Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Eustachian tube dysfunction - what are the symptoms?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Is it dizziness? I usually almost always feel like i'm on a boat... it's not a dizziness, but rather balance type just like i'm on a boat... my head always feels like it is full type feels weird... ears plugged usually too... my head almost feels like it is full of mud or something not unable to concentrate or anything but just feels awkward...
Thank you. Best Regards, Megan.

Don't know if this will help, but my uncle has many of the same symptoms you've described and he was finally diagnosed with Meniere's Disease.  I found this description on the web:

M

I can relate to what your going through.  I have felt off balance and weird like for 5 weeks now.  My dr. checked my ears and they seem ok and has me taking decongestants.  It's driving me crazy and I suppose making me nervous that it might be something worse than ear problems.  It's hard because I don't want to drive or actually go anywhere in fear that I might faint one of these times.  My dr. told me to "hang in there" and tell myself that all is ok and that it will take it's course and I'll feel better soon.. UGGG!! when is soon.  I have taken Advil Cold and Sinus and that sometimes makes me feel a bit better for a while.  If you come up with any ideas on how to feel better, let me know. If there is anybody out there who has these same symptoms and has "lived" through it.. lol.  Tell me how long it took..YIKES!
I seriously have been dizzy/off balance for nearly 3 years now!!!  I've had it!  I've seen my ENT six times and my family physician several times regarding this issue and I've also had several heart tests done.  AND I just had a miserable dizziness test done a couple of weeks ago.  All tests show normal.  Both doctors say it's "nothing" and I'm on Nasacort, which doesn't do a darn thing. What the hell is causing my dizziness???  If I had to guess, I believe it has something to do with my ears and eustation tube...my right ear is always feeling funny:  clogged, popping, pain, etc.  I have been living with dizziness/feelings of off balance for so long that it's eating away at me. I'll need to be put on some anxiety medication just because it's driving me insane.  I really hate that the doctors have seen me several times about this issue, they know how bad it's killing me, and yet they continue to act like no big deal and that there is nothing wrong with me.  WELL, It's NOT normal to feel off balance every other day!!!  Any suggestions or comments???
I've been having the very same conditions , mine comes and goes ,and I have had some MAJOR dizzy spells (early on ) where I felt like I just got off a super fats merry go round(talk about panic attack !. I have had some good results from bouncing up and down on one of those big exersize balls . I also have been worried to death ,I have had this for over 4 months now ,,I wake up in a panic because my head feels like it plugged with cotton .and my right ear feels tons of pressure and some times pain. I tell myself something had to be badly wrong ,,but I think the worry is just causing me panic and that it's self it making me sick ! try that ball thing , when I bounce I can feel it pulling at my sinuses, and then later I can feel it drain down the back of my throat which means it on the move ! I have NOT taken any meds at all for this ,I'm just trying to get rid of it naturally. one good thing is ,,look at what most of the posted problems are about on here lately . sinus problems ear nose and throat. I think it's a time of the year thing too . Pam
I have had clogged ears since I was 7. Been dizzy since 18 ( like walking on a trampoline)
  For the last 10 years ( I am now 43) I have had frequent ear aches and get very off balance and fall against the wall as I walk thru the house. I don't realize I am falling until I hit the wall.
  Could be MdDS which there is no known cure for. http://www.mdds.org.uk/
  My bp is good, as is my blood sugar and my ears are "perfect" according to all doctors I have been too.
I can't concentrate and am often tired.
Manda:  I am coming up on 2 years with this.  I have had MRI, ENG, EEG and other tests.  Everything is normal but I went to a eye doctor to look at nerves in the eye.  He told me to take the sudafed that you get behind the counter because he also had the same feelings years ago and after going from doctor to doctor and then finally almost being thrown out I guess maybe he found that it was his sinus'.  I recently was sent to have allergy testing done.  I have severe allergies to dust mites and I am now getting allergy shots.  Also the doctor had a CT scan done which showed maybe chronic sinusitus.  I have started taking three-lac.  I have again started getting little balls out of my throat which have had happen for years but my ear doctor says is not normal.  I hope this is showing that whatever is bunched up in there is starting to come out.  I recently found another blog from the Jewish Medical ? that said sometimes swelling in the sinus' can put pressure on things and make you feel off balance.  A sinus rinse can be used with a steriod nose spray from your doctor to help get the swelling down once allergies are under control and all infection is down.  I am still waiting for that to happen but it has only been 3 months since I have started the allergy shots.  The web site also says that change in barametic pressure can affect it which I have noticed also.
I too have feelings of being off balance while walking (feelings of side to side or being pushed or pulled).  I never stumble and I can walk a straight line but my balance is not as good as it should be(I have also had to do physicall therapy so that is why I know that.)  Sometimes if my right ear is relaxed or, I am relaxed because I am not at work or somewhere in public where I may feel worse because yes, it very easy to panic and think am I going to pass out, my right ear may make a swish or crunch sound which the ent says sounds normal (I didn't have it for 34 years.  I don't think it is normal.  I also had a nurologist say yes the ears popping is normal because it is them opening up.  At that I felt like I am not a child I have also had my ears pop or equlize for 34 years and this is different.)  Anyway back to the subject.  Sinustius may not completly close off your head but the swelling and infection make it drain slow so I would imagine can make it back up.  I know God can take this from me at any time but I also He can give me the strenth to stand up with it.  I hope this is a little comfort to anyone who reads it even though I am not cured I do understand how everyone feels and that is worth a lot to know someone out there knows that.
Megan:  I am coming up on 2 years with this.  I have had MRI, ENG, EEG and other tests.  Everything is normal but I went to a eye doctor to look at nerves in the eye.  He told me to take the sudafed that you get behind the counter because he also had the same feelings years ago and after going from doctor to doctor and then finally almost being thrown out I guess maybe he found that it was his sinus'.  I recently was sent to have allergy testing done.  I have severe allergies to dust mites and I am now getting allergy shots.  Also the doctor had a CT scan done which showed maybe chronic sinusitus.  I have started taking three-lac.  I have again started getting little balls out of my throat which have had happen for years but my ear doctor says is not normal.  I hope this is showing that whatever is bunched up in there is starting to come out.  I recently found another blog from the Jewish Medical ? that said sometimes swelling in the sinus' can put pressure on things and make you feel off balance.  A sinus rinse can be used with a steriod nose spray from your doctor to help get the swelling down once allergies are under control and all infection is down.  I am still waiting for that to happen but it has only been 3 months since I have started the allergy shots.  The web site also says that change in barametic pressure can affect it which I have noticed also.
I'm a 54 year old female, never had any allergy problems or health issues.  In Feb this year I got a head cold.  It never subsided, just felt like my head was going to explode with pressure.  Drs acted like I was a hypo or something.  At this age they want to blame everything on Menopause.  Thought I was losing my hearing.  Ended up with a severe ear ache/infection.  Was on steroids, antibiotics, ear drops, & pain medicine.  Finally after 3 days I chucked all medicines, went to ENT who told me everything appeared to be fine, just bad ear infection.  Now 5 months later and my ears still pop and plug up.  In the evenings especially my ears/head feels like I'm going up in an airplane or over a mountain.  So weird, but I'm really healthy otherwise, so am just grateful to not have any worse symptoms.  If anyone ever figures out what causes this won't we all be grateful?  I have started going to a Chiropractor for neck and arm issues.  He thinks I may have gotten a ruptured ear drum, but still should have healed by now.
I should also mention that I have never had any health problems, yes I get seasonal allergies, but they have been fine lately. My nose does not feel plugged at all.  This happened to me once before after flying, and ruined my vacation..it lasted for 3 weeks.  However, I can't figure out what would have brought this on.
Hi There,
I  can totally relate.  I have felt like my ears are plugged and terrible unbalance for over 2 weeks.  It is extremely worrysome and makes me really sad.  My doctor says it is my sinuses, but taking sudafed just makes it worse, and adds dizziness to the equation.   There has got to be some answer out there, it is awful not knowing how much longer it will last.  I try my best to still go out and have fun, but I feel nauseous and sad all of the time due to feeling like I am walking on a trampoline.  I can't imagine living my life like this for any extended amount of time.  Every day I wake up exhausted dreading another day like this.  Please help!! I just want to feel normal again.
I have had horrible 'echo's' when I talk, pressure, popping in both when I'm lying down, sometimes can't tolerate even speaking or loud noises, it makes you miserable, but just wanted to say, the more you focus on it the worse it gets. If all is structurally ok, then don't worry with medications, they do nothing. It helps to keep a log book of which days are worse than others, because I have a sneaky suspicion that some foods may not help with sinus (I think there's a link there) problems. Often there is a 'mild' infammation or whatever in the back of the sinus and throat etc. If somedays are good, then why do they go bad? who knows. I have just made the connection between red wine and my heart palpitations, another thing I've had to deal with. its the preservative sulphur dioxide or something, but only from keeping logs. I'm going to try this with my ears (keeping a food record) I found it helps just accepting and getting on with things, and just accepting the bad days. It is helpful to have a checkup to find out if you dont have bone/drum/nerve problems. My son has bad sinus infections, you  may need antibiotics, but when they are well, just saline spray keeps them that way.
I'm a 22 year college student who, up until december 2006, worked out very hard.  I was in excellent shape and one day my heart flipped out at the gym.  Looking back i realized that i had been feeling weird for quite sometime before that; like extremely fatigued.  I had a host of tests done on my heart and all that jazz and everything comes back normal and they say it's just anxiety.  Well it's almost 8 months later and i'm always off balance, headaches, clogged ears, weird sensations in body, etc.. and they still cannot find anything wrong.  However, i have not been sent to an ENT and i think that this is something that should be done.  It is good to read that some of you are having the same sort of thing because at times i feel like i'm going crazy and nobody is listening.  Anyway, I hope everything gets better for everyone and any input would be much appreciated.  Thank you and God bless...
Wow - I have had this on and off for the last 5 or 6 years.  I thought I was crazy too.  I get pretty bad allergies and for a while I never put the 2 together. I went through the whole testing procedures etc. and doing the drunk test.  My doctor then prescribed a decongestant and it seemed to clear it up. I actually woke up this morning with some dizziness after not having it for years - but I can feel my allergies have kicked in as well.  So now I have to take this decongestant again.  I also found (and maybe this is psychological or something) that working out (sitting down of course) seems to help as well.
Hi there, just had to join this forum to tell you all what I have been through and what may .... be the cause of a lot of your problems.. Early this year i started getting this terrible feeling of pressure in my ears, sometimes upper chest, shocking headaches, general feeling of being unwell, upset stomach, tighgnes around the throat, sometimes a stabbing pain in my neck...no energy, just wanted to put my head down all the time. I have had all the blood tests done, a calotted (not sure how to spell) vein test etc etc. Been on antibiotics for sinus for nearly 9 weeks. I started to think about it again the other day was there anything that i had changed back when all this began and I came up with one product. A cheap cask wine. When i started to investgate i came up with an additive 220 Sulphur dioxide. Have a look at web page http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/index.htm#buttons and check out the list of things we should not put in our bodies. I am off to the super market to check that my old wine has a different one in it to confirm my suspisions. I havnt had a glass of wine for a few days now and i feel normal at the moment. It may not be this particular additive but it could be another one or several you are responding too. I really hope this may help some of you. Cheers from Australia
I've had all the problems above and then found an awesome ENT doctor who actually listened and found that my eustation tubes were not functioning.  ENT doctor put in eustation tubes (like little kids often have) in my ears and have helped a lot.  

Good luck to all - I know this can make you mental after a while.
The first symptom I had was getting dizzy after getting off an elevator. This went on for weeks. Then I began experiencing ear fullness, occasional pain, and almost constant dizziness. About the same time I started experiencing anxiety attacks. I have been "disconnected" it seems...like I'm in a daze. I thought that maybe I was depressed, but know I'm starting to think all of these symptoms are related. I am just starting the nasal washes. Hope it helps. I would like to get my life back.
I too am feeling fullness in the ear, pressure,  popping, I went to my doctor and he said it was etd I have been researching this on the net to figure out what everyone else is doing to heal this, it's making me anxious and I can't relax and sleeping very little 3 or 4 hours a day I'm taking a homeopathic decongestants, flonase, I'm going to check out the website the previous person said about food additives see what else I can eliminate from my diet.  
i have the same symptoms. dizziness. riding a boat feeling, crackling ears, sinus pressure without pain, ear pressure and popping. sometimes it feels like the floor drops a little as im walking. its caused me nonstop anxiety for a little over a year now. i went to a doctor and got diagnosed with allergic rhinitis. i took meds until it was time for the pseudoephedrine. one pill and i had enough. it made me feel horrible and really nervous. im still dizzy  but i think the nasonex and clarinex were starting to help. no one seems to care about it because its not happening to them. im pretty sure it must be allergies but it feels so odd that i keep worrying im dying of something undiagnosed
Vertigo and head pressure, odd feeling in chest, ache in neck
by twintwo, 5 minutes ago
Tags: feeling, pressure, head, throat, neck, thyroid, thryroid antibodies, thryoiditis, burning, estrodiol, hormones, lungs, ODD, meniere's, Heart
I have the similar symptoms, it's such an odd feeling, almost like having breathed in hot air or smoke. From middle of neck to sternum, mine has been going on for months.  I've had an EKG, heart stress test, 24 heart monitor and an echocardiogram.  All tests present themselves as normal.  I've had tinnitus in my left ear for three years and I've been having non-spinning vertigo since Sept 07, - my vertigo feels like I'm tilting / tipping, dipping / lifting and is constant and everyday - I do not have nausea, however, thank goodness!  I also have tremendous head pressure from the base of my skull, my ears feel full and there's pressure behind my eyes to the top of my head (not a headache).  I've been tested for Meniere's disease but hearing tests show I have no hearing loss.  I'm scheduled to have full vestibular tests done in April at University Med Cntr.  I recently had my thyroid levels tested, my TSH, T3 and T4 were low but within the normal range.  My thyroid antibodies were at 2332.0 - yes! - two thousand three hundred thirty two!  Thyroid antibodies should be between 0.0 - 35.0.  I've been on 5 mcg of Cytomil and 25 mcg of Synthroid for 1 week now.  TSH - 2.762, T4 - 1.28, T3 - 3.4.  I just feel awful - today the head pressure is very intense, my tilting /tipping vertigo is constant and the odd burning feeling in chest/throat has me very concerned.  More blood tests next week to see how thyroid hormones are, or are not, helping.  I just turned fifty and my estrodiol levels at 14 days in my cycle were 7.0 and my FSH Serum were 51.6.  My periods are irregular around 56 days between.  I'm also high risk for osteoporosis and 2 weeks ago was prescribed to take 50,000 IU of vitamin D, 1 pill every 3.5 days for two weeks and then 1 - 50 MU of Vit-D every 7 days.  I've been off work for 3 weeks now because I'm feeling so unstable and so frightened.  Mammogram was clear, cervical polyp removed 6 weeks ago, return to complete pap test in 3 days on 03/4/08, hopefully all will be okay.  Have not yet had a colonoscopy.  I've always been very healthy and I'm a very upbeat and positive person, until last Sept when I started to feel so poorly.  Could high Thyroid antibodies be causing all this?  I've never been on thyroid hormone before, but have had many large lumpy nodules on my thyroid for more than 10 years!  I just want to feel better so I can get back to work.
Greetings,

I have had most of the symptoms you all have had. I went through all the testing, ENT, MRI, CAT-scan, blood-work, allergy testing, ENG. All the tests were negative and still I had the dizzy sensations, which led to a lot of anxiety. No doctors were able to help and I refused to go on a life of medications just to cover up the symptoms and not find the cause. After exhaustive searching I stumbled upon a doctor in Michigan that was having success treating people with my/our symptoms. There is a condition known as "vertical heterophoria syndrome" and if you type that into a google search, the first site from the vision specialists of Birmingham were the ones who helped me. Check out the symptoms and the testimonials and see if that describes you. It is worthy of note, that there are only three specialists in North America who can diagnose and treat this condition. Good Luck and prompt me, if you would like more information on my experience.

lognum
I to had alot of your symtoms (symptoms) and i had ct scan they found pineal cyst. but they insisted this was not the cause they did a follow up mri 1 year later to show it wasnt growing in size. i still get dizzy from time to time mainly when i look down of from left to right. i do get prob's at night more so and they suspected minears , i was treated with no affect. i do belive stress is a facter the more your mind wonders the more you worrie which can also make you dizzy lack of sleep ect. All i can surggest is start with life style changes ie i lost wieght from 22 stone to 16 1/2 stone i work less hours, eat better foods and try a relaxing hobbie, you never know it might work and if you still get problems atleast you can go to your doctor and say i have made positive improvments to my life and i still dont feel well. good luck  
my symptoms are not being able to pop my ear for long periods of time, and when I am able to I can feel it closing right back up again, dissiness (which is the worst part) and pressure of the ear. I am going ion tomorrow to have my tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) removed in hopes it will help my ear problem. I am still debating weither to get ear tubes put in or not. There are not too many cases of adults getting them usually only kids. I have only found 3 or  4 cases on the internet  of adults having success with ear tubes and a whole bunch of other people who had problems with them. So I was hoping you all could get back to me on weither you have had your tonsils/adenoids removed? I really think this might be the cause Of my problems cause there so large and get infections a lot, I think maybe all that bacteria is getting in my eustachian tube and causeing problems beauce I have never had ear problems in my life till this whole last year and  I am 23 years old. I don't understand why it takes so long to get an answer about ears it has taking me 1 year and countless doctors I am convinced none of them care or know much about what they are talking about.  My curent ENT thinks I have the early stages of Meniere's Disease but I completely disagree I do not have vertigo I have dissiness there is a big difference. I also Don't have roaring noise's or other load sounds.  All my symptoms match up To my eustachain tube not working properly. Hope some one responds to me about tonsils and adenoids (adenoids). I'll post if this works for me or not!-katie
I am a 37 year old female and I read twintwo's comment and I have had every symptom she has described and then some.  Mine started 3 years ago and I just "lived" with it (dizzy, feeling of leaning to one side, preasure behind eyes and top of head, chest burning and tightness, difficulty swallowing, the feeling that my arms and legs are not really attached even though I can see them, panic attacks, ears blocked all the time)  I never had sinus problems in my life and one day I was just standing against a wall minding my own business and all of a sudden I felt like I was on free fall at six flags but I was standing completely still.  I had some preasure around my eyes and bridge of my nose  and was feeling off balance so went to my gp, she put me on levequin and all was well in about a week.  This was August of 05.  In September of 05 I had to have a full hysterectomy because of a 10cm cyst and loads of endometrosis.  Recovered from that in about 6-8 weeks and the off balance started again.  I thought sinus infection so went to gp again, more meds, in fact about 4 rounds of meds which did nothing.  She prescribed meclezine for dizziness which did nothing.  So over the course of the next  year I just decided to live with it.  I had been to an ENT who treated me like I was an idiot and thats when I just gave up on it.  The symptoms progressively got worse, ears, off balance, preasure in my head and chest.  I literaly thought I was dying.  I had my first panic attack on August 13, 2006 while I was driving to the childrens hospital where my niece was who had luekemia.  I will never forget it.  After that I thought I have to do something or I'm going to die.  So went back to my gp with 2 page I had written of every symptom I had whether it was related to each other or not.  She believes its all down to stress because of my niece, my husband who also had luekemia (we lost my niece) and then the physical stress of my hysterectomy.  I was even scaring my husband because I never stress to that extreme.  I told my gp whatever you think just please do something.  She put me on Klonopin (generic chlonozepam) 1 mg at bedtime.  I took it that night and I couldn't believe the difference.  All my symptoms were gone.  That has been nearly a year now and I recently had to up the dose a little because I was getting symptomatic again.  All I knew is I didn't want another panic attack.  I think I may had grown a little resistance to it and thats why we had to up the dose.  I am much better now.  Still pop my ears all the time.  Nearly every time I swallow they pop and riding in the car is like pop fest!  Now my gp says stress but I have been reading about menieres disease and that sure sounds like what I have.  And coincidently, the drug I'm on is one of the drugs they use to treat the symptoms.  My grandmother was on what she called her "dizzy pills" for years and my Dad has boughts with this from time to time and had it real bad for about a year in his 30's.  Now I see a little connection there.  And I hear my daughter complain about being dizzy from time to time but she's 13 and her thoughts are more on boys.  I just wanted to put my story out there to let you know that there is some hope and even though you feel like your going to die, your not.  Though there were times I had wished I would die so I didn't have to deal with it anymore.  But good luck to everyone with this and don't let it get you down, there is hope.
About five years ago I flew to Vegas and it took a couple days after landing for my ears to balance out the pressure. The return flight home was a different story.  In the middle of flight I instantly felt enourmous pressure in my right ear.  It was so painful it brought tears to my eyes.  I tried to pop it but that was even more painful.  Since then I've been suffering from ETD in both ears and it's basically ruining my life.  

Sometimes it's better than others but it mainly effects me when I'm eating or sleeping because every time I swallow I get a crunching or popping sound along with different air pressure in each ear.  I can't seem to enjoy a good meal or get a good night sleep which are two of my favorite things to do.  I also don't think I'll ever be able to fly ever again because of the extreme pain.

I already suffer from anxiety and depression to begin with so this definately isn't helping.  If I didn't have a family who really loved me I would probably have taken my own life by now.  I know that is the cowardly way out but it's just hard to find joy in my life with my condition.

I've been to a couple different ENT's and they prescribe me medication, steroids, nasal spray and they don't seem to work very well.  I've also heard about people getting tubes in their ears only to have them fall out and puncture an ear drum or cause an ear infection.  At one time I thought about trying ear candling but later discovered that it's actually dangerous and doesn't work anyway.

So I guess I just try to deal with it the best I can and hope that someday they'll find a cure.  Just reading that I'm not the only one suffering from this is refreshing although I wish none of us had to suffer from this condition.
Dont have so much dizziness, but have had a blockage, pressure in my left ear now for 2 months, Its driving me crazy.  Sometimes in the morning i feel it is slightly easier, and becomes more blocked after an hour or so.......is this a normal symptom ????  I was diagnosed with ETD maybe a month ago after seeing about 6 doctors !!!!  No one seems to have much idea, or care !!!  First I had antibiotic ear drops, did nothing, then antibiotics then nasonex and clariten........I stopped everything as nothing changed !!!  Now trying Sudafed by myself......as the doctors don't seem to care less !!!   How long can this last for????  Any ideas on how to clear these tubes out ?????Help Me !!!!!!!!!!  I hope some of you are feeling better by now !!!!!  And can let us "ill people " know, that you can recover !!!!  Thanks
I have had had everything you guys are explaining. Its been 7 months now of nonstop pain and helplessness. The only place I can get relief is when Im flying! Does that make sense at all? I dont think so.
i am 20 years old and i've been "sick" off and on for nearly a year now. I'm on medicine for acid reflux and also for asthma. But one problem i've had that has never really been addressed or or relieved is my problems with dizziness.  I don't get extreme dizziness.. just slightly. and my ears feel like they're stopped up and never get any relief. when i'm sitting in class my head starts to feel all weird and i feel like i have to hold it up. (like resting my chin on my hand) i'm not really sure what it's all about. maybe just anxiety b/c of the other health issues?  
Research, "histamine intolerance" and  "histamine free diet". You will find a lot of answers there.

Maurice
dont think histamine intolerance has anything to do with this ???
No neither did I, till you find out what histamine actually does inside your system. The H1 receptors stimulate motion sickness to heart palpatations and so on. Type in "Goldbaum histamine" into a google search. Read his story and you will see how it relates. I can tell you first hand, how it has saved my sanity. Why do you think most ENT's ask you to be off antihistamines for two to three days before you see them. I have tried everything, from prism lenses for disequilibrium (didn't work), to getting tested for semi-circular canal dehiscience. The "only" thing that worked was/is a non-drowsy antihistamine. Do your research, you must help yourself, when doctors can't help you. By the way there was a doctor with my same condition and the same as most of you. She tried the antihistamine approach and is back to her old self. If it works great, if not, at least you tried.

Kind Regards,

Maurice  

Good Luck,

Maurice
I have been suffering from dizziness, unsteadiness, extreme fatigue and worst of all brain fog (the feeling of spaciness or like I am outside of my body) for the past 3 years.  I have been diagnosed with viral labrynthitis, then menieres disease and then back to labrythitis.  I've had MRIs, CAT scan, blood tests all normal.  I couldn't work for almost a year and have just come off an ok year but the systems have been back with a vengence the past 6-8 weeks.  I can't work and can barely function throughout the day.  I have allergies and have been taking shots for them for the past 2 years.  The last shot sent me to the place I am now but that was 2 months ago.  My allergist seems unconcerned.  I have also been seeing an upper cervical doctor who believes that most alignments are caused by the 1st two vertibrae being out of alignment.  I have also been treated by an ear (not ENT, just ear) doctor.  They all think each other is wrong.  So, frustrating.  Does anyopne have my same symptoms and have you found any success in diagnoses and treatment
Was just about to give up all hope, when last night (I think and Pray !!) everything suddenly cleared through !!  I'm telling you this as you never hear on these forums that anyone has recovered, thought this would give some hope !!

My ETD lasted around 3 months, although probably 6.  I was prescribed 6 lots of antibiotics and saw 6 doctors, I've been taking Dexa-Rhinaspray for over a month, and 15 days of  Prezolon.  My ENT said if this didn't work she would cut the eardrum.  Also tried all the 'manoeuvres' to push the air in to the middle ear.

I noticed that I had a cotton wool / crunchy snow sound if I pushed below my ear at end of jaw bone.  I guess this was the 'glue', which has gone.  What a relief, I hope you all get better soon
for 4 years i have had ear problems they plug up they pop and snap they go out on me  i feel dizzy and off almost like i'm in a dream world i feel sick from it  i also get bad pressure in them i went and seen many doctors they all threw pill at me and gave me steriod injections or nasal ones nothing seemed to work well yesterday i went to the ent and he said i had eustationtube dysfuction and now i'm going to have tubes put in m y ears so i'm praying and hoping so much that will ive me my life back because i tell ya all my life has been a nightmare the past 4 years
Please, tell me about your symptoms and successes, mine is  a long story so I won't drain you with all the details. My head had a 19 1/2ft fall landing sideways on my ear. I know there are other various diagnosed problems. I find no relief for my vision ( eye sometimes pulls, shakes, and/or spins), they diagnosed vertigo. I also have severe tinnitus. I'm in the hands of a team of specialists( neuro, opt,thera, etc...). How do you feel and how do you find PEACE?
It really sounds like most of you suffer from menieres disease. I had about a year of relief taking Hydroclorothiazide but that has since stopped being as effective. I notice that exercise,lots of water and reducing salt makes a huge difference. Sometimes the tinnitis can be real real bad in my right ear and the area feels "warm". I haven't had any huge episodes in about a year but as the diruretic pill wears off i'm getting mini episodes that give me slight nausea and a pounding headache.
My 9 year old daughter has had 4 sets of ear tubes, a T&A, brain stem testing and allergy testing.  As soon as the tubes come out she has an infection which results in her eardrum perforating.  She is now complaining of her ears feeling stuffy, dizziness, and unable to hear certain sounds.  I don't know where to turn to, the ENT says no more tubes, the pediatrician is at a loss.  Any suggestions?
Wow...I have the same with the Stress and Anxiety. I just moved from San Diego,Ca to Nebraska. The events leading up to the arrival dates were more stress than I ever had. I got sick one day and slept all day. The ear "stuffines kicked in 3 days later. Ive been having panick attacks everytime I go to the store but they have gotten better. The ony thing NOT better are my darn ears! Local ENT gave me nothing to go on.
I normally go to a Naturopath in California and always had better treatment and diagnosis. I recommend going to a Dr. of Naturopathy. Make sure credentials are there of course. So far though...no help. I do like the anxiety treatment. Thats an easy one to start with. Keep the tips coming.
I have had this Meneries Diease on and off for 10 years. I had 7 years with no issues. You have to be faithful to what works for you, stay healthy. I had a fever a week ago and then my ear started acting up then got imbalance with no spinning, only had that once. The condition can be viral. I remember when it first started and it was over a really bad cough and the ear was never the same. Stress will make it worse. I have learend to live with it and the reduce hearing. It will be around for a few months and then leave, you have to understand what causes it triggers. If you're over weight it will give you more problems. Get off the salt and eat healthy, here is what helps a good portion of the time. Take a strong Multi Vitamin, with larger doses of calcium, you need to strengthen the bone in your ear, take grape seed extract it helps with blood flow. It is very frustrating but you need to have a postive outlook, don't let it beat you. Just remember if your imbalnce is off. Sit in a chair straight up, don't move until you feel your head clearing up or sit in your bed, turn on the TV and just stay still in the bed sitting up, do not lay down; what usually happens is it will make it worse. In the morning you may feel your ear more plugged up just give it time to equal out, go for a walk get your heart going. The more you think about the worse the anixitey becomes. (Yes my spelling stinks)
Stay positive, it ***** but stay on a plan that works for you, there is really nothing we can do, you just need to tell your brian to make it better. One last thing, aniexty attacks cause more fluid which cause much more issues. Good luck
i have been feeling off for over 6 months now...it all started when i felt a little off in april and then i got ringing in my ear after playing tennis. i went to the doctors and they said i had fluid in my ear and i had labrthiysis? which freaked me out soo much i was oo afraid i was gunna get vertigo....which i never had. so then i went to an ENT and he said i never could have gotten labrythisi and the doctors would have never been able to diganose it.....soo that made me feel better...but thinking about it made it worse again and i worrried constantly about it. i did et dizzy like spining once when i bent my head over but it would be fine when i brought my head back up but it still scared me...i think that however was more of a neck problem. i am an extreme worrier...and i think my anixety towards all of this has caused it to prolonge itself. i still worry about it today and wonder if it is an ear problem...which i am terrifed if it is...................i went to  a physical therpits b.c my neck was hurting bad and i had headaches and they said my neck was out of wack...soo it also could be casued from that....but im still worried.....but i think its neck and anixety related.....please no ear related??? what do u guys think??? anyone please :(
I had the same problem (dizziness, nausea) for about 9 years now.  In fact, the first time it happened I can remember the exact time and date.  I was at a AAA baseball game in May 1999, just chatting w/ some other friends and all of a sudden it felt like someone just spun my seat around.  I panicked because in March '99 I had a stent put in my heart because of a blockage and the symptoms of THAT problem were almost identical.  Now, here I was, a 20 minute drive on the Interstate to get home and I'm dizzy!  I went to the ladies' room, put my head down and the dizziness seemed to pass.  I drove home ok, albeit doing the speed limit and staying in the right hand lane, just in case I got dizzy again.  By that night I was alright.  The next time it happened, a few days later, I went to my family doc and he prescribed some meds.  Actually I went 3x each time trying different Rx's.  Nothing worked, except the Flonase he prescribed.   THAT seemed to help a bit.  So, I kept taking the Flonase and then I remembered when I had a severe bout w/ bronchitis years ago, he prescribed Guafenesin which he said will unblock my eustachian tubes (I couldn't even hear the phone ringing in the next room...and I have DOG ears as my husband says!).  The Rx for that is expensive but it WORKED!  The first time I took the dose (I believe it was 1 tsp.), opened the tubes within 2 hours!  He told me that, rather than getting the expensive Rx for the guafenesin, use the Robitussin Guafenesin.  So, between THAT AND the Flonase, I've been keeping that blocked feeling AND the dizziness at bay.  I ALWAYS have the Robitussin G. on hand, at least 2 bottles of it  I've gotten away from the Flonase.  But, I know what you all mean re. the dizziness and 'squishy' feeling near your ears.  I looked up salivary glands on google and didn't realize the ones in front of the ears are about the size of you PALM!  Anyway, I've just been getting over a sinus cold and just yesterday morning woke up w/ my left ear blocked!  Trying my Robitussin G. remedy and taking CVS brand of the Severe Sinus/Cold Remedy isn't working.  Thus, I googled 'natural remedies for opening up the eustachian tubes'.  Haven't found anything that I'd like to try yet.  I have no pain, just the feeling like I'm talking w/ a steel pot over my head!  I hope my story and remedy helps someone out there.  My sister in NJ had the same problem as did my neighbor so I can't find any 'pattern' for it.  MAYBE the weather, but even THAT doesn't always seem to be the case.  
Be well all,
Fran B., in Parsons, PA
Hi all, I have had all these symptoms on and off going on now for about 20 years (currently 34) dizziness this constant ringing in my right ear feeling of fullness, troubles equalizing, sensitive to environmental pressure changes, headaches etc etc.. It was driving me insane to the point that I almost want to give up completely.. After some extensive research with 3 ENT specialist lots and lots of money spent on MRI’s, CT scan, all kinds of drugs, and all the hearing tests on earth with the only answer being Meniere’s, I’ve decided to jump on the net and do some research of my own and I think I have come up with the answer. I believe that these symptoms are caused by the “Jaw”, that’s right the jaw… The thing that gave it away for my case was that I was having some serious problems with my back teeth with grinding them back to the point where I had to have both of these teeth rebuild and root canal to fix them.. It was something that my dentists said that made me look as this with different eyes other than medical, he said that the jaw and ears are linked together and that maybe my problems were due to the nerves in my teeth. After some searching around I found quite a lot of information about how the jaw is actual connected to your ear drum and Eustachian tubes and how it can cause all the above symptoms and I believe that I have a compressed disc in the right side of my jaw. If I move my jaw around enough into extreme positions I can almost get rid of the noise in my ear completely. Well I’m off to see my doctor to see if I can get a referral to someone that can fix this.. I will post again to let you know the results. If you want to research this yourself, look up, “ringing in ears TMJ” on the net.. I hope this helps all of you because I know exactly what you are going through!!!!! Matt H.
I'm 35 years old and have been living with dizziness, tinnitus, a feeling of fullness in my head, and problems concentrating most of my life.  I too would like to take the bull by the horns and finally get some relief.  First off, I have noticed that eating the right kinds of foods and taking vitamins helps the concentration issue.  My jaw clicks and I think that may have something to do with it.  I have been diagnosed with a fistula disorder, then meniere's disease, than told that it is the result of a virus I may have contracted when I was younger.  It seems that my inner ear organs were damaged and that I learned to rely on my eyesight for balance.  I am not happy with this diagnosis either.  I had to have tubes in my ear when I was younger and I have a sneaking suspicion that my eustachian tubes and jaw are the issues.  We should take anything we can to keep our ears drained to help with our balance.  And then there is the Epley Maneuver which has been proven to help balance by positioning the neck in ways that open up the eustachian tube and free any blockage.  You tube it everyone.  I think this might be the answer for a lot of us.  We may just have blockages which require the Epley Manuever.
Has anyone ever suspected that mold could be some of the causes of this problem?
mold yes. I have had similar symptoms for over a year. My bathroom flooded due to a busted toilet valve in Sept 08, the water leaked to the basement and into my bedroom. The basement and my room started to smell really musty about a month after the flood (even after I cleaned up the water the best i could), and that is when I noticed sinus congestion, wheezing, extreme fatigue, had my first panic attack, became depressed, migraines, clogged ears.

Waking up short of breath and basically gasping for air, I did some further investigation. I found black mold under bubbled up paint on the second story.  In the the basement there was fuzzy white mold, patches of other kinds of mold. I went to the ER the night i found the black mold, and the physician told me I just had anxiety and prescribed me ativan.

Since then I have moved out of that apartment, but my sinuses and ears are still clogged. Doctors don't take the mold thing seriously. I've been to at least 6 doctors, including an ENT, and they just say it's this or that and I go home and feel like im crazy.

Anybody else have exposure to mold around the time they noticed their symptoms?
Hello - without getting too much into all the symptoms, I was having dizzyness, an "off-balance" feeling, headaches (specifically above my eyes), pains behind my ears, in my ears, and shooting pains all over my head and rapid heart rate caused by anxiety.  I went to an allergist, oral surgeon, ENT and neurologist.  I also had an MRI, countless blood tests and everything came up clean.  The neurologist sent me on a whim to a vestibular rehabilitation center.  I urge you all who have symptoms like mine that can't seem to be diagnosed, to find one of these near you.  Mine was at Mass General.  I am not completely symptom free, but where I was living at a 4-5 on the dizzyness scale, with severe episodes in the 7-8 range happening 2-3 times a month, I am now living at 0-1 with "severe" episodes at no more than a 3, and it happens only rarely.  And the biggest thing is I now know how to manage the dizziness when it does happen.  

I was diagnosed with cervicogenic vertigo.  In my case its caused by various trigger points and dysfunction in my SCM.  Again, anyone who has dizziness they can't seem to figure out, I urge you to do research  on trigger points, and your SCM (sternocleidomastoid muscle system).  It can cause a ton of problems, including ear pain and dizziness.  Specific exercises, massage and posture correction has done wonders for me.  You don't have to live like this.  

I hope this is helpful.
I went to a physical therapist and they told me the same thing! I cant belive u have it too! I def think its that b/c whenever my neck feels out of wack I get dizzy...and when I massage it and stuff it gets better!
how bad was ur dizziness before u went to therpay? like spinning out of control or can u describe it? I am worried it will never go away....I just want to feel competly better....my shoulder blade also tingles when i am leaning over...I think that has something to do with the SCM muscle too..idk??  and what did they do at the vestibular center? what sort of exercises did they do??
I have been suffering many of the symptons you describe and after reading some responses, think I will be back to my gp and ask to see an ENT specialist.  I have had nothing done except gp looking in my ears (I think!).  I have palpitations and neck /ear pain also and been diagnoised with fybromyalgia which I am not convinced of.
I've been dealing with ear stuffiness, vertigo, dizziness, sinus pain now for over 6 years! It comes and goes and seems to come more when I feel stressed. It has affected me so badly that I've had to take twice the Topral for my heart that I ususally take! If I lie down my ears will clear totally. First I hear the popping sounds and after the third pop they are clear. If I lie on my left side, my left ear is clear and my right is not. If I lie on my right side, the opposite happens. I am now waiting to leave for the dr.'s office for this ONCE again. He sent me to an ENT dr. years ago but he found nothing wrong. I also take a steroid nasal spray. Sometimes it feels like it makes it worse. I empathize with you all. I will let you know what the dr. says. Oh yes, mine seems to be affected more from moving my head up and down or keeping it in a lowered position too long. They tell me it's allergies but none of the medicines work to stop this. They just make it fuzzier. Can't take decongestants because they used too many years ago trying to clear this and it sent my heart into atrial fibrilation! Wish me luck! Oh, I'm 57.
I just posted this on another similar thread, but it seems relevant to this one also. Having read through the thread, my symptoms seem most similar to those of hypoears, though I note her post was 3 years ago and I hope she is cured.

I had a sudden onset of blocked ear and muffled hearing after a particularly vile cold. Visits to doctors and referrals to ENNT specialists all resulted in the same treatment. Nasal spray plus anti-inflammatories plus analgesics. I was in some panic as the condition worsened and i lost about 80% of my hearing. The nasal sprays seemed to have some effect while the cold mucous lingered, though the pills had no discernible effect.Eventually my right ear more or less cleared,although I still seem to have some hearing loss. The left ear remains stubbornly blocked, with a sensation of pressure, and numbness on the left side of my face. Occasional pain, almost no hearing in my left ear.  The condition has persisted for almost a year, with varying levels of discomfort. In the last week I have started taking a Chinese herbal medicine recommended by a Chinese pharmacist friend, more as a "What the hell, why not?" step, rather than having any belief in such things. Since then the blocked and pressure sensation seems to have diminished substantially and i feel more comfortable than I have done for months, although I'm not sure that my hearing has improved all that much, but then it wasn't much good in my left ear anyway. The boomy echo of my own voice seems also to have lessened. I can't be sure that has anything to do with the medicine, it might just be a coincidence or a phase. Unfortunately I can't read or write Chinese, so I can't at the moment post the name of the medicine, but if anyone is interested or thinks it might help, I could try to get a Chinese friend (I live in China) to type the Chinese charhttp://www.medhelp.org/posts/Ear--Nose--Throat/Eustachian-tube-dysfunction---what-are-the-symptoms/show/7331#acters into this forum.
Incidentally, it (the Chinese herbal medicine) costs almost nothing and i  note no ill effects, so it might be worth a try.
Disclaimer: Not a med. professional.

Menieres must present with FLUCTUATING hearing loss, tinnitus, episodic vertigo (rocking/disorientation, as opposed to spinning) and ear pressure/fullness. If you don't have all the symptoms, then it's most likely not Menieres.

If the dizziness present with changes in head motion/body position and is a spinning sort of dizziness, you might wanna check out a thing called "BPPV." Ask for a dix-hallpike test. It's generally included in a battery of tests called the "electronystagmography," which also check for a number of things, including oculomotor function, cervicogenic vertigo, and vestibular function. Note- It's not really pleasant, esp. the one that checks for the last bit.

The SCM muscle is related to the vestibular sys. by the neurological pathway connecting the inner ear to that particular muscle (in addition to other places). Generally, its the terminal point and not causative (note, generally) The main test that checks this pathway is called the VEMP test.

Also, it might be worth noting that migraines have been known to cause dizziness/do not always present with headache. It's the diagnosis of exclusion- nothing really tests for it; everything else must first be ruled out.
I have had problems off and on with bocked Eustachian tube in my left ear for many years.  I have also learned to do my best to not let my sinuses stay clogged since it sets into motion a chain of events that lead to a blocked ET and pressure in my middle ear and dizziness tht has at time been debilitating (can't drive, walk etc).  Recently my ear was completely blocked for a few days (people tht don't go through this don't realize what a life drain it is) and in a panic I went to the Dr. since I knew the coming chaing of events.  The Dr. said they did not see an infection (yet) and just prescribed some decongestants (which is not ground breaking therapy for me).  In desperation I scoured the web and ended up finding something that cleared me out (did not end up getting infection with dizziness and cleared my ear).  Here are 2 links to the info that helped me.  I have been doing this about once a week.  Each time I do the procedure I repeat about 3 times.  It takes about an hour after the procedure for me to feel the full benefits though I get relief soon after.  

Things to do in preparation for the procedure:
*If you have thick mucus, take some Mucinex about an hour before the procedure.
*If you think there is a lot of swelling and you need to take an ibuprofen before treatment, it is an option (I don’t need it)
*Don't tilt your head so the fluid goes into your ET on the first rinse- first rinse- get out some of the congestion  (don't want the mucus going into your ET).
*I use Afrin and homemade saline solution with tap water, but other sites highly recommend 4-way in red bottle instead of the Afrin (I may try that as well in future).

Here are some sites- good luck and hope it helps some people!

http://www.ehow.com/how_4537025_cure-clogged-eustachian-tube.html

http://www.earadicator.com/

The following method may be enough to ward off blockage but for me it probably wouldn’t be enough if I was already getting blocked (if already blocked some of the saline might stay in my sinuses- the Afrin helps open things up to drain).

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322/The-Sinus-Flush

*** careful to just use Afrin (or other nasal spray) intermittently since can get addicted and make things worse- read about rebound effect****

This has helped me and I went off Allegra about 2 months ago.  I use Flonase once a day, morning.  When I do the treatment I use it after the treatment (after blow nose good and well and let things drain).

About six years ago had this problem.  Thought I was dying young, I went to numerous ent's.  Conclusion, acid reflux.  I had such severe acid reflux that the acid was coming up my into my mouth at night.  The acid was irritating my Eustachian tube causing me to have dizziness.  It took a little time but the dizziness went away after a couple of months.
I have problems with my eustatian tubes being blocked since I was at least 18 years old. I am now 21. When it gets real bad my ears pop when I swallow or even hearing people talk loudly would make my ears feel like they were exploding. I have had ear infections since I was born, when I was a baby I had to have tubes put into my ears, and all though school from elementary to highschool I had ear infections. In highschool I started to get problems with my tonsils and my glands and could not pop my ears, so the doctor prescribed me with nasonex and said I had a bacterial infection and gave me antibiotics. My glands continued to swell and not swell throughout the year and I experienced times of dizzyness due to my inner ear, and eventually developed a fever and was sick in bed for two or three days. I went back to my family doctor and he said that because of my eustatian blockage i had developed an infection - which somehow related to a virus that I would always now have that would activate if I lost a lot of sleep or didnt take my nasal spray.

The whole thing is very frustrating but every time i go to my doctor or to the emergency or a walk in clinic they tell me its nothing to worry about and to just take care of myself. I suppose that should be enough to calm a person down but it can be very unsetteling.
Thanks to 1000 Sunshine for posting the following two URLs:
http://www.earadicator.com/

I've always produced a lot of nasal mucus and as a child felt best after a thorough nasal passage cleanout by a rhinologist; however, symptoms recurred quickly and I was allergic to numerous plants and molds.  As a 60-ish adult I experienced a year of rocking-type imbalance described by Megan74 in the post which started this thread.  It started after a boat trip and I could not "clear" my ears after flying home.  I was also under tremendous job stress and was sleep-deprived at this time.

MDs have not been much help. I am miserable now because a summer of cold and rain has triggered huge reactions to airborne molds and breathing impairment.  My balance theory is that the large mucus production leads to drying in the ET opening and blocking it.  Steam rooms, hot baths, saline flushing (now with a drop or two of eucalyptus oil added) and anything to moisten and loosen mucus in the ET opening helps, followed by the Valsalva maneuver at modest pressure to confirm the ears "pop."

I am rarely off balance, the intense wet-season molds have caused a lot of breathing impairment, indigestion, back aches, muscle aches, sniffling, watery eyes and fatigue.  I've had steroid shots in the past when it was worst, and they helped, but MDs are very reluctant to prescribe them.

All the best,
Paulto
I have had etd for 1 1/2 yrs.and am still dealing with it. I have been through the run around at the docs office: ENT's and specialists. I also had an MRI to rule out issues w/ my brain. They all said my ears look normal. They certainly dont feel normal! The only treatment that i would highly recommend is to see an osteopath who does crainal manipulation. Its improving every week so i think there is real hope to get rid of this horrible condition.
My symptoms have been, ear pressure, dizziness/ off balance and brain fog/ trouble concentrating. Hope this helps!
@etd can you post some more info from your osteopath as to what they are doing with the cranial manipulation?
I just want to be able to convey some information to mine, form someone that has identified what the issue is. I have the same issues (ear pressure, dizziness/ off balance and brain fog/ trouble concentrating) and if I "crack" my neck I do feel better for a second.
I think the chiro might help me.
Very grateful fort any info.
christos
Since my post a week ago, I've been following two regimes pretty consistently to relieve "fullness" in the ears and inability to "pop" them (open closed Eustachian tubes), rocking-type imbalance, fatigue and rawness in the brochial tubes and lungs.  Mold counts taken locally have been very high (in the 10,000 to 20,000 spores/cu meter of air range), and I have historically been reactive to molds.

1. When breathing apparatus rawness is apparent or I have significant difficulty breathing, I take Albuterol inhalant as prescribed (2 puffs inhaled, twice a day). When my lungs don't feel raw, or my breathing is good, I cut back or discontinue.

2. I use mild saline in large quanities from a Neti pot or rubber syringe 3 to 4 times a day, making sure some goes down the back into the throat to wash out mucus which may be blocking the Eustachian tube opening.  I repeat until I can "pop" both ears (hear the Eustachian tube opening), though it is more like a "pfft" or "pssht" or "shweeet" sound, not fully open.

In general my symptoms are much relieved, and I don't tire nearly as easily.  I have not yet used "4 Way" nasal spray anti-inflammatory in the saline solution to treat possible inflammation within the Eustachian tubes.  The idea is to force the solution into the Eustachian tubes to "calm" them and simultaneously wash out any mucus which may be clogging them.  I will see a doc tomorrow, and may try this technique next week.

Overall, treating these two symptoms simultaneously appears to have helped.

Feel free to email me directly if you wish:

***@****
I have had many of the same aforementioned symptoms for about 4 months now. My left ear, sinus, eye and forehead are the effected areas. My ears continually feel like they need to be popped and often I hear an echo in my left ear.  When I do try to finally pop my ears I will typically feel sensation of dizziness that lasts only for a few seconds.  What concerns me is that many times I feel this sensation of dizziness without "over-popping my ears".  Many times the dizziness is spurred on by a loud noise, when I am in a car, or when I look towards the ground.  The symptoms have been causing me severe anxiety which has compounded the problem.  I went to emergency care after experiencing extreme pressure related dizziness on the left side of my head and they diagnosed me with an Eustachian tube dysfunction and prescribed me with a nasal steroid and antibiotics.  The steroid was marginally helpful.  The symptoms continued for a couple of weeks after and I began to get more anxious.  I decided to schedule an appointment with my primary care physician.  He indicated that I was experiencing vertigo probably due to the Eustachian tube dysfunction and mentioned an exercise I could do to relieve the issue.  But overall he was dismissive and said that it would pass.  I went to see him again for my annual physical around three weeks later following my initial consultation with him and once again he said it would pass.  I asked him if he would recommend that I see and ENT and he said "no" and that "he didn't think it was necessary".  It has not passed and is starting to really concern me.  I hate self diagnosing via the internet but have been left no choice.  I have come up with all sorts of ideas as to what the cause of these symptoms are including, Meiner's disease, BPPV, Eustachian tube dysfunction, Eustachian tube blockage, a tumor, mold in my office, sinusitis.  This is really demoralizing and tough to live with.  Like many of you, I have my good days and my bad days.  I want to be a good husband/friend/son etc. and drive, do my duties etc. but I also don't want to put anyone's life in jeopardy if I happen to have a bout with this issue while I'm operation a car.  Any advice, referrals etc. would be sincerely appreciated.  It's at least a blessing to know that other people are dealing with carrying this cross too.

Thanks,
John  
The doctor isn't dismissing your complaints,  The doctor just isn't telling you a secret--there is no effective treatment for ETD.  You can confirm this by reading posts by ENTMD, who is an excellent doctor and professional enough to admit the problem.  I had the problem in one ear, 2 great doctors gave me identical ineffective treatment, it took several months to go away, and it kicks back in about once or twice a year for a few minutes.

One thing that helped me was saline flushing.  A Neilmed Sinus Rinse is about $13 at any chain drugstore.
Hi,I was surfing the web,trying to find treatment for a lot of the same symptoms mentioned here,full headed feeling,struggling to focus,heavy eyes,fatigue, etc.,something I have had for many years now,and felt I had to comment on a very simple,and for me, really the only thing that has worked.
I was told to do this by a Doctor,here in England,whom also used to suffer from similar symptoms,buy a facial sauna,one with a nasal mask,which as suggested,fits over the nose,inhale the steam three times a day,for 20 minutes each time, for at least two weeks(at first to get on top of it ).I know steaming your nose for an hour a day seems like hard work,but it DOES work!,I have tried all inhalers,been to ENT,all that,and this is by far the best way to help.Please try it,also, don't get lazy,as I did, and once feeling better,stop completely!,hence that was why I was surfing the net for quick answers!,can't wait for two weeks!,but started steaming again.
Anyway,Hope this helps some of you at least,unless you suffer this way yourself,nobody knows what you are going through,I do,Best of luck,Glen.
For over 3 months now I have gone through so much of what has been described here and on other boards.  It started with ear pain and stuffiness, then temporal headaches, back of the head headaces, neck and shoulder pain as well as slight dizziness but bad vertigo when laying down on my back.  My first doctor was the ENT who said my ears were fine and it looked like my symptoms had something more to do with my neck.  I went to my Chiropractor who said my neck was way out of alighnment and as soon as he could straighten it out my symptoms should go away.  It did help about 75% but I still had vertigo and ear pain/fullness.  I went to my dentist and he said I was a clencher and that I was putting so much force on my jaw muscles that they were just over used and worn out, which is the 1st stage of TMJ.  Who knew?!?!? There was no evidence of joint damage via xrays.  I have anxiety so I got that under control with some light meds.  The dentist gave me a small night guard that has helped immensly in my night clenching.  I am now very aware of my day clenching and stress/posture especially when I am on the computer 4-5 hours a day.  I am feeling TONS better!  So everyone out there-it's all very simple and there is hope! Do not listen to all the negative and scary posts out there-they will literally drive you crazy!  Just relax and know that anxiety and stress can make you feel awful in the most unusual ways.  It's amazing how much pressure your jaw can/can't take, and it affects everything!!!  Stretch your neck muscles, get lots of massages and enjoy life!!!
  CDH404, your descriptions sound very much like many other ear problems.  So to say it "is" one particular thing is not necessarily a good thing.
i really feel the same thing and i feel like dreaming, and same symptoms mention... please help me... i've seen 6 ent doctors and they said its just colds... but i feel different... please help me... im so scared... please help.. please email me if possible... ***@****
Sure sounds like BPPV (Benign Paroxymal Positional Vertigo) or Ear Rocks, crystals of calcium carbonate break free after a head injury (Called otoconia I think), it's these that cause all the problems, has your Doctor tried the epley Manouvere? it works within seconds in 80% of all cases?
I have those same symptoms.  I too am being treated for acid reflux and tend to rest my head on the palm of my hand while driving.  It steadies my head as not to create too much dizziness.  I was diagnosed with bilaterial labryinthitis hyperfunction about 2 months ago.  I have tenitis and pressure in my left ear as well as hearing loss.  I know that anxity is a big probem because you know that your healthy but and all the test come back normal.You keep thinking...that somethig has got to be causing these probles and what is it??
My CT  and MRI's as well as a neurological exam came back normal.  Well something doesn't feel normal!!  I hate paying all the money for doctor apppointments and not being able to releave the dizziness and head pressures.  Just hoping something can be done to help.  
I keep myself busy with fun activites and majority of the time you won't notice the dizziness.  God bless and be safe.  
I am going through the same problem. I went to the doctor this morning and they tod me that I have estuchian tube Dysuction but my nurse at my school said I have ear infection but I know I dont. So my doctor gave me a prescription of nosel spray that I have to take for a week and no swimming either becuase of the pressure in the pool. I hope this helped
I had ETD starting a couple months ago, after a bad sinus infection.  It got better after a month or two.  What I found helps is popping the ear (put your finger in your "good" ear) once every hour or two but dont over-do it.  I also took nasal steroids.  I'm pretty sure though that it just clears up on its own.  I also took vitamins and generally tried to eat better and bump up my immune system.  I really advise anyone reading this to try not to get too "caught up" in your condition.  I did, and it lead to a terrible period of unhelpful anxiety (during which the ETD actually cleared up:>)  I suggest you try not to ruminate over every little thing, try not to consult Dr. Google etc.   Try to relax and be patient/accepting with it and tell yourself that "worst things can happen" and anyway it will clear up eventually.  Otherwise you may trigger unnecessary mental stress and anxiety (if you are a worry-wort like me and/or someone who keeps trying to find answers on the Internet LOL).  Remember that most people who have this do not even post on forums, and many of those who do and then recovery are feeling too good and cant be bothered to post about how everything is OK in the end.  ENT for me was at first very frustrating but it was true that the improvements are very slooooow and almost impossible to notice, but they do improve.  
I have found a way to unclog blocked Eustachian tubes!  After watching a YouTube video that was a segment from the T.V. show "Doctors", in which they demonstrated a hand-held device called "EarDoc" that send sonic waves to the inner ear and reduces swelling in the tubes and allow them to drain, I took my sonic toothbrush and held the back side of the toothbrush head against the area just behind my ear and turned it on for two minutes.  Then I held it against the soft area just in front of the ear opening and again turned it on for two minutes.  Within a day, both of the ears started to drain the fluid down the back of my throat.  Yay!!  Avoid expensive ENT visits and much frustration, just try it.  You can buy the EarDoc device for $55....or use your sonic (has to be sonic) toothbrush.
My latest bout of vertigo has been going now for 18 days and was the result of a cold producing an ear infection. After an anti-biotic the worst symptoms diminished.

Go to EarPopper.com. That device, which requires a prescription, seems to be the answer for a clogged Eustachian tube. I have ordered it from Drugstore.com and am waiting on my PCP to fax the prescription. Rite Aid, Walgreens or CVS did not know what it was nor did my PCP. The testimonials are 100% positive and the website has a video which describes how the device works.

I don't know if it is the answer but it's going to get a trial from me.
i have also been dizzy for 3 months now and they think it allergies....i dont really know...cause im pretty much dizzy 24/7, could allergies cause me to me dizzy everyday all day?....when i swallow my ears click

im supposed to start allergy shots this week, but i feel at a total loss..... any advise? i have had ct's,blood work, vng, allergy, and hearing test and all came back normal
I KNOW THIS FEELING ALL TO WELL....I AM HAVING THIS SAME PROBLEM NOW GOING ON 9MTHS AND JUST RECENTLY HAD A CT SCAN (NORMAL) NOW I AM GOIN TO CHECK OUT ENT DOCTOR...KILLING ME SOFTLY!!
I've had this problem off and on for just about my entire life. Not a spinning dizzy but a feeling of off balance, like I am on a boat. Also brain fog, ears clogged, sensitivity to light. I am 34 years old now, been to several ENTs and the latest one thinks it may be Menierres Disease. I have had allergy tests that show I am not allergic to anything (at least what they have tested me for). I don't think it is Menierres Disease because there is never any spinning at all, just an off balance feeling. Also seems to happen at only certain times of year, but again, I have not tested positive for any seasonal allergies.Also my ear fullness seems to be relieved when my ears pop, I don't believe that ears pop in Meneirres. I can live with the pressure, brain fog, headaches, etc, everything except the lightheadedness. I was thinking perhaps it has something to do with Eustacian Tube Disorder or perhaps even TMJ? I live in northern NJ, about 15 minutes from NYC. CT scans and MRI's through my whole life have come back normal. Any, and I mean any advice would be helpful. I'm feeling at my wits end here.
Thanks so much for any guidance anyone can offer.
I know how it feels. I actually have this since I was a small child. and coming from low income family we have no idea what it is. They thought that it was my eyes so I was diagnosed with astimagtism but still it persist until now, but I am managing it well. But I am in a quest to be just be liberated from this. The worst attack when I was in graduate school and was starting to write my disseration. It lasted for a year until I finally manage it. When you have an attack you start to panic. It is easier said than done to say "OK dont panic". The memory reconsolidation was very helpful for me in overcoming the panic and anxiety. What I did was to I bought this relief band which basically like a watch which gives a minor shock to your nerve (well of course that is not the original purpose of this device). They recommend to put in the wrist and find the nerves that you will feel a mild shock. But it difficult to fine so I use the side of my left ring finger where the nerves are connected to the stomach( remember the familiar queaziness you get in the attack)I have the same condition. And give yourself a jolt increase the shock until it is strong but not really very strong. SO basically from reading  journals about this topic I modified it. to try it for anxiety  and panic driven by vertigo, light headedness. SO when you give yourself the jolt. What it does is , it gives stimulus to the brain. And try to remember the worst expericen you had with vertigo, all your fears, and anxiety, like passing in the middle of the road and other crazy stuff we had experience. What it does is to open the gates to these bad memories. And of course all gates would  will close again. So what you need to do is to think positive things. That all yours fears have actually never happened. You did not pass out in the middle of the road, you did not have a really bad spinning vertigo in the middle of the road. or anything that will counter the bad, and anxious state you had "after all we are still alive". So that when the memory gates close you will lock in this good memory. It works for me. I remember when I had my attack prior to  my discovery of this on the internert of course. I was studying for my PhD, I had a son, my wifes pregnant, I am the bread winner, my wife doesn't know how to drive. I cant  walk in the grocery isle, that's why me and my son had to stay in the car while my pregnant wife is doing the grocery. It was very tough. and indeed this memory reconsolidation helped me regain my confidence back little   by little.  I still had attacks but I dont have the panics associated with it anymore.It is difficult to concentrate when you talk to someone coz u feel in a both.
Do vestibular rehabilitation:
1.) Walking
2.) seat on bouncing ball
3.) do gaze stabilization exercise for nystagmus (it works)
4.)  I tried to do standing with eyes close for 10 min, then alternate the weigh on one leg to the other.
I still have attacks but no panic is well managed. I still feel my right ear is the culprit, it feels abnormal compared to my left which is fine. I will try to religiously use my ear popper since I hadve eustachian tube dysfuntion. And will see if it works.
when I sleep i sleep on one side then counterclockwise, and then to another side rotating counterclockwise again. I feel better in the morning than sleeping on my back which after I wake up I feel groggy.
Hoping other people would share what  works for them.
of course try these at your own risk.
I am sorry for my comment. It is not well written as I have no time to edit it, I am just compelled to share what works for me that might work for others.
God Bless us all!!!
Get another doctor.  Go to a university hospital. don't stop until someone finds it.  
I take  meclazine 25mg (for motion sickness).  you can get it cheap, it is an old drug, and I take 1/2 pill.  most of the times it works, sometimes not.  I have very small eustation tubes, and they blow a hole in my ear drum, but I actually think that helps with the pressure.  my doc just checks it every 6 months, and it is doing fine.  just chronic.( I've had 2 surgeries for tubes and new ear drums, but they don't last because of the pressure.).  I also have underdevelped frontal sinus's, so they fill up quickly.  but, the meclazine works most of the time (mild antihistamine).  I stay away from decongestants, because they seem to make it worse.
Hope this helps.  I know how miserable you must be.
can thyroid problems be responsible for new headaches, dizziness, ear pain/fullness, low body temp, low sex drive, brain fog, etc???????

i'm normal with all these tests but i don't FEEL normal.
I have TMJ and ETD because of it. Both these things together cause serious issues including nervous system disorders. I went to several DR's one of whom put me on allergy shots before finding out the real reason behind all of it. TMJ. I suggest all of you get this checked out. And just for an FYI, I also have had vertigo, dizziness, fullness pain etc. All comes from TMJ which can arise from a number of Different reasons and is typical between child bearing years of women.

Hope this helps-
KIM
My wife thought I might be drinking too much. Not. But after several years of on-again, off-again "drunk'" symptoms, especially if I got up at night, I finally got some answers. At least for me, this helped.
First, nasal washes. Yep. An ENT strongly urged me to do this, as we live in SW Florida, where the MOLD counts are very high. The washes help a lot!
Then - a blood test for vitamin B12.  Yes, that's right - low levels of B12 often, if not usually, lead to balance problems. My B12 level was 200 - and that's the absolute bottom of the US scale. Under a doc's care, I started taking 1000MCB (note, mcb, NOT mg!) of sublingual B12. The under-tongue meds not only made me feel much more energetic, but also ended my "nighttime drunkenness."
One more note -I've found that certain labels of red wine will bring back the dreaded "drunk" sensation - if I drink more than two or three glasses in the evening.
Bottom line: what works for me may not work for you, but I strongly urge you to get a B12 blood test - or simply try the sublingual B12 - any excess in your system is flushed away in urine.
Hope this helps some of you! (moving away from Florida would certainly help me even more! GRIN)
It could be something as simple as vitamin deficiency or dehydration I do suffer from Otosclerosis and Mineres disease so I do know what everyone is talking about in this forum although I got really bad with anxiety and felt like I was floating worried I was going to pass out. Finally I decided to up my multi vitamins and drink more water and I have felt way better although I do get the other symtoms (symptoms) from the Mineres but I do believe I was lacking viatamins and dehydrated. Something so simple could be worth a try.
Mars1887
Thanks for the info on your post. I moved to SW Florida a year ago and in the last 3 months started having dizziness, foggy head and anxiety. I had never had this before.
My Dr said i have fluid in the ear also, which is not draining. Nothing has worked as of yet..... nasal steroids, pseudophedrine, guaifenesin, maneuvers, nasal washes.

It has gotten so bad over the 3 months that I can't drive, work, walk down the street. Basically I have no life. Even going to the store is hard as I worry I will pass out. Thank goodness for my wonderful, patient fiance and his support! I don't know how he puts up with me :)

My landlord thinks mold might be the cause but I don't have any respiratory problems and my sinuses are not stuffed. We did find some black mold but not much and it was cleaned up.
I will try the B12 and see if that helps. I will also try the sinus rinse again as I only did it a few times and was worried it would put more fluid in my ears. But right now I'll try anything. I've read a lot of people have success with this.
And there is always moving out of lovely FL, but that is such a big, scary (espensive!) decision, especially if it doesn't help. But if i knew for a fact it would, I'd start packing!
Not sure what to do....my 6 year old daughter had an ear infection a year ago..we cleared it up with antibiotics, went back to the doctor for a second check and he claimed it all cleared up. So I was ok. Then she started saying it felt like in one ear it "wasnt popped..like on a plane mommy" so now Im a little worried. I take her back to the doctor for a second look and he claims there is no sign of infection or fluid. She complains 2 days later saying it bothers her cause she feels like "its under water" so i call the docotr again and he says to bring her in again. I did. No sign of fluid or infection. He says to bring her to an ENT for further evaluation. I did. I wasnt happy with him was very quick and to the point but not great bed side manner. They did a hearing test and checked again for fluid. Hearing test perfect and no fluid or infection. My daughter complained again a few days later. So, I found someone else for a second opinion. I loved him and he said the same but recommended an allergy test to see if maybe allergies may be causing an alteration in her eustacian tubes. Im so tired of getting a run around and just want an answer. Allgery tests to be done after the new year but he didnt sound hopeful that this may be what she is complaining of. He said some children have a bent eustacian tube and it takes time to develop and thats what causes the discomfort. some children are more vocal than others. So....now what??? My daughter has to live with discomfort and feeling like shes under water till what??? or when???? please anyone who has an idea of whats going on through similiar situations....help. :( im a mom who is desperate. thanks.
  I feel the same way as some of you have described in your posts...with some ear pressure and popping, especially in one ear...and I’ve had the feeling that I’m “dreaming” (foggy feeling) for about 11 days now.

I have a Dr. appt. on Thursday...I’m hoping they’ll be able to let me know something as I’m still not 100% sure it’s an ear related issue.  

This is really starting to take a toll on my life.  If anyone has found a way to get rid of these symptoms I would immensely appreciate any insight.

Thank you very much!!

-Laura

Have you looked into getting your adrenal glands checked or your estrogen/progestrogen?  These can cause dizziness.  I hope you feel better soon.
Meniere Spectrum Disorder mimicking Eustachian Dysfunction – Life is just a Bowl of Krispies    Part 1
      I am currently checking out the literature to help define the common and distressing Meniere Spectrum Disorder (MSD), which is how I find myself on this site. The above 85 posts contain such a valuable and comprehensive delineation of MSD, that I can use them to describe its symptoms:
Earfullness.  This is the key symptom of MSD, posted as:  ear pressure; fullness; plugged; clogged; stuffiness; stoppage; exploding, in that order.   Although people struggle to describe this characteristic symptom, there is a remarkable agreement with the choice of words as recorded in Ireland two centuries ago by Sir William Wilde’s shorthand writer (Aural Surgery 1853):  pressure; bursting; stuffing; fullness; stopped up, in that order.  
Dizziness.  Dizzy spells; dizziness/spinning on bending head; spinning out of control; pressure-related dizziness on one side; slight dizziness but vertigo when lying down; faint; passing out.  Off balance; on/after trampoline/elevator/boat; tilt; tip; dip; lift; floor drops; lean on one side; unsteady; imbalance but no spinning; disorientation; rocking-type imbalance; floating; drunk.  Nausea; upset stomach; stomach queasiness.  Vertical heterophoria.
Tinnitus.  Ringing in ear.  Most people with tinnitus will have been claimed by otologists or be on tinnitus websites.  Not to be confused with subjective tinnitus are Eustachian noises:  pop; crackle; swish; crunch; snap; click.
Deafness.  Losing hearing; unable to hear certain sounds, phones ringing; muffled, reduced hearing.  Hard of hearing patients are particularly likely to end up in ENT departments.
Audiosensitivity.  Sometimes can’t tolerate even speaking or loud noises.  Loud talk makes ears feel as if exploding;  dizziness spurred on by loud noise.  There are many websites for persons with various forms of noise sensitivity, so on this site this is not reported as often as expected.
Psychological/psychiatric consequences.  Unable to concentrate; head full of mud; driving me insane; weird; extremely fatigued; thought I was crazy; anxiety attacks, nonstop anxiety; depressed; in a daze; brain fog; sleep impaired;  dying of something undiagnosed; arms and legs feel unattached; panic attacks; spaciness, feel outside of body; like dreaming; so scared.
     MSD provides a simple, unitary explanation for the myriad sympoms so graphically described in the postings, and resolves the problem with nomenclature.  If accepted, a vast amount of money will be saved on inconclusive medical investigations. The reason this syndrome has been missed is that there are many misleading myths and false assumptions, held even by ear specialists, so it is hardly surprising to see the confusion about Meniere’s disease so neatly expressed above. Myths and unhelpful beliefs include;
A blocked ear means a blocked Eustachian tube.  The main reasons for challenging this very common assumption are; most people complaining of blocked ear are found to have normal middle ear pressures, indicating normal tubal function; inflating the ear does not remove the fullness; sensation of blockage is especially pronounced if the tube is never shut (patulous).
Otologists have strict and precise criteria for diagnosis of Meniere’s Disease, ie a categorical condition, allowing no shades of disorder. This has the unfortunate result of encouraging diagnoses like imagination, psychosomatic, anxiety, and the time-honoured fallback, nothing wrong, for those who are quite ill but don’t have narrow Meniere’s Disease.
All tests are normal, therefore there is nothing wrong.  Nothing life-threatening perhaps, but it very short-sighted of doctors to think their understanding is so good that their tests are perfect.  The crucial feature of MSD is that it is a fluctuating condition, so that by the time the patient reaches the second tier of the referral system the condition may indeed have resolved.  
Meniere’s Disease is a long-term progressive disease.  Yes, since that follows from how it has been defined.  Meniere symptoms can fluctuate wildly and recover completely.  Hence one reason for the concept of MSD.
All are agreed that the physiological basis of Meniere’s is altered labyrinthine pressures.  Since the endolymphatic compartment is dilated (hydrops), it has been universally assumed that hydrops is initiated by high cochlear pressure.  I think the overwhelming evidence is that is triggered by low perilymph pressure.  Compelling reasons for this include: MSD/hydrops is definitely associated with low CSF pressure, and I cannot find any good evidence that it can be caused by intracranial hypertension;  it is associated with perilymph fistulas; it occurs in hangovers.  Meniere’s disease is often said to be due to water overload,  so it is particularly noteworthy that two persons above related it to dehydration, and that drinking lots of water helped.
The causes of MSD are anything that reduces perilymph pressure (or increases it but less than endolymph pressure), including: dehydration; excess fluid loss during head infections; weight loss; hyperventilation; intracranial hypotension; low blood pressure; orthostatic hypotension;  fluid leak from cochlea into middle ear; spinal fluid fistula.  
Having extracted people with MSD (see Part 1 above), it is now possible to give a clearer classification of E tube function. There are four possible states:
Lightly shut.  This is the normal condition.  The tube opens naturally and imperceptibly during natural functions like swallowing, yawning, talking, chewing, etc.  Middle ear pressure is found to be zero, ie the same both sides of the eardrum.
Completely shut.  This happens during colds or infections, when the tubal lining swells up and air does not pass along the tube or cannot be forced through it, hence people should not fly if they have colds. Air then gets absorbed from the middle ear, and low middle ear pressure is found.  Fluid can then collect in the middle ear, which might become infected.
Completely open.  Patulous E tubes cause intense distress, from hearing one’s own voice or breathing, audiosensitivity, and particularly from earfullness.
Half open. Here the tubes are often closed, but can easily spring open with a pop if moist or a crack if sticky or dried out. This I think applies to many on this site, as exemplified by these comments or observations: when swallowing, ears pop, crunch or click; echoes when I talk; boomy echo of own voice; echo in left ear; popping in ears when I lie down;  if I lie on my left side, my left ear is clear, and if I lie on my right the opposite happens. These last two observations are particularly pertinent as they indicate the tubes must be patent when standing up, and that relief is obtained from undue patency when lying down, allowing them to eventually close off.  Many persons reported symptoms related to changes in barometric pressure, which shouldn’t affect Tubal States 2 & 3. In State 1, external pressure changes should be easily compensated for, but this will be hard in this State 4.  
As I have found on other occasions, reviewing the literature leads to unexpected findings.  For example, I found that drugs do not cause musical hallucinations without there also being symptoms of MSD. Also, ears with MSD are very susceptible to a very wide range of drugs as part of their hypersensitive state (two people above reported being oversensitive to alcohol).  Here, I was intrigued by the complaints of snap, crackle and pop, so checked on Wikipedia how this phrase had been associated with cereals and elves.  In fact there had been a fourth elf, Pow, corresponding to an explosive sound.   On checking with Wilde, a folklore expert, he reports that ear disease in rural Ireland often occurred after people fell asleep in the open air.  This was known as being “taken by the fairies”. Wilde also noted that the tube can open with a report like a pistol shot. So it might not be coincidental that the noise of eating Krispies might be likened to noises of tubal dysfunction, and associated with elfish folk stories.  

I have had Eustachain tube dysfunction for about 5 years and it's a pain you feel dizzy alot, and your ears stop up with any change of pressure, mine change with a speed bump. You also feel like you are either rocking or spinning on my bad days. But, i have my bad days then good days, so yes those are the symptoms and it sounds like ETD (a stupid abriviation i came up with). I hope its something else for you...it's no fun.
For about, 2 months or so, I have been lighted headed, dizzy, have pressure in my head, and a ringing that is sooo annoying! On top of that my heart has been beating out of my chest and sometimes way faster than usual. I'm super tired all the time no matter how much sleep I get, I can sleep aaalll day and wake up for an hour and sleep another 12 hours. thats nuts.  I actually went to the hopsital for the chest pain an heart beat, which was 130! Its never been that high, it was crazy. But anyways they did all kinds of tests, and found nothing.  Went to my ENT dr a couple days after that, and he also found nothing. Kinda scary, the throat thing is what scares me the most. This is super wierd, I told me dr about it and he thought i was crazy. But I honestly get relief on my throat when I..uuhh and i dont know how i figured this out lol, but when I like pull my chest down, like away from my throat. Just like lay my hand flat and full down. Very very wierd, but it makes my throat stop feeling wierd. Who knows!!!
Please someone...I am going insane.  If anyone has had  the ‘dreaming’ feeling, if you’ve found a way to get rid of it, a frustrated girl would love to know how!!  :/  

THANKS!
I have had many of the symptoms you all complain of. I started breathing in menthol and eucalyptus from a steamer, that really helped. What I'm doing now that has REALLY helped me is using a sinus wash bottle. You squeeze the bottle and it pumps water up one nostril and out the other. The technique I'm using now is to block the free nostril and VERY GENTLY pump the bottle. I can feel the saline solution going right into my ears, it feels very weird and gave me one huge headache the first time I did it, now i can hear all sorts of squelching noises when I swallow but I feel a load better than before. I think I must have had some long term infection there which is now being shifted. Hope this helps.
58 year old male, experienced all these blocked ear problems for twenty years. A heavy smoker for 30 years finally stopped about five years ago since when condition worsened. My sleep is badly affected more so by a muscular problem whereby have lost the ability to relax and thereby change or move the position of my body during sleep resulting in sleep disruption and numbness. Found two types of breathing exercise help, The yoga pranayam blocked ear exercises and Tai Chi Qiqong breathing during performing the form. Both are easy and a quick google will show you how. Relief is only temporary but it allows you to achieve this relief when you need it by performing these breathing excercises. They do become exremely boring although the Tai chi also helps with general health and can be easily done in your front room with no damage to your home. Have given up on any cure but good luck to all.
Am same age (52) and getting same symptoms..Also put down to menopause. Have you had any improvement with Chiropractor.  Am just about to start regular sessions ie. one full treatment a week and two to release the C1. Love to hear how you are going.
The feeling like you are on a boat all the time is called Mal de Debarquement syndrome.  Here is a support website for it:  www.mddsfoundation.org.  I had it last year for about 2 months, then it cleared. It is most often precipitated by travel, but not always.  I was going on another trip and terrified it would get worse.  I asked my doctor for Ativan, an anti-anxiety med, because some research seemed to indicate that might help.  After that trip, the feeling cleared up.  There is a researcher at UCLA who is doing a study on MDDS.  It's real, and it's different from other kinds of dizziness.  It most often hits women in their 40s, which tells me its probably related to hormones.  I am now getting occasional vertigo, I think related to the onset of menopause.  I'll be 50 this year.
I dont know if you will receive, but I know exactly How you felt or feel... I have had the condition enumerable tests, Vestibular therapy (which helped to taper the extreme dizziness) and meds, still no success... It has been a few years since you wrote this have you found success in anything. I really hope you get this, I would like to know your development since then.... Also I know your anger and frustration and sadness ~ I to feel like I need anxiety meds, maybe it can take me out of this funky reality

Thanks for any help you can give
Im only 28 and yet Ive been having all these symtems in which at first I thought they were sinus problems. My ears feel full, Im tired all the time, nauseated, headaches, and my left side of my nose and cheek feel full as well. Ive had it for over a year. Ive been prescribed several anibiotics, and my dr even thought it could be depression so I took anti depressants. Nothing has helped. Ive looked up several things such as Mono, Manieres Disease and MSD. Mono there is fever and neck pain so I dont see it being that. MSD doesnt say anything about full ears. And Manieres descibes hearing loss in the ears and I have a fullness feeling in my ears pluss its really worst in my left. Ive been so stressed out over the past year cause my body feels tired a majority of the time and the doctors cant seem to figure out what it is. Im not a week person but this had me down to my worst. I wish I had an answer to my problem. Im not depressed either cause I know what thats like and I really like my life and where its at right now, I just down like how run down I feel. It affects me at home, school and work.
I wonder if any of you have thought of a connection to food? Gluten can cause some of these symptoms. Celiac disease is an extreme form, but you can be allergic to gluten without being celiac. Also food colorings, MSG, soy, dairy- all things that cause body symptoms. maybe the  drmercola website would have some good info-
Please get your thyroid checked. Ask for a full thyroid panel. Not just a TSH. That might be what's going on. Sounds so familiar to what I went through. Once I found out it was my thyroid and treated it the symptoms you're experiencing dissapated. Be advised tho, that you might need to shop around for a doc who will listen to how you feel. Good luck.
Chiropractic has helped me immensely.
my brother had mineares disease for years he would get so that he would throw up. nothing helped. he did everything the specialist told him to do, with little to know help...   then he had to have a tooth pulled...4 years now and not one instance or flare up sense... no proof,,Drs. don't believe that the tooth had anything to do with his sudden recovery.  but we know better. not one ear problem or dizziness problem since
I am in the same boat as you, it is driving me crazy and I really cannot have any more time off work or I will lose my job.
Since June 2007 I have felt the popping, full , clogged sensations only in my right ear. Have had all the balance tests/mri scans/blood tests done and although i am pleased that it has ruled out anything sinister, it doesn't solve the problem.
Now the docs say that it is eustachian tube dysfunction (ETD) and that there is thick catarrh trapped behind my eardrum, the only solution to dissolve this is drops or sprays- both of which seem to take ages to work.

Anyways, someone suggested acupuncture (the downside to this is the expense) and after 6 weeks of twice weekly sessions I began to see an improvement -as well as the therapy I had to cut dairy and bananas out of my diet - so can only suggest this for you as an alternative to western medicine. I was really feeling soooo much better after the treatment then unfortunately got a cold which then clogged me up again but am hopeful that the acupuncture will work again.
I feel your pain, nobody understands , honestly they talk to me like I'm some medical miracle! I mean there has to be a Cure out there cos 4 and a half years is a bloody long time to feel so crap.
I am 37. I've always had sinus problems but for the past couple of months I feel pressure in my ears all the time. I feel so off balance, especially when driving. I'm afraid I will get in a car accident and it causes me so much anxiety I don't even want to leave the house. I've tried everything I can think of and nothing relieves the pressure. I hope I can find some relief. I don't want to live like this.
How do you feel years later with the new tubes?
Did the ear popper work for you?
This is interesting that it could be related to TMJ because I know I grind my teeth and I've had some of the symptoms. I've mostly had the sudden vertigo while in the car, in a shopping mall or in a large building like at church. A very sudden spinning that then goes away after a few minutes. I never get nauseous with it. This doesn't happen often and it's been off and on for a few years. I sometimes get a migraine between my left eye and bridge of my nose but haven't noticed it occurring at the same time as the dizziness. I had a strong dizzy spell while sitting at a stoplight about a week ago (with my daughters in the car. It was very scary!). Since then I've had some dizziness off and on every day especially when sitting at stoplights. And I notice ringing in my ears when all is quiet around me. In recent years I also have experienced sensitivity to headlights when driving at night and I can't handle driving at speeds faster than 70 on the freeway.
I've always had a problem with plane travel in regards to intense ear blocking and sometimes pain. The first time was when I was 19 and I felt like someone was driving a knife in my ears as we descended into Phoenix. A couple of years ago I found that the ear plugs they sell for that (the cork screw types) helped immensely. I also used to be able to like to fly in spite of that, but the few times I've flown in the past ten years, I've had tenseness. I think it's the motion because it's mostly on the ascent or descent when you can feel the plane moving.
We are uninsured so I have yet to go to a doctor for any of this. I'm 54 years old. I hope this is not something I'm going to have to just live with as almost everyone is describing here.
I have often wondered if it was allergies. Right now the pollen is high in our area. We also have a mold problem in our house. I took Claritin for several days last week after the episode but it didn't seem to help.
I will try to get to a doctor soon to eliminate if it is other problems.
I do know how to handle stress and anxiety because I dealt with that a couple of years ago when I was first having the migraines about the time I lost one of my sisters to cancer. I had heart palpitations so bad I had to go to emergency one night. They found nothing wrong with me after EKG and xrays and all. I came to grips with anxiety and have not been seriously bothered by that since and the heart palpitations have not reoccurred. I wanted to encourage those with anxiety to seek a spiritual solution. That might not relieve your other problems but it will help you to live without the anxiety. As a Christian, I battled that spiritually and it has not come back in my life since. (Not to say I wasn't scare when the dizziness happened recently. Just did not panic.) But whatever your personal beliefs, at least try many of the good suggestions here to relieve anxiety such as massage, relaxation exercises, etc.

I have just read thru all of the comments.  Please don't give up..anybody! There are new procedures for ETD.  I had it for 5 yrs. I could not pop my ears.  The pain and pressure was unbearable. I finally found a dr in San diego, Dr Brian Weeks doing a new procedure called eustachian tube dilation. If you google his name and ETD under videos, u can actually see the surgery.  It was filmed for THE DRS tv show. This may not be everyone's answer, but it was mine. I was so lucky to find an answer, to be on the show, and to GET MY LIFE BACK! I'm on a mission to let others suffering know, that there are answers. Drs are working on it, you just need to find those drs.  No one knows until they have this, how devastating it can be.
Hello, i'm a 21 year old male and i've had this for 5 years on and off. I went to private ENT's in London and they couldn't explain it and just said it would wear off which was no help as it occurs once a year near summer time when I get colds and this apparently causes my eustachian tube to swell. It is just one ear and I can feel it happening and the ringing and pressure when I get it. Basically has led to to cut dairy out and lower my caffeine as this seems to agrivate it also. The clarityn seems to help and anti allergy stuff as it opens my passages and also I was prescribed betahistine hydrochloride which is supposed to balance pressure in my ear and when I take it 3 times a day it works a treat and stops all symptoms so I stop taking it until the episodes come back the next year.
blow one nostril at a time while plugging the other, sniff don't blow(better for you, even if it's gross), yawn, chew gum, try decongestants, wash sinus w salt water, plug nostrils and keeping mouth shut blow til your ears pop....ask for a referral to an Ear, Nose and Throat Specialist! Drink lots of water, don't smoke. I have had some success sometimes with these tips.
I have been suffering from the same issue for 3.5 years now, and I know exactly what you are feeling. My life has been hell since this first began. I have been diagnosed with Chiari 1 Malformation (brain stem issue) that was found during an MRI. I'm not convinced that this is causing my dizziness, nausea, etc. so I am looking into the possibility that I may need ear tubes put in, maybe? I hope you are feeling better soon.
Shawn
i also experiencing what u experience right now.i have several test also but there's nothing wrong...now i didnt know where my dizziness came from,,i experience diziness for 1 year and 5 months.
I had those issues for many years I was diagnosed with eustation tube disfunction which causes vertigo and fullness in the ears and Allegra D helped me feel better. Vertigo and Eustation tube disfunction mimic maniers disease.
Hi! I've had the same symptoms for 4 weeks now. My ENT says its most likely eaustation tube dysfunction. I've taken steroid dose packs (2) packs and augmentin for weeks now. They've done a hearing test and my ear drum is retracted and my ear is plugged and I'm so dizzy for a month. I feel your pain. They are going to do a ct scan and see if they see anything diff. He mentioned putting a tube in my ear to open it up. Thought this might help you if your dr hasn't mentioned it yet. I'm so frustrated too. It's debilitating. I have 3 kids and just feel awful everyday. I pray this works!!! Good luck to u too... I hood you find relief. Make sure they do a scan of your sinuses too and a hearing test. I had something like this back in my 20's and saw a dizzy disorder specialist and I had labyrinthitis. Look into that too.
manda1378, I have the same thing and I now believe its tied in with my sinus problems. I have just been told by the doctor that I have vertigo. I also have asthma and acid reflux. Tomorrow I go back to the doctor where he will test me for menieres. 2 weeks ago they did the crystals therapy on me and I still have the dizziness and nausea day after day. I also have bad allergies. I did the test where you hold your nose and blow air up into your ears to unblock the Eustachian tubes. I did this 4 times and 4 times only my left ear popped which means that side tube works. My right ear where I feel I have the problem never popped which tells me that side tube is clogged and I will tell the doctor. I found an all natural product at our local CVS drugstore called Di-vertigo which is an oil you rub behind your ear lobes 2 times a day. Its a small bottle that lasts about 2 weeks and costs 19.99 but its well worth it because it has really settled down my dizziness and nausea. I think it will settle down headache also but I don't get the headache symptom. The Di- vertigo has really helped me be able to work everyday where without it I was struggling. Give it a try and if you are unable to find it in a local store type it into your computer and a site should come up . It has been great for me and should get me over the hump until the doctor can fix me. Hope this info helps you.
I know exactly how you feel! You have all my symptoms, and I have a fear that im dying everyday. It's miseable!
Hello, Thanks for your post. I'm feeling the same symptoms as you did when you posted this.  Can you give me an update on how you're feeling and what you did to treat the problem. I feel wobbly, ears popping and just "weird."  No cold or allergy symptoms though.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!
Hi there,

For the past 5 months I have had many symptoms like those you all have described: dizziness (but no vertigo), ear fullness in both ears, pressure in the ears like I'm on an airplane, difficulty swallowing (from the feeling of a mucus lump in the throat) and some sore throat. My primary care doctor made the connection between my Eustation Tube Dysfunction diagnosed by the ENT and a one time occurrence of a 5 day long heart burn flair up.

I have never experienced acid reflux before, however I read about "silent reflux" which happens to people without the classic heart burn symptoms. Sore throat and difficulty swallowing are classic symptoms of acid reflux affecting the upper esophagus, and acid reflux is tied to problems with the ears, throat and head (it is linked to eustation tube disfunction and problems with draining fluid from the middle ear).

I am now taking prilosec OTC (generic) and flonase and I feel A LOT better - not back to normal unfortunately. Just wanted to share this connection with you in case it may be something for you to look into. (Just an FYI, I don't plan on taking the Prilosec OTC for the rest of my life - as a young woman it is concerning that Prilosec prevents bone regrowth and magnesium and calcuim absorbtion - but I hope that it will help my esophagus and stomach heal so that I can go off of it in several months.)

I wish you all the best of health to come.
I had the same and with a MRI of my IAC's(internal auditory canal) found that I had a vascular loop in the internal auditory canal that can cause dizziness and tinnitus. Going to see a specialist that deal with these problems.  Have an MRI of Iac's and see if there is a tumor or vascular loop problem.
how long did you have it? an what was your systoms
wow well said I need to stay in contact with you if I may??
I would strongly suggest you see a chiropractor.  I am not saying all Eustachian tube problems are related but mine sure was. I suffered with allergies and a blocked right ear with vertigo for a year.  The doctors (2 of them) said I had eustachian tube blockage and put me on nasal steroids for a year with minimal results.  They were getting ready to send me to an ENT and I just felt it was structural.  I went to a chiropractor and x-rays showed my 2nd and 3rd vertebrae were misaligned and squeezing on nerves affecting my sinuses and ears.  With neck and spinal manipulation, within 3 days my hearing returned, dizziness left, and my sinuses cleared.  I still have a ways to go but I have found my problem.  If you have tried everything, I strongly suggest seeing a chiropractor.
Yes...I have EXACTLY the same symptons as you for the past 10 years and no one can figure it out either...So good to know I am not alone...Please tell me what they think you have