Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Every morning I spit up blood

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Every morning I spit up blood

Every morning I wake up  I spit up blood.No coughing no shortness of breath felling fine just spitting up blood.Please somebody tell me if this is serious.I have no health insurance and frankly scared to go to the doctor.
There can be situations whereby infections or damage to the nasal cavity can cause minor bleeding, this then overnight has chance to pass down the pharynx into the trachea resulting in a 'bloodied' mucus. However, in this case it is impossible to make any form of diagnoses without knowing a little bit more about your situation. How long this has been going on for? Also do you smoke? Is the blood present as a pink mucus or as diluted blood (ie with saliva)? Do you have trouble swallowing large amounts of food?

Regardless of the answers to the above questions, if you are coughing up blood for more than a week, it must be examined, a simple chest X-Ray and bloodwork would rule out anything serious. Also, if you do large amounts of exercise, the prolonged heavy use of your lungs over periods of time can cause small amounts of 'pink mucus', but this should never happen regularly, or repeatedly.

If your still worried and don't want to see the Doctor, then if you can supply some additional info I might be able to help you.  
This has been going on for about 5 months and yes it is in my saliva and I do smoke about a pack every four days no trouble swallowing large amounts of food.It's weird cause not every morning does this occur and to be honest I'm scared to even check it out for the fear of horrible news but I know that I should because I have children that depends on me.So any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
Please see a dr immediately. My husband told me one morning he was cough up blood. He died 12 weeks later. This is not something to mess around with.