Food going up nasal cavity
The other week I was eating some cake and somehow some of it went up my nose.  I eventually got it down after snorting and blowing my nose.  I didnt think too much of it until this week when the same thing happened again except I couldnt get the food down.   The problem is now whenever I eat all my food keeps getting caught in my nasal cavity.  My left nostril feels rather weird where it joins the bak of my throught, it feels like there is   some sort of gap which wont close.  Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening or what can be causing it?  It's quite distressing and making it very awkward to eat solids.

I had tissue like mucosity out my mouth nasal cavity while suffering sore throat or sinus infection after doing gargles with pomegranate peel and salt tea.  It felt like whatever was stuffing up came out and got better afterwards.  Better soon after waking up.  Hope this remedy helps somebody with nose-throat issues.  
I know this is an old post, but this is me exactly! Is anyone still out there having this problem. I was put on Nexium because the doctors have said it is gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GErD for short, but I take the Nexium and the darn thing goes right into my sinuses and I gag and gag, WTF is this all about! This has been going on for 6 weeks now, and other food is getting stuck in there too. I have had all kinds of tests and none of the doctors are finding anything wrong, and are thinking I'm crazy, when I'm not, there is something wrong with my swallowing or something and I can't figure it out, I am afraid to eat!
I usually get it with tonsil stones, like when I've eaten something like mince.
I've had this since Apr/2012.  It's pretty bad, food stuff is random, anything from crisps, rice to peas.  The last few days have been worse with a crisp, now started on other good nostril.  Over night I flushed my nose, still up there, went to sleep, woke up to find it came out and I breathed it up my normally bad nostril while asleep.

ENT say nothing wrong, seen up my nose.  Gave me a bottle to flush.  I ended up with my own solution, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4" baking soda, 1/2" pint of tap water.  I bought some ink cartridge syringes of ebay, some 3mm (outter diameter) carp fishing sillicon (soft) tubing, connected to syringes.  I clean first with surgical spirit the pipes, run thought with water until clear.  Up the offending nostial with pipe until it reaches the valve, swirt.  Repeat 3 to 6 times.  Mostly its complete relief and as the pipe is near problem area I do not often end up with water in my ears, unlike the squirty bottles from ENT.
My little brother has been having this problem for a while, and your tip seems to be helping him!!! Thanx for posting!
I broke my nose in June for the sixth time and everything seemed to be ok. For about three years I have been unable to get Medicare to pay for the supplies to use the $700.00 C-Pap machine they purchased for me. I started tasting what seemed like a rotten taste on occasion. I have had migraines with fever, chills and vomiting for the last two months. Yesterday I noticed some peas I had eaten coming out of my sinuses. It dawned on me that I am regurgitating in my sleep because I don't have my C-Pap in use. This is a very dangerous situation and I have had a recent heart attack. Sleep apnea is very hard on the cardiovascular system. Medicare spends money on equipment and then won't pay for the supplies to use it! Is it any wonder we have so many issues with Medicare? They pay thousands for unneeded electric wheelchairs for many and all you have to say is that you can't make it to the bathroom in time!! I think this food in the nasal and sinus cavities just might be a sleep apnea problem.
I coughed a piece of pretzel into my nasal passage which made me crazy.
A doctor said it would work it's way out and to wait. I tried SinuFlo ReadyRinse Nasal Wash.  It flushed the particles right out of my nose and gave instant relief!  After 24 hours of driving me crazy!  
Good luck!
A portion of just about everything I swallow gets deposited into the opening above my soft palate. I think perhaps the reflex that is supposed to lift the soft pallet when swallowing is defective. It is like I have a continuous cold, along with the food particles I cough up thin strings of mucus and mucus encompassing food particles and even liquids like tea and chocolate.  Like most of the other posts my doctor doesn't have a clue as to why this is happening...much less a solution. I have started to gargle with Listerine before I retire and after I awake which seems to help a little. If nothing else it helps me to cough out more mucus encased stuff.
I still cannot believe there is an answer to this.  I had my tonsillectomy (at 33 yrs old) about a month ago.  I also have GERD (acid reflux and heartburn).  I kept feeling like there is something back there.  I though it was reflux and/or congestion.  But it happens almost immediately after I eat.  For some reason it doesn't happen in the morning.  It is always around lunch or mid afternoon.  I have not called my ENT yet.  But I tried using a saline spray up my nose.  It goes down into my throat and helps somewhat make the feeling better.  But I think I am starting to swell now back there.  Also in the last 2 weeks my tension headaches have awful and with no relief with any kind of medicine (I also get migraines and these headaches aren't my migraines bc my migraine meds aren't working.

But before my tonsillectomy, and almost my entire adult life, whenever I had a cold, virus, sinus infections (lots), the space where the nose meets the throat was always irritated and mucus just sat there hence getting sinus infections.  Does anyone have a solution on how to manage this and why it's happening?
I have had my tonsils removed and this happens all the time, food gets caught up there and it makes it so I cant swallow (even when not eating) there must be a mechanism back there that does this, I go days without food sometimes as I cant get it out, its so depressing.
Has anyone ever suggested that this may be a throat and or nasal palate dysphagia related to exposure to organophosphates?  Organophosphates are known to cause acetylcholine binding (sometimes irreversible) in the nerve cells that control smooth muscle tissue.  Also, when you are exposed to organophosphates it converts into and enzyme that gets stored in your fat, and then it leaches out slowly over a long period of time, sometimes 12 to 15 months or longer).  So when old cells die and new ones replace, they just get nailed with the enzyme too.  Additionally, the gastro tract reabsorbs some of the enzyme and stores it again, like a poisonous loop.  Organophosphates are put on our food as pesticide, and sometimes gardens, and it's actually nerve gas invented by the Nazi's that has been re-engineered.  24 to 36 hours after exposure you can't even prove what you were exposed to and respiratory and then nerve and muscle symptoms come out in delayed processes that haven't even been studied well.  Just a thought.  See if anticholinergics lik Claritin or diphenhydramine help.  If you don't have respiratory symptoms, and they help, you may have been hit with organophosphates.
In addition, if you have been hit with organophosphates, there is a likelihood of respiratory symptoms, but you may not have attributed them to an exposure.  Then, after the respiratory symptoms have become much less noticeable, the nasal palate thing is still happening.  That's what seems to have happened to me.
I also have this condition (feels like a piece of food is getting stuck, almost daily, between my nose and throat, very hard to get out, eventually goes away until poof it comes back at some random future meal. I am 33 and it started only a few months ago (during the winter).  Recently I've been doing a lot of soldering, which does involve smelling solder fumes for a few hours a few days a week.  I'm wondering if that fumes (or maybe others, I have worked in other industries with fumes) has caused nerve damage which is causing the problem.  It seems based on other respondents that an initial episode of damaging the through precipitated the symptoms...

Anyway, just to ask again, has any anyone found a good, simple, cheap solution?
I am sorry that you suffered for so long. I use to have this problem a lot when I was a kid. Then it started again in my late 30's usually after a heavy meal at night such as pasta and meat. I also had a burning in my chest and a sour taste in my throat that wouldn't go away unless I sat up and drank glass after glass of water. It's been more than ten years since I had that problem. The key is to make changes in your diet and lifestyle. Don't eat foods of any kind that cause your body to have any type of adverse effects. Don't eat foods then soon afterwards end up in a horizontal position. NEVER eat foods that causes heartburn and gas pains. People who commonly take ant-acids are people who simply don't pay attention to what their body is telling them. Also, there are some foods like pastas and cereals that your body doesn't have the enzymes to digest. You may not been diagnosed with Crohn's disease but you still may have those type of symptoms from certain foods. It's ok to say I can't eat or drink that and live with that reality. Eat light at night.  
I thought i was going mad, everybody i have seen ie GP, ENT cons have all said food can not go up.  I felt a piece of chicken go up back of sept last year, left it a couple of weeks to see  if id dislodge it myself.  I don't think it has and was ref to ENT by a skeptical GP.  Had a scope at my apt but couldn't see anything, asked me to come back and have it repeated by eating an apple at the same time.  Again nothing. The scope i felt went straight and i feel its a pocket at back. Now its driving me mad it doesn't happen with every meal but at this minute i feel something and im hoping its not the same piece that went up in september,  Im worried that it will become something more sinister.  I have never had any trouble with my nasal passages but after the scope my left side is sore around tip and bleeds when i blow, the other side is normal..  
Wow I am shocked this many people have the same issue. I couldnt understand where the food was going I just knew it was going up instead of down and then it would stay there for a few days and then drop out like a chunk of yellow cottage cheese (sometimes softer than cottage cheese) smelling awful. Some days it doesnt drop out it just stays there. What I started doing was putting Peppermint essential Oil on my sinuses (use a carrier oil so it doesnt sting the skin and make sure to stay away from eyes if it gets near eyes DO NOT USE WATER to dilute instead dilute with a carrier OIL such as coconut oil etc) The Peppermint oil works as an expectorant it doesnt always work for food stuck in the Nasopharynx (lol yeah I looked it up thats what its called) but sometimes it does. I have also used the Peppermint oil for a gargle that works sometimes too and sometimes putting Myrhh Oil and Peppermint Oil on the back of the neck works today I am not using much oil so I am going to be using a neti pot see if that works. Good luck! Hope this helps someone else
I dont know how they could say that food cant go up. Its called the Nasopharynx and food can definitely get stuck up there can cause an annoying infection all sorts of things. I read that sometimes the cause for that happening too much can actually be due to a neurological disorder the neurological disorder causes weak muscles and the food can go up instead of down so they say to be checked for neurological disorder as well if having that problem frequently.
it's called Velopharyngeal inadequacy. Chewing my food very well helps a lot. many people have mentioned that rice is a problem...so chew the rice into mush and take small bites. Either that or get the prothesis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatal_lift_prosthesis
also this page seems usefull, i'm trying the techniques now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oropharyngeal_dysphagia
I know this topic is 7 YEARS old but it was one of the first to pop up when I finally googled this problem I've been dealing with for as long as I remember. Kind of depressing there seems to be know real solution but at least I know I'm not alone. It bothers me that doctors just pretend it's not a real issue but from previous experiences with doctors and their egos I guess I'm not really surprised...

There's always been one nostril I can barely breathe through and my mouth is constantly dry...and it's just awful having to constantly excuse myself to snort or cough up mucus trying to get these bits of vile-smelling decaying food out of my sinuses...all those noises are not really 'lady-like' to say the least and I'm basically always living in fear that my co-workers are going to hear me. It drives me CRAZY feeling it back there though (got a bit of rice and ground hamburger from last night's supper irritating me as I type this...I can feel it sort of sloooowly trying to slide back down into my throat so hopefully I'll get it out soon but I always worry about it slipping down my windpipe when that happens, which is even more unpleasant...)

And since I'm diabetic as well and I'm really concerned I'm going to wind up with a REALLY nasty infection one day but I don't know what to do about it. :(
So I don't know if this will help anyone but a little over 2 years ago I woke up, ate breakfast, and shortly after thought I was having a heart attack. My heart started pounding, my arms went numb, head spinning. So I had my brother rush me to the hospital. The doctors did blood tests and finally came to the conclusion that I had acid reflux. Put me on some pill to manage acid reflux. Sadly I'm an American so I'm not allowed to have a cure for any physical/mental issues that may be cause by our top 1% pumping poison into us. After a month of popping the pills they gave me for the issue I stopped taking them. I too was able to manage it myself by snorting constantly and clearing as much mucus as possible from my throat/nasal passages. So for the next 2 years I ate nothing but yogurt and smoothies.

This sucked, I couldn't eat anything I enjoyed without feeling like I was going to choke to death or have a heart attack. Then about six months ago I randomly heard about this thing called "Diatomaceous Earth" you can read about it here: http://www.earthworkshealth.com/human-use.php. Roughly 2 weeks after taking this 1 time a day in the morning with a tall glass of water, I was again able to eat anything I wanted w/o feeling like I was going to choke to death or have a heart attack. I'm not saying it completely fixed the issue, but it has really helped me get back to a healthy appetite. If this works for you please spread the word. I know what its like to be scared of everything you eat.
I believe that is 1 of the reasons causing this condition.  But it can happen to those which don't have nasal regurgitation simply by coughing when there is still some food in their throat.  A powerful cough can force food particles into the nasal cavity.
I have had this problem my whole life, getting food particles stuck up the back of my throat into my nasopharynx, which leads to sinus infections and laryngitis.  I used to have at least two episodes a year.  I had my wisdom teeth removed--still happened. I learned I had little pockets in my tonsils (like Swiss cheese) where the particles were getting stuck. (I remember trying to use a toothpick to get the pockets cleaned out.)  I had a tonsillectomy at age 30. This reduced my sinus infections to one or fewer a year.  I have even had acupuncture/pressure treatments for food sensitivities/allergies (which worked like a dream for my never-ending rashes and stomach upset).  

Most importantly, I correlated my infections to eating muffins, cornmeal products,  or corn chips. Hard crackers can also cause the same problem.  I have learned to avoid dry, hard, crumbly foods that can "cut" my throat or get stuck to the roof of my mouth and get pushed upward. Carrots can be a problem, too, so I try to chew them to mush before swallowing.  Drinking hot liquids helps dissolve food in my mouth and decreases the risk of food going up.

I am getting chiropractic adjustments regularly, taking supplements to detox my body, but I still didn't avoid getting sick again. (So, I don't know as the suggestions of chiro treatments and considering  environmental toxins are very helpful.)  I am currently sick (day 11)--after eating a crumbly muffin (stupid me!) and having recently had a stomach flu where I vomited food through my nose-- with the same irritating post nasal drip, cough, chest congestion, and finally laryngitis.
Ugh!
I know I must  be grossing out my coworkers with my horrendous coughing, hacking, and gagging, but I know I am not likely contagious.  Lucky them!  Too bad no one believes I am not a walking germ factory.  As additional proof, my hubby, who gets sick with every cold and flu, never gets sick after one of my food-snorting illnesses.

Misery loves company, and I guess I'm happy to know someone else can relate to my experiences!  Maybe my experiences will help someone "know thyself" better.  Good luck everyone!

Try Neil meds' sinus wash its help to soften the food so u can blow it out hope this helps it helps me when this happens
I have the same thing!!  It drives me NUTS!!  I had my tonsils out later in life (around 27), and I constantly have food stuck up in my nasopharynx.  At first it was water going up my nose every time I took a drink of water.  I was told that was normal right after surgery and it will go away.  It did, for the most part.      Now 18 years later my theory is this:   Either my surgeon was terrible and took away too much of whatever tissue I was going to need to be able to swallow properly, or something is shrinking, or I don't know what.   I'd actually be willing to bet that there are more incidences of choking on food in people with their tonsils removed later in life than people who still have their tonsils.  Haven't checked if there are any studies on that.  Now, I am not sure which is better- having tonsils so big and cryptic that they constantly have food particles stuck in them, or having all kinds of food go up my nose via my nasopharynx.  I am always afraid I am going to inhale the darn piece of food when I try to get it out- or when it comes down (always at the most in-opportune times, usually while I'm driving with no tissues in the car).   When I am 80 this is NOT going to be pretty.    I fully believe that if something else doesn't kill me first, my (lack of ) tonsils will.    I am seriously considering a liquid diet.

UGG  this happened when I was eating steak last night... my nose is stuffy and runny all at once and needless to say while i was eating i cleared my throat a little like when u hock a loogee or just try to clear your throat and now I feel like a little piece fo steak is lodged right in the top of my throat going into my nasal.. u know where the post nassal drip usual flows from. I AM FREAKING OUT ALL NIGHT AND DAY! Am I going to get infected? will it work its way out? Damn this ***** I am totally wigging out and there are so many responses to this I don't know what to think!!
what did the doctor say about the food getting stuck in your throat/nasal area? what you were saying is exactly how I feel. This has happened for the first time last night while I was eating steak, I just snuffled the wrong way and now I don't know what to think! I feel like a little piece of steak is just stuck perfect right there at the top of my throat at the bottom of my post nasal.  I am hoping, like you said,   "I can spit it out and show the rotten piece of food to skeptics who didn't believe that I had something up my nose all that time." So far no luck with dislodging it :(   A part of me is like maybe I am crazy, maybe it is not there, but I know it doesn't feel right and I am just wishfully thinking. Other thank having my normal stuffy runny nose, and not breathing great from that, I was totally fine until i sniffled while chewing my steak. WORSE MISTAKE EVER! What a crappy predicament. You think I should wait it out?
any resolution yet?
any resolution?
Yes. Anything I eat sits at the top of my throat, waiting for me to swallow. Then I gag, and have to try again. I have to make my my portions as tiny as possible, and wash every bite down with a sip; as if I were swallowing a pill. I can't speak normally, because it seems that the barrier between throat and nose has been permanently breached. Here's an example: There was a hair on the couch next to me. Normally, I would just give it a quick puff to scoot it away. Now, because of the breach, I can't blow through my mouth alone, and most of the air comes out through my nose. I couldn't even move the hair.
I've lost 40 lbs in 2 months because of the eating and weakness. I sound like I'm developing some sort of internal hair-lip, and even my own saliva makes me gag, so sleeping is also out.  Suggestions would be super.  rokkor72 at yahoo ******* if you've got any ideas.
I thought with soft foods and rice it was normal, it happens to me all the time. i was googleing it, because every once in a while i get something big with sharp edges stuck up my nose, wich seriously iritates and hurts my nose.
The worst was, when half a nacho-chip went up there, the egdes hurt everytime i tried to swallow or speak. luckyly after a little over a day the egdes where soften through the moisture, and it finaly came out.
just a few minutes ago i had a whole leaf of rucola up my nose, it was extra iritating, since a part of it was still hanging down my throat, making me gag.
In that situation i recomend to try not to gag (since that only pushes it further up your nose), however try to cough really hard. that works for me sometimes. worked with the rucola.

The thing i find really worrieing about this is, that i'm never sure if i actually swallowed a pill or if its just up my nose. i was on ritalin as a kid, and one day three 1cm*0,4cm popped back into my mouth.
I had a rough 2 years. First had heart attack....then developed TMJ (pain on right side nerve), then last year started having problems swallowing pills. First it was hard coated (big and small), they seemed to flop on left side by air way...then bobble from left to middle/right....Went to hospital...had x-rays...went to ENT (put runny goop down both my nostrils and pills seemed to vanish)....was normal until a week later...then capsules..same thing...flop like in back of throat upper roof of mouth...I could talk...no gagging...drink and eat...still didn't dislodge. Then I put head back and gargled with soda (thought soda might dislodge them) took many hours doing this to start dissolving....could feel and taste nasty chemicals from capsules run into upper chest. Felt like in my lungs...very warming sensation in my upper chest....I went to see 4 ENT (3 scopes and 1 endoscopic), barium swallow study, MRI, x-rays and all nothing showed. Since I crush my pills, now food particles get caught there. Used to be certain foods like lettuce, rice, anything with peel or skin...now it's anything....I chew my food good and it feels like left side is plugged...causes chest discomfort (not stroke or heart attack). Been to ER twice about this chest discomfort and left side clogged....seems like water and soda doesn't dislodge much...so I've tried snapple peach tea and it seems to work better (don't know why, seems like water, maybe thicker?)...I gargle and then spit in toilet and either food particles with mucus is in the water....this is constant until I get the food particles or it's clear...feels like by back of throat, but back of the roof of the mouth....my doctors think I'm crazy and have told me to seek mental services....any help would be appreciated...
   Same problem, here. Only, I have to blow my nose, and some food will come out when I blow the nose. If It does not come out, I do a saline rinse, to flush, all the particles of food. It is quite painful.

I have copd, and on high alert, because if food gets to your lungs, you can aspirate, develop pnuemonia.

I had a tonsillectomy, adenoid removal and septoplasty.

Also, I am asthmatic and I wheeze, something fierce. I see an ENT on monday.

Anyways, thanks for reading. It has helped reading on and knowing, I am not alone, in my pain
I have the same problem. It started after I had a mini stroke. The ENT doc said that the flap that is supposed to close off the sinus when I eat is not working correctly. I also am constantly breathing through my mouth because my nose is always stuffy. So, 5 weeks ago I went in for a balloon sinuplasty (I think that is what it is called), and a shot at the back of the throat to plump up the area where food was going up. I still have food going up, and he said if it is not better in another week, he will put another shot, but he needs to be careful not to put to much because of my breathing. Also, my nose is still stuffy. I do trust this doctor; I am just tired of baby food and liquid food. My ENT did believe me about the food going up the sinus, which is great, though.
I have had food going up my nose for the past two and a half years. It first happened when I was eating dinner and I coughed at the same time as swallowing. It was quite painful and no matter how much I blew my nose or hacked it would not come out, I just ended up making myself dizzy. Luckily a couple of hours later I managed to bring it down and cough it out. I thought this event was a one off, but little did I know that it would begin to happen more and more often. All the times it happened after this I did not cough when swallowing. I took my time and swallowed normally but food still went up the back of my nose. To make matters worse pills started to
get stuck back there too, and they stayed up there for days until they dissolved. I just have to chew them now. As many of you have said it can be very uncomfortable and prevent you from eating normally, I have lost over a stone and a half because I am finding it so difficult to swallow now.

So after about six months of this I finally went to see my doctor who referred me to my local ENT (ears, nose, throat) department. The first doctor that I saw said it could have started to happen because the adenoids fully shrink in early adulthood, and perhaps it had left a gap that my soft palette can no longer close off when I swallow. He seemed quite positive and was generally interested in helping me. One discussion he had with his consultants was whether filler at the back of the soft palette would help it to fully close off. Unfortunately this doctor left and my case was passed on to someone else. Here are some of the tests and treatment that I have had since.

. Endoscopy - A thin wire camera was inserted into my nose to look for any abnormalities.Nothing abnormal was found. Funny thing is each time I go back to the hospital I see a different doctor so I've had this test 4 or 5 times. :(

. Videofluroscopy (xray) - I was given barium liquid to drink that shows up on the video xray so they could see what is happening when food goes up my nose. I was also given some paste on a biscuit. Unfortunately nothing went up my nose during in the test. As the problem is intermittent its not easy to catch it on video.    

. Speech and language therapist - The therapist examined the way I talked to see if I had nasally sound to my voice. (I did not) I was also given throat muscle exercises to do. These were supposed to strengthen the muscle in my soft palette. This did not improve my swallowing and in the end the doctor said it probably didn't help because it is a structural problem.

. MRI Scan. No abnormalities found.

. Blood Test for Neurological diseases. All clear.

. A physical Examination for Neurological diseases. All clear.

. Barium swallow. I had to swallow two syringes of barium. This test observes your swallow all the way down to the stomach. Again no
abnormalities found.

I am going to have another videofluroscopy as the first one was very brief. This test will be done with SALT (Speech and language team) and I will be able to bring in a variety of foods with different textures. (these will be mixed with barium) They will also let me sit outside the examination room for a while, eat and then do more swallow tests. This will help determine whether its my muscles getting tired that causes the problem.

Sorry for such a long post, I just think it might be helpful to let anyone with this condition know what sort of tests they might have when being referred to a hospital. I find it strange that not many doctors have dealt with this problem before as there appears to be so many of us dealing with it. I wish there was a way to find out if other doctors around the country and the world have better insight on this condition. I have tried to do as much research by myself as possible but it usually leads to dead ends. The latest research is looking at the upper spine. I read in another forum about a guy who had the same problem and he found out his discs were not aligned properly in his cervical vertebrate. He found a chiropractor who specialized in that area of the spine and his swallowing problem went
away after a couple of sessions. Its a long shot but I like to stay positive and think that there is some sort of solution out there.  
Hey Szuy,

Any update on how you are getting on with the shots/filler? My first doctor recommended this technique to me, I would love to know if it works. If it does I can suggest it to my new doctors. Thanks.x
I have also been experiencing the discomfort of having food get trapped up in my sinuses when I eat, especially rice, oatmeal, ground beef and pills. I also sometimes choke when drinking liquids.  I don't know if it's related, but I also get facial pain when having hot or cold air blow on me.  My ENT checked my nose and throat, found nothing and sent me to a neurologist.  The neurologist treated me like a hypochondriac, and offered no suggestions.  I am hypothyroid and was thinking my thyroid may have swollen to the point where it was causing swallowing issues.  I am also allergic to dust which could be contributing to this and my constant congestion as well.  Unfortunately, I've had limited success with a Neti Pot.  It feels like water gets trapped in my sinuses and I feel tremendous pressure afterwards.  Decongestants and Allegra help a little with the congestion, but have not figured out what to do about swallowing issues.  Any suggestions?
I was born with a submucus cleft palate. I had a pharyngeal flap repair when I was 4. Things have gone well for 30 years. Then I noticed that when I ate horseradish it would go up my nose. Then I noticed that anything spicy would do it. Now when I lean over saliva will run out of my nose. I have a constant tickle in my throat causing me to cough all the time. And when I cough it pushes saliva into my nose and makes me sneeze.
I too have facial pain when cold air blows in my face. I have trigeminal neuralgia. I had the gamma knife surgery last year and since then, the facial pain has improved. However, now I have swallowing problems and I often aspirate pieces of rice or other small foods into the space between my esophagus and nasal cavity. One time I blew my nose for days and each time, little grains of rice came out. Lol I also have jaw issues. Maybe it's related. Who knows! But anyway, just wanted to share. :-)
I am so relieved to see that others are having the same issue. Every time I eat I feel like food is stuck in the upper part of my throat. When I talk, I can feel air going out my tear duct. It's literally driving me crazy. I've had two sinus surgeries and multiple attempts to fix my deviated septum. I keep complaining about the food going up my sinus issue to the ENT and they say it's acid reflux. I don't know what to do.
thank you for updating! I will seek one too. But I always feel like I have a lump in my throat as well.
I too had started having this problem feeling of foods going up my nasal cavity and difficulties swallowing in the past few months and not only that I also feel like it's cntrolling my life now that there's another issue I had a barium swallow test done last week and it's showing my foods is taking a little longer than it should to travel in my stomach ,but I also have GERD reflux to begin with in years now,and a very low immune system my lungs are both weak due to my bronchiactesis since I was young , I had Ultrasound done in my thyroid and getting result in 2 days I have started losing weights in the last 6 months also I cannot explain it why I loss some weights as I was eating ok if not I was always eating good meals size ,and in the last 2weeks I have lost more than 2 kilos again because I'm scared to eat in case I choke unless my husband is nearby so basically for now I'm just in mostly baby foods and softer textures foods  like bananas porridge mash potatoes soup mouse or whips foods untill I get my result ,because yesterday my doctor wrote a letter for ED hospital to admit me if I loss anymore weights
I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT.
I've had this happen for a year. I've had tension headaches, dizziness, increased heart rate, etc etc. because of it. I went to the ENT doctor. She offered surgery to expand my nose and all that stuff, saying it couldn't be food going up my nose that was causing the problem. I had a modified barium swallow and they couldn't replicate the food going up. My soft palate was shutting off my nasal passage when I swallowed. So what was it??? I had no medical problems that caused it. When my doctor couldn't figure out a solution, I knew I had to find some way to fix my swallowing by myself somehow. That's when I found out the solution. I needed to dip my chin lower a little bit when I swallow. Before, as I was chewing (mostly on rice), small particles would "fall" back into my throat area and slide into my nose since my chin was raised high. Why was it raised high? Several months ago I thought it would be a good idea not to look at the ground, because I thought others would interpret it as weakness/anxiety (silly, I know). So for all that time I lifted my chin up when I ate. Now to stop food going up my nose when chewing, I keep it level or lower my chin down.

That's pretty much it. For those who are going crazy and seem to not have any medical problems yet still have food going up, try lowering your chin a bit. That will stop any new food from going in. As for the old food already in your nose, take some boiled water, add salt, then quickly snort it down. You have to do rapid short bursts. You can't snort down the food like you blow your nose. It has to be a short, quick burst. If you have ever eaten snail, you know what to do. Sucking it hard and for a long time won't do anything. The key is short bursts, while limiting the air flow (pinch one nose close and the other partially shut) so that the pressure can increase. Similar to how when you put your finger in a hose it shoots out faster. I wish everyone luck!
I had this problem for 6 years ago. And this thing drive me crazy. I lost my weight. I'm so scary when i have to eat.Sorry my bad english, but i can't clearly understand what are you suggest to do. So when i swallow or chewing, just lower my chin? And then for old food, i have to snort down quickly some water? Is it safe or  is it hurts?
This makes sense @foodupnoseRESOLVED. I feel like this has been happening to me from a maladjustment from a chiropractor that left me with a pinched nerve... I figured out from some physical therapy videos that in order to alleviate the pinched nerve I need to tuck my chin down and in and stretch the neck a little bit backwards while sitting straight up... I then feel the feel the blood running back through those parts of my body where the nerve is connected to... So since this acid reflux/up to nasal cavity only began since the pinched nerve and that is alleviated by this chin tuck exercise, it makes sense that it takes care of the reflux aspect as well... Pretty interesting! BOY AM I MAD AT THIS CHIROPRACTOR
I also have this problem when I have sinus infections associated with asthmatic Bronchitis. This happened to me the past two days. I was attempting to eat hamburger meat. The experience was weird although I assumed that is the acid reflux and throat being swollen. Any ideas out there?
I have had this problem for about 30 years, and I also have my wisdom teeth.  Don't know if there is a correlation
I want to put this out there and see if it helps anyone.
I have had food going in my soft palate area for several years. I have great insurance and had a swallow work up and saw a Specialist.
Well basically I felt I was stamped crazy and went home to deal with this issue myself. Try 2 more years!
Just this week I was dx with a condition called DISH.
Diffuse  (all over)
Idiopathic  (they don't know what causes it)
Skeletal
Hyperostosis  (calcium turns tendon to bone on spine, heels)
Anyways I just found out via x-ray I have large bone spurs on c3-6 causing swallowing problems.
Whether you have DISH or not these bone spurs can form causing swallowing problems.
I am seeing a Neurologist this week.
Hoping for help. The back if my throat feels "full" and every swallow is
registered in my brain.
Of course this diagnosis explains why I have severe spasm when twisting my trunk as well because bone spurs are there as well.
I will know the results of the Thoracic CT soon and find out if there is nerve impingement there.
Btw a Nettie Pot filled with saline in the shower works well to flush food particles and pills out.
I've twice gotten a bite of steak there.
That is a truly panic situation.
Partials of food drive a person crazy.
I will add one more thing.
CPAP over the last 2 years has helped some. Keeping the soft palette firm, not sloppy from snoring can help.
Best of luck to all, Robin

The thing to me that is interesting,is the same food types are indicated as being problematic for many. I have issues with rice,ground carrots,cole slaw,ground meat and for me sometimes just liquids. I had a cricopharyngeal  esophageal stricture diagnosed at age 21 when a pill completely obstructed my esophagus and I couldn't swallow my own saliva. I was deemed hysterical ,admitted,spitted for over 24 hrs,despite  barium study showing  inability to swallow(barium through the nose is very unpleasant) and an inability for NG tube to be passed. It took another barium study, with it again forcefully coming back through my nose, on day 2 to convince them to scope me. They discovered the full,partially disintegrating ibuprofen. Of course, it had very much inflamed from pressure and the partial loss of the enteric coating leading to motrin eating away my esophagus. I received multiiple dilations and the area is said to be open but I still feel things get caught there and swallow studies support this.I was diagnosed by biopsy 3 times to have eosinophilic esophagitis,but this spring my biopsy did not show it.
This new problem for me occurs when those culprit foods are eaten. I even experienced an episode when taking a tylenol hard caplet. It seemed as if the it was typical slowing at that previously strictured area and soda came through my nose. It burned and I blew my nose repeatedly to get out the soda. The uncomfortable sensation persisted for almost 2 hours and then finally with another attempt to relieve the burning sensation,I blew my nose and the entire intact pill came out.
I have spinal problems and had a lumbar fusion that was successful until an injury in PT. My cervical spine has degeneration among multiple other remarkable findings. My symptoms on my right arm increased over a six month period and a new C-spine MRI supported worsening changes on the right. My doctor dismisses it. This week I returned for follow up and reported that I felt my symptoms that were initially relieved by surgery had returned. I indicated my right arm,wrist and hand problems were worsening,as well as this swallowing issue.
Two different neurologists attributed my symptoms in my arms and legs to spinal degeneration degeneration,sciatica when in reality my spine was unstable and the surgery was mandatory..
My neurosurgeon is investigating my C-spine and L-spine issues with an MRI of both, and CT of L-spines. He says he doesn't believe any of my symptoms in my right arm are related to the degenerative changes and thinks my L-spines are also fine/sees no problem with the fusion. He thinks that all my problems are neurological and is referring me to neurology again.He actually said he never heard of anyone swallowing and having food come out there nose. He said my symptoms all sound neurological and unrelated to spinal pathology.He acted as if there was never a report of C-spine issues causing difficulty swallowing.I was simply attributing my past esophageal issues to this new phenomenon.
As soon as I left the office,I started to explore neurological causes for difficulty swallowing. I quickly and easily discovered ,although rare, there are degenerative issues in the C-spine area that can cause these swallowing difficulties.Most are related to acute severe trauma to the C-spines,but there were other reported causes of C-spine issues causing this problem. I am seeing top neurosurgeon at a famous Baltimore hospital.I do believe he is fantastic,but it is disconcerting that he has "never' seen this. It only took a few minutes to discover these other anatomical problems being reported.
I honestly also considered neurological causes since these symptoms were a bit different than my past swallowing problems.
I then found this site with all these other people experiencing the exact same issues with the same foods.
I hate seeing that only a rare few are being diagnosed with either an anatomic or neurological cause,while every one else is in the "crazy" category. I have been there with the stuck pill. For 1 1/2 years I suffered with my back and was told when they looked at my back radiology studies,my back didn't look that bad. In reality my spine was unstable  and needed the fusion.
I foresee being frustrated again on this medical,messy merry go round.

Hi Cooper105!

I got to this site from googling, "acid reflux, going up to back of nose"... Interestingly, I randomly have this issue. But recently I went to this holistic chiropractor, who adjusted my back and neck, even though I wasn't experiencing any back/neck pain... I left feeling a bit off balance, but nothing too painful that I thought to say anything... 5 days later, I woke up with pain by my right shoulder-blade/upper back area, I thought it would go away in 2-3 days, as I never have back pain. Then the pain persisted and traveled down my right arm and some of my fingers. I went back to the chiropractor thinking that for sure, he'll fix whatever he did... but I left back home in only more pain. After 20 + days of pain, the first 3 fingers on my right hand are partially numb. Online I found some exercises for a pinched nerve and when I do them, I feel the blood coming back to my arm and fingers... Then, I suddenly started having acid reflux, WHICH I NEVER HAVE. I didn't connect the dots. I thought that it was probably due to this new diet he put me on. So I stopped with the new diet and stopped with the new vitamins, but it seems like the damage has already begun and difficult to just "go back." The acid reflux got so bad, my throat felt like it was on fire and the food and acid just kept coming up to me and to the back of my nose. Even when I don't eat anything, the liquids will come up to the back of my nose.

So, I've been researching like crazy... And it seems as though several factors have occurred. I'm curious if you have any other co-existing conditions and if there are any other similarities in our stories.

So you mentioned the advil getting stuck, have you been taking a lot of advils?? Because of my back pain I was taking ibuprofens several days in a row, which is known to hurt the lining of the stomach. I also had been taking a lot of vitamins that I had stopped, which can also contribute to this. Vitamin D & Vitamin C & digestive enzymes, were stopped, and all those are beneficial for digestion & now that I had stopped, plus taking the advils, my stomach lining became sensitive which could be part of the cause for my acid reflux.

I've also read that a pinched nerve/vagus nerve can impact digestion and if it's damaged or being pressed on it won't do it's jobs well.

In addition this chiropractor moved some stuff on me, not really sure what he did, but there's something called Hiatal Hernia - A condition in which part of the stomach pushes up through the diaphragm muscle... So I didn't feel it before, but I do feel it now.

I also feel like I have something called, Gastroparesis - A condition that affects the stomach muscles and prevents proper stomach emptying, so all my food just stays in the stomach rotting away and causes indigestion and acid reflux/food particles to go back up. So in addition to the massive acid reflux, indigestion, I have massive BELCHING, from almost eating nothing. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat either.

I am now also having a more difficult time catching my breath, when I do anything exerting the tiniest bit of energy, picking something or going up some stairs, sounds like a just ran a marathon by how out of breath I am.. Also I've been spitting up phlegm and sometimes just saliva with some particles in it, not sure if it's phlegm or bile or whatever.

In addition to all of this, now that my stomach/digestion area is not working well, that impacts histamines... That's ANOTHER whole topic. I am always slighlty intolerant/allergic to certain foods, but nothing deathly... and now suddenly things that I normally would get a slight reaction to, I am getting a HUGE reaction to. It's difficult to explain and it would be super lengthy, but in short, I've been experiencing massive hives to any direct heat and some other stuff. So I've been taking benadryl to help with that. I also forgot to mention that I've been feeling really nauseous as well as weak and light-headed. The benadryl seems to help with the nausea and I've read from other people that it also has helped with their acid reflux.

Now I don't know if you have any of these things, so far the only connection from my symptoms and yours are the back/arm pain and the food going behind the nose/taking advil... So, do you suffer from acid reflux??? Do you suffer from any of the other stuff I've mentioned??

I also wanted to mention that I take adderall and I feel like that just makes the whole stomach/acid refluc thing worse, but it's not the direct cause, because I've taken it for years before this maladjustment and had no such issues with it.

Would love to hear back from you!

Mandy
I hope some of you may have figured out by now what is causing the problem with food going up your sinuses- I have been having this problem for over 2 years now..I knew that I have problem with Acid reflux as I sometimes cough at night when I laid down, or feel like choking.
then I started having frequent sinus infections that took a long time to improve so I went to ENT, he then recommended sinus surgery- which I unfortunately went for..my problem got worse, i had sinus infection the week after surgery!..then I started having problem with feeling like something stuck in the back of my throat, when I tried to rinse it with sinus wash, it didn't feel like whatever stuck was coming out, I started using a lot of water and spent hours trying to rinse it..then start having excessive saliva especially after I eat but not all the times, it was unpredictable. It was really disgusting and embarrassing..I can't even function well at work, because I had to spend time in the bathroom trying to rinse my nose and mouth, so strange..I can spit out saliva for an hour, I don't know where it came from..
After seeing ENT, sinus surgery, a few GI doctors, back to ENT- and a few other tests..
I am pretty sure now..that my problem is what called
Non-acid reflux or Laryngopharyngeal reflux which is different from GERD..that's why PPI doesn't help that much, I'm still struggling because I'm afraid to eat and lay down..I don't know what kind of food would make me start having all these saliva again..but at least it helps to understand what the heck is going on because it was driving me crazy for two years..
Now, I am trying to adapt to Fast Tract Diet..which is supposed to help reduce the reflux symptoms..and not eat too much in one meal, chew food well, not eat before laying down (which is so hard)..
Hope it helps..
Hi Emmy,  I too have had sinus surgery and even though it helped breathe more deeply I too am suffering from this strange feeling of something stuck/irritating my throat.  I fit pretty much all the LPR symptoms too but when I mention this to doctors they look at blankly.  Anyhow, have you recovered???  Hope you have!  Please reply.   - Steve
Can you please help me and let me know what to do , I was eating breakfast (yes I do have acid reflux)  and when I swallowed I coughed think I chock on my food and some went in my nose , I don't know what to do I was eating eggs and bacon , at that time I was eating eggs , I'm only 15, I'm scared of doctors , and my mom doesn't know what to do please , do I blow out my nose ? Can big things get unlodged from the nose ?? I'm scared of doctors
Hi I just looked this up because I has been happening to me for some time now. However I have noticed it more since I had cervical fusion done a few years back. They cut through the front of the neck to do this. I believe that it may have weakened the muscles somewhat. I know that for me if I am eating crumbly foods I must practice focused swallowing in order to avoid the problem, and occasionally it still happens. I it a good measure to use a (Neil Med Sinus Rinse) a few times a week. I suggest this for everyone on this topic. It cleans out all foreign crap from the nasal cavity as well as let it run down the back of the through to wash out old food. I use this every time I sing in public, it really helps with mucus,  colds, allergies etc. Just google this product.