old (am now 70). Cut out ALL glycolic & acidic acid...this garbage is in almost every product you buy, from vegies, of course fruit is full of it..then to medications...check what is in every product you buy & in most cases you will see the god awful words ACIDIC ACID. Dr's have no idea about this & refuse to believe you if you talk about it. It may not be an allergy however it is definitely intolerance. Mine began during the war when my Mom of 6 little ones would run after an overloaded orange truck & collect them in her apron to feed to us. I was in hosp. at age 2 for 2 months. My ears are ok today with many many scars, but if I eat real acidic food, they start to drain & itch in the night & I go crazy. My daughter had same problem, now her son, they wanted to circumcise him & I said NO, just cut those horribly citric fruits & low & behold he is fine. Now I have a Great granddaughter who is very serious that way..he,he...silly Dr called it bronchial pneumonia & ear infection so she is on antibiotic.AHHHHH!
It only stands to reason...over indulge in something & you become immune...so acidic acid in everything from the time we are born to death..then our bodies are bound to react. I could write a book on all the prob's I have had & seen due to this intolerance. Has your Dr ever told you that you have a yeast infection? Especially in your private parts? I mean Male & Female…guess what? They can call it whatever they want, just don’t take their antibiotic. My poor 80 yr old Mom was given juice all day long & they said she had yeast infection...It made me sick. I think the medical professionals know about it, but that would cut back on Dr's visits & inserting tubes in poor little babies ears.
You may not believe me, but try it anyway, can't loose anything, just some time trying to find something to ingest that does not include it. Darn, they even wash lettuce with it & some gets left on. Go figure eh? So try it folks...1 month of no acidic fruits...ok to eat, bananas, grapes, pears,..no oranges,apples,pineapples, tomatoes, lemons, lime etc. Same with juice & read to be sure they have not added acidic acid. A little is ok & you may only need to cut back a small amount...me? I had to cut out most all. Good luck...& please let me know how you are feeling now.
Now, just another sample of our products we buy. i was cleaning my shower stalls on all 3 bathrooms yesterday using Greenworks product, started hacking/coughing/choking....then read the ingedients, yes...Glycolic Acid...darn near killed me...dry throat all night long...coughing all night, then extremely itchy throat all today which travelled right into my ears. There is little I can do to relieve itching or pain, just have to ride it out for a couple days. As you can see, this is a lifetime problem you will have to get used to & be cautious of what you inhale or ingest. Dr's will continue to push you to eat lots of fruits....medications are also full of these acids because they are a preservative, fillers, cleaners etc, just like MSG. Good luck
Wow and the doctors had me believing that I was crazy! For over 3 yrs I have had itchy ears and the draining and thought I was losing my mind.  Then 3 doctors later they assured me I was losing my mind! lol Now here I am reading this thread and thinking to myself "there is a lot of us losing our minds"
I have tried the cortisone cream/ointment neither worked(caused even more drainage.) Got the antibiotic drops with HC and they worked as long as I was using them, but as soon as the drops were gone I was back to square 1. Then there was the vinegar in the ear, holy crap did I scream!  Then it was the mineral oil and I thought I found relief, guess again, it lasted all of 3 days and then I was back to the itching again.
I am 36 and I can't hear very good anymore and I believe it is because of this ringing, itching, drainage, etc....
Please if anyone finds relief that is lasting...share, share, share!
I have had this problem for the last three years. I tried the cortizone cream with no results. I actually have scratched my ears til they bled. Anyway, the only thing I have found that worked is NCD. It's a detox drop made from zeolites. I use it in my ears , 2 drops each ear each night. Then I put a drop on a Q-tip to rub around the opening of the ear canal. I get it from www.purebodies.com. Good luck because this can drive one insane and doctors make light of it.
Come on folks...if you really want relief, you can have it. Get off ACIDIC ACID that is what is causing it. Dr's will not admit it beause they are push us to eat nothing but. Se my post of Feb 21 2010.
I have been eating the same foods all my life...why would this start now and not years ago?
This is more common than you would think.  PLEASE TRY TO CUT OUT SUGAR AND WHEAT GLUTEN FOR AT LEAST ONE WEEK.  I woud bet you will see an immediate improvement.  Read about gluten and candida on the internet and you will be amazed at what these two products can cause.  I hate to have to admit it, because I love both but the itching in my ears, ankles, armpits and head, along with the ringing in my ears, the fluid discharge in my ears and the bad taste on the back of your tongue is all caused by the sugar induced fungus called "candida".  I hope this helps all of you as much as it has me.
I forgot to mention that the popping in my ears when I swallow also has gone away after cutting out gluten and sugar.  Of course, I doubt if I can do this forever, even though many do, I do know what is the cause and I can help control it. After eight days on my control diet, I woke up and noticed no ringing in my ears, then I noticed no popping when I swallowed.  Throughout the day, I realized that my ears felt as open as my nasal pasages do when I take a 12 hour sudafed.  I have quit taking my zyrtec and my sudafed.  I no longer need them.  p.s.  First time I ate pasta one night and pizza the next, it all came back along with hives on my neck and shoulders.  You can't imagine or fake hives and mad itch!  I am convinced.
My husband had a problem with this for months.  Found a new doctor.  The doctor did a culture on his ears, found a strep infection.  Also treated for fungus.  First a course of antifungal, then a course of antibiotics.  He is finally all better!  Good luck everyone!  He was miserable.  His ears were so crusted and scabbed that he didn't even want to go out in public.  :(  So glad he's feeling better!
A few months ago I developed the itchy, scaly, crusty ear problem.  It started in one ear and then, after a few days, the other ear developed the same symptoms.  I tried the common suggestions like cortizone and clotrimazole but even though they sort of controlled the problem by keeping the skin inside my ear moist, whenever I stopped using them, my ears immediately started drying up and the skin thickened up so that when I scratched them, flakes would fall out.  Then, usually at night, they would sort of weep.  My wife thought I was getting water in my ears from the shower but I knew that wasn't the problem.  In the morning, that liquid that had been oozing inside my ear from somewhere would be all dry and crusty.  After reading some of the recommendations on this forum, I ordered a bottle of Zymox OTIC HC 1.0% from Amazon (the little 1.25 fluid ounce white bottle) and tried it.  A single application of one drop on my fingertip a day swabbed liberally inside my ear canal and ear cured my problem in just two days!   I am so happy and relieved.  Because I was starting to inadvertently develop scabs inside my ear from absent-mindedly scratching the thick skin out of my ear and I was embarrassed that everyone at work would notice.  I thought I owed it to you fellow sufferers to report my results.  Good luck.  I hope you find relief. --oh --I forgot to mention this: my wife, after seeing the results I got decided to try this product on her own chronic skin problem --a raw spot behind her ear where her glasses rest.  It cured her problem in two days too.  We both continued using it for 4 or 5 days just in case and have now been stopped for several days with no relapse!
I have had the same non stop wet itchy ears for over a year now.  I brought it up during a check up with my primary doctor about a week ago.  He thought it might be eczema.  I thought he was wrong because I have never had eczema anywhere else, and I often applied over the counter cortizone to my ear with a q-tip.  It helped with the itching for a few hours most the time, but was not a cure.  Anyways, he prescribed me triamcinolone acetonide 0.1% cream to apply with a q-tip to my ear, and so far so good.  For about week now I have felt cured.  GET SOME!  Hopefully it keeps working its magic.  Hope this helped.

JPEEPEE
Read my last post:  It sounded crazy to me at first, but the more I research the defintion of eczema the more I think my Dr. is right.  Google eczema ears.  We have eczema of the ear people!  Get some Triamcinolone acetonide 0.1% cream!  Prove me wrong.

JPEEPEE
While nowhere as bad as most of you I have an itchy ear too.  It began when I was working in a call center wearing tight fitting headphones for hours.  That was nearly 8 years ago with it coming and going in a totally unpredictable manner though I have noticed that when it does flare up that being in a humid environment makes it worse.
Doing a little searching I found a page called "Curing and Preventing Chronic Ear Infections using Diet and Anti-Yeast Therapy Candida" which suggested an interesting cycle between Candida yeast and bacterial ear infections.  
In a nutshell Candida yeast and certain bacteria grow better together but since the yeast isn't effected by antibiotics it can grow in the areas that held the bacteria setting the stage for another infection.

If correct this suggests a very troubling situation as it means there is the possibly of developing antibiotic resistant strains
My right ear is always "wet" inside, it even "leaks" a bit. its disgusting and has a minor odor.  At night it itches so bad i often awake to catch my self "night scratching". In the morning when i wake up its always "crusty" and i need to use a damp washcloth to get the crusty junk off.

During the day i have no itch, just endlessly wet mostly-clear fluid.  

I've tried vinegar but it BURNS real bad. i can tolerate the pain if it will make it get better but im not confident that it will. i have no health insurance rite now and am on my bottom dime as it is...  I dont know what to do but this is driving me nuts.

I can dry it out with a q-tip, blow dryer or whatever but not 20 minutes later its all wet inside again. save me!
I had all the symptoms. I've been reading this forum for almost a year, trying various things, just hoping for some relief. It started in my left ear, complete with the ringing, itching, wet, nasty flaking, digging and scratching. It was so embarrassing. It then started in my right ear and I was desperate for some relief. Most people here are saying the ENT and Dr's didn't help. Since I didn't have insurance, it wasn't money I was eager to spend for little hope. I finally tried the Zymox OTIC HC 1.0% from Amazon (the little 1.25 fluid ounce white bottle)  mentioned in this forum by several. I was a little hesitant about using something for dogs, but, as most of you reading this can relate to, there's a point where you will try most anything for some help and relief.
I'm posting this to just say, it worked. In 3 days the relief has been overwhelming to the point where I carry one in my purse just in case.
I'm very hopeful this is going to help. Good luck to all
I've had problems with Itchy ears of and on for about 10 years and I used to use Lotizone which I don't think is intended for the ear and I'm not so sure it is safe. Finally I found all natural herbal formula that really worked and is safe called earache remedy made by seagate products. http://www.seagateproducts.com/earache-remedy.html They even have a pediatric formula.
In my future posts, Dr diagnosed my problems and treated them successfully as I have reported and yes, it was time consuming but it worked.  Them I got the fungal infection and ordered the Zymox online.  Treated ears with Zymox but also comtinued using the tolnaftate and A+D ointment with wonderful results.  Continued using the Zymox even after the symptoms were gone for a few more days then to every other day and finally was able to quit altogether.  So now am rid of it all-the bacterial and fungal infections.  When I told my Dr about the Zymox, he laughed and said he would certainly have to consider that.  And knowing him, he probably will cause he sure loves to save his patients money!  Am so glad that I found this site and thanks to everyone for their input especially to the guy who admitted he tried the dog's medication and for him it worked.  And for me too.  But so did all the other meds for which they were supposed to for the problems they were intended for.   So you see it takes perserverance to get things like this cleared up.  And probably the person who used Zymox and it didn't work needed something else cause they had something else-see what I'm saying?   Also for the people whose symptoms cleared up due to diet was probably allergic to gluten and glycolic acid and not everyone is allergic to that.  And the reason I chose to use the Zymox instead of the Dermotic Oil was because of the cost.  I spent $35.00 for the Zymox shampoo, Zymox ear cleanser and Zymox Otic drops versus the $52.00 for the Dermotic Oil,  It serves a dual purpose as can use it on my dogs for whom it was intended, it just so happened to be a bonus for me.  Am grateful to my Dr who insisted on taking a swab test and bloodwork and for recommending getting rid of the bacterial infections first otherwise would still be dealing with this mess. And have learned that sometimes it takes a combination of meds to get rid of something like this,  Hope this helps you and God bless.
63
I've had similar ear problems for years.  I'd wake up at night scratching my ears.  They'd drain a clear fluid that dried up which caused more itching and so on and so on.  I asked my dermatologist about it and he gave me a prescription for Topicort.  I put some of this cream in and instantly the problems went away.  He said I'd have to put it in once a week or so, but I haven't had to use hardly ever.  Hallelujah!  I'm not waking up scratching anymore and I don't pick at my ears all day long anymore.  Hope this helps someone.
Hi, I've read a lot of your comments over the last year as I started to have this problem myself.  My ENT guy gave me drops, antibiotics, allergy tests etc. but nothing worked and he has never given me a reason for all of this.  From what I've read, a lot of you have experienced the same thing, it's like the medical profession will not take these problems seriously.  I have discovered a wonderful homeopathic remedy.  The herb is called "pulsatilla" and is available in little tablet form which you just dissolve in your mouth.  They are available in Whole Foods and Wegmans and I'm sure in most health food stores like Nelsons, or online.  Within a few days of taking the herb, I had great improvement and once I keep taking it, my ears are great.  If I forget to take it or don't bother for a few days, my symptoms return, so I know the pulsatilla is doing the trick.  I have yet to go back to my ENT guy and tell him all about it.

I hope this little herb provides you with some relief.  It has certainly made my life a whole lot better.
Go to the pharmacy and get "Sweet oil" this is olive oil for ear use,put two or three drops in the ear/ears and gently place a cotton ball at the ear opening(not inside the ear) lay on your side to let the sweet oil go down inside the ear,you should get almost immediate relief. Try to keep the ear dry when showering.This should take the itchiness away and hopefully the ear infection.
I have been suffering from extreme itchiness in my ears for a few years now. I have been to my MD. He prescribed the vinegar drops. Didn't help. I then went to an ENT who told me to stop using Q-Tips that my problem was probably caused by cotton getting down into my ear drum and tickling. He prescribed me some type of drops, they haven't helped. I have tried the ear candles, and surprise, they haven't helped. I don't know what else to do. I have tried the hydrocortisone ointment and nothing has happened yet. I do not have any fluid or flakiness,just UNBEARABLE itching. HELP!!! The only way I get temporary relief is to put my middle finger in my ear and shake hard and fast. I know that can't be good for my ear drums, but I can't get relief.
Wow, I'm so happy to find this!  I've always had problems with my ears but in the last year they itch so badly at night I can't sleep.  Last summer my left ear canal swelled up so badly I couldn't get drops in, my eardrum burst but still my Dr. and the ENT specialist said there was nothing wrong, just a little dry skin.  I really would like to head that off this summer, this week (and maybe it has to do with all the tree pollen though I've never had allergies)my ears itched so badly and I rubbed so hard that both were sore.  The ENT did say there were little blisters on my ear drum last year which sounds like a previous post.  I got a prescription for DermOtic yesterday(their last bottle, they said it's not being made anymore?)and while I still itch this morning I did sleep through the night after using them for the first time.  
When i was in Ireland  had the problem  pharmacy gave me "Ear Calm"
best thing ever but not sold in the US  i tried to get it but cannot ship to here   sypmtoms gone within hours  and did not return  and it did not burn either.  
I now have the problem again  and cannot find relief    
Just a quick note to say hi! and that after googling about my own ears, i ordered zymox. got it today and already feel the itch is 50% less. i have such high hopes for this because ive had excema in my ear for about 10years now...so yes will try anything. but in my research found it contains lactoferrin, which is an anti fungal (gets rid of infection in ear), anti bacterial (gets rid of bacteria that fungal infection feeds off, anti viral (gets rid of internal virus that causes this cycle) and anti inflammatory (gets rid of itch and swelling). its available as a suppliment so im going to try that just for improving my health! just thoght you may be interested. i'll keep you up to date with how i go with zymox.fingers crossed.
Years ago i had a blocked ear and my husband (now X) tried to help by pouring boiling hot water in my ear (it was suposed to be luke warm) the damage caused scar tissue in my inner ear and now i get water caught inbetween the scarring and wax which causes the same insane itch that you all have. it has become a cycle over the years. the "not itching" approach works for a few months but the itch returns. it always does. the fucicourt cream the doctor gave me worked wonders and every time the itch came back (6 mths to a year) i used it and my ears stopped itching for another 6 -12 mths it was fantastic but became expensive. i use a bobbypin to scratch what feels like mites running around in my ear (left ear like most of the others posted here) however the bobbypin, which is great for hooking up the dry flaky skin and digging it out, eventually causes swelling. i am going to try the vasaline now .... it seems to have worked for some of you so i will let you all know if it works and for how long.
I just found this site i thought i was the only one suffering i have had the itchy and watery draning ears for 25 years i am 31 and i just thought it was normal Help me please I had tubs put in at 7 but still did not help now my ear drums have holes in them
Viewing 1-200 comments: