Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Excessive ear wax causing vertigo?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Excessive ear wax causing vertigo?

For more than a year now, I have suffered from a mild vertigo.  It was happening often throughout the day, but was the worst when I layed down at night.  It was quite an annoyance.  My wife kept telling me about little wax balls that kept appearing in my ear canal.  I have always used q-tips on my ears daily.  Anyway, I began to wash my ears "better" by running warm shower water into them for a few seconds each morning.  A little unconfortable, but doesn't hurt.  After a week or so of this, the vertigo had diminished greatly.  Then, I forgot to keep this up.  After a few weeks, the vertigo came back, along with the wax balls.  I started washing again the same way and the vertigo is almost gone again.  Also, the wax balls are gone.  First, can too much ear wax really cause vertigo, or is this a coincidence?  Second, if so, what is the safest method to clean the wax away?  Shower water under pressure makes me a bit nervous.
Thanks.
I've been having dizzyness/almost faint, though have never tried this before.  How do you wash your ears in the shower? you pour water into them?

I'm the complete opposite, since my problem I have never had any if not almost no wax from my ears.  In the past when I was normal(without dizzy spells), I was king of wax and it was almost without fail my wax use to turn up LOTS that look even orange at times on the cotton tips...
I just stand with my back to the shower head and position my head so that the water enters my ear canal.  I hold that position for about 10 seconds, then switch to the other side.  I take hot showers, so I'm thinking the water is softening the wax, but I'm not sure.  I haven't had a doctor look at my ears yet.
Do you actually get ALL the water out of your ears everytime?
Well, as far as I can tell.  When the shower is over, I dry them with a Q-tip.  I assume what I don't get will evaporate.  One other thing, they used to itch alot, but not so much anymore.  Also, I used to have Tinitus, but that has also been greatly reduced.  Hmm, I wish I knew if there was a connection, or if it is just a coincidence.
I would like to try that, though it sounds dangerous and being warm/hot water makes it sound even more dangerous.  did you ever think you would damage your ear yourself with the cotton tips trying to dry them?
Yeah, I've been told for years by the folks on TV not to use Q-tips to clean the inside of my ears.  I've also been doing it for years.  Once, I pushed the Q-tip in a bit too far and touched my ear drum.  That was painful.  What's that the doctor says?...  "You say it hurts when you put a stick in your eye, then don't put a stick in your eye.  haha   Anyway, I wouldn't tell anyone to do what the professionals tell you not to do.  I just know that for me, I know how far to put it in without hurting myself, and so I only put it in that far.  There may be an issue with impacting the wax, but I never see wax on my Q-tip.  I kind of thought my ears were always clean, and that I was just drying them.
well glad it works for you then.  i guess you havent heard stories of cotton tips get stuck inside ears?  known people who have had them stuck because they unwind the buds.  
That has never happened to me.
yes i believe hard wax can cause vertigo.  i did have vertigo and i cleaned my ears with eardrops.    it took a while to absorb bec. in my case i was using a lot of hairspray and also spraying with perfume near the ear.  i think  my eustachian tube were blocked especially my left ear.  my doctors couldn't figured out what was wrong with me and i got tired of being told that there was nothing wrong with my ears.  so i just tried my luck and used an ear drops.  my vertigo had long been gone and i don't have sinus problem anymore.  marie
I just went to the doctor this morning and had my left ear de-waxed. Something that looked like a swollen tick came out when the doctor used a spray of water and drops to loosen the wax. That swollen tick was actually wax and my doctor said that that is why I've been experiencing vertigo and dizziness for over a week. Any blockage in your ears can cause these sensations. It throws everything off including your balance. She recommended treating weekly with ear drops to keep the wax softened and more able to exit the ear naturally. She also said that the reason for the accumulation of the wax in that particular ear (and not the other one) was simply the way the ear canal on that side was shaped.
What type of ear drops are you using?  I've never looked into that.
Sorry for this late response.  i have not have time to read my postings.  i was using Debrox but i guess any brand will do.  i mentioned Debrox a lot in almost all of my postings.  lying down on your side will help that drops get inside your ears.  maybe 30 min. to an hour, twice a day or once for 4  to 8 days.
Ok, thanks.  I'll look for that.
I have been having ear pain and dizziness and my ears ring sometimes do you think the ear drops will help with that? The ENT wants to put ear tubes in my ears im still thinking about that last thang I will try

Shannon
I have had vertigo, severly...falling down and vomiting, off and on for 12 years. My husband is a doctor so we have exhausted the medical community, ENT, neurologist, internal medicine, chiropractic and all tests, MRI, CAT scan and the official vertigo test at the ENT.  Nothing found anything.  I finally heard about ear candling.  I used 5 in one ear and 6 candles in the other and had INSTANT relief and these candles were full of wax and yeast.  I will be repeating this as a preventative measure once a month or more often if needed but I finally have relief.  These are sold at healh food stores for 2 bucks each and you can do it at home.  Probably the reason we are not being informed of this at the doctors office!!!!  No profit in a cheap over the counter folksy cure!!  Good luck to you all!  CAtherine
I've never tried or heard much of ear candling...  Is it instant relief?  Does the hot wax pour into the ear??
candaling is not recomended by any ear specialists. To remove way they recomend a few drops of warmed olive oil in the ear and some cotton.  Or the wax softening drops.
has anyone had suction for ear wax? kate
I've had problems with ear wax for as long as I can remember, as had my father. I'm fairly certain a given shape of ear is more prone than another, so the problem probably in many ways is hereditary.
After spending lots o' $$ on over the counter stuff thru the years, I was told by both my ENT and family doctor that it's safe to use over-the-counter 3% hydogen peroxide. (Hydrogen peroxide, chemical equation H202, is the same active ingedient as what's in ear wax removal medicine "Debrox" and many others.
All you do is pour about 2-3 oz in a small cup, get a wash cloth & lie on one side, then VERY CAREFULLY pour a small amount in your ear as you're watching TV reading or whatever. If you've got wax buildup, it'll directly react with the hydrogen peroxide and cause a bubbling sensation in your ear that'll feel & sound sort of wierd at first, but just relax.
After a while, place the wash cloth over this ear & drain the peroxide. It will react again if there's wax on your ear lobes. Then roll yourself over to do this process to the other ear.
I started having ear wax build up issues during my later years when hormones change. Then I started getting vertigo pretty bad, then last year I fell to the ground in the bathroom almost hitting my head on the sink! I COULD HAVE BEEN really hurt, thank GOD I wasnt. I was in bed and couldnt drive for 3 weeks too longer for me to trust my body since I did drop like a bag of bricks just by flipping my hair off my shoulders! I will try the 3% peroxide tonight. I HOPE IT WORKS, I also read its good to add a few drops of rubbing alchol after wards to dry the ears out. Also Olive oil warmed up is good too. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL
I was diagnosed with vertigo over a week ago after two visits to the emergency room and being seen by multiple doctors.  I was extremely dizzy and couldn't see straight.  I could barely walk.  They prescribed me meclizine and valium and sent me on my way after doing countless tests.  They chalked it up to a viral infection even though I was completely healthy other than the vertigo.  I am going to try the ear candles and ear drops to see if they work.  I am barely functioning at this point so I am willing to try anything.  I can't afford to miss any more school or work.  I will post what eventually works to help others.
While it won't get rid of the wax, did you try to get rid of the vertigo with the head exercise on line?  After 5 days of suffering and a doc's recommendation to take some medicine that didn't work, I tried the on line exercise technique -- Brandt-Daroff Exercises for BPPV vertigo.  In both cases vertigo was relieved immediately.  

This will blow your mind but I have to tell someone!! I had bad vertigo myself started in 2008,  started taking alerga, anyway, in Nov 2010 I had chest pains and after a few days went to the Dr, he said my lungs were a bit frozen and gave me a breathing treatment with a nebulizer, anyway, after that my chest pains all but went away in about 15 min! AMAZING? Well the amazing thing is since I got my own nebulizer and filled my script my vertigo went a way!! OMG YES I mean while I was doing my breathing treatments every 6 hours then cut back to 2 a day I was dizzy and vertigo free!!! NOW I have CFS and I think that makes me breath shallow, but since I now get more air to my brain I think that was a key? Well, and I stopped my treatments and used the rescue inhaler, mind you I dont have asthma, only allergic asthma they said.. but when I stopped using the nebulizer I started to get dizzy again. SO Im ready to go do a treatment now.. ANYONE else have this happen to them? MAYBE SOME OF US just need more air to our brains? Love to hear from anyone..
Gday, I read with great interest your comments about candling ! What is this actually ? I have had Vertigo now for nearly 3 years, I have only had the vomiting way back when I first got it in the US on my holidays, since then I get some dizziness most days and some are good days and some are off days. I find its worst in the dark.
I have used ear candles for the wax also ear drops for ear wax. The candles can be purchased at a health food store for a couple of dollars each. The ear wax drops are sold at any pharmacy over the counter.  I have also had a lot of luck at the chiropractor with my vertigo. If it's not earwax then sometimes it is a problem between C4 and C5 on the spine. Once that is adjusted my vertigo will go away. This is after trying most medical treatments....physical therapy, valium, sea sickness patches, etc.  Good luck.
Cathasson (Catherine) I don't know if you've realized this since the time of making your post which I'm replying to here or the most recent post you'd made in this thread (Jan 18, 2012), but I just wanted to inform you (for your sake and the sake of others reading these comments) that Ear Candling is a well known/ long since debunked new age health industry scam that uses (as many of the purported "cures" or "remedies" in the alternative medicine realm do) the power of placebo to convince users of its validity.

Ear Candles can be potentially dangerous, in fact (I've read of numerous accounts where nurses and medical care practitioners have claimed they've had to deal with patients coming in with ear canals closed shut by the melted candle wax dripping into their ears, and requiring surgery to extract the solidified build-up).

There are many, many articles that you can read and videos that you can watch online that should offer enough clear proof to you that Ear Candles do not actually extract wax from your ears at all and are in fact just another huge scam in an industry filled with scams (no different than magnetic/ balance bracelets etc, etc):

Here are a few examples
(Article):
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1103/how-do-ear-candles-work

(Video - divided into 2 parts):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RLbwGoWaCc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF3FIwzVgSE

Cathasson, you said that you used 5 and 6 candles in each ear, respectively, and they "were full of wax and yeast".  I suspect that had your vertigo not put you in a state of near desperation by that point, those kinds of results probably would have been proof positive to you right then and there that you were being had.

What do you think you would have found in the candles if instead of using only 5-6 per ear, you went with 50 - 60 per ear? Well, I'm sorry to say, but you would have found the same amount of that so called "wax and yeast" in all of them... wouldn't have mattered if it was 5 or 500,000,000.

I had severely impacted earwax giving me a constant off balance feeling. The doctors I went to said my ears were clear and couldn't see a problem. After about 6 months Id had enough and purchased a 70 cent plastic syringe from the local pharmacy and filled it with warm water and flushed out my ears. Nothing appeared for 2 nights but by the 3rd night I couldn't believe the amount of dark wax that came out. The relief was instant! No more dizzy feelings. I'm not suggesting you try this yourself but putting warm water into your ears for a few nights and then getting your doctor to try syringing  your ears may just solve the problem. And don't use cotton tips!
Scott..
I use children's Benadryl to stop the vertigo.
take only 1 teaspoon at bedtime...
you should wake up fine...
take 1/2 teaspoon upon waking before dizziness start again..
this is the only thing that works for me...
I been to the ENT, on meclizine, Dramamine ect...
Again, CHILDREN"S BENADRYL ALLERGY
what is the best way to clean your ears if you have Vertigo,I just recently got over,I take two meclizine tablets and it will make me sleepy,when I wake up my Vertigo is gone but my balance is still off a few days later