Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Fatigue, chronic dizziness, ear fullness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hi all, hoping I can find some answers here - all my life, I've suffered from ear problems (fullness and discomfort that cannot be helped much) and anxiety.  A year ago, I started to feel tired and spacey and found out I have a thyroid disorder which has been stable for several months now.  The problem is I've been dizzy (not like vertigo so much but more like a slight imbalane), and fatigued on-and-off for months (sometimes I have slight pain and ringing in my ears also and a slightly sore throat on-and-off too).  I've been checked out many times - blood pressure is great, no diabetes or hypoglycemia, no hormonal problems, no visible ear infection, etc, etc. I visited the ENT about six months ago for ear pressure and spaciness but he couldn't find anything wrong, nor any fluid in my ears.  I've looked online and wondered about meniere's syndrome (sp?), TMJ (I do grind my teeth at night and every so often experience tenderness along my jaw line and near my ears)....I've pondered anxiety (it's certainly prevalent in my family and in my own history) but even my therapist says its sounds like a medical issue is behind my anxiety...I have another ENT appt. in a couple weeks with the same man as last time who has a terrific reputation, but I'm afraid he may just blow me off like many others have...I feel as though I'm living only half my life and it's affecting my emotional state, my energy, and my relationships.  Anyone know what to make of it?  Thank you!
Bump
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. You are experiencing repeated episodes of dizziness (imbalance) and a sense of disassociation. These symptoms could occur with problems in the inner ear, the brain and the cranial nerves. If the ENT examination does not reveal anything, he may then refer you to a neurologist. Investigations like X rays and MRI will help to arrive at a diagnosis for appropriate therapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you.  I've been wanting an MRI or CAT for awhile just to rule things out but my dad, who is a doctor, gave me some neurological tests at home - standing on one foot, etc, etc, and truly believes it's anxiety or ear-related, though I'm not convinced.  My anxiety recently has been fine and I still feel imbalanced.

Thanks for the input.
In addition, I need reassurance that I'm driving the doctors crazy.  I try not to voice my concerns too often but at the same time, I feel as though I may be being misdiagnosed - anxiety - am I not my best advocate?  I know my body more than anyone, after all.  
Pardon that error - "that I'm NOT driving the doctors crazy."
Scheduled for an MRI on the 30th...see what happens.  I wonder if that would show TMJ...?  Definitely, it would show inner ear inflammation, correct?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

An MRI test show help detect any structural abnormalities. Also, an auditory brain stem response (ABR), which is a computerized test of the hearing nerves and brain pathways and caloric stimulation tests may be needed to diagnose the cause for your symptoms.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I would really love to know your outcome on this! I have been experiencing the same things for so long. I just assumed after beingtd I have anxiety that that's what it was. Some days are better than others but lately it's been getting bad. I have ear, nose and throat problems. Ihaventbeen able to smell for almost 2 yrs, and this "spacey" feeling I keep getting is annoying.  I almost feel uncomfortable to drive or do simple things. And I'm tired all the time. I'm a student and my sleep schedule is wacked. I got to bed anywhere from 12-3 or 4 am and get up anytime from 8ish -10 or 11. I know I eat too much sugar so I've been trying to ween myself. I know I need to drink more water and I don't. I just want to feel normal again and not feel crazy.