Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Feels like im walking on a boat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Feels like im walking on a boat

Hello everyone. For the past few weeks since my daughter has been born, ive been experiencing a sensation of walking pn a boat. It started a few days after I came home from the hospital. I had this same problem after I had my son in june 2010 and it went away in the end of august and I never knew the cause. Does anyone know what can cause this? Its a horrible feeling and hard to function witj it. I also get pressure and tingling in my head pain behind my left eye and pain in my left ear also get really bad headaches. Im hoping it will go away sooner than afew months. If snyone has any advice I really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!
Not sure if this could be inner ear related or migraine related.  

Have you seen your physician about this?  

It does sound like hormone fluctuations could be playing a role in this.  
Thanks for your reply. I went to the drs yesterday and he said it will go away on its own and can be from losing blood after I had the baby. But I dont think hes right. Its not a dizzy feeling. Its an unsteady feeling :( I feel nauseous with it too
Well, did he draw any labs to check your red count and iron level?  Sounds like he just "brushed you off."  

Yes, something is wrong dear.  He needs to order some basic labs and if those come back clean order an MRI of your head/brain WITH contrast.  If that is clean.....then consult an ENT Specialist or a Neurologist.    

I am not sure if you are dealing with an iron deficiency/anemia secondary to the delivery or if this is your inner ear, i.e. Labyrinthitis.  
He looked in my ears and said they were fine and he ordered blood work as well. I made an appointment with both a neuro and ent for next week. This is really bad I feel so sick and I have two children at home and am home alone all day. Im really wondering what causes this especially since ive had it before for a few months. The doc def brushed it off didnt mention mri etc. :/
Yes, someone needs to be investigating what is wrong.  I swear, some physicians; it is getting worse and worse with the care.  You have to be your own advocate because alot of physicians just DON'T care.  It just seems alot of them want to shove their patients off without really investigating the problem or they want to prescribe meds to cover up the real issue.  Well, at least he ordered some labs.  Let's just hope he ordered the appropriate ones.  He can order an MRI too, however, the ENT Specialist or the Neurologist can too.  

Is this doctor your OBGYN or regular physician?  

Well....I really feel for you being like this and having to deal with two small children; not easy.  Do you have any family that can help you out during the day dear?  
Its my regular doctor. I threw up 6times today and im in the er now waiting for a catscan. As far as having anyone to help me in the day.. I dont :( I currently cant turn my head without feeling nauseous this really *****
Well....oh dear.  I feel for you.  

Get the CT scan done and go from there.  Did they give you something for the nausea and vomiting?  I hope so.  

Hang in there dear.  Keep me posted.  
They gave me nausea meds which helped and meclizine for dizziness which isnt helping and torodol for the headache and its not helping either. The catscan was normal and the blood work was normal. He said I need to see a neuro and have an mri which my appt is for the 26th. So well see :/
Well....see the Neurologist and get the MRI done.  

I am thinking this COULD be Labyrinthitis.  

So sorry you have to wait and you still aren't really feeling better.  
Thank you. & how is that diagnosed? Im hoping they find out whats wrong with me soon!
Well....usually the physician will do a physical exam and will ask you about your symptoms and when they began. It is important you are very precise about this.  Vestibular testing and/or other testing should be ordered as well.  The Neurologist or an ENT Specialist should be able to treat you IF this is an inner ear issue.  Let me warm you though, inner ear issues can be STUBBORN to treat.  Not 100% sure if this is one though.
Thanks& yea im def gunna see the neuro next wweek. Do you know how thats diagnosed?
My last post states how this can be diagnosed.  

Keep me posted.  
Sorry just realized I posted twice. I was a little better today thank god but not 100% .. Gunna see what the neuro says next week
Make sure the Neurologist does or you get the:

1. the Vestibular testing-this checks the inner ear

2. the MRI of the brain/head WITH contrast.  

He may order more labs as well.  

Keep me posted dear.  I am glad you are feeling a bit better.  
Ill def make sure. I hope hes a good neuro & can figure out whats wrong. Im also feeling a bit better today too. More energy less headache and the feeling of being on a boat comes and goes thru out the day. Last time when I had it it was constant for almost 3months so im glad its not as bad this time but id still like to feel 100% normal real soon!
Hi, just an update.. I went to the neuro and had vestibular testing done.. I was told I have bppv on both sides and im going in for the treatment on monday. Hopefully it works!
Thank goodness you got a diagnosis for what is wrong with you.  I wasn't thinking BPPV because none of your complaints posted here were vertigo with head movements, however, it is great you are being helped and treated.  

Do the Vestibular Rehabilitation and go from there.  It might take some time for this to resolve, however, don't give up and hang in there.  

The lady said bppv can cause an off balance feeling and although I dont get vertigo I do get dizzy when I move my head around. She didnt mention nothing about therapy just about some treatment their gunna do in the office thats a one time thing. Should I ask for therapy?
I am assuming they will be doing maneuvers (treatments) in the office on you to treat this, so it sounds like they are treating you appropriately.   Sometimes, Vestibular therapy is ordered.  

First see if these treatments work.  If they don't, then ask about Vestibular therapy.  
Ok, thank you!
I will warn you that this usually isn't a "quick fix" meaning this could take a while to treat and resolve.  Keep in mind I stated "could" not "will".

Keep me posted dear.  I wish you a speedy recovery.  

O ok, I hope it is though! but I had my mri today hoping its clean and they have the right diagnosis & that I get better soon. I posted another thread but im gunna ask you.. Do you know how they determine whats wrong with you in an eng? It seems that inner ear and brain disorders cause nystagmus not sure if I spelled it right.. But yea, so how would they whats wrong if all the inner ear and brain problems cause the same symptoms? Thanks again for your help!
You had an ENG already, correct?  Well, you should have if you had vestibular testing.  

The ENG will determine IF the "dizziness" is coming from your brain or inner ear.  

Your symptoms, the physician's thorough assement, the vestibular testing and imaging in combination will determine the correct diagnosis.  
BTW:  I went through and still deal with problems related to my inner ear.  It all started with BPPV then Labyrinthitis.  At first I was told I had Ménière's disease then I was correctly diagnosed with Unresolved Labyrinthitis.  So, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about plus I work in the medical field as well.  
Dealt with the "floating on a boat" sensation for about 2 1/2 years now.  The sensation is less and less nevertheless is NO fun.  I stay active and work and try not to focus on it; that helps.  
Hi! I had the eply manuver done today which didnt help at all. My headache is still here and im really thinking I have migraine associated vertigo as I have all the symptoms. I go back to the neuro next week and im going to bring up this possibility. So upset that the treatment didnt help :(
I should have mentioned inner ear disorders are 1. Difficult to treat and 2. Difficult to CORRECTLY diagnose because inner ear disorder symptoms overlap from disorder to disorder.  

You may need another treatment or 2.  

Trust me, this will probably not be any easy fix.  

To be honest, I don't think you are dealing with BPPV.  

Hang in there dear; don't give up.  
Discuss the possibility of MAV with the Neuro and see what he/she says.  It's difficult for me to say this is Ménière's disease because you had not mentioned complaints of tinnitus or hearing issues.  Did you have an Audiogram done?  

I have my doubts about this being BPPV.  
I have ringing in my ears but it comes and goes but thats also a symptom of mav. I really feel like thats what it is especially since it can be hormone related. I honestly feel like the eply has made me feel worse ..even moving my eyes and head around feels weird and sometimes makes me dizzy. This is very frustrating
Ringing in the ears; that can also be a symptom of Ménière's too.  I can't agree this is any MAV.  

Sounds like the Epley maneuver caused/induced nystagmus.  Sometimes this can happen and you might feel worse before feeling better.  

Any bloodwork done in regards to a hormone panel?  

Did you have an Audiometry test done (hearing test)?  This is in regards to determining if this is Ménière's or not.  
I dont think they checked my hormones and no I didnt have a hearing test, just an eng and mri and I guess regular blood work
Well.....have the Neuro completely rule out Ménière's.  You need an Audiometry.  The graph from the Audiometry will follow a certain pattern if this is Ménière's.

Secondly, do discuss ALSO the possibility of this being MAV as well with the Neuro since it does follow a pattern of occuring after your deliveries.  I do believe there is a correlation between your hormone levels and this.  

Thirdly, have your regular physician order a female hormone panel on you.
I am not sure if the Neuro will do this that's why I suggest you ask your regular physician.  

Dear, I can tell you I went through the same crap myself; doctor after doctor, test after test, etc.  Thank goodness my husband helped me through it.  It is nothing I would wish on my worse enemy as it is VERY debilitating.  

Check out this website ...http://www.mvertigo.org/forum/ and see if this is helpful at all.  

Hang in there.  
Thanks a lot for all your help and support. I visited the page and ended up making an account. I find all the info very helpful and supportive. My neuro appointment is in 5days will def be bringing up menieres and mav as possibilities. Im hoping I get a correct diagnosis soon and started on a treatment plan. Thanks again for everything!
Hey, keep me posted dear.  

Wishing you a fast and correct diagnosis.