Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Excess mucus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Excess mucus

In late August, I was diagnosed with a virus, symptoms of which were fever, nausea, wretching up mucus continually, which seemed to be bubbly.  I was gagging at the throat and couldn't eat for a week.  Doctors  treated me for sinus/post nasal drip..    Mucus was white and thick.  After I was prescribed an anti-histamine spray for my nose, I felt as if there was an eruption of bubbly stuff in my mouth every minute and I had to get rid of it with tissues continually. This went on for 5 weeks and I still have to get rid of the mucus to a lesser extent..  The mucus is more watery but still a big problem.   I've also been suffering with heartburn. My GP referred me to a ENT specialist because he thought I had an over-active gland in my throat, which was producing this mucus.  He also advised me not to eat dairy products for a month and I find this helpful.  If I eat cheese, chocolate,e.g. the mucus increases a lot.  The specialist has prescribed me with 3 month medication for acid reflux.  However, when I wake up in the morning with nausea it is because of the mucus, not the hearburn, which is not bad now. Sometimes the nausea can last all day.  The hearburn seems to be a symptom of the condition, but not the cause.  Although my nose feels clear I sound a bit nasal and feel as if I have congestion in the throat. The ENT specialist examined my throat and nose and could not find an abnormality. He even suggested that I was only bringing up saliva, but I know that not to be the case.    Today I feel as if the virus has tried to kick back as I feel a bit feverish again.  I took one course of amoxycillin which cleared up the sinus pain but not the mucus.  Although there is an improvement I feel very tired and sometimes unwell. (I also suffer with ME).   I  would like to get rid of this problem for good, especially as it's now interfering with my Uni. course.     What do you think the root cause of this is and what treatment can you suggest?  Thanks.
I don't really have any suggestions, but it does sound like you have acid reflux that lodges in the throat.

One thing you said especially interested me.  You said "My GP referred me to a ENT specialist because he thought I had an over-active gland in my throat, which was producing this mucus."

I have severe muxus in my throat and had two operations for sinisitus which was supposed to cure it, but didn't.  I've never heard that there was any gland in the throat that could cause mucus.  Everyone says my mucus comes from post nasal drip.

There are a couple more forums on medhelp that deal with mucus in the throat, but it seems to be a mystery to the doctors as well as those of us who have it.