Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Excessive clear phlegm
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Excessive clear phlegm

Hiya,

I have suffered with too much phlegm now for as long as I can remember (I'm 30 now) I presume it is related to me always feeling like I have a blocked up nose. I don’t think it is anything to do with my environment as I have lived in England in a little town and the outskirts of a major city and now in Tenerife right by the sea in all year round sunshine warm weather.

My symptoms are when I wake up in the morning I have to hack up at least 1 or 2 lumps of yellow thick mucus and then throughout the day I always feel the need to cough and hack up some fairly thick clear mucus.

I have tried drinking loads of water to help thin it out, but if anything it makes it worse because every time I take a drink I feel the need to hack a small amount of phlegm up.

Also if I chew minty gum and when I brush my teeth the strong mintyness seems to loosen more phlegm and I often hack 2 or 3 times.

I have ordered some Kali Bich which is a homeopathy pills that may help (they are supposed to help if you have too much thick yellow phlegm) and I have recently started giving myself a nasal wash – basically shooting salt water up your nose. This does clean me out but does nothing about the symptoms for the rest of the day.

I am willing to try anything to help.

Many thanks,
Steve