EAR, NOSE & THROAT
COMMUNITY
Enlarged Turbinate on Left Side of Nose (sometimes has popping noise when they swell)
by vaccaro, Feb 09, 2008
Has anyone ever had enlarged turbinate on one side of the nose with only a slight septal deviation. most people I read about have a moderate to worse deviation. However, in April 2006 I had the coblation surgery to the anterior (frontal) part of my left turbinate.  I could breathe better (even though it wasn't 100 percent) I could live w/it.  I was like this for 19 months after the coblation procedure and then I caught a cold here at Thanksgiving and I am still have problems w/the swelling and it is February 2008.  I have been on Amox 875 and Cipro 500 two times now along w/two prednisone packs since the end of November 2007.  The antibiotics seem to work somewhat but then I am right back where I started from.  it is like my turbinates are infected.  It seems I was fine until I caught that cold that turned into an infection.  Anyone else expereienced anything like this.  Initially, this is how it all seemed to start as well w/a cold turning into an infection.  I am on Nasacort and I do take allergy shots b/c I do have allergies.  I have tried Astelin but it seems to make my nose really really dry.  I've been on allergy shots since 2005.  when I lay down at night I sleep on my right side to keep my left turbinate from swelling up like a balloon and smothering me.  Sometimes I can feel the bubbles pop in my nose when the turbinate swells...Has anyone had this problem...the popping noises when the turbinate swells??? it's like an air bubble gets stuck or something, especially when it tries to unswell. I also get some pressure behind my nose at different times of day and left side of my cheek  I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Has anyone had a middle turbinate trim ???  Did it work? Do any meds work for this?  Anyone else w/same problem...I would love to hear from you.
Member Comments (21)
by Richter_Belmont, Feb 18, 2008
i dont know if we have exact similar problems about our nose. but this is my problem.

i keep on sniffing. because i felt pressure inside my nose, feels like the tissue inside my nose is pinched. i went to the ENT doctor. and the doctor told me that the interior tissue of my nose goes out. he dont recomment me any surgery. and he wants me to go back to him again on the other month.

i always sniff because i felt the tissue inside my nose is lifting. but most of the time theres side effects of this.i enumerate some.

i felt pain in some parts of my body
i felt numbness too.
i felt maigraine.
changes in my BREATHING PATTERN.
i also felt like my stomach is rotating. and im going to vomit.
the worst is that it affects my brain and my mind.

by Richter_Belmont, Feb 18, 2008
i also felt this popping sound. like *plok* sound inside the nose.
by kat411, Mar 08, 2008
I also have an enlarged turbinate with a deviated septum. Every time I catch a cold I get a sinus infection, I go on antibiotics take decongestats night and day with ibuprofin and it always comes back. It seems to have gotten worse this month. My entire head was throbbing with neck pain and facial swelling.  I have to lay on my right side at night to be able to breath out of my left nostrile.  My ENT said I need to have the deviated septum fixed with surgery and have the turbinate coterised.  I feel alot of pressure at the top of my nose all of the time and I have never had a throbbing headache for days like I have lately.  I have been taking Aleve D Cold and SInus during the day and Tylenol cold and sinus at night and that has been helping the throbbing headache and pressure.  I was testing for allergies and I'm not allergic to anything. The allergist diagnosed me with Vasomotor Rhinitis and TMJ.  I don't know if anything is going to fix all of the problems going on. If anyone has any suggestions or advise I would appreciate it.
by ucsd_alum, Jun 14, 2008
test
by ucsd_alum, Jun 14, 2008
I've got an enlarged turbinate on one side of the nose and septal deviation, but I'm not sure if mine is slight or moderate. My enlarged turbinate is on the left side and my septum deviates to the right. I think it's moderate deviation because I've got a slight buldge on the exterior surface of the right side of my nose, but no buldge on the left.

I've also got allergies too. I did the allergy skin test and found out I'm allergic to dust mites and mold. Back in 2002 or 2003 I had a septoplasty surgery to correct my deviated septum, but back then I didn't know I had allergies. About 1 year after that surgery my nasal congestion problems came back most likely because of my allergies. During the past 4 years or so I've used used several different Nasal sprays (Nasonex, Flonase, Astelin, etc.), pills (Allegra, Zyrtec, Claritan, etc.), even this nasal irrigation device. None of them seemed to work for me with the exception of Claritan-D, a 24hr pill that I take daily, which helps slightly.

Recently, I was considering doing allergy shots but before starting them I decided to see an ENT Dr to get his opinion on if I should or not and he told me no. When I saw the ENT Dr that's when I found out I had an enlarged left turbinate. Before seeing him I already knew something was wrong with the left side of my nose, but I thought it was because of my allergies or deviated septum. I thought he was gonna tell me I have to do the septoplasty surgery again because apparently it's commmon to have to do the surgery again, but he told me I should get back on one of the nasal sprays I tried in the past and use the nasal irrigation device again, which I already tried and I don't think will work. I decided I'm gonna obtain my old ENT medical records to see what my previous ENT Dr did to me and I'm gonna go back this new ENT Dr and ask him if I could at least do the turbinate reduction surgery so that my left nostril will stop getting congested so much, which is so extremely annoying when it happens. "Swelling up like a balloon and smothering me" is the perfect description for what it feels like when it happens. I'm in the process of obtaining my medical records so I've got to wait and see whether or not my new ENT Dr will approve my request.

As for sleeping and the popping noises, I too have to sleep on my right side but I don't get that popping noise in my nose, I get it in my ear and it can get annoying. It only happens when my left turbinate is swelled up. For me, the "valsalva maneuver" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver) helps sometimes or just eating something. I'm not sure if this would work for you. Speaking of eating though, with me I've noticed that my left turbinate will swell up after eating certain meals. Does that ever happen to anyone? I've discovered recently that my diet can significantly affect my allergies because certain foods or drinks have inflammatory ingredients that can act the same way allegens do in our body and cause an allergic reaction. I even discovered that certain ingredients like sodium can impact the effectiveness of allergy medications. For example, if you've got a lot of sodium in your diet your blood circulation might be decreased and that could mean that your allergy medication isn't getting the chance to travel to all the necessary places inside your body.

Well, this was response was waaay longer than I thought it would be. I guess I had some venting to do. Thanks for reading if you made it this far.
by vaccaro, Jun 17, 2008
Well, just to catch you up to date.  As of March 25th I had the Septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery and I am feeling much better.  Most of my problems was w/my turbinate on the left side b/c it was so big.  I too have been on Nasacort, Flonase for the past three years and they just did not work for me.  I have noticed that eating can also reduce/enlarge a turbinate.  For example, sometimes I noticed if my left turbinate was swollen, I could eat or drink something and it would unswell - only temporarily though.  Hoewver, I could never determine if there was a food bothering me.  My doctor told me try to cut out caffeine and at one point and I did.  Thsi did not help.  I am not allergic to any foods but do take allergy shots for animals, dust, pollen, mold, etc.  Allergy shots do make a big difference for me.  Especiallly if you are allergic to grasses, pollens, molds.  Right now I am about ten weeks post surgery and am feeling well.  I still have some positional swelling when I sleep at night but I also think my middle turbinates are bothering me somewhat as well when I lay down.  However, it is much better than it was.  Beforehand, I couldn't breathe at all thru my left nostril much of the time whereas now I can breathe thru it 80 to 90 percent of time.  My surgeon did a very good job w/the procedure and am happy I had it done.  The real test of time will be this winter when I catch a nasty cold and see how my nose reacts to this.  this is how most of my swelling of the turbinates would start.  Hope this was helpful and just to let you know I am no longer on any type of medications.  I am medicine free now and hopefully will stay taht way.  No nose sprays ; no allergy medicine - nothing (HAPPY HAPPY!!!)...Only allergy shots once a week...  I know this was long but if it helps someone else or gives them hope, then so be it, I know I suffered three years and just about lost all hope b/c every winter I would stay on antibiotics and prednisone and suffer for weeks/months at a time along w/a swollen left turbinate.
by laaz, Jun 18, 2008
I too was diagnosed with vasomotor rhinitis.  Nothing seems to work.  I have had this for 6 yrs. now and things seem to be getting worse.  I don't have any hope left.  I think I have every single nasal steroid spray that was ever made.  I even was on oral steroids a few times for 7 day and some as long as 3 weeks.  No difference.  I have done nasal washes for 6 yrs. - no help.  I have constant 24/7 post nasal drainage and swelling under my eyes - bluish- purple discoloration and almost fluid filled looking.  One ENT doctor told me never to let any doctor do any type of surgery on my  turbinates.  Why not - I can't stand this.   I can't stand this any more.  This has ruined my life - I was totally healthy until this happened and I don't even know why this has happened. I have pressure in all my sinus areas but no infection - my post nasal drainage is thick and white.  This has started to effect my lungs as well - probably from all the post nasal drainage going down into my lungs at night.  If you had anything that has helped you would you please let me know - I am so desperate. and very hopeless .  It sure has changed my life and made me a different person and I don't like how I have changed from this .  sorry so long - I just don't know of anyone with vasomotr rhinits - and I feel all alone with this rotten problem.
by Susie76R, Jun 22, 2008
I have similar symptoms. After seeing a General Practitioner a couple of times I was referred to an ENT consultant who told me there was no surgical option and I should just carry on using sprays - although they say not to use them for more than 7 days and I think they need to be used on and off to stay effective. Since then I've researched and discovered there are surgical procedures but the better websites I've read say that the effect is rarely forever. However I've decided to go back and enquire about the procedure because I haven't woken up feeling well for months, maybe years now and I'm sure it's because of the trouble I have breathing when lying down. I have noticed that my turbinates "deflate" when I'm moving - so maybe it's not food that can trigger relief but just the moving about during preparation of a meal. Doesn't help us get a decent night's sleep unfortunately.
by Susie76R, Jun 22, 2008
Ouch. I've just discovered some uncomfortable new information on wikipedia of all places. This looks like a well researched entry but the news is not all that good : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_nose_syndrome

It explains a lot about why we feel the way we do but also highlights the risks of surgery - perhaps why some doctors don't encourage it?

Essentially properly working turbinates are extremely important and taking them away can make our symptoms worse. Suggests conservative surgery or non surgical options although I've tried some and they haven't worked for me.