Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Food going up nasal cavity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Food going up nasal cavity

The other week I was eating some cake and somehow some of it went up my nose.  I eventually got it down after snorting and blowing my nose.  I didnt think too much of it until this week when the same thing happened again except I couldnt get the food down.   The problem is now whenever I eat all my food keeps getting caught in my nasal cavity.  My left nostril feels rather weird where it joins the bak of my throught, it feels like there is   some sort of gap which wont close.  Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening or what can be causing it?  It's quite distressing and making it very awkward to eat solids.

Hi mich,

I have the same thing, except it's been going on for over a year for me!  When I swallow (especially when I'm eating things like rice) I seem to force the food up the back of my nose as well as down my throat.  It can stay there for weeks, sometimes months at a time, and (this is gross) I can smell it, it smells like halitosis.  Yuck.  Every now and then I will manage to suck it out, it ends up popping back into my mouth (still gross), and viola!  I can spit it out and show the rotten piece of food to people such as my sceptical husband who didn't believe that I had something up my nose all that time.

I am in the UK at the moment, and just got a NHS number, so will visit the doctor next week and see what he says.

Let me know how you got on :)

Trace
Did you have any recent surgery?  Tonsillectomy or adenoidectomy?  If not, this could be a sign of an anatomic or neurological problem.  I would see an Otolaryngologist (you will need a fiberoptic nasal scope exam).  Nasal regurgitation can be seen after surgery or could be from a muscle or nerve weakness.  Does this happen when you drink liquids also?  You will also likely need some blood work and possibly an MRI depending on the other results.  
Also, does your voice sound different?  Does it seem like more air is flowing through your nose when you use your voice?
I have had this since I was young. My dad and my sister also have it. It is worse for me for foods such most raw veges - carrots, capsicums, lettuce, and apple skin. It causes a minor infection, gets goopy and i go down with a cold until it decides to come out in a lump of goo. I have tried to improve my immune system so that it doesn't affect me as much when it happens.

I have also discovered that it is stopping me from fully playing the didgeridoo as the pressure going down the didg is reduced by a slip of air coming out my nose!!

I have a referral to an ear nose throat specialist so will see what can be done, but i hadn't heard of a otolaryngologist ! so thanks for that.. in the past most doctors just looked at my like i was weird when i explained it..
heh guys,

as suggested by OTOHNS_MD i got it checked out by fibreoptic nasal scope exam and there is nothing physiologically wrong, it may be just a lazy palette, so i will try speech pathology for exercises and let you know how i go..
I have the exact same thing!! Food goes up my nasal cavity when I swallow.  Then I lost my sense of smell shortly after the first episode then recently I feel like I "smell" the same odor all the time when no one in my family can smell what I think I smell. I feel like I always have something in the back of my nasal cavity--and can actually "snort" thick mucus--sounds yucky but that's what it is).  I saw an ENT twice who scoped my nose twice but he didn't do anything except give me some antibiotics because the back of my throat was red (but didn't help the relux into my nose).  The suggestion by OTOHNS_MD is something I'm willing to try regarding the neurological problem as I have problems with my neck that affect the strength in my arms so maybe it affects my swallowing too.  I'll let you know.

I have the same thing whenever I eat I get the feeling of food, I know its food sometimes its spicy and I can feel it and my eyes tear and I have to snort and try to pull it up from the back of my throat.  I sound so yucky as well.  I do not like how it feels. I always have something in the back of my throat of in my nasal cavity.  I am afraid to eat sometimes.
What do I do regarding this episode that is happening to me. I get food in my nasal cavity.  It is very frustrating   to feel food there and can't get it down or up.  I even inhale warm water in my nostrils, and try to drain it back out but I have to wait for maybe some days before it comes back with mucus.  Yucky, I am not smelling it as yet like the others but I know maybe sooner or later I will be.  I am scared to eat food now.  
I have this too but it comes out relativly fast for me (well I think most of it) I am scarred it is going to cause some kind of cancer or somthing, having food rotting in your nasal cavity.
Guys, I go the same problem. I thought I was the only one on earth. It happens to me mostly when I eat rice. Later in the day a small piece of rice might appear in my mucos. It's tolerable in the summer, but in the winter it nearly always triggers a nasal infection, which really gets infected badly with brown thick mucos. I was thinking maybe I have an air pocket or polyp in that area. Even without the food going up the back of the throat, i sometimes get a similar feeling when I have hay fever, inhale chemicals or irritants. Maybe there is a connection with nasal rhinitis, which I also have.
Also having the same problem, it started about 2 weeks ago and now happens every single time i eat.....am going to see a doctor about it but would be good to know the outcome of anyone who has had this diagnosed.
I have a similar problem, also when I eat rice or other soft foods.  I'll swallow normally, but some will get stuck in my sinuses (I've even blown it out of my nose before).  Using a saline neti-pot or sinus rinse (I use Neilmed) has helped alot, but I'm wondering if this could be related to my neuralgia.
hey I got the same problem, when I eat rice, ground beef, or anything small and soft it feels like it gets caught in my nasal cavity and thats all I can smell and it's very irritable. I think its caused by either lazy muscles or problems with the palate. I wish I had a way to solve it as a perminant solution however as a temporary fix getting food out, I find coughing, snorting, hawking a loogy and other common acts often ends up with either spitting the food out or blowing it out my nose.

Ian
I have this problem also, I've had it for a few years now. It comes and goes, it seems to be worse in the warmer months. I get pills stuck above my soft palate....it is an awful feeling as the start to dissolve. But it is causing gag reflex response, which is quite annoying. The worst part is, vomiting does not relieve the issue. I have tried nasal irrigation, hot liquids and hit spoons against the lower portion of my soft palate, and many other crazy things. As disgusting as it sounds I actually had a piece of a capsule some out when I blew my nose once. I am at my whits end with this. The ENT I have to see through the VA thinks I am nuts and doesn't believe me. Then again, I call when I am experiencing it but I don't get an appt for a month and by then it is gone.
Wow...I never thought I was the only one with this problem, but I alco never expected to see so many with unanswered questions about this.  I too have an issue where all types of food is passed into my post nasal cavity.  This is very uncomfortable and causes me to gag witch only delivers a small amount of regergitated food into the cavity, not helping the issue at all.  I also try the snorting, blowing and all else I can get the back of my throught to do, but only after hours of discomfort, does it remove its self.  Most previous post say this is caused by soft foods, but mine can be anything from rice (almost always) to chunks of peanuts.  If anyone has a hint on how to avoid this from happening, or to romove the food befor infection (which almost always occurs, even if food is removed emediatly) please e-mail me @   ***@****  Thank you and good luck with this issue.
Hmm...sorry about contact info,,,,,was not aware they do not let you post personal contact information.  :(   I guess I will check this page often till i get a resonable answer.

I haven't had this recently but I believe my experience is related; I've laughed while eating and had (of all horrible food)  a bit of Pot Noodle come out of my nose. Also the same thing with melted cheese on toast (which really hurt!).

Recently however I've had probs with my nose / breathing. I'm now snoring to the point where it's actually woken me up, and I regularly wake up with a massive amount of horrible gunk in the back of my dry throat. When I've slept in a room with friends, recently they've said I've started snoring excessively, to where they can't sleep.

I broke my nose nearly 10 years ago, with no "apparent" repercussions, but recently developed these problems and the have come to a point where I can't sleep in a room with other people because I keep them awake!

hi there I've had this problem for the last 2 years and all my doctors just seemed more confused than me I thought I was just being stupid, but I figured something out this week it works for me, it seems that when I swallow I push the back part and middle part of my tongue up further than the tip, try when you swallow to relax your tongue and push the tip to the back of your top row of teeth, I sometimes forget but its happened less and less this whole week I am soooooooo happy was the most unattractive thing trying to eat with a girl and I kept snorting in chunks of food lol but hope this helps you all let me know if it did
I am too having this problem now, it is for almost anything I eat, food goes up to nasal cavity. I will try to rinse it out with the small tea pot with saline water in it. Also will se my dr. It also giving me headache now, since I can't get the food out.
I recently had a bad vomiting episode and had a lot of food being pushed up into and out of my nose. I obviously cleared my nasal passages the best I could, but I have now developed problems with my sense of taste and smell. Most food tastes have been tarnished with a chemical-like taste which is absolutely horribe. I am at a loss of what to do.
Has this happened to anyone?? Does anyone know of a fixxit for this?? Any info will be greatly appreciated!
Whew I though I was the only one with this problems, where food gets lodged in the back of my throat and had to either swallow or blow it out my nose.  Just recently I was talking to a friend of mine and he told me he used the have this same problem due to Apnea but this all stopped when he starting to use the C-Pak.  Guess what I will get it with my next paycheck.  Hope this helps.
I have had a similar problem to. I was eating peas and choked on one. When I coughed it up it seemed to go up into my nasal passage and I feel it is lodged in my palette.  For weeks afterwards my mouth was continuously drying out and I couldn't seem to produce any saliva.  It has been about 2 years since this happened and I still seem to have the reoccuring dry mouth problem and it feels like I have a hard object lodged in my nasal/palette area.  When I spoke to my doctor about it he said food objects like this eventually breakdown and go on there own although it could cause a sinus infection and if this happened I would need antibiotics.  As it has been 2 years and I still feel there is something lodged there I am not sure what to do to move it. Also sometimes it feels like it is moving down and I almost feel it is hard to breathe as if it is blocking my airway.  I have tried a netti pot and this did not help.  
I have the same problem which had just started for about a week now... This happens when i eat anything small and soft also like rice and all that, and also when i chew fruits such as apples and peaches they also get stuck up there when i swallow and this is making me not eat those anymore... i would feel like theres something stuck up on my nasal cavity and i couldnt get it out... this will last for the whole day and even if i sneeze it out or snort it out it still wouldnt come out... but the next day i would feel better again like i got it out somehow on my sleep... I told my co-worker about this and she said that her mom was having the same problem and went to see the dentist, the dentist referred her to an ent doctor then the ent doctor diagnosed her with arthritis,  told her that her nasal bone was a little enlarged due to arthritis inflamation (inflammation).
Wow!  This forum started in 2007.  I was hoping someone already has an answer to this problem which I am also suffering from.  What to do?
FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH. . . . . . I, too had this problem.  Will share with you what worked for me.  Sought out a specific type of Chiropractor, and he immediately felt my neck was out of alignment at the C4 vertebra location.  This Chiropractor, who graduated in the 1970s, is specifically trained in individual vertebra manipulation, meaning he can adjust just ONE vertebra of the spine, putting it back into the correct position.  IMMEDIATELY, I felt better.  Don't quite know the intricacies of the correlation between the nose and throat, but I found instant relief!  BE CAREFUL THOUGH, there are several trained, competent Chiropractors, each whom may excel in varied treatment methods.  I SHOULD KNOW, I WENT TO SIX DIFFERENT CHIROPRACTORS BEFORE I FOUND ONE WHOSE SPECIALIZED TRAINING WORKED FOR ME!  And, a little more disclosure, depending on how long one has suffered with this condition, more than one office visit may be required to alleviate the discomfort.  I suffered for approximately six years, a result of an accident, not initially realizing my head and neck were affected.
I sympathize because I know, only too well, how disconcerting and uncomfortable this affliction can render itself.  GOOD LUCK!  Hope my post helps those in need.  One more thing, for future Chiropractor appointments, regardless of what geographical location I might live, I know what Chiropractic School this talented doctor attended, so I will, for here on out, seek a Chiropractor who graduated from this specific school.  Don't know if this post will allow it, but in case of inquiry, I am in the United States.  If you are wondering what Chiropractor College my doctor was trained at . . . .  Here are a few clues.  Know history:  For the Chiropractic College name:  Think Civil War, Union, Generally prominent surname.  For the Chiropractic College state location:  Direction of driving from Union Territory to Confederate Territory.
For nearly ten years i have had this problem. even as i type carfully now with a huge booger on my left index finger.......
RAMEN IS THE WORST!!! followed by rice and some cereals. at first many years ago i thought a wolfing session of some raw garbanzo beans started it (i was broke and hungry) then i remembered a few years before that i sniffed a bottle of carpet cleaning chemical to see if it was deoderizer......BIG MISTAKE it was a chemical for white wool that had ast in the sun for a loooong time. burnt the crap outta my nostrils. anywho, that was around 2001 or so. now there was this time in like 97 i was at a party and this drunk a-hole headbutted me in the nose like three times before i said F IT!!!! i was pretty hammered and hit the wrong guy. short story long i thik that !HOLE WHO I WANT TO KILL may have damaged or broke my nose and i am just now realizing it cause it didnt hurt back then. anyways i get food shooting up my sinus all the time, then blow and snort till my ears get stuffed. maybe some of it is even boing in my ear canal cause it really gets stuffed for days if i try too hard. I have been to an ear nose and throat doc within the last year and he was useless. several MRIS showed minor swelling one time and none another and so on, so it keeps changing in there. the quak diagnosed me with rhinitus and gave me a nasel spray thingy and now it constantly feels like theres water somewere above roof of mouth. sorry this post is sooo long but i really tire of this nasal problem.... YEARS!!!!!!!
aghh this happens to me all the time as well.. its awful,  im actually writing this with a piece of ground beef in my nasal cavity right now. I dont know if its relevant but i wanted to add that right around this started happening to me, every time i vomit it exits through my nose as well as my mouth.. so gross.. and painful. especially last week when i managed to get a huge piece on barbecue chicken in my nose, ouch..
GET OFF THE INTERNET AND GO SEE A DOCTOR BEFORE U HAVE A INFECTION OR SOMETHING ELSE!!! This may be a warning sign of a more serious condition or can develop into one. This can be cause from many reasons.

Does the uvula control this?
Did yours shrink or fall off?
Is something changing the form of your throat?
did you put corrosive things up your nose you shouldn't have such as drugs or just being in a filthy dusty environment? Ive had wood smoke swell mine up for a day before.
Are you dehydrated?

Remedy any obvious problem you have and see a doctor because food up your nose can't be good.. you might get bacteria up there and cause more problems. every infection you have can destroy the tissue a little more until nothing is left, your sinuses is very close to your brain also which is pretty important to most people
to all whom share this problem. I had my uvula removed 9 years ago and last year just started gettig food caught in the back of my nose. Ive been to several ENT's even done the speech therapy. on my last visit i found out they cut way to much out of the back of my throat and now small food particles are able to travel up into my sinuses. GO TO THIS WEB SITE! http://www.maxillofacialprosth.org/Patients/PatientEd_SPP.html     it is an option to be able to eat again its like wearing a retainer after having braces. If not there is a painful surgery that lifts the back of the throat sewing it to your soft palate for 3 weeks then cutting it off to rebuild some tissue.
I have had this problem off and on for several years.  It doesn't happen all the time to me, or just with certain food either.  I've had everything from a FULL gummy bear to a 2" spaghetti noodle come out of my nose.  I have choked (seriously, foam...vomit...CHOKED) during a few of these episodes. I recently mentioned it to my family physician who took a look at the back of my throat and was astonished. I had my tonsils and adnoids removed about 16 years ago, but one of my tonsil posts has grown inward. Also, the arches on each side of my uvula are uneven (one hangs really low, one is raised). I have an appointment on November 2nd with an ENT. However, in the meantime...I had a CT scan on my ribs for an unrelated issue.  The tech scanned a little higher than required...which happened to be a good thing.  She scanned my thyroid which showed nodules. I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Not sure if that may be part of the issue as well. However, after undergoing a VOS on November 2nd and seeing what the ENT has to say, I will come back and post the results if anyone is interested.  Well wishes.
well i have the same thing but the the doctor gave me antibiotics but  i know is not infection  because   the all the food i eat it feels like it get stuck to and in my nose to it feel like you can not swallow anything not even food or water because it feel you have something or the food get stuck  in you nose and throat well i have the same thing thz good i am not the only one i have that thz yo ever body for there comment now i know i am not the only one !
i have the samething
I have had this for ages now, i just figured i had a chromosome too much or something... After reading all this i think  i can safely say i'm not retarded...
There's some mashed potatoes in my nose as i am typing, also my nose is infected because i got some mouthwash in there somehow... Don't get strong mouthwash in your nose, it's a ******* pain...
It sounds like this is pretty common...thought I was the only weird on with old food in my throat. My dentist/boss says its caused by a triangular shaped nasal passage opening. There's a specific name for it but I forget. One side is more triangle than the other ...hence I get more food in that side.
I can empty it almost everyday by using my finger and pushing on the back of my throat near the opening ...it squeezes the food out. Only use clean hands please!!!!!!!!! My gag reflex isn't as bad any more
What is the name of the triangular opening?  And is there any video of you pushing it out, Because the problem I have is wondering what part of the throat or nasal passage can I push on???
I've had this for about a year, and it's driving me crazy.
It happens with rice (all the time), and small pills mostly (nothing like trying to sleep with a Benadryl dissolving in your nasal cavity, ugh).
I'm an otherwise healthy 26 year old guy, so it seems weird.

I'm wondering... I still have my wisdom teeth. My dentist left them in because there was plenty of room. I wonder if it has something to do with me using them/chewing farther back then normal? Anyone with this problem also still have their wisdom teeth? Just curious.

Anyway, the problem seems to be called "nasal regurgitation".

"Nasal regurgitation: During swallowing, the soft palate and the uvula move superiorly to close off the nasopharynx, preventing food from entering the nasal cavity. When this process fails, the result is called nasal regurgitation. It is common in people with VPI, the myositides, and neuromuscular disease." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatine_uvula

Does anyone have tricks they use to push it out? Usually, as it's only small things that go up, I just wait a day or two for them to dissolve. Haven't had much trouble with smell yet. I've tried flushing it out by inhaling water up my nose, but that never seems to do the trick, and only makes me choke. I've tried pressing on my palette, or using my fingers to try and find it, but that never works either.

It's the constant awareness that SOMETHING IS STUCK UP THERE that drives me out of my mind.

It's amazing that there isn't more info on this on the web, and that doctors seem so baffled by it... it seems to me like a common enough mechanical error of the body.

I have never heard of this! That's very interesting and sounds frustrating....
I have had this problem since I was a child. It seems to be worse. The neck being out of alignment could be a problem. I also have allergies and arthritis. I read somewhere recently that auto imune diseases may cause this, and allergies and arthritis are both auto imune problems. I don't know what that has to do with it, but it may be true
I use saline water flushes to clean my sinuses out. My favorite is Simply Saline because it is mildly pressurized, and I don't want to make my own. Ocean is another brand some people like, it has a wider spray and less pressure, and Netty Pots will work as well if you'd prefer to pour the saline water through your sinuses. You can get these in the Sinus/Allergy section of the pharmacy.

So, when it happens I imediately grab a tissue and go for my sinus water spray. I try to use a lot, so that it runs through my sinuses, at least until whatever is lodged in there comes out. If my sinuses burn for no obvious reason, I do the same thing, and it works! My guess is that food usually causes the burning. I also use a tissue and blow it out if it is up far enough up towards the nose. Even with water I still have to try and hawk it up sometimes.

Flowing nasal saline however is really the answer to what "swallowingup" describes very well in his comment above. Just because I cannot always tell when food is stuck in my sinuses I use the nose water (nasal saline spray) every day just to keep it clean and to avoid getting a sinus infection from old food.

Also, if the nasal saline isn't flowing through from your nose to your throat, see an Ear, Nose, Throat (ENT) doctor, also known as an Otolaryngologist. If the saline solution won't flow through you may have a blockage (allergic swelling, your turbines may be too big, old food lodged in there etc) An ENT is the right kind of doctor to take a look and figure it out for you, an ENT Surgeon may also be able to fix the problem with surgery but the problem would have to be pretty bad to make that worth while for me.
I've had the same problem for years. Every kind of food can get in there and stay for days, extremely hard to get it out. The bad smell really bothers me.    I saw an ENT doctor in 2006, he performed an endoscopic exam and found nothing wrong in my nose.  He was relieved when I told him I had seasonal allergy, and just gave me a saline spray and an allergy spray.  When I tried the saline spray, I felt some burning sensation at the back of my nose/top of my throat.  The allergy spray felt worse.  I could not breath through my nose after these sprays because it hurt.  Really want to find a cure.
I am 19 and have had this problem for years. In the winter months i get nasal infections constantly (4 this year). During the summer months i get it but no infection. Sometimes i will drink something and a chunk of whatever is up there will come out into my mouth and ill spit it out, it won't smell but if i squish it has a horrible smell. My girlfriend says my breath never smells like it, thank god haha. I have never talked to a doctor but i will as soon as i have time.
anyone have solution? i have this thing 3 years ago, its f**king annoying, have meet doctor 5 times, but he just give me antibiotics.. some of my friend told me that my voice is different from before, and this thing also give me headache after taking meals, and halitosis too.
sorry for my bad english
For me it feels like most of my swallowing pressure goes up a hole in my sinuses.
I have to chew my food till it turns watery gross in order to swallow it. Scared to eat alone because the possibility of choking is always in the back of my mind. Don't enjoy food anymore as if life could not get any worse.
My problem is slightly different.Vomit like substance comes out of my nose when I am sleeping.HELP
I am 46 and have had this food going up instead of down issue.
I also recognise the smell issue , the rotten pupl reapearing days/weeks later.
I did see ENT specialists as a child.
They knew nothing. (Well they did nothing).
I tried again as a teenager. (Still nothing).
I felt like i was making a fuss about nothing.
It still happens today.
I tried Nazel douches., water in a bottle, form chemist(For those who like to purge)
Lying on my back on the floor, and breathing deeply can dislodge it.
I also stopped eating cheese/cream/milk, which seemed to contribute to the problem somehow.

I never thought I would see so many comments about this. Thank god. I am so glad I am not alone. My boyfriend loks at me like I am crazy when I try to tell him about it. I am not sure how long this has been going on and I dont really pay much attention to it untill I get a piece of pepper up there. Then my whole world is turned upside down. My eyes, nose, and throat burn like crazy. I have tried all the sinus flushes and snorting like crazy. nothing seems to work. I would be pissed if I paid money to see a doctor and left with no answers and still miserable.
Dear Lizard, Im also having this problem but I also cant say some words, Air like comes out my  nose, Can anyone help? I was eating some jellie lolly then i sniffed then blew my nose and the lollie came out.... Im scared  

:( Can you please help? Its really annoying, Cant swollow water(drink) in mouthfulls etc. Thanks
Dear Lizard, When im eating some food the food comes out my nose, I saw your post. I have the same thing and that when I talk air comes out my nose and i cant pronounce certain words. Can you help? Thanks.
I've had the same problem for a while now, thought I was unique. Glad to find I'm not alone and hopefully can work out how to solve this.

So frustrating, mine seems to be worse with all dried foods (dried granola is a nightmare), but bits of everything really.  Also paracetamol tablets always seem to go up and leave a horrible feeling for a while until they dissolve.  Often this causes me to sneeze and I fire out little bits of decomposing foods, which have a funky peppery smell which is much worse if squeezed.

I’ve also been suffering from constant sniffles and mild flu type symptoms that hardly ever seem to go away.   I’ve also just started to use a nasal rinse but its too early top say if that is having any effect.

Think people need to start stating if they have had anything done to their mouth / nose to see if there is any common symptoms.

I’ve had my tonsils out 30 years ago, nose broken and reset through surgery, wisdom teeth removed at the dentist also had a few molars removed.
Hi there,
My teenage son just came in with this problem after eating a carrot while playing, as boys do.

We read right through all the problems above, with very few solutions visible - any real doctors out there? - So before resorting to getting the compressor cranked up to low pressure and blowing it out back down his nose, we tried water - got him to gargle water furiously while tilting his head back and forth - this got some of the carrot out and one nostril is clear now.
Next I got a length of 8mm plastic tubing and blew slowly down one end while he held the other in the blocked nostril, lying on his back. I had to do it slowly, as he couldn't take it fast.

Next I tried a few mls of warm water in a loop of the hose, blowing this down the same way. We got some more out, but the biggest bit is still there.
If he gets a bit more desperate tomorrow I might try the same again with more force. Leaving it to rot isn't an option.
Hopefully a bit of "Kiwi ingenuity" that might just help someone else.
Thanks - most informative answer yet!
I too have had food stuck in my throat.It started 3 years ago and has been getting worse..

Until two days ago I DECIDED TO FINALLY HAVE MY TWO UPPER MOLARS EXTRACTED!

PROBLEM IS NOW SOLVED!

I am sure food was being pushed too far back while chewing with the molars in place that it was getting in to the nasal cavity (Food would sometimes shoot out of my nose while using the nasal irrigation machine) since that first happened I made it my personal conclusion (That food was stuck in nasal passages and not my throat) and got the courage to have the extractions.

Come to think of it,the first time my dentist recommended taking the molars out was 3 years ago...But they hadn't fully come out so I ignored my dentists and decided to wait till they did and the extraction would be easier.

The other problem with food not being swallowed properly is (my opinion again) because of my jaw changes since the molars erupted I wasn't chewing the food enough and swallowing too fast..My bite changed and jaw had become stiff because of Arthritis.

I am not saying go and get your molars removed, but after suffering with this and going through the same troubles most of you have been through I am sure there are many out there who are like me.

Anyone here who is still suffering from food particles still has their molars?

Wish you all the best

MJ
I have just started this JUST THE LIQUID COMING TO THE NASAL ASSAGE NOTICED IT YESTERDAY ONCE  DID NOT THINK ANYTHING OF IT ALSO MY NOSE HAS STARTED TO GET STUFFED AGAIN ON ONE SIDE NO SNEEZING LIKE WHEN I HAD HAYFEVER,  have eenhaving rolems with something stuck in my throat feeling een to ent who said i have ost nasal dri yesterday and today feel that when i drink the liquid goes in my nose, no urning sensation when this haens like when water goes into your nose when swimming when i went with the issue of something stuck in my throat the ent sent a camera last decemeer and said that it looks irritated due t ost nasal dri i am starting to get a it scared ecause of this what is it . i HAVE ALSO GOT THIS UNCOMFORTABLE FEELING LIKE THERE WAS SOMETHING STUCK IN MY THROAT SENSATION WTHATS WHY I WAS ASKED TO SEE A ENT NOW THIS, I HAD ALLERGIES BAD AND WAS UT ON SALONE FROM AUGUST TO NVOEMBER BUT TOOK IT TILL DECEMBER AS MY OLLEN WS SO HIGH. I DONT FEEL THE DRI AT ALL ANYMORE I WAS UT N NEXIUM 2 MG RECENTLY MID DECEMBER AS I WAS HAVING RESSURE SORT OF AINS FROM THROAT TO CHEST, FELT BETTER BUT NOT COMLETELY GONE SO THEY INCREASED IT TO 4O MG. I TOOK IT IN THE NIGHT WHEN I FELTND WENT TO BEDHAD TO GET U TO GET SOME WATER IN THE NIGHT FELT NAUSEATED AND ALSO AFTER I TOOK IT FELT AS IF EVERYTHINGWAS FUNNY IN MY MOTH LIKE TOO MUCH SALIVA OR SOMETHING SO I STARTED TO CUT IT IN TWO AND TAKE half a day as i did not have that sensation, then last saturday a friend said to take asoftidia with some water and OMAM WATER CALLED DASHAMULARISHTA IT IS GOOD FOR STOMACH ROBLEMS  i did it made me BELCH A LOT FELT A BIT BETTER BUT STOMACH WAS SLIGHTLY FUNNY, SINCE  I STARTED THIS   STOED THE NEXIUM,  DID NOT TAKE ANYTHING TODAY WENT FOR A NECK MASSAGE AS i AM HAVING AINS BEHIND THE NECK FOR SOME TIME ON AND OFF WENT TO THE CHIRO WHO DID X RAYS OF THE FROM NECK TO LOWER BACK LAST YEAR AND SAID NOTHING TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT JUST A SLIGHT CURVE HAVE NEVER HAD IS  AND NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. tHE REASEON TO STO THE NEXIUM WAS BECASUE THEY SAY THIS CAN CAUSE LIVER DAMAGE
wENT AND GOT A NECK MASSAGE AND CAME HOME HAD DRINK OF TEAAND FELT LIKE IT WAS GOING INTO MY NOSE AND CLEARED THE SINUS ISSUE i HAD YESTERDAY AND TODAY,  i AM WORRIED WHY IS THIS HAENING HAS THE MASSAGE MADE IT WORSE, AS I DID NOT HAVE THIS THE WHOLE DAY AGAIN UNTIL I CAME HOME AFTER THE MASSAGE. BY THE WAY THE NECK  ISSUE  IT WOULD COME AND GO DURING THE DAY IF THE RESSURE IN THROAT IS BAD THE BACK OF NECK AIN IS WORSE.  LEASE I FEEL SO SCARED
hI THERE i TOO WENT TO AN ENT AS i HAD HAYFEVER AND WAS FOUND TO BE HIGHLY RONED TO DUST , MITES  THE REASON i SAW HIM WS AS i HAD A FEELING OF SOMETHING STUCK IN MY THROAT HE SENT A CAMER DON MY NOSE SAID i HAD OST NASAL DRI, THEN HE DID THE ALLERGY TESTING i ENDED WITH A COUNT OF 1695 IT SHOULD BE O TO 2OO, MY NOSE IS CROOKKED SO WHEN I DID THE SALINE WATER THING TO CLEAR IT  IT DID NOT COME THROUGH THE OTHER NOSE IT CAME OUT OF THE SAME NOSE BUT THE OTHER ONE I WAS ABLE TO RINSE, I ALSO HAVE AIN FROM MIDDLE OF THROAT TO THE TOP PART OF MY CHEST, I ALSO GET AIN AT THE Bck of neck when the ressure is worse, had a gastroscoy said that it was alright  nothing detected ut might have silent reflux, someone said that if there is silent reflux this toocan e noted as that art would e irritated, h Pylori iosy came out normal, cant get rid of this feeling now feel like the liquid i drink is going to the nostril cavity, yesterday once  and today  had a massage and canme home and had a drink to feel that as if t was coming out of my nose, my sinus too is clogging my nose for the last two days ut the liquid going u there has oened it out, when i slee i have three illows and my nose still gets stuffed , i only slee for aout 4 hours and WHEN i WAKE U AND TRY TO GO BACK TO SLEEP why is it that  i feel jumpy what is the reason SO I CANT GO INTO THAT STATE OF SLEEP AGAIN I JUST HOE THERE ARE ANSWERS TO OUR QUESTIONS WHY IS IT SUGGESTED THAT IT MIGHT BE A NEUROLOGICAL OR NERVE  ISSUE AND THEN WHO SHOULD WE SEE.  gOD BLESS YOU ALL AND MAY WE ALL FIND RELIEF FROM THIS SOMEMDAY
WHAT SORT OF BLOOD WORK WOULD BE NEEDED, I HAD AN ANAHALAXIS ATTACK WITH A BARIUM AND IV CONTRAST STUDY FOR MY STOMACK, WITH MRI IS IT THE SAME CONTRAST THAT IS USED IN SCANS, CAN TAKING 24 HR ZYRTEC STO THIS  ATTACK  BEFORE MRI, I HAVE NOTED THIS LIQUID GOING THROUGH MY NOSE I HAVE HAD SOMETHING STUCK IN THROAT ISSUE, SINCE 29 IT WENT N CAME BACK IN 2O11 SEEN ENT SAID ALLERGIES WAS HAVING HIGH ALLERGY COUNT ALSO HAVE NECK AIN WORSE WHEN THE RESSURE IN THROAT IS HIGH , ALSO HAVE A COUGH THAT WOULD JUST COME ON BEFORE TEH RESSURE INBETWEEN THROAT AND CHEST STARTS, THEN THE NECK AIN GETS MORE UNCOMFORTABLE AND YOU FEEL LIKE YOU WANT TO CRACK IT LIKE YOUR KNUCKLES,  THIS COMES AND GOES THOUGH OUT THE DAY. WENT FOR A MASSAGE IN THE EVENING AND WHEN CAME HOME NOTICED IT MORE THE LIQUID IN NOSE THING, NOT FOOD SO FAR, STARTED YESTERDAY JUST ONCE, DONT FEEL THE NASAL DRI  BUT MY NOSE IS STUFFED U  AND THE LIQUID CLEARED IT FOR SOMETIME BACK TO WHERE IT STARTED,BLOCKED AGAINWHEN I HAD THE THROAT ISSUE REALLY BAD FELT THE VOICE GO HIGH AND LOW, AND THE VOICE GETS TIRED WHEN TALKING HAD YUCK MUCOS IN THROAT MAY BE DUE TO OST NASAL DRI, WHAT IS GOING ON ANY INFORMATION IS WELCOME, I WAS AT THE ENT ONLY IN AUGUST AND NOVEMBER WAS ON  SLOAN TABLETS DUE TO ALLERGIES UNTIL SRING BUT TOOK IT FOR A COULE OF WEEKS INTO DECEWMBER AS i WAS SCARED TO STO IT. WENT TO  THE CHIRO AROUND SET NOVEMBER  LAST YEAR DUE TO THIS AT THE TIME MY ALLERGIES WERE HIGH TOO DID XRAY OF SINE SAID NOTHING JUST A SLIGHT CURVE XRAYS.  SO NOW THIS LIQUID THING FOR THE LAST TWO DAYS TOGETHER WITH THROAT ISSUES, WHAT IS GOING ON WITH US ALL GOD ONLY KNOWS. LOOKING FOR ASWERS, FEEL SO STUID GOING TO THE DOCTORS ALL THE TIME. WHAT ELSE COULD GO WRON G FAITH IS THE ONLY THING LEFT IN ME GOD BLESS YOU ALL
Hi.  This is the first time I ever googled this condition I HAVE.    I have been living with this for like three years.   I wake up all through the night with stuff flowing out of my nose ( a disguisting mixture of sinus stuff and whatever food or drink I had ingested within the last few hours before i went to sleep.  The ENTs and my Primary doctor have absolutely no idea what I am talking about - they act like I am lying...  I have been reading lots of peoples posts and felt inclined to write to you.  Have you found any solution?  I certainly hope so...   Hope to hear from you    
:)Liz
I had tissue like mucosity out my mouth nasal cavity while suffering sore throat or sinus infection after doing gargles with pomegranate peel and salt tea.  It felt like whatever was stuffing up came out and got better afterwards.  Better soon after waking up.  Hope this remedy helps somebody with nose-throat issues.  
I know this is an old post, but this is me exactly! Is anyone still out there having this problem. I was put on Nexium because the doctors have said it is gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GErD for short, but I take the Nexium and the darn thing goes right into my sinuses and I gag and gag, WTF is this all about! This has been going on for 6 weeks now, and other food is getting stuck in there too. I have had all kinds of tests and none of the doctors are finding anything wrong, and are thinking I'm crazy, when I'm not, there is something wrong with my swallowing or something and I can't figure it out, I am afraid to eat!
I've had this since Apr/2012.  It's pretty bad, food stuff is random, anything from crisps, rice to peas.  The last few days have been worse with a crisp, now started on other good nostril.  Over night I flushed my nose, still up there, went to sleep, woke up to find it came out and I breathed it up my normally bad nostril while asleep.

ENT say nothing wrong, seen up my nose.  Gave me a bottle to flush.  I ended up with my own solution, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4" baking soda, 1/2" pint of tap water.  I bought some ink cartridge syringes of ebay, some 3mm (outter diameter) carp fishing sillicon (soft) tubing, connected to syringes.  I clean first with surgical spirit the pipes, run thought with water until clear.  Up the offending nostial with pipe until it reaches the valve, swirt.  Repeat 3 to 6 times.  Mostly its complete relief and as the pipe is near problem area I do not often end up with water in my ears, unlike the squirty bottles from ENT.
My little brother has been having this problem for a while, and your tip seems to be helping him!!! Thanx for posting!
I broke my nose in June for the sixth time and everything seemed to be ok. For about three years I have been unable to get Medicare to pay for the supplies to use the $700.00 C-Pap machine they purchased for me. I started tasting what seemed like a rotten taste on occasion. I have had migraines with fever, chills and vomiting for the last two months. Yesterday I noticed some peas I had eaten coming out of my sinuses. It dawned on me that I am regurgitating in my sleep because I don't have my C-Pap in use. This is a very dangerous situation and I have had a recent heart attack. Sleep apnea is very hard on the cardiovascular system. Medicare spends money on equipment and then won't pay for the supplies to use it! Is it any wonder we have so many issues with Medicare? They pay thousands for unneeded electric wheelchairs for many and all you have to say is that you can't make it to the bathroom in time!! I think this food in the nasal and sinus cavities just might be a sleep apnea problem.
I coughed a piece of pretzel into my nasal passage which made me crazy.
A doctor said it would work it's way out and to wait. I tried SinuFlo ReadyRinse Nasal Wash.  It flushed the particles right out of my nose and gave instant relief!  After 24 hours of driving me crazy!  
Good luck!
A portion of just about everything I swallow gets deposited into the opening above my soft palate. I think perhaps the reflex that is supposed to lift the soft pallet when swallowing is defective. It is like I have a continuous cold, along with the food particles I cough up thin strings of mucus and mucus encompassing food particles and even liquids like tea and chocolate.  Like most of the other posts my doctor doesn't have a clue as to why this is happening...much less a solution. I have started to gargle with Listerine before I retire and after I awake which seems to help a little. If nothing else it helps me to cough out more mucus encased stuff.
I still cannot believe there is an answer to this.  I had my tonsillectomy (at 33 yrs old) about a month ago.  I also have GERD (acid reflux and heartburn).  I kept feeling like there is something back there.  I though it was reflux and/or congestion.  But it happens almost immediately after I eat.  For some reason it doesn't happen in the morning.  It is always around lunch or mid afternoon.  I have not called my ENT yet.  But I tried using a saline spray up my nose.  It goes down into my throat and helps somewhat make the feeling better.  But I think I am starting to swell now back there.  Also in the last 2 weeks my tension headaches have awful and with no relief with any kind of medicine (I also get migraines and these headaches aren't my migraines bc my migraine meds aren't working.

But before my tonsillectomy, and almost my entire adult life, whenever I had a cold, virus, sinus infections (lots), the space where the nose meets the throat was always irritated and mucus just sat there hence getting sinus infections.  Does anyone have a solution on how to manage this and why it's happening?
I have had my tonsils removed and this happens all the time, food gets caught up there and it makes it so I cant swallow (even when not eating) there must be a mechanism back there that does this, I go days without food sometimes as I cant get it out, its so depressing.