Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Eustachian Tube or Menieres
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Eustachian Tube or Menieres

Hello All-
I apologize before hand for the length of this post. I figure the more info I include, the better off I am.
For as long as I can remember (since age 5 or even before) I have suffered from balance issues. I was frequently treated for what was thought to be ear/sinus infections as a child. As an adult I continue to have these problems, however my MD says I have no infections. I saw an ENT who said I had a "Menieres like" condition and offered me a diuretic and a "good luck". I have this problem throught out the year from time to time but particularly seem to suffer in the winter. I was tested for allergies and was told I have absolutely no allergies. My symptoms in order of degree of annoyance: an off balance/car sick/light headed feeling. I have NEVER had an episode of spinning, or any type of violent dizziness/drop attack. I also have fullness/clogged feeling in my ears along with ear pain, particularly the right one. Often a post nasal kind of lump in the back of my throat with a constant feeling of not being able to swallow what is there or clear my throat. I seem to be a bit light sensitive and sound sensitive with it as well. Brain fog is another big issue that I have. The only time I seem to have hearing loss is when my ears are "clogged", hearing seems to return to normal when the symptoms resolve.
I do not think i have menieres. I beleive I have some type of Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. From everything that I read about Menieres, people have severe vertigo/spinning that progressively gets worse as well as hearing loss. I have suffered with this since childhood and have had no hearing loss. I do believe I have some kind of Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. I have tried nasal steriods but they seem to make me more congested. Clariton D seems to help a slight bit but that may be in my head. I am wondering about having tubes put in my ears and whether this may be something that may help me. This is the second year in a row that I have suffered for the whole month of December so far, it usually seems to get better in the spring although this may just be coincidence. I am at my wits end and feel like giving up sometimes although this is not an option. I'm frightened that I may have to live the rest of my life like this with no answers and nothing to help. I know I have anxiety that occurs when I get this but I dont know how anyone wouldnt be anxious.
Any help or advice that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. I wish you all good health and a Merry Christmas!