Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Fever only felt in the head, nowhere else

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

My boyfriend has had this weird thing for about a month now. He says he has a fever that is only felt in his head. Though when tested with a digital thermometer it shows a normal temperature, sometimes being a little lower than the standard 98.6 He has no other related sympotoms such as runny/stuffy nose, cough, sore throat, etc. His diet is very poor-lots of junk food, fast food, candy. Drinks coffee and smokes about a pack of cigarettes a day as well as drinking 1- 6 beers a night. Also partakes in no type of excerise regime, but maintains a normal weight. He is 6'4" and weighs approx. 170 lbs, age 30. He also has no known thyroid condition, nor does any run in his family. He works from home and stays couped up in the house for hours sometimes days on end. The problem is not alleviated when he does "get a breath of fresh air" nor does the time of day seem to matter. He would go to the doctor, but has no insurance- sort of poses a problem :(. Any advice you could give would be much appreciated. Thank You.
Perhaps he is getting hot flashes - which could be caused by nicotine or caffeine. He might want to try staying off both for awhile and see if the "fever" goes away.

Carol
I have been suffering from fevers in my head, but nowhere else intermittently for about 3 months now. It is low grade in nature, but can fluctuate to about 100 degrees. I have tried tylenol, ibuprofen,  even migraine medicine. None of these alleviate my symptoms. I have been to 2 different doctor's offices in which they took blood samples, but no infection was found. I gave up and finally went to the hospital where they said there was nothing they could do. I don't smoke, drink alcohol and caffeine rarely, eat fairly healthy, and get some exercise. I do, however, completely hate my job which causes much stress for me on a daily basis. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do? Please help, I don't think I can take this any longer. Thank you.
This is just a suggestion but maybe get your liver checked. My liver has a difficult time processing certain things so maybe its that. My entire face gets hot though nti jsut my forehead. Myabe someone will have a better answer for you.
I too hav the same problem as Krisimarie... pl do suggest which doc to approach.. i had been thinking its fever and hav been goin to a general med. but i feel that the prob is in my head and in my eyes.
Stress causes low grade fevers that prolong.