Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Food is stuck in my throat.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Food is stuck in my throat.

About 5 days ago I was eating dinner and a piece of lettuce went down hard while I was laughing. It feels as though it is stuck back there. I have felt something in my throat ever since. I have no trouble breathing, but I am having a little bit of trouble getting everything down completely. I have tried to cough it up, drinking water, eating large pieces of bread but I still feel it. I have also felt a bit of sinus pressure, but I don't know if it is related. I do not suffer from acid reflux.

Is it possible the food is still stuck or am I just irritated? If the lettuce is still stuck should I just let it disintegrate eventually or am I at risk for infection?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It’s unlikely that the foreign body is still in your throat. Sometimes when this happens, the sensation persists long after the substance has passed through. So, wait for it to subside. But if you develop additional symptoms like breathlessness, cough or difficulty swallowing, consult your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
To all the people who's suffering from feeling of choking, food that stucks in the back of the throat etc. Here's the answer... I've experienced that 2 yrs. ago. I couldn't eat, there's something stuck in the back of my throat, once I put something in my mouth i feel that I'm gonna choke even if i drink water. I went to all different doctors, specialist and went three times to ER in different locations. But still couldn't find anything and they told me that all my tests are ok. The doctor in ER told me that they couldn't help me anymore. So i decided to find out myself through prayer and browsing on the internet. I looked for all the symptoms that i have and found out that it was only Acid Reflux. The next day i went to my regular doctor and told her that I have Acid Reflux because she couldn't find an answer also of my problems. I asked her if she can prescribe me an Acid reducer and she prescribed an OMEPRAZOLE for 4 wks. You should take the pill first thing in the morning with i glass of water and don't eat anything for 1 hour. I took the medicine dedicatedly for 4 wks.and I became absolutely fine. So happy for the result, i can eat, i can drink with no problem. I really thanking our Father in Heaven for that new life. I hope and I pray that this will help. God bless us all.