Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Excessive clear phlegm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Excessive clear phlegm

Hiya,

I have suffered with too much phlegm now for as long as I can remember (I'm 30 now) I presume it is related to me always feeling like I have a blocked up nose. I don’t think it is anything to do with my environment as I have lived in England in a little town and the outskirts of a major city and now in Tenerife right by the sea in all year round sunshine warm weather.

My symptoms are when I wake up in the morning I have to hack up at least 1 or 2 lumps of yellow thick mucus and then throughout the day I always feel the need to cough and hack up some fairly thick clear mucus.

I have tried drinking loads of water to help thin it out, but if anything it makes it worse because every time I take a drink I feel the need to hack a small amount of phlegm up.

Also if I chew minty gum and when I brush my teeth the strong mintyness seems to loosen more phlegm and I often hack 2 or 3 times.

I have ordered some Kali Bich which is a homeopathy pills that may help (they are supposed to help if you have too much thick yellow phlegm) and I have recently started giving myself a nasal wash – basically shooting salt water up your nose. This does clean me out but does nothing about the symptoms for the rest of the day.

I am willing to try anything to help.

Many thanks,
Steve
The yellow phlegm in the morning indicates that you most likely have a chronic sinus infection, which can go on forever.  You are on the right track, with the saline, but squirting it up your nose is semi-useless due to gravity.  I invented a technique to defeat gravity, which makes it possible to wash the infection out of your upper sinuses, which will cure the problem.

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322

It's risky, because you have to bend over in a shower, but you can also do it outside in swimwear, and anyway you are young.  Keep doing it for at least 3 days after the symptoms go away to keep it from growing back.
Thanks for that, I will give it a go tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on