EAR, NOSE & THROAT
COMMUNITY
Foul Smell in Nose AFTER Sinus Surgery
by ricocsk, Jul 11, 2009
I've been reading a lot of posts about "smells" in the nose, but I haven't seen anything with my particular circumstance.
Three weeks ago, I had sinus surgery. I had thickening in the frontal and maxillary sinuses, and a couple of polyps removed. Recovery was going fine until yesterday when I began to have this smell in my nose. I have a relative who has chronic bad breath. The only way I know to describe the smell is to say that it smells like my aunt's bad breath. It can be very faint, but at times will come on very strong like opening a garbage can and getting an intense wave of bad smelling stuff. I'm also getting a lot more drainage down my throat and have actually had to blow my nose more these last two days than I did the first three weeks after surgery.

I have been using saline spray numerous times a day since my surgery, so I can't figure out why I would start having these problems now.
Member Comments (78)
by Judy246, Jul 12, 2009
Your healing. I had the same surgery and for the longest time, I had a strong smell of rubber. It was like being in Goodyear tire shop. Very annoying, but it's all part of healing. It will take some time and if contact your physician for this type of concern. Good luck.
by ricocsk, Jul 12, 2009
That's funny how different people describe the smell. I never thought about it, but you're right- it is a rubber like smell too. Thanks for the reply. I'm still going to call my doctor tomorrow, but you've made me feel better.
by ricocsk, Jul 12, 2009
By the way, only my right nostril smells today. Weird. Just plain weird.
by friggy, Jul 12, 2009
ricocsk

The smell could possibly come from an infection in the frontal or sphenoid, or even the maxillary, and if so, the toxins will produce that smell.  Saline sprays don't work in the upper sinuses well, because of gravity.  The only thing that really works is a FlipTurn Sinus Flush, but there's no way I'd recommend it this soon after surgery.  The smell will probably go away on its own, keep in touch with your doctor.
by ricocsk, Jul 15, 2009
Update

I called my doctor on Monday and was prescribed 875 mg AMOXICILLIN (a-MOX-i-SIL-in) and CLAVULANATE (KLAV-ue-la-nate) tablets. After the smell had disappeared from my left side, it continued to hang out in the right side for a couple of days. Then, late last night (after my third dose of antibiotics) it disappeared all together.
by friggy, Jul 16, 2009
I mistakenly assumed that you'd already be on antibiotics after surgery.  I also assume your doctor told you to stay on the antibiotics after the smell goes away, finish the full course, or the bacteria can grow back.
by mom_of_living_miracle, Aug 06, 2009
I also had sinus surgery a few weeks ago and have developed a bad smell within my nose. I first noticed it about 4 days ago and it comes in waves. Seems to get stronger if I turn my head. To me it smell like stagnant water and dirty feet. It makes me sick to my stomach. I also use saline nasal spray and also nasal washes. Yesterday I noticed a lot more drainage down the back of my throat and today the smell has gotten a lot worse.

Have you received any relief yet from your "smell"?
by chemimbalance, Jul 20, 2010
I had nasal polyps removed last week and today I noticed a strange smell but only on the right side and a nastyish taste in the back of my throat.  I see my doctor tomorrow to get the splints removed and will ask her what is going on.
by mommyof382, Aug 26, 2010
I'm a 28 year old mom of 3 and 3 weeks ago today I had my tonsils out, a septoplasty in the left side of my nose, and polyps removed from the right side of my nose. I had a horrible recovery from the tonsillectomy and septoplasty but the polyp removal wasn't so bad. About a week ago I started having a terrible rotten smell in the right sidde of my nose. It was so bad that it almost made me sick. Well this morning I had gotten up choking on the mucus draining into my throat. I gently blew my nose (it's still a lil sore on the left side) and a nickle sized booger came out. Gross huh? It was partially dried blood and red blood to. I realized immediately that it was the cause of the terrible smell. I thought I would be sick! So far the smell is gone (for today) and I hope it doesn't return. Any ideas on what this could have been? I thought it may have been some stitches that didn't dissolve or possibly a smal piece ot the packing he had pulled out? I dunno...please any thoughts on this are appreciated. My ENT is out until after September 9th.

Thanks!