Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Feeling of blocked ears

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Feeling of blocked ears

About 3 weeks ago I woke up with a feeling of having a blocked ear in my left ear and decreased hearing, 5 days later it unblocked and was fine, every morning it was blocked again but unblocked within 20 minutes of being awake. However about 5 days after it unblocked, it reblocked again and has been blocked since, however, the feeling of being blocked has almost completely gone but the hearing has not returned to 100%, furthermore, there is a constant ringing in my left ear. I have had a cold (sore throat, cough, runny nose etc.) for the past 4 days but no fever or anything serious. I'm just curious as to whether I should contact a doctor or wait it out. If you have any further questions I'll be happy to answer them.
I have had ear problems for years, and I am 38 now. When I get colds, or sinus issues then the blocked feeling/fluid build up is because of it.  I would say if your ear is not real painful then maybe wait it out a few more days, otherwise go to your PCP and have him look in your ear.  It's possible the pressure, even if you dont feel it, is aiding in you not hearing very well. I have and ear infection, or something to that matter right now in my right ear.  The dr washed out my ear and a big chuck of black/grey stuff came out.  Ikky. Ive had a fungus infection in my ear 2 times before and thats what this felt like, so I was prescribed Augmentin for a regular ear infection, but it does nothing for me, so i got online and there was a home remedie of drops of white vinegar in the ear. So i did it and it helped my pain a lot. this was before dr flushed my ear out.  So i think the vinegar killed the fungus, but now its oozing clear fluid when i tilt my head, and its plugged.  It has been plugged the entire 5 days.  Its really annoying. lol well good luck with your ear, hope it clears up for you very soon. Take Care!!
It's called Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, and if diagnosed as that, there's no effective treatment.  Often, it goes away on its own, but it takes a while.  Meanwhile, you should visit a doc to make sure it is in fact ETD.