Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Fluid in ear and dizzy/drunk feeling?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Fluid in ear and dizzy/drunk feeling?

I sporadically have fluid/fullness in my ear which I believe is due to allergies, but I am afraid of taking allergy meds because I was recently diagnosed with Subclinical hyperthyroid disorder and have been told that sinus/allergy medications and amplify the effects of the meds.  My problems is that I have this feeling like when you drink way too much alcohol and your head is all over the place.  I guess that is like a light vertigo feeling.  Could this be due to the fluid?  Also, does anyone have a situation like this?  Have a thyroid disorder and take allergy meds?  
Here is a bit about my story. I get the drunk feeling- I call it who-who headed. I cant think of anything else to call it. My ear would feel wet and I could hear crackling in it. I went to an ENT, got tested for allergies, and not allergic to anything. So what could it be? I found on the internet a thing called non-allergic rhinitis. Which from what I understand, your sinuses swell up, causing inflamation (inflammation), which causes the fluid to get backed up or stuck in your ears, which makes me who-who headed. I also found that anxiety/stress can cause this. These sinus symptoms started when I went back to school and was also working full time. I never put two and two together. My anxiety (which I really didnt think I had) was causing this problem. I was on sooooo many different sinus meds. Since my anxiety is starting to get under control (knock on wood), I havent had any who-who headed feelings.

Now, I also had seen in some articles that thyroid disorders can cause anxiety (not 100% sure, please check that). So, what I would suggest, get tested for allergies to make sure it is or isnt that. If it is, then you know you might need something. I am sure your doc could find some type of drug that will be compatible for you. If not, you need to find out what could be causing this. Look up the non-allergic rhinitis and see if it is linked to thyroid disorder. Anyway, Best wishes to you, and please let me know how you make out!!
I was reading what you said here about non allergic rhinitis, i have the same symtoms (symptoms) but have been told i have turbinate hypertrophy and they want to trim the turbinates and fix my deviated septum . do your turbinates swell also,how do i know if its my turbinate problem or sinuses inflamation (inflammation) from non allergic rhinitis  also a month a go they said i was positive for dust mites and mold  which 6 years ago i tested negative and when i take claritin it didnt solve my "allergy problem"  i have vaccuum regular  dusted regular wash curtains and bedding in hot water etc..... so i really dont believe my allergy to dust mites is that severe because i also dont have sneezing,running watery eyes etc.........  all i have is congestion mostly when i lay down. and its really bad if the humidity is high or all winter long when furnace was running  but got the furnace cleaned last year.  but i was tested twice for staph infection in 05 and 06 ,and maybe i still have staph infection in my nose that is causing the turbinates to swell . what do you think?  sorry this is lenghthy but i have been dealing with this since oct 06 ,  after i had an adenoidectomy in aug 06.  thank you.
I am not really sure. My doc didnt say anything about my turbinates. They said tehy could see the swelling in my nose. My doc could also see it in my ears (when i would have severe symptoms). Have you seen an ENT? It seems like if you had severe allergies you would have the typical symptoms. Read up on the non-allergic rhinitis and see if it has anything to do with turbinate problems. The allergy meds (flonase) would take the swelling down, but wouldnt really help me, that is when I started looking for other issues that it could be. I have not confirmed this with my doc yet. I have an appt next month and will talk with her then. But since I have alleviated the stress, somewhat. in my life, it seems that my sinuses have improved. Anyway, feel free to ask me anything! Best wishes to you!!
Thank you for answering me,you are so kind . I have seen several Ent's actually tomorrow I have an appt. and I will read up on allergic rhinitis before i go . I will  keep you posted to let you know. thanks again . ch/gh
Last summer I thought I had some wax in my ear,  I ran to the dr. a couple of times and they said my ears were clean and no fluid behind the ear drum.  I was put on a decongestant, mucinex, etc. but it just kept getting worse.  In August I started running to ENTs_-all they'd do is give me a hearing test and say my ears looked good.  One put me on prednisone  for 7 days but it did no good.  Meanwhile, I was miserable, it felt like someone had poured water into my head.  My ear was plugged, I was dizzy and I was developing an ever increasing senstivity to noise.  I was finally referred to this dr. who was suppose to be an expert in meniere's.  He said I was "pre-meniere's" (whatever that means) and just put me on a diuretic, sedative, and "stay away from the salt shaker".  As I got increasingly worse and had to take a medical leave from my job this same dr. offered a "endolymphatic sac surgery" (very controversial)

I finally found a site that gave me tons of information and I am feeling better than I have in 8 months.  You can get to the site by putting in "enough (endolymphatic hydrops)"  This may not be your problem but I know I was so frustrated with the medical help I received.  This may help you.
Here's my story:
Two months ago I got out of a steamroom at my gym and felt like I was gonna passout. I was really dizzy and lightheaded, and for the next week felt hungover with a pressure feeling in my head. My balance was fine, but the dizzy vision stayed.
Fast foward two months and nothing has really changed! I've had every major test done (MRI's, X RAYS, etc) I havent been to an ENT, but my neurologist thinks its to do with migraines. My vision is still dizzy and I feel like ive got water in my ears at times. I even had to go on anxiety pills for a bit, because I was having trouble working.
I think I should see an ENT. Anyone got any advice?
i have low thyroid and i started my problem bout a year ago, when i had an ear infection. After that i cannot get rid of the fluid in my ears and my nose gets clogged, dizzy or the wooo woo feeling that someone described on here. It is very frustrating. My doc put me on nasonex which does help but yes alcohol makes it sooooo much worse seems to make me more clogged. Also when i talk on the phone or any loud noice OMG! it hurts my ear. My doc did say i have alot of fluid in my ears. He seems to think its allergies. Dunno i have never had allergies so we will see
Oh i forgot to mention hmpeit that i have had a thyroid disorder since the age of 13, and i am now 43 so i do understand and know the dangers of taking meds for allergies. But you can take over the counter claratin. My doc also told me i can take that, and then nasonex for your nose congestion. Hope that is helpful to ya :P
  Within the last 2 to 3 weeks I was getting the feeling like I just went swimming and got a ton of water in my ear that would not let up.  The feeling was not only uncomfortable it was down right scary I thought something was pulling like a vacuum inside my ears and they would pop. I was given allegra and took them to no avail and took some ibuprofen for a different reason and it relieved the pressure immensely, so I went back to the doctor thinking that I must have an ear infection  besides allergies due to ibuprofen being a treatment for inflamation (inflammation) and was diagnosed with a build up of water in my ear due to allergies and an infection and given antibiotics. I've had thryroid problems but was told it was stable.
I have had a dizzy feeling like I have virtigo or something. No pressure in the ear just like I have a hangover. I have it from the time I wake up till I go to sleep. My husband left for hunting & we are newly weds so I worry about him up there hence a little anxiety. We also live in a really old farm house rental which continuosly grows mold. I too have Low thyroid. I wonder if the low thyroid is making us more seceptable to inner ear allergy? I notice if I take an allergy medicine and drink a ton of water it makes the dizziness improve a lot but not totaly take it away. I also noticed that as soon as the weather got wetter & colder (I live in Washington), that's when the dizzyness started.
I have accationally found in my right ear it girgles and sometimes I feel dizzy? It makes me a feel a little nervous about going out when this happens? I used to have alot of ear infections when I was younger & I had heart valve replacement. I have been to the doctor about this many of times. He just said there's nothing they can do about it unless it gets worse?
I cannot even begin to say how happy I am to not be the only one. Well not really happy just relieved. I hate any of us have to be going through this. It feels horiffic. I thought I was going crazy until I found this. For about two weeks now, I have had this dizziness off and on. More like I am drunk as all get out and have not drank a drop. I guess I have "episodes" where I start feeling dizzy and feel as though my eyes bounce. Just like I cannot exactly focus.I also have a panic disorder so thinking I am about to pass out. Well let me say it's just not all that fun. So I also have been having severe panic attacks when I get these episodes. I can be dizzy anywhere from an hour to about 4 hours. I am now thinking it may be minieres disease. I'm not sure though seeing as I have no degree saying I am a doc. Anyways I have had a little upset tummy and nausea to go with it when I am dizzy. I think that is just cause it scares the hell of out me when I get that way.I have checked blood sugar and blood pressure to make sure. Both are great. I have also recently lost some weight. So now I have gotten my BMI down to 27. By the way I am only 30. So I think over all that is good. I did however this winter, have some ear issues. I had a horrible sinus infection and my ears were killing me. That nevers happens I am just not one to ever have earaches so I took some advil. It went away and life went on. Now this! I have pretty much stopped driving anywhere alone. I am having trouble in day to day tasks. I have a 4 year old and 6 month old. I am scared to drive with them. So we just stay home all the time since I am a stay at home mom. Thank goodness for that. I think if I worked I would have been fired by now. I am really scared to go anywhere alone as well. My fear is that I am going to get somewhere and just pass out. So I really don't know where to go from here. I guess if the doc can give me a heavy sedative for the panic attacks then maybe I can get it looked at. That's another issue, I am terrified of docs.
I saw the doctor yesterday and after reading the comments here, I do not feel very confident in his treatment.  Sudafed and Benadryl.  I even made a list of symptoms and incidents and typed them up and gave him.  Don't think he paid any attention.  The ear is much worse this morning.  So are the headaches and that 'walk like a drunk' falling into walls.  I'm 65 years old and my husband is making me stay in bed worried I will break a hip or arm.  I'm going to call back today and insist on a thyroid test (I can't loose weight no matter how little eating and how many miles a walk a day).  Now I can't even walk!  Thanks to all for the clues that may help me get my doctor on track.
I am having the same problems, I had experieinced the dizziness a few months back but now it has seemed to cease.I went to the doctor two months ago and they said I had fluid in my ears, both of them. I was put on a prescription nasal spray, they said my sinuses are swollen causing the fluid to back up in my ears. It has been two months now, and I  am feeling the same, except I have a pain in my head, by my left ear that is worrying me. I also have some anxiety....lately I seem to think the worst about everything medical, and it causes me to stress myself out. The doctor told me today that since I am not responding to the nasal spray, she reffered me to a ENT. I am hoping for some answers. I have the full feeling in my head, but whats funny is all the pain is on the left side, when the right ear is the one that has the most fluid in it, and my left ear is the one that constantly crackles when I swallow. We will see
Have any of you ever heard of CSF leak (cerebroaIspinal fluid leak)?  I have the same symptoms as all of you. However, I do have one sensation no one here has mentioned: sensations of fluid leaking down into my (right) ear. Someone mentioned headache, etc on opposite side of the ear w/fluid. I have that too. All my problems started after my auto accident. Hit the left side, and front  of head very hard. My Neuro thinks I have CSFleak. I am waiting for appt. w/ENT to confirm this. I too have had every test known to mankind! You do not have to have a head trauma to have a CSF leak. Many begin for no reason. They use to be considered rare but now, the medical world believes they are much more common than they once thought . Many Dr.'s are not caught up w/this new theory. Sadly, many  of us have been misdiagnosed with allergies, ear infections, etc.
I have suffered w/this fluid leak for 4 years now, so, if you think this sounds like something you may have, be forewarned, it may take awhile to get a knowledgeable Dr. Just google, bing, etc CFS leak or cerebroalspinal fluid leak. There are a few other terms/names for it, but this will get you surfing in the right direction. I wish all of  you the best of luck and a speedy, CORRECT; diagnoses, followed by well being!!
I go June 2nd for an adenoidectomy
My ENT looked and showed me a picture of my swollen adenoids (adenoids).
The whole weekend I have had the "woo woo" feeling.  I have had these episodes quite a bit lately.  I know I have to be careful what I take before surgery.  Anyone have any advice I can use to get rid of this awful feeling?
I am calling my ENT tomorrow to see what she can offer also.
Well I'm happy to say that the dizziness has passed.  I really hope I don't feel that again soon.  Hopefully the sugery will fix all this.  I get really irratable and I know it sounds crazy,
but I get emotional the last couple of times I have been dizzy.
I've had fluid in my ears since I was 13 and now im 25. I hate going to the doctor so I always put it off. I always have the fluid but it gets really worse when I get a cold.It feeks like my right ear gets plugged and pressure pain that becomes difficult to bare. Any one elese get really dizzy when you move your ear muscles to move the fluid apart, or any ways to get rid of it. Day of Christmas 09', I went to emergency cause the pain was too much. I took anti-biotics for 2 weeks and loritab. The pain left but still fluid. Anyone have any information about this please post a comment
I have thyroid issue's, as well as just began having the dizziness and "fluid" sounds in my ears.
I have seen some article's on BPPV and the Epley maneuver. Some of you might want to look into this.
Hope it helps.
I have the same medical issues as you do! I was on many medications for a cough (apparently from an old bacterial infection), and my doctor believes that my "episodes" are cause by them. I would get dizzy, increased HR, vertigo etc. and feel very scared that I was going to pass out. This has happened twice since last week. My heart rate took forever to decrease, but the dizziness normally went away. One day though I was at a waterpark and hot it again, but now the dizziness has stayed.
I was put on a pill to help with the dizziness. It helps sometimes, but I find I am much better lying down. I tried driving alone today- bad idea! I was scared the whole way home that I would have to stop driving.
My doctor thinks its fluid in the inner ear.

Have you found any relief? What have you taken for medications for this? Thanks.
My left ear started bothering me Sept. 1, 10 - feeling of fullness and loud white noise (the noise you hear when the tv goes off the air) and the onset of a feeling of hang over ... dizziness in the head.

Went to doc - was diagnosed with BPVV (Vertigo) put on meclizine, nose spray and sudafed. Nothing helped. Dizziness got worse.

While on business in FL - went to ER for CAT scan - nothing found. Followed up with ENT in FL ... did hearing test - left ear was bad - right ear was ok. Shot of cortisone in ear drum - followed up a week later with another hearing test - hearing improved so another shot of corisone. Still had dizziness -- nothing was even touching the head issues .... got so bad i felt like i was doing barrel rolls ....

Also did some chiropractic and saw a physical therapist that taught me to do the epiley procedure which seemed to help but I’m still battling this last 10% of dizziness and the left ear is not letting up at all!

Back home - saw ENT here - finally got ok to do MRI. MRI showed left ear was fine - but that there was fluid in right ear and some minor cysts that doc wasn't too concerned with ... but in the mean time left ear is still feeling full and hearing loud white noise and dizziness!

I asked the doc what's the next step and he said a hearing aid ... i said no about the dizziness ... he said to take zyrtec and see if that eliminated the fluid build up! So basically after 8+ weeks - i'm back to square one!!!! ARGGGHHHHH!!!!!
I have been dizzy everyday going five years now and been to every kind of doctor there is for this and nothing seems to help. My doc tells me it is stress.So my ? is if someone can answer "Can stress make you so dizzy that u can hardly walk?"
I can remember when I felt normal, it's hard to think that a year ago I didn't have this problem. I feel so disconnected from the world, at times I just sit there. After having this overwhelming feeling of brain fog, dizzy, ear pressure, popping and sometimes pain. I have been to dr, to mri of brain, CT of sinus, and ent, vng, which showed me having a nystagmus. I am finally back to the ent. The are having me do eply's but they're not working. I have looked and looked everywhere and it seems frustrating to find peoples' post but you don't ever know if they got healed or not and what they have used. So they call this bppv and vestibular disorder, I just want a cure!!
I have had ear pain for about two years now and finally get to see the ENT doc. It was off and on at first but now its every day, I also have ringing, hissing and when the pain is bad purring (its the only way I can describe it).The pain goes from a dull pain to a sharp stabbing pain which also increases with a headache and I also have the vertigo sometimes too. Last time I was at the doctor's she told me I had fluid in my ears and finally is sending me to the specialist. I had to wait a month to get the appt and now 3and half months for the actually appt. I'm not holding out my hope with all the doctors who can't seem to help us with this problem.
Well, here goes.  For the last five years i have suffered  with balance disorder  and .dizziness, had to quite driving. Have gone to seversal drs. I also have c-spine stenosis.,  One surgeon said could be from stenosis,  ent said it could be from sinuses and deveted septum.  Finely, a neuro says it is ataxia, which is of course a  balance disorder.  I have had all the tests.  mri, cts,  had therapy to learn how to mantain balace. All for nothing,  is has gotten worse, not better, then went to primary dr,  who says i am depressed.  duhhhhh.   I get real anxious when i have real bad days with diziness and balance problems.  Does anybody else have anything like this    ?
Eight years ago I had all of the things that have been discussed here. Control of Gaze is what the dizzy feeling is called. Ringing in my ears. I had Cat scans, MRI's of my head. I went to ENT doctor. Had my eyes checked. I got sick and was given a round of antibiotics. They did not make me 100% well so I went back for a second round. While there I was told by a P.A. your drain tubes must be plugged. This was causing all of my ear problems. It was like a light bulb went off in my head, after all the test and two years of suffering. The second round of antibiotics cleared up my problems and I have had no trouble since. I hope this may help some of you.
I also had BPPV and  have perminant vestibular nerve damage which I was told was from a virus. I had the VNG/ENG testing after two months of being told it was a virus and would get better. I had physical therapy for the bppv which worked (the Epley procedure and the semont manuever).  I still have an off felling.  I am trying an allergist who found I am allergic to many things and has me taking an antihistamine and nose spray.  He said I have fluid in my ear which might be causing this "off" feeling.  I am only on this for a day and have not noticed any difference yet.   I also tried a chiropractor, accupuncture, herbs (ginger and gingo), meclizine, been tested for lyme (read on some blogs people who had undiagnosed lyme had vertigo) and have an appointment with a neurologist.  I am probably 85% of normal after 16 weeks.  I will let you know if the allergist or the nuerologist helps.  I understand how fustrated you are.  Let me know if you come up with anything and I will do the same.
Thank god.  I am not alone.  I have good days and bad, but have been off and on feeling like I'm on a boat when I'm on stable ground.  It is so frustrating and so scary at times.  I was diagnosed with fluid on my right ear drum and prescribed meclizine, but that makes me so tired I can't tell if I'm coming or going- it's like trading one symptom of drunkenness for another.  I have had a lot of stress in recent history, I think, too, which is probably not helping.  Reading what everyone here has to say, I think there is a good probability that I have sinus swelling that is keeping my ear from draining.  I'm thankful for the good days, but MAN do I wish I could reach a point where this was just a memory.  Today has been particularly bad, but it is oddly comforting to know there are other people like me (exactly like me for the other person who is 30 with a bmi of 27!) who have this problem.  It really will make you feel like you are completely insane.  Here is hoping we ALL find some relief.  
Hey all, I got an excellent tip that has been helping me tons with this- if you have to wear ear plugs at work or to sleep at night, you HAVE to stop using them for a while for this to clear!  

My doc told me this and I actually noticed a marked improvement a day later- I know, it seems like a no-brainer, but I totally hadn't thought about it and was still wearing my ear plugs at night- once I stopped, the fluid started to move (and apparently was full of bacteria, as I now have a sinus infection, but I'm told that is not uncommon.)

I really hope this tip will help some other people, it definitely helped me!
You might have an allergy to mold which is causing fluid/pressure in your ear which could cause dizziness.
Would absolutely love to chat with some of you regarding the ear and dizzy issues.  I too have had all these symptoms with no help from doctors.  If any of you are on facebook, friend request me and lets chat.  Maybe together we can figure out something to help us all feel better.  http://www.facebook.com/blueeyesbb
I got the same feeling yesterday, but it happened instantialy, you see I was tubing and I fell of on a angle that made my ear to fill up with a far amont of water, that second I got the dizzy drunk feeling and was not able to continue tubing, the next morning [now ATM] my ear still has water in it do it feels, will this disappear by its self or will I have to see a doctor ????
took bath with cold water , some entered the ear . had a bad vertigo( dizziness) soon after that which lasted for hours and was also associated with vomiting