Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Extremely painful, swollen nose - staph infection?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Came down with a big sore bump inside my left nostril.  Entire left side of nose became red and swollen.  Went to Prime Care and test showed "light staph infection".  Have been taking double-strength Bactrim along with Valtrex in case it could be the start of shingles.  It has been 4 days on meds with no improvement, but no rash either.  Extremely painful.  Wake up every 2 hours and need Vicodin.  Seems to radiate into cheek.  Scalp itches now.  Now also have one swollen, painful lymph node under left jaw.  Shouldn't the Bactrim be working by now?  Is there a more effective antibiotic that I should be using?
I have exactly the same symptoms that comes every few weeks and then disappears. Did you find out the cause and get any treatment
Jo
I have always suffered with allergies... such as sneezing and then blowing my nose for half a hour a day at least. We bought a home and moved to the suburbs. When I blow my nose a lot it gets red and sore then swells up. This time it has swollen up for 4 days and did not go away. It is just the top of my nose and the circling areas. It hurts bad and looks like rudolph the red nosed reindeer. It is swollen like a balloon... Does anyone have a clue what it could be. I can breath fine and have no dicongestive problems.
I just got out of the hospital for the same thing...
Mine was a serious staph infection in my nose....

This is nothing to play with it is serious you need to go see your doctor right away...
I had a similar problem with my nose...first the right side was really really swollen..went away.. then the left...then went away then my eye..then went away..all that took up about a month out of my life to heal..just when i thought i was out of the woods..i got a zit to the right of my nose..didn't think anything of it and then the zit turned into a cyst and left light scarring under my eye..its gone now..i guess its all a part of getting older :( lol..i usesd warm rags most of the day that made the swelling go down gradually until it was gone..also i drank green tea which has antioxidants in it which reduces swelling and boost immune system...it worked..i didn't take any antibiotics..just stubborn i guess ..

good luck 2 all
I'm wondering now if maybe it started in my nose.  I have allergies also.  My nose runs all the time during certain times of the year.  I kept getting scabs on the inside of my nose.  At first I thought I had a pimple on the outside of my nose.  Then it started to look more like a bruise or extremely red.  I tried putting neosporin on the scabs.  They kept coming back.  This last Friday I had something on my neck, I thought it was a spider bite.  I thought one of those Brown Recluse Spiders got me.  Then, I got this big quarter size blistery area. I went to the Dr. he said it wasn't a spider bite.  He said I just had an allergic reaction to something.  I called the oncologist on call and told him my glands were really swollen and very sore and that I had a really bad headache.  He had me go back to Extended Care.  The Dr. I saw this day said I had shingles.  So, is headache a symptom too?  
I have had a sore nose for about a mo.. and also I always get an itchy ear which ive had most of my life.. when im nervous i scratch my ear.. i have otic sol.. that i take and my nose sorta stopped itching and scabbing.. well all of a sudden,, my ear wouldnt stop itching and my one  eye is oozing too,, my nose was so sore i went to the dr.. and they took a culture of it.. they said that hopfully it was not sure how to spell it but impatego,, or hopefully not.. a staff inf.. i am on nose cream and batricban for 10 days please let it be something simple since i am getting elective surgery on the 17th and cant go if there is a staff inf.. it is red and the red spread under my nose.. a pipmple on top of my nose too and sooo scabby its sickening.. I wont even go out side.. people look like i have a disease which i hope i dont.. kids said i looked like rudolph and bozo ..
What you are describing is a classic soft tissue infection or "cellulitis," which  can be caused by many organisms -- all susceptible to certain antibiotics and not others.  Some organisms cause a pretty consistent set of symptoms and appearances that your primary care physician will be able to recognize but which you may not.  This may give him/her a better idea about which antibiotic to use to treat your infection.  Thus, it is important that you see your physician face-to-face; don't ask him/her for antibiotics over the phone or by email.  He/she will likely use an oral or topical (a cream) antibiotic (probably a penicillin or cephalosporin), and may give you a lidocaine cream in addition -- which is a local anaesthetic.  If he/she doesn't, a dilute cream is available OTC in any pharmacy.  Of course, not to be used in your eye!  Do not use neosporin cream as a home remedy, as extended use >7 days can lead to a nasty rash which would only further complicate your situation.

As far as Bactrim for soft tissue infection -- it is not wrong, but it is far from first line therapy, given its coverage.  A penicillin like oxacillin, or a cephalosporin like Keflex (cephalexin) are first line.  Again, these can be prescribed as creams or pills.

Eye infections are a different story, and your primary doctor will likely refer you to an opthalmologist to ensure that you don't end up with permanent vision problems because of this infection.

If you have a lesion like this that doesn't go away in 7-10 days or is causing you discomfort, you should see your primary care physician or nurse practitioner.  Any cyst should prompt you to see your primary doctor, because oral antibiotics are simply not effective without drainage of the cyst/abscess.  Sometimes this kind of thing will go away on its own, but can require hospitalization and IV antibiotics in extreme situations.

Bottom line - see your primary physician for any non-healing lesion, wound, or persistent hot/swollen/red area.

-E
In just the last few days the top bridge of my nose had gotten swollen and puffy red. It hurts like heck and I can bearly stand to wear my glasses.

Any ideas as to what it may be??

Thanks! Steph
The bridge of my nose is sore too - almost like I hit it on something.  It seems to look sort of sunburned too, but there's no reason for it to be.  It was sore about a week ago, then went away, but has come back again.  I'm interested in ideas too.  Thanks! SusanP
I've had a swollen nose (wow does it hurt to the touch) and can hardly stand to wear my glasses.  This is the third day.  I don't know if I should see a general practioner or ENT.  Please help!  I feel like a clown.

Thanks!
Kelly
If this could be a staph infection I went to get to the doctor asap.  Like Stephanie & Susan it looks like I hit it, but I did not.  I also had some scabs inside my nose about a week ago.  Ibuprofen, Alka Seltzer, warm compress & cold compress do not reduce the swelling.
Did you go to a primary care doctor / general practioner, ENT or ER?  Now I'm scared and want to get to the doc. asap.
I have all the symptoms everybody is describing... Sore nose, red, swollen and hurts like ****, nothing seems to work, headache like omg. If it is staph how in the world could you get it in the nose!!!
Ok - I went to the ENT Dr. (ear, nose and throat) / Otolaryngologist 10/23.  She just looked inside my nose and said that it's a sinus/staph infection.  She said it's not the serious staph and that everyone has staph in their nose.  She put me on a second round of antibiotic right away instead of messing around with the first round because she thought that they swelling was unusual.  The antibiotic I'm on is called "Avelox" and I saw improvement with the swelling in <24 hrs.  The swelling and paint is almost completely gone!

What a relief!  Good luck & take care!
I have had the red, throbbing, nose syndrom (syndrome) along with extreme headaches,( migraine & sinus) for the past few years.  Along with that though, I have mucous that seems trapped above the passage where it is blown out of nose.  I even had a septoplasty this past spring that took care of a deviated septum, a bone spur and something to do with my turbinates but this red nose thing with headaches still happens to me along with the fact that whenever I get sinus stuffiness, my nose cannot ever eliminate it.  It stays in sinuses or has to go down my throat. It is now 5AM and I had the usual red nose throbbing and swollen bridge this whole week followed with an excruciating headache at 3AM.  That is the usual cycle.  I am so frustrated and don't know where to go with this.
I would see a different ENT specialist to get another opion.  That just doesn't sound right.
Say for me.  I NEVER had any sinus troubles until about 4 years ago.  I have severe migraines, my nose smells aweful and up in the corners of my nose it gets sore and sometimes there is goey stuff.  It also swells in the inside. I don't understand it.  Are you more prone to allergies and sinus infections when you get older?  I think sometimes they are sinus infections; the other times, I have no idea what the problem is?  My doctor has given me bacitrin, but it doesn't help.  I am so sick of it.  SOMEONE HELP!!
I just read your post and I think for me my problems started a few years ago also when I had oral surgery that turned into a nightmare of pain in my face day and night and missing a month of work.  Have you had any oral surgery or tooth problems in the past four years?  I do believe somehow that a virus invaded my system at that time.  I did go to an ENT last week and he gave me an antibiotic for the soreness inside my nose and levaquin(antibiotic for bacterial infections).  It has helped a bit but tomorrow I will go for another sinus scan.  I do know in the past that the medradose pac (not sure of spelling) a steroid has helped in the past with sore swollen nose but they aren't good to stay on as they weaken the immune system.  There are answers for this I know.  Let me know how you are doing with your problem.

It all started a few days ago...My nose got really sensitive on the inner right side, then what appeared to be a zit/pimple came up. My nose is swollen and its making my entire face hurt. i got very irritated and popped the zit. for the last 24 hours ive been applying Campho-Phenique to it. It helps the pain a little bit but my nose is still red, swollen and sore to the touch. I feel like Kimbo Slice just punched me in the face!
I had a sore throat for the past few days.. Hard  to swallow..feels like a lump in my throat.  Went to the dr. and she gave me amoxicilin and said its was strep throat.  Today my right side of my nose is hot and swollen and my right jaw hurts and under my chin... not sure if I need to go back to the dr. or wait a few days to let the antibiotics work?
I would call the doctor and see what he/she says.  He/She may want you to come back in or give you a different antibiotic.  Good luck!
Last week I blew my noise and some blood was noticeable along with what appeared to be a small scab.  Since then the inside right nostril has been very painful with a hardening and swelling of the tissue.  I suspected it was infected.  I treated it with a warm sea salt solution applied to the inside of my nostril.  The warm salt water was very soothing and appears to have reversed the swelling and eliminated the pain.

The hard swollen area still remains, but it is smaller and the pain is almost completely gone.  My doctor prescribed an antibiotic in the event that my condition continues to worsen.  I did not fill the prescription yet.

I was worried when I read of the similar symptoms you all were experiencing.

Larry
I have had a really bad sore nose with crusty like stuff inside.  This started about 3 yrs. ago.  I have been on antibiotic after antibiotic.  This infection goes away while on the antibiotic but then it returns again after being off the antibiotic for a few weeks.  It is painful and I have headaches with sinus pain and pressure.  I just feel sick when I have this infection.  I have been told over and over again that it is staph and just take the meds and it will go away.  I have gone to three doctors and one of which told me to get a nose job and the second told me he wouldn't reculture it again and the last ENT doctor did sinus surgery on me and it is week 10 after surgery and the infection was back in two weeks and my cartilage is collapsed now so I can't breath out of the left side of my nose.  Now I am seeing yet another ENT doctor.  When will this end?  No one can get rid of it.  I am beginning to see some sort of a line going around my nose and inside this line it is somewhat swollen and red.  I am afraid I may lose my nose before someone can help me.

***@****
please help
you may have the MRSA staph...it needs intraveinous antibiotics...it  has been all over the news and is resistant to oral antibiotics...look it up and definitely get it chcked out...people have gotten VERY sick when it hasn't been taken care of correctly
ive had these little sores on the inside of my nostrils for about 3 weeks and my nose is very sensitive to  the touch and has an odor,does this sound like staph infection or does anyone know??????
I read this blog on Thursday, January 22nd, and immediately went to the doc because I had a swollen, red, very painful nose that felt like I got hit and did look like a rudolph nose!  It is MRSA.  I am taking heavy duty antibiotics orally and a gel inside my nose.  It is responding so far.  Don't hesitate.  Get it taken care of immediately!!!!!!!!  I just went to my primary care provider.  She knew what it was without hesitation.  The test came back positive today so thank goodness she had already prescribed the strongest antibiotic and I am already on my way to recovery:)
http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec08/ch091/ch091b.html
  This link is probly what most of you, and me, have.  Very sore to touch the point of nose and pain radiates up the bridge of nose.  Blood when blowing nose, both nostrils are sore.  The Mupirocin works within a day and a half.  

I have the same prob i had a nose surgery and after still have probs with crusts and scab and cant smell from side of nose does this sound familiar to the staph i cant sleep and blocked up all time it startin to get painful and red can u help with suggestions

shazzad1
I recently had the sore nose virus or staph thing. Horrible!! I also had a small rash like patch on my lower leg. Itched like crazy!!  I have found the CURE!!!!  GSE. I used it in my saline nasal rinse twice a day. It was completely gone in two days! Also gave immediate relief. Used it also on the rash twice a day with antibiotic ointment at night. Gone in four days! This stuff is a miracle!! Do the research, then get it at most health food stores for about fifteen dollars. I will never go without it! Good luck to all who are needing relief!
I recently came to this web page because I too had the mentioned symptoms. It started with a little bump on the inside of my right nostril on Sunday, then started swelling more and more. The pain was so intense, now I know what a sinus-related headache feels like-so bad. I went back and forth to different doctors. They all prescribed different antibiotics-first Keflex, then amoxicillan. Finally Thursday morning, I woke up and the skin around my right eye was beginning to swell, and then I really started worrying. I went back to the ER and they told me I had MRSA staph. They gave me Bactrim and also gave me an IV with Zosyn antibiotic for about 30 minutes. Then I had to go to an Ear,Nose, and Throat doctor who ended up draining the abcess (abscess) in my nose. As soon as he did, it was like a weight had been lifted off my face. Friday morning the swelling had gone down significantly. I have to take Bactrim for the next 10 days, and it's a pretty powerful drug. Anyways-moral of the story-DO NOT wait! Go to the doctor because if I had waited, who knows where it would've spread. Once something like this affects your sinuses, it's very close to the brain and pretty serious!
I have the troubling inner nostril cysts that scab, and horrible itching inside the nostrils.

I believe caused by bacteria actively trying to eat into my body.

Here's what I do,

1. the nostril cyst scab, first I trim the nose hair.

Then use a small flash mag lite in one hand and tweezers in the other it remove the scab, while holding up the nose with the flashlight hand/finger.

Next, I set a cupful of rubbing alcohol and peroxide by the sink, using a wisp, (miniature toothbrush) and running warm water, alternate the alcohol and water, I scrub the inside of the nostril and remove all the particles. Next I use alternating peroxideand water and scrub it out.

Finally I put triple antibiotic gel on the brush and apply it to the inside of the nose.

The cysts are history, and the attacking bacteria that causes itching,
I attack it as fast as it attacks me and knock it down immediately.

WORKS EVERY TIME!!!

Why cant doctors tell you this, wtf?

I use a cap full of each peroxide and alcohol and dip the tiny wisp toothbrush into the cap to load the brush.
I have been having similar symptoms as every else on here..painful swelling in the right nostril. Except I have been to my primary care, 2 other primary care, an ER doctor and an ENT. All said it is cellulitis; I've been given Keflex, Bactrim and Clindomycin on several occasions and it still keeps coming back. This is now coming on to 8 months since I first starting having this problem....am I frustrated and worried as to whether I will ever get rid of this? YES!! Am I worried that this constant antibiotic use is going to do more harm than good? YES!! So now what?
After comparing notes with a good friend who also happens to be a doctor, we decided that we get these most commonly when a) we don't keep our fingernails short, or when our cuticles get really rough b) we don't keep our nails and fingers clean and c) we pick our noses and/or d) we get spit on the edge of the nostril / in the nostril.  (Like when your grandma maybe used to spit on a kleenex to clean your face when you were tiny!)

Staph is normal on the surface of the skin, and even in the mouth and to some degree in the nose.  Many strains are not dangerous, and they won't go through membranes.  We figure the problem comes from a combination of introducing a particular strain of bacteria, combined with the tiny abrasions caused by fingernails or rough cuticles.  Does this apply to you?  If you're a nose-picker, and many people are, here's how to check. First, wash your fingers really well, including scrubbing your nails. (No need to create a new problem, right?) Next, gently stick the most likely picking finger in your nose, and see if the really painful spots in your nose--the ones that get infected or get in-nose pimples--line up naturally with your fingernails and/or cuticle. That's the tip-off.  

Prevention: either don't pick your nose---ever!--or at least, keep your fingernails short, your cuticles smooth, and only pick when your hands are freshly and well washed.  Avoid touching your mouth and then digging back in your nose. I don't know if it is necessary, but I also bleach or boil my handkerchiefs after an outbreak.

If you do start to notice any pain towards the tip of your nose, up towards the bridge, grab a Q-tip and try packing that corner of your nose with plain old over-the-counter antibiotic (like bacitracin or neosporin) if available in your country, and keep doing that 2 or 3 times a day until a few days after all symptoms and sensation goes away.  (The same way you're supposed to take all your antibiotic pills, even if the symptoms go away early).  Unlike open cuts, which mostly heal fine either way, the OTC antibiotic makes a huge difference.
I get these infections of the nose all the time. I think because of my job as an electrician and always crawling in spaces with mold and rodent feces. Nice huh.. I usually wear a mask when I know I'll be going in a nasty area but I'm in and out so much it becomes a hassle. I've gone to many doctors and have received many treatments none of which did much good. I finally found something that works and it's called Tea Tree Oil. It may not be intended for the inner nose but i apply it as soon as I notice the painful swelling start and within two or three days the infection is cleared up. To apply it I put four or five drops on the end of a q-tip and saturate the infected area, once in the morning and once at night. It's smelly, but it works for me.
I am a 28 year old male, I have gradually over the years had cistic lesions on the back of my neck under the hair which thankfully cannot be sen regularly. Sometimes I shave my head and it is apparent, whereas sometimes it is not. I went to a dermatologist in high school and he gave some topical cream but it didnt really do much good, as over th eyears between two to four months I may get one painful lesion on my nose which I assumed was from the oils rubbing on my pillow then subsequently rubbing to that side of my face particularly my nose.
Now the past few weeks at work, I thought it was strange that my left nostril was getting a weird sensitive irritation near the closer part of my nostril . I would blow my nose before or after a sneeze and sometimes a bit of blood. That was about a month ago. Now two days ago I just thought there's some sort of pimple on my left side of the outside of my nose. It was swelling and I figured i could take care of it with a rotation of clinique emergency clay mask as i dabbed it with some and some Aubrey organics Natural herbal oil balancing mask.
But I noticed something more, I usually figured after this process I could , as the skin was becoming thinner and the zit easier to break I could eleveate the pian by piercing it with a needle or simply squeezing it to release the pus and blood. However I noticed it felt like maybe another zit was forming above it. It is 4.00 am now and I have been looking up these symptoms, because i felt a sore lymph under my left jaw corresponding to the left side of my nostril.
I noticed on these posts people talking of thinking a zit was forming and not considering it otherwise. However the sensitive swelling under my left jaw, same side of my face is apparent. I've been taking an allergy relief pill and also ibuprofem sometimes as I have itchy skin at nights .
My day job has me being face to face with customers and this is kind of hard to cover up with make up as the swelling is painfully pronounced.
I am not experiencing headaches, but really never do, however the sweeling is producing a considerable throb I feel like I got punched on the lef t sideof my nose. My eye is kinda feeling dry but no significant amount of ooze to speak of.
What should I do?
i have recently gotten a sore in my nose that is very painful, my nose is swollen and very painful, i can't even blow my nose or stand for anyone to touch it. I also have recurring sty's in both my eyes, as soon as 1 clears up another one comes in the opposite eye, they never go away except for about 2 days. I wash my hands frequently before going to bathroom and after. I have now 2 sty's in my left eye, this makes 9 in the last 6 weeks.
Please Help
Just like a majority of folks here I have had symptoms similar to yours for over a year. Extremely painful and embarrassing.I tried everything available at over the counter (Neosporine-like ointments mostly), but nothing worked. Last week I went to a Dermatologist, and she prescribed me the ointment called MUPIROCINE (trade name "BACTROBAN").
So today is my fourth day since I've started my course  - and all the pain is GONE. The Doctor said it should take about 6-7 days for the drug to work, but I feel myself much, much better already!
PLEASE - go to your Dermatologist and tell him/her about BACTROBAN.  
i just got my piercing today and my friends mom sed tat if it gets infected the doctor people have to cut of a big piece of ur nose is tat TRUe?
i have had MRSA about six times it has popped up in left nostril as well as right it gets really nasty......i have recently went to doctor when my nose flared up on tuesday and by wednesday my nose was red swollen throbbing and swelling went all the way to the right cheek and right eye i was able to relieve some pressure when it popped but didnt get much out this stuff is serious i usually can use warm wash cloth to break up and squeeze out but not this time was seriously nasty do not mess around with it doctor took swab and what do you know mrsa again i really hate living with staph i never go to doctors but had to reachout this time thanks for listening brian
Bactroban available online without prescription. $13.25 for 15 grams:

http://well.ca/brand/bactroban.html
I have had the same thing.....Sore nose, Red, and like a blister inside the left nostril.  Head has been killing me.  I went to the doctor last night and it so happens I have MRSA is my nose.  The doc gave me a antibiotic which I started taking last night.  Very Serious sense MRSA is highly dangerous if not treated.  The doc said if I would not have came when I did he probably would had to cut and drained it.  Hopefully it gets well soon.
I got my nose pierced 3 months ago and all of a sudden my right nostril has swollen up and is VERY VERY painful to the point I can't fall asleep and I try to clean it too see if it helps and it still doesn't can anyone help me?
Thank you for that valiable information.was battling with the red swelling inside my nose and got something called nasivion this was to help the swelling go and also open my nose blocage but see the phamasit was off target.will go and see a doctor. Anymore info send to my email ***@****
If you do have a boil in your nose the antibiotics may not help.  I had one on my elbow and took antibiotics for almost two weeks and it just got worse.  My whole arm was numb.  The doctor told me that when you have a boil sometimes the only solution is to have it cut and drained. I did not want it cut but after he did it drained and was back almost to normal after 2 days.
I get this type sore whenever I start pulling hairs out of my nose without first cleaning my nose with antiseptic with a swab. If this is a problem use salt after blowing your nose with water, not with a tissue. Well, the treatment that I use is washing my face every 2-3 hours to remove the grease/oil that accumulates on and around the boil. This will soon within 24 hours reduce the headache and the pain on the boil. You might get an infection later so take lots to drink and green tea and vitamin C and lots of fruit and salad. Do not use any antibiotics. Sleep a lot.
Try Active Manuka Honey 16+ for your nose and MRSA issues, I swear it's a sweet (pun very much intended) miracle antibiotic-like but all natural cure! I avoid antibiotics like the plague, so I was thrilled to discover this honey. And besides, MRSA is some nasty staph thing that's considered to be incurable, it becomes antibiotic-resistant--basically, it somehow 'learns' to change itself so that antibiotics don't harm it. Manuka Honey is, reportedly, so far the only thing that this MRSA infection hasn't 'learned' how to resist. Here's my torrid tale: My nose was irritated and itchy and sometimes very painful, it felt like something was eating the skin inside my nostrils. I couldn't stop blowing it and I found tiny little black specks in what I blew out. It got so bad the middle part of my nose and the space between my nose and mouth became very swollen, so much so that when I smiled you couldn't even see my upper teeth...even worse, my teeth were all loose and I thought they'd be falling out! Then my thumb (?!) began to hurt and a boil-like thing started forming on it. I was in such pain I thought I was surely on the verge of death and finally went to see a doctor. Without even examining me, but just looking at my thumb, he prescribed antibiotics and told me to also take Claritin-D. I did and after about a week and a half everything cleared up. BUT in a short time, it all started again. For some reason I'd been craving honey and, oddly, one day found a jar of this Manuka Honey someone had left on the street (I live in San Francisco and that's a 'normal' thing 'round here). Anyways, I grabbed the jar and went home and had a big spoonful...I also rubbed it on and in my nose and on my thumb that was starting to feel painful again. In a short time, my thumb felt great and I'd stopped the very irritating sniff sniff blowing of my nose I'd come to be doing like every 5 minutes of the day. I cannot tell you how thrilled I was, ELATED even. As anyone who has any of these issues knows, it's like a living hell. Anyways, I went and Googled the honey and voila found out the info I'm sharing with you now. The honey is made by bees in New Zealand and very special--it contains (don't quote me) something like peroxide and antibiotic-like things that not only help you with MRSA, but also hard-to-heal wounds, wrinkles, stomach ulcers and more.  It's a bit pricey, but well worth it! I found it at Whole Foods and it's even considered a "food" item for those of you who are broke and use an EBT card. So, ailing peoples, go for the manuka honey and good luck!!!
I have the same thing right now. I big swollen bump on my nose. It got better and now its bad again. Really red. Do you know what it could be.
One home remedy that gave me tremendous relief last weekend ( had 2 cysts in my right nostril) was a paste of sea salt and baking soda. Mix equal amounts of the 2 together with drops of water to form the paste. Put it on the outside of your nose over the cysts. The relief from the pain was so amazing that I did this 3X a day. By sunday night, both cysts had opened and I was on the mend.
right  side nose  firstly 1 pimple created in inner side then outer side 3 pimple created with lot of swelling before the pimple creation cold ,runny nose  till today even cure cold nor pimples are cure and nose colour is red so please give me a suggestion for that deasese
i had a pimple on left nostril and swelling on left check, having seen the dr. gave me zinoximor anitbotic, improvements
had anybody experience and relief from same prob. please advise
I had this problem for nearly two months. Started inside my right nostril. Horrible big scab, sore nose. Treated it with Savlon on a Q-Tip. Seemed to be getting better than the other nostril got infected. Right nostril actually came good but my left nostril refused to respond to the Savlon.
A three weeks ago it really flared up. The whole left side of my nose was an angry red/purple color and sore as hell. Then my left eye started to run and the top front (eye) teeth on the left side of my jaw started to ache. Freaked me out.
My wife ordered me to go to the doctor for antibiotics but having read this forum a month or so earlier I wasn't too confident of the outcome.
Instead, I decided on my own strategy. Having thought about it I concluded that if it was a staph infection, the bacteria were most likely on the outside of my nose and lower face as well as now in the nostril. What I did was get a tube of Dettol Antiseptic cream and apply it to each (yes, both) nostril about 4 or 5 times a day. More in the left nostril than the right as it was the problem one. What I also did though was to rub the cream all over the lower (infected) part of the outside of my nose, on the opening of each nostril and on the upper lip area. My theory was that while I was able to clear up the original infection I was continually re-infecting it from the outside.
Anyway, seems to have worked. I've now been infection clear for the last week. I will continue treatment for at least another week, although now just three times a day. All feels good so hope this helps someone out there. By the way, the Dettol cream is a bit stronger than the Savlon and stings the sensitive parts of the nostril for about 5 or 10 minutes after each application. Worth putting up with though.
Just tried this for similar but not so severe symptoms-mixed 4-5 drops gse into a glass and then sprayed in a bunch of saline spray.   Then used a small dropper to put this all up in my left nostril. Seemed to help, so we will see...
this is what I have. i hate it. Do you know what it is? I need to get rid of it!
I live in New Zealand and i've had problems with staph. I normally have active manuka honey on my toast :-) it supposed to be really healthy. although i've been told not to use it on wounds because it's not sterile. But we do have medical grade mauka honey, it's a natural antibiotic which is sold in pharmacies. i used it for a cut i once had and, yes, it is the best thing ever!! i couldn't belive how fast my cut healed. that's cool that you found it, because here not too many people know about medical honey either.  
herpees! simplex or #3 take Valtrex (perscription) and AND antibiotic cuzz' staff is always a problem ... I am taking my 3rd course of valtrex and septosporin in the last 2 months. I used to get headaches and then ear infections , then antibiotcs. NOW with the valtrex I have been given a new lease on pain management and life!
herpees! simplex or #3 take Valtrex (perscription) and AND antibiotic cuzz' staff is always a problem ... I am taking my 3rd course of valtrex and septosporin in the last 2 months. I used to get headaches and then ear infections , then antibiotcs. NOW with the valtrex I have been given a new lease on pain management and life
My daughter kicked me in the nose by accident playing and it cut the inside of my nose.   Two days of doctors not knowing why my face and head was swelling up landed me in the hospital.  In time.   Three days in the hospital on an IV.   It was a staph infection.  When admitted I looked like the elephant man and could not breath right.   Don't mess with it.
Mine has come and gone every few weeks for a few months now! Did you find a treatment for it?  
wonder if that is same as medi-honey???
Yesterday my right nostril was tender and the whole right side of my nose swollen. I have been swiping a triple antibiotic ointment in my nostril with a q-tip 2-3 times a day and the swelling and tenderness have greatly reduced. I believe it was some bacterial infection or staph/cellulitis. If after a day or two this doesn't work definitely see your doctor, as it could be serious.
I get a red painful nose occasionally. I believe it is a yeast/fungal infection because I also had that in my sinuses for 2 1/4 years. I control it successfully by taking Colloidal silver (10mls twice a day) and also spraying it on my nose. Doctors just wanted to give me anti-biotics which always made it worse.
Hi all, by the sounds of how similar all these stories are it is staff. It lives in everyone's nose and no strain is completely identical. When your immunity is low and you scratch your nose or blow it excessively the staff can get under your skin and spread. You will know it because your glands will swell and be sore. Be kind to yourselves with diet and sleep etc.
Do some research on options and try to keep it as natural as possible but realize you need medical help because if your not careful it can get very serious. This thing is the scourge of modern society due to toxins and stress with are pretty much the same thing.
Real green tea, good food, sleep even regular sex will help. Stay positive and good luck.

P.s. I am in the same situation including staff under my arms, in my groin, and on my bum! It *****, but I am fighting the good fight.
Hi,after reading your post,I felt I must write because in my experience with staph,as this is what it seems for most people posting with symptoms,I have to share that I have had multiple staph infections.some very serious.the threat of staph can be especially serious in any are with potential spread to the brain and blood stream.a doctor must evaluate staph and culture the findings to determine what antiobiotic works best to prevent further concerns.everyone here should seek medical advise regarding these type symptoms.staph can be brought on due to exposure,weake immune system ,heigen in some cases,which in that case I would say when not infected it is good to take measures to disinfect,but once you have staph do not ever pick at scabs,whether you have alcohol or peroxide on hand or not.in some cases antibacterial soap can help the affected area,but our bodies naturally have bacteria and staph is usually found in the nose,so a balance of good bacteria should still remain,but we should never take a chance to spread further the infection by disturbing the area.with a doctor in certain cases,they will steralize and sometimes puncture and lance the area but I would trust them to do that...I have never had a doctor advise me to do this method because of the potential threat.its important to always try to stay germ free as much as possible,avoid settings where germs are prominent If possible,such as hospitals where staph can spread rapidly,around people infected etc,but antiobiotic treatment is a must and shouldn't be ignored.it isn't good to self medicate or perform small procedures on ones self in this case.I know sometimes one could question a doctor,saying why wouldn't they tell us something we think is so simple,but without being treated for staph,perhaps you had something else that cleared up during your treatment process,that wasn't infact staph and are attributing it to that..I personally know that my staph has become potentially life threatening and not only that,I'm allergic to all but one antibiotic,and the only one I can take gives me severe problems.but I know I was instructed to keep the area clean,covered and apply compresses.I was never instructed to remove scabbing etc. And I don't feel that anyone should do so,especially involving mucus membranes,sinus cavity,blood etc.should it continue,it could prove dangerous or even fatal.another thing that makes people prone to staph is the misuse of antibiotics,for example not taking regurally,starting n not finishing or overuse..too many doctors give antibiotics without first investigating into whether or not the illness they aim to treat is infact bacterial in nature or viral.as we know antibiotics do not treat viruses..I would plead with everyone in the future,unless they're sure it is a bacteria that needs an antibiotic,do not jump into taking them without knowing..our bodies will be at risk of bacterium becoming immune to that med,stronger and mutate.if we ever have to take the same med later,it will do no good,as the bacteria would have become immune from previous incorrect usage..but what concerned me here,and I'm only trying to be helpful is that I have spent many years around the medical field and time and time again,people try to do home remedies,self diagnosis,self medication etc. And the best thing to do is seek treatment .many things on the internet that I've seen have given people the wrong impression,bad or wrong advise and I know people meanwell,so I don't aim to put anyone down,but unless I have full knowledge medically,I never offer up advise that could put someone in danger or leave them misinformed.there are a lot of remedies and myths out there that aren't truthful or helpful and though people mean well,I've seen all too many times where they didn't know the right method to go about and cause others to repeat their act,and while it may work for one person possibly bc they don't infact have the same illness,it could be devastating to another should they follow that advise.please understand that I'm not trying to put anyone down,I just wanted to offer help that hopefully will encourage everyone to do what's best for their health and those others who read info online in search of answers.if any of you visit a doctor who isn't attentive to your concerns and doesn't explain things clearly and respectfully,remember,you can go somewhere else.would you take your car to only one mechanic if you felt they were cheating you or not being upfront??no!you would say,I'm going to get another estimate and leave,so don't settle for bad medical advise .our bodies are ours and a doctor is there to help,not hold his knowledge over our heads and make us feel we have no options or other choices or decisionmaking when it comes to our health.but in this case,I know a doctor wouldn't give the advise of peroxide and alcohol,while removing scabs,because it is wrong advise
You should definitely go to the Dr for an antibiotic, you have all the symptoms of a sinus infection
I've just been diagnosed with staph, and though the infection was really bad a year ago, I'm not suffering much now -- the sores have simply persisted on my skin.  After reading all of the above, I'm glad I resisted my doctor's suggestion to go on antibiotics for a month; I'm trying several home remedies now (vitamin C + antibacterial soap + daily shower + diluted alcohol on skin + probiotics) while I wait for the test results to come in.  My question is:  should I agitate to continue with these home remedies, or (given that the infection WAS so bad last year, & given what other folks have said) should I go for the month of antibiotics, to try to wipe out the staph from my system?  Does it stay dormant & flare up (sort of the like the herpes virus, though it's not a virus)?  Or can it ever go away?
I am going through the same thing right now and that is how I came across your post. I have had MRSA (skin not respiratory) twice before and I think I have it again. It's a little scarier this time because the abscess in the right nostril is so painful and now I have a headache, swollen gland in the left side of my neck, the roof of my mouth on the left side, burning and pain on my let cheek and lip and I have been on Bactrim for about 3 days and applying ointment to the sore. I keep thinking since it's Sunday I want to go to the hospital and get checked but I'll feel like a jerk if there is nothing they can do. Please let me know if you get any answers and good luck.
I've had an off & on infection (not sure if staph or ?, yet) just inside nostrils, probably from various hair removal methods causing irritation.

Local clinic nurse gave me several free samples of Bacitracin Zinc Ointment USP (each sample in a foilpac), manufactured by E. Fougera & Co. (Pharmaceutical company in Melville, NY).

I tried using it twice yesterday, and it caused the infection to start to get worse, and also it felt like I had drunk 20 cups of coffee (revved me up/agitation).

I called the company (E. Fougera), and asked what the ingredients were. They said Bacitracin antibiotic and petroleum jelly ("proprietary")--"proprietary" means there are secret ingredients that they refused to tell me what they are. I'm waiting for a call-back, to find out what those ingredients actually are.

Meanwhile, I looked on the internet for natural ways to treat nasal infections in nostrils, and found this wonderful forum! Last night and this morning, I tried raw (organic) honey, using q-tips, to apply to insides of nostrils (just a little). NO BAD REACTIONS AT ALL! It felt soothing, and healing.

I'm going to continue using the raw honey, to see if it works.

If anyone has a depressed immune system, they should avoid eating RAW honey, and use COOKED honey, instead. Why? Because raw honey may contain botulism bacterial spores, that get activated when they enter an immune-suppressed person (sick, having AIDS, etc.). (I'm not sure whether raw honey would be OK for immune compromised folks, for healing infections in nose--check with your doc first. Otherwise, use cooked honey, until you know for sure about using raw honey).

I'm also going to find out if the nostril infection is just local, or (hopefully not) "systemic"--beyond the nose.

So, thank you to ManukaHoneyGirl, and all of you using honey, and also to Dr. Weil's website that talks about using honey for infections, too.

I'm glad I found this neat forum!

Concerned Lady/Carol

this happened to me.  I think it is related to allergies.  I am going to see a ent doctor.  I also have headaches and a sore throat.  I put makeup on  to cover the red rash.
Ive had crusty red sores in my nose for almost 5 yrs and i finally got to an ent. Im getting surgery in a couple weeks, hes removing soft tissue. I hope this helps. When i first got an infection in my nose, i had gotten bells palsy which devastated me. I cant take the pain anymore. Ive put all kinds of oitments in there to help soften it, then the dr gave me muciprin which helps but ive also used clear iodine. Read up on the health benefits of iodine. I seen a website saying its good for staph in the nose..it burns like hell but it helps dry out the ooz.. good luck yall
I would get sores on the inside of my nose near the folds. I thought it was a nose ulcer. My nose and the bridge of my nose would get sore. The outer rim would become red and swollen. My PCP told me to just put some Neosporin on it. It came back a few months ago. I thought I had a sinus infection so I went to the minute clinic. I mentioned it to the PA but she told me to just leave it alone. Three weeks later I still had it. Went to the dermatologist a few days ago. They did a swab of my nose to test to see if it was viral, fungal or bacteria. It came back as a Staph infection and I was resistant to most antibiotics except one of the sulfa drugs. All this time I thought it was because I had allergies or a sinus infection. So glad I followed through with this. My father in law and former student are in the hospital with staph infections at the moment.