Food in nasal passage/sinuses?
After coughing on some food, a small piece of chicken went into my nasal passage. I tried getting it out, but it still felt like there was something in there. 2 days later, I have a sinus infection and pain/pressure in one of my sinus cavities. Is it possible that a piece of food made its way into my sinus cavity, or is that not possible? Thanks in advance for any help.
This happens to me a lot. Seriously, the first time this happened, I had a terrible pain in my left sinus and I kept smelling something rotten. After the pain intensified- about 5 days- I pinched my right nostril and blew my nose several times out my left nostril- HARD. A piece of green hotdog shot out- it was disgusting. I inhaled saline solution to rinse and the pain disappeared after a day.
Now, if I eat apple, raw carrots, etc. some will get into my sinuses and I immediately "blow" it out.
I can't find anything about this condition on the internet- surely somebody else must know about this condition?
It happens to me a lot too and has for many years, raw carrots are the worst, but it will happen with pieces of bread, bits of burger, lots of things actually. I have always been able to get the food out by blowing my nose, usually repeatedly and often having to hold one nostril while blowing out of the other. People I know think it is very weird :). It is almost inevitable that I will inhale particles of food if eating while walking or talking, so I try to avoid those things, but it does happen sometimes when I am perfectly still and silent and eating slowly too.

I read someone's note that food went up the back of their nose because their thyroid is inflamed due to Hashimotos which caused problems with swallowing; I have had Graves disease (and radioactive iodine treatment) and later Hashimotos but antibody tests show that the antibodies are not active any more, so I don't think my problem is an inflamed thyroid gland. I've also had a tonsilectomy so it is not the (formerly huge) tonsils getting in the way.
I have been having the food in the nasal cavity problem for a few years now.  mine usually happen because I will start coughing and sneezing when I eat. I have had lettuce and even a chunk of steak get stuck, which took days to get out. Now I am also snoring really bad, and feel like I'm going to choke when I lay down. I don't even have to be asleep to snore! I always feel like there is something stuck in the back of my throat when I lay down. Explain that one! I'm sure both things are due to the same problem , but why?
oh i just wrote a long comment on hashimotos disease and thanked and thanked you cheffie but accidently put ladyprophecy as the person i was i commented about . anyways hope you can still read it..thank you from the bottom of my heart. feel like you saved my life since doctors couldnt figure it out. i hAVE EVERY SYMPTHOM, GOD BLESS YOU...KOOIE
deviated septum in medical terms is what you have  mine is doing this but i have a dental sinus augmentation to repair teeth. the side effects are terrible.

it looks like the only repair is hire a surgeon which i am going to do and then i am going to sue my dentiist for mal practice for  which he pays insurance he should advised against any surgery that was this close to an area that could be so difficult to heal or repair after operated