Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Eustachian Tube or Menieres

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Eustachian Tube or Menieres

Hello All-
I apologize before hand for the length of this post. I figure the more info I include, the better off I am.
For as long as I can remember (since age 5 or even before) I have suffered from balance issues. I was frequently treated for what was thought to be ear/sinus infections as a child. As an adult I continue to have these problems, however my MD says I have no infections. I saw an ENT who said I had a "Menieres like" condition and offered me a diuretic and a "good luck". I have this problem throught out the year from time to time but particularly seem to suffer in the winter. I was tested for allergies and was told I have absolutely no allergies. My symptoms in order of degree of annoyance: an off balance/car sick/light headed feeling. I have NEVER had an episode of spinning, or any type of violent dizziness/drop attack. I also have fullness/clogged feeling in my ears along with ear pain, particularly the right one. Often a post nasal kind of lump in the back of my throat with a constant feeling of not being able to swallow what is there or clear my throat. I seem to be a bit light sensitive and sound sensitive with it as well. Brain fog is another big issue that I have. The only time I seem to have hearing loss is when my ears are "clogged", hearing seems to return to normal when the symptoms resolve.
I do not think i have menieres. I beleive I have some type of Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. From everything that I read about Menieres, people have severe vertigo/spinning that progressively gets worse as well as hearing loss. I have suffered with this since childhood and have had no hearing loss. I do believe I have some kind of Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. I have tried nasal steriods but they seem to make me more congested. Clariton D seems to help a slight bit but that may be in my head. I am wondering about having tubes put in my ears and whether this may be something that may help me. This is the second year in a row that I have suffered for the whole month of December so far, it usually seems to get better in the spring although this may just be coincidence. I am at my wits end and feel like giving up sometimes although this is not an option. I'm frightened that I may have to live the rest of my life like this with no answers and nothing to help. I know I have anxiety that occurs when I get this but I dont know how anyone wouldnt be anxious.
Any help or advice that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. I wish you all good health and a Merry Christmas!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. But if your symptoms of dizziness, headaches, lightheadedness, are relieved by eating something, indicate that you might be having episodes of hypoglycemia. Inadequate sleep can also cause tiredness, fatigue and dizziness. Other causes for these symptoms are inner ear infections; brain disorders heart problems, fever, stress, low blood pressure and anxiety. Discuss these options with your doctor when you happen to meet him next time.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.