Foul Smell in Nose AFTER Sinus Surgery
I've been reading a lot of posts about "smells" in the nose, but I haven't seen anything with my particular circumstance.
Three weeks ago, I had sinus surgery. I had thickening in the frontal and maxillary sinuses, and a couple of polyps removed. Recovery was going fine until yesterday when I began to have this smell in my nose. I have a relative who has chronic bad breath. The only way I know to describe the smell is to say that it smells like my aunt's bad breath. It can be very faint, but at times will come on very strong like opening a garbage can and getting an intense wave of bad smelling stuff. I'm also getting a lot more drainage down my throat and have actually had to blow my nose more these last two days than I did the first three weeks after surgery.

I have been using saline spray numerous times a day since my surgery, so I can't figure out why I would start having these problems now.
Hi kkb99...i read up on this before my surgery in Oct. I asked my doctor about it. He said from his experience these things only cause problems. He removes packing before leaving recovery and does not use disposable stitches or stents...and rarely even uses stents according to him. I had the whole sha bang done...adnoids removed, turbulence reduction, setpum correction and sinuses widened and some additional work done after he got in there to my left sinus ect ect...
Sounds like your problems are exactly what my doctor was talking about. Hopefully anyone else reading this due to an upcoming surgery will look more into these uses and consult with their doctor prior to surgery about the concerns related to it and avoid similar problems and needless discomfort. I just don't understand why some docs still do this when clearly it is not required to put folks through those things....especially days of packing needlessly. Ouch those are uncomfortable. My doc is proof it's being done without all those uncomfortable practices.
I had sinuplasty and deviated septum repaired about 3 weeks ago. Developed horrible, foul smell in my nose about 2 days or so ago. I floss, brush twice and rinse daily so it is not my breath or mouth causing this smell. I was on antiobiotics post-op for about a week, and have been doing sinus flushes about 3 - 5 times a day. I believe I caught a cold intitially about a week ago from my 2 yo that has developed into a sinus infection. Began blowing out large, old blood clots a week ago, and huge pinky size snot with blood covered on other side. Anyway, 2nd f/u ENT visit is this week, but will ask for antiobiotics asap/on Monday.

You are not alone.
Gmiller, i was on antibiotics nonstop by mouth and it did nothing but evenly cause me to break out in hives from over exposure and diarhhea. It was the nasal nebulizer that directly distributed an antibiotic, saline and a sinus expander directly into my sinuses that madr all that stuff finally stop for me. My insurance covered it and i only paid a $20 copay for the machine and then a $20 copay for the meds. I was paying a $ 40 per antibiotic refill copay for antibiotics by mouth and i can't tell you how many of those i paid for among different antibiotics prescribed. Oh the money and discomfort from hives and diarhhea i could have saved myself from...Hope your start feeling better.
I had turbinate reduction and deviated septum corrected on Wed,12-26-12. I really didn't know what to expect. Surgery went well, had zero nausea or vomitting (which has been typical after anasthetic).  The first day was a breeze. I noticed something foreign in my nose, found out from a friend that it was a stent. Followed the Dr's instruction by cleansing each nostril with the NeilMed nasal rinse, 4 to 5's a day. That first friday night was HORRID! I couldn't breathe through my nose, I can't stand to breathe through my mouth, so NO sleep for me. The weekend before my surgery I came down with a sinus infection, took 2 days worth of zpack antibiotics. That friday night / saturday morning I felt as though I must still have the infection. I called my ENT Dr, he assured me everything was fine.  Went the following Monday for 1st follow up.... He removed the stents... THANK THE LORD!!! I felt 100% better after they were removed. About 9 days following the surgery I noticed a mildewish smell in my left nostril... about 3 days ago I noticed the smell in my right nostril too. :/   Totally disgusting!!!!     I went for my 2nd follow up today. The nasty mass of gunk that he pulled out of my left nostril was unreal! I couldn't believe the size & smell... I almost vomitted...  The right side wasn't as bad but just as smelly.   I go back in 10 days for another cleaning. I assume with hope that as I heal the smell will disappear.   It is comforting to find this group and to know that I am not imagining the smell, that it is obviously part of it. :)
I read the posts carefully because I've been dealing with this problem for some time.  I hate to discourage anyone but I had surgery in 1997 and the smell issue has not gone away.  My smell issue is a little different what I've read on this forum...I generally can not smell the odor myself...it is others that detect a strong odor.  I have had some short term successes like the nebulizer, clytomycin, amoxicillan and murpocin ointment but there has alway been a return of the problem.  Gently swabbing the nasal passages with a Q-tip and mupiocin ointment has helped me.  I'm going in to see the ENT soon....I think it is time to throw the kitchen sink at this problem all at one time.  
Sounds like they need to be going back in and correcting or improving on  something that did not get done the first time that needed to be done possibly. Good luck with your Dr's appt and hope you find some answers.
I had my 3rd sinus surgery 2 weeks ago.  He removed large polyps and trimmed down the lining of my sinuses.  I just developed the foul smell.  I am having a lot more discomfort from this surgery.  I'm still having a lot of sinus pressure and pain.  I have had one follow-up visit and he cleaned all the cavities.  I go again in 6 days and can't wait to have them cleaned out again.  Does it just take longer to heal each time you have the surgery done.
There maybe some light at the end of the tunnel. At Monash University here in Melbourne, Australia there is a trial using Botox in the sinus to reduce the inflammation which in turn helps to reduce sinusitis. Here are a couple of links on it...http://www.medicalobserver.com.au/news/botox-trial-for-treatment-of-allergic-rhinitis-and-asthma and http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1699807/Botox-could-help-fight-hay-fever-study. Fingers crossed everyone!!!
Just had my appt. today....ENT's are inclinded to brush it off as it in your head....and they are right but not they way they mean.  The fact that the odor is generally not detected by me but rather people around me, leaves only one issue that I've been able to find:  Atrophic Rhinitis, but i don't have the crusting around the nostrils...so the ENT's are quck to dismiss that possibility.  This problem started about the time I had surgery for a deviated septum in 1997, in 30 minutes, today's ENT flatly stated that it wasn't due to surgery.  I am losing confidence in ENT's, there is a serious knowledge gap here.  
Can you tell me exactly what nebulizer you use (brandname, modelname)?
I just had the septum/sinus surgery on March 5.  When the packing was removed on the 7th, I bled (ran down my throat so fast I was choking.)  Dr. had to repack (fainted from the pain.)  Just came from getting nostrils cleaned  out today.  Can finally breathe through my nose (hope it lasts) - will go back for another cleaning on Monday.  When do the headaches, sinus pressure and pain, aching teeth, sore throat and sore mouth go away?  I am on Amox TR-K CLV (take last dose tomorrow.)  My doctor has not recommended me cleaning out my nostrils in any way.  Used NeilMed sinus rinse before surgery.  Today, after Dr. cleaned nostrils, my nose is burning when I breathe.  If I had known I would be feeling like this, I wonder if I would have consented to surgery.  Will have to wait and see if the final results are worth it.  Can I suck on menthol vapor cough drops to help sore throat?  My doctor didn't really answer any of my questions today.  Any words of encouragement or help will be really appreciated.
Hi everyone. My surgery was April 2, 2013. I had foul stank in nose, which ENT said was from all the gross impacted "putty" consistency mucus build up. Surgery entailed lots of suction, shaving of swollen passages & saline flushing it all out. Surgery was easy to recover from, but still had the smell & on my 1 week post op, doc put me back on an antibiotic to "clean up". However, that infection has never been totally eradicated, and it is now May 23. I decided that the ENT doesn't care, and probably doesn't know what my problem truely is,,,,, however, with much research on web sites like this one,,, I've diagnosed myself with eustation tube dysfunction resulting in ear infections. People. Like yourselves have provided tidbits of info here & there that I have been able to "google" to find a fix myself. Saw a general nurse practitioner about 13 days ago, she was curious as to why no docs have given me a steroid shot, just pills. Since I was suffering with poison ivy at the time, she gave me a big ol' steroid shot & 10 days worth of levoquin, which us a pretty heavey duty antibiotic. About 4-5 days into levoquin, I found out on the web that the stank was probably in my eustation tubes, which might explain why docs "didn't see anything" when they looked up my nose, cause it was hidding in my full ears that are so irritated they are swollen shut & gunk can't drain. I was able to learn all about ETD & how to "milk" antihistamines, steroids, & saline flush into those tubes, called the valsalva exercise,,,, divers do this. And, google the "Friggy Flip" exercise. He has written a while ebook about this stuff that must be a government secret cause NO doc nowhere will educate patients on getting well. But this Friggy guy, his father is an MD & gives lots of free advice in the ebook. When u get as desperate as I have been, you'll try anything. I'm not 100% yet, but I am sooo much closer to being there. Stank is all but totally gone, sinus infection appears to be cured, and I think ears are pretty much clear of infection now, they're just stopped up most of the time, but from what I've researched & found, that just needs a little time to fix itself since they have been irritated so long. Keep your fingers crossed for me & look up all these things I have mentioned. When u find a word it term you don't know, write it down & google that later, this is the only way to figure stuff out, god knows that trained professionals don't want to give up trade secrets. I have the best insurance money can buy, & they don't bok at a thing. I'm afraid some doctors see this as a good way to ensure multiple paid visits, by keeping me coming back. So WRONG!!!! God bless & good luck ya'll!!!
So glad I found this forum.   Just had septoplasty and turbinate reduction with pretty much zero complications or pain.. Doctor didn't even need to pack my nose after surgery.. I did usual nasal saline spray for a couple of weeks, went to the doc 7 days after to get some of the crusting cleaned out, and still it was a normal recovery with no issues.  I was amazed at how strong my sense of smell was after surgery.The good smells are amazing, and the bad ones are pretty bad.  I figured after all the years of not being able to breathe properly that my sense of smell was just getting used to it's normal functioning.    About 16 days after surgery, all of a sudden this horrible smell appeared. I could only describe it as like a cheesy and acidic smell together.. like feet and urine at the same time (yech).. and it wouldn't go away!  This went on for a few days and was followed by me blowing these sundried tomato-like blood clots out of my nose.   Must have been crusting and scabbing from the surgery site way up in my nose.   That's the only thing I can think of.    After blowing those out of my nose, the smell disappeared.  Guess it's just part of the healing process.. I have another post-op appointment with the ENT this week, so I'll ask her and see what she says.  
I had sinus surgery on 3/13/13 to remove polyps, trim turbinates, and repair a deviated septum.  After about two weeks, I developed a really bad odor in my nose.  It was so bad I called it the "death smell."  When I saw my surgeon, he attributed it to "crusting".  I also have had huge boogers of various colors and thicknesses eject from my nose after showering or some times just blowing my nose.  It is disgusting.  This was my second sinus surgery (first was in 2004 when I had stents in my nose).  I continue to visit my surgeon every two weeks to have my nose "evacuated".  I am so tired of this smell.  I use saline, a humidifier and bacitracin.  I will never have sinus surgery again.  The doctor now tells me the smell can last up to six months.  With my luck, it will be six years.  Very discouraging.
So glad to have found this forum. Had sinus surgery on May 29 and started having this horrid mildew smell in my nose on June 10. I thought there was mildew in our AC system. Will follow up with ENT, am currently taking antibiotics for a post op infection and using a Saline Mist to flush my nose several times a day.
So happy to have found this forum.  I had deviated septum repair and balloon dilation sinuplasty (all my sinuses were closed) on June 10th. The first week went pretty well but the second week, I am exhausted, and have that unpleasant smell/taste.  After showering and using NeilMed bottle, I can get thick dark blood snot clots up from my throat.  Pressure in face is back, especially behind eyes.  I tried to take antibiotic after surgery but I have a terrible time taking them and broke out in a rash and became very anxious.  He then prescribed Diflucan with the anitbiotic but that wasn't much better (only did that a day) so I did not take antibiotic.  I'm thinking this is just part of the healing process and not infection.  I hope so!  I have my first appointment since surgery this Thursday, 2 and a half weeks after surgery.  I didn't realize I'd have congestion this long.  So tired of feeling sick after a bad year of sinusitis.  I just want to feel well again!  Getting depressed, but trying to stay hopeful that this surgery, after healing, will help!
Linda
So happy to have found this forum.  I had deviated septum repair and balloon dilation sinuplasty (all my sinuses were closed) on June 10th. The first week went pretty well but the second week, I am exhausted, and have that unpleasant smell/taste.  After showering and using NeilMed bottle, I can get thick dark blood snot clots up from my throat.  Pressure in face is back, especially behind eyes.  I tried to take antibiotic after surgery but I have a terrible time taking them and broke out in a rash and became very anxious.  He then prescribed Diflucan with the anitbiotic but that wasn't much better (only did that a day) so I did not take antibiotic. I do take Medi-Herb Echinacea Premium and Andrographis Complex to fight infection.  I'm thinking this is just part of the healing process and not infection.  I hope so!  I have my first appointment since surgery this Thursday, 2 and a half weeks after surgery.  I didn't realize I'd have congestion this long, and now the head pressure I struggled with all winter is coming back.  So tired of feeling sick after a bad year of sinusitis.  I just want to feel well again!  Getting depressed, but trying to stay hopeful that this surgery, after healing, will help!
Linda
*
I've not had any surgery.. however was told often of bad breath- have had right-sinus "problems"/pain: face, headaches, teethaches,etc. Also an r-eye problem that have lasted now about 3 years. have gone from one doctor/specialist to the next. Eye doctor at UCIrvine finally ordered a cat scan of eye and sinus. Shown to be totally blocked and things in it. Contacted pcp again, have referral for ENT in October! (geez) Pcp did put me on antibiotic for 10 days. Now, about twice a week I get big amount of thick, green clumps of stuff out of nose and/or back of throat. The smell and taste is so disgusting, can't even describe it. The stuff looks like clumps of thick and rotten spinach and sometimes hardened pieces. It is just SO weird. This forum is extremely interesting, thank you all for sharing.  Still not sure of any answers, but will press on.  Will get that bottle m-thingy/ will look it up.  I hope that all the green stuff occasionally means something is improving, but I haven't got a clue of course. Don't have the pain(s) I had before- but the past two days I've had headache again and my eye is bothering me more then it had. The eye specialist said I had to go see the ENT, he thought this "mucocele" was pressing on my eye.  None of these specialist seem to communicate with eachother much, and none of the doctors seem to be in a hurry for a solution to make one better. I think they just want to either get their salary and get "done" with their expected patient load for the day, go home and not think or care any further. VERY few physicians thing, practice and diagnose "out of the box" and feel that it is good enough to practice medicine according to what the textbooks dictates /and in so doing only care about having their rear end covered from liability /as long as they follow "accepted" protocols.. Never mind if that solves the problem or not... Sad but true. I work in the industry as an administrator, and even I don't know how to push my doctors I have to go to further then they do go in order to properly treat. Again, thank you all for posting and sharing.. At least I know I am not the only one. Does anybody else have this problem without having had any surgery and is it of interest if I share my further progress/Doctor prescribes/visits. and self management? Let me know?  Oh, I have one doctor (my boss) Medical Director, and he has given me some ADP- it is a nutriceutical of concentrated oregano oil. 1 tablet two or three times a day (depending) it is an anti-inflammation and adds to antibiotic too. It seems to help.
Had sinoplasy and polyps removed 3 weeks ago, recovery after surgery was unpleasent but ok considering. Had nose vacuumed 10 days after surgery lots of dark blood clots and mucus, felt good afterwards. Went back to work 13 days after surgery seemed ok, but on night 15 had terrible sneezing and brown mucus come out, pain in nose, thought it was an infection. Went back to ENT and he said all is ok. Now week 3 have developed "The Smell" to me it's wet dog or rotting garbage. I'm not due to go back to ENT for another month, and from reading this post I think it's normal and hoping it wont last too long. Have to say was not told about it pre-op, dissapointed.
I never thought boogers would fascinate me...but since my sinus surgery 2 weeks ago I have things far worse than "Men in Black" aliens. They just keep coming every time I use the sinus douche. I am now using it 6 times a day and there just seems an unending supply of boogers. The cat scan showed that all my sinuses were completely full of gunk...so this is coming out. I can breathe properly for the first time in years but have a fairly severe headache....talking to others who have had the same done, it will still be some weeks before things return to normal...
I has Sinus surgery about 10 days back.  I had my first check about 3 days back and my next is in another 4 days.  The doc removed one of the 2 stents and said he will remove the 2nd at the next checkup.  He also warned me that it might come out on its own in between  -- which is what happened.  I have been doing the Nasal irrigation with NetiPot 3 to 4 times a day and that seems to have helped a lot.  I have been very careful and have avoided blowing my nose for the first 1 week, however much i wanted to.  Today, shortly after my nasal irrigation, I gently blew my nose and out came I think the Stent and some gunk with that.  I am so relieved.  For the last 3 days, my nose has been real smelly - hard to describe the smell.  It is so bad my wife decided to sleep in the guest room.  After I blew away the gunk and the stent, I don't think I smell as bad (I will know tonight, I guess).

I think I am already breathing better.  I am still getting headaches once or twice a day but I think this surgery was worth it.  It's too early to tell but I am very optimistic and encouraged by the results to date.  I am also promising myself to do this NetiPot frequently and 'keep my nose clean'.
After three months of the "smell" and multiple visits to the ENT I solved the problem myself by adding Hydrogen Peroxide to the NetiPot saline solution.  I did a 1 oz Hydrogen Peroxide to 8 oz of distilled water ratio and after two days at twice a day the smell was gone for good. It stings a little while the solution is in the nose but the discomfort was mild compared to the smell.   A person should NOT increase the mixture ratio as it will severely burn the inside of the nose.  Finally I can breath clearly and there's no foul odor!
You need to get to your doctor immediately!! It is so easy to retain an infection in your nasal passages because they are so tight. You have already waited way too long.
This is like two years later apparently from when you posted this but I had surgery two weeks ago, septoplasty, turbinate reduction, and polyectomy. I just started having a wet dog smell as well and im scared it is infection, did you ever end up calling your doc about this?
I had sinus surgery 3 weeks ago... not only have I not bounce back, similar to your experience. I went from having the smell and taste of fried eggs for 4 days 24/7. Notable I have not had any fried eggs nor has anyone else. Weird I thought...  I now have ear wax as a lovely palate pleaser.  Is this normal?  It honestly makes me very sick to my stomach.  I was so looking forward to the relief that sinus ... ugh!
bellboots. You're still recovering. 3 weeks is the start. The smell your experiencing is the infection draining. Well according to ENTs I've spoken to. Continue with the douching. If you have antibiotics make sure you taken them. This will pass.
hello
hello
I thought this site and this topic was a joke because I finally found people going through the same issues we should take this to twitter or instagram lol but on a serious note I got the sinus surgery and polyps removed at te same time in 2004 and immediately (excuse my spelling by the way) my girlfriend I noticed at the beach type smell like 3 weeks after surgery then the smell over time changed into a smell of like the back of your *** smell so i had appointments with my ent doctor that did the surgery for a couple of years he put me on the anitiboitics that didn't work did the food and allergy shots that helped a little but i visited my primary doctor and he told me that when they do the surgery they basically open everything up so what you are smelling is the inside of your stomach we did every test i can think of im perfectly fine but this problem has effected my social life ,family relationships, even job workplace relationships ,the best advice and can tell you is my primary doctor told me things in the air could get in your nose and make it worst so flushes are cool but they don't help with the other problem the other problem could be bad breath because if your nose is next to your mouth bad breath could come through your nose too so make sure you keep teeth clean and free of tooth decay that works!!! but my newest smell i noticed i have is a old people smell which lets me know that everything is normal and i don't have any infections its just that everybodys insides all smell the same its just that with us are nose is open and our smell can be notice to others but don't feel bad when i use to go to the ENT office i could smell other people smells that i had because the scent would be all through the office or even when they set beside me but i know mentally that this thing can where you down but i did read somewhere that overtime the turbinate tube enlarges again which kinda puts your nose back to normal like everybody that dosent have the surgey yeaaaaa!lol so don't commit suicide are give up on life (because this problem i had made me think about it at times) because it will get better and just remember we are the first era of people to actual get the surgey so in 2 to 7 years the medical community could come up with a solutution but we have to spread the word and make sure we tell doctors about this so they can study this and come up with a more preventive surgery or even a solution to this problem peace! REMEMBER TRUST GOD HE GOT YOUR BACK WITH ISSUSE DONT WORRY ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE SAY ABOUT YOU JUST LIVE AND ENJOY YOUR LIFE AND PURSE SUCCESS
ALSO THE FEET SMELL EVERYONE IS TALKIN BOUT THAT IS NORMAL RIGHT AFTER SURGEY
I GET THE MILDEW SMELL OFF AND ON AS WELL
I had FESS, septoplasty and adenoidectony 18 days ago and on day 15 started experiencing this disgusting smell and taste. Im relieved to have found this post as it does seen like it's part of the healing process. I am flushing 3 times a day with Neilmed and finding it helps for a short while. Finding that I'm flushing out a lot of old dark blood and in the past few days have woken up in the morning with a sore head and sinus pain in my cheeks (pain in my cheeks was never a problem for me before-only my forehead). I'm wondering if I've got an infection and if I should be taking antibiotics? My post op is not for another 3 weeks so unsure whether to speak to my ENT before then?
I had Endioscopic sinus surgery about 3 weeks ago.  Last week I threw up small blobs of blood/tissue- which may be the dissolvable packing they put up there.  This week there is still a feeling that I have more stuck at the back of my throat, and I have waves of headaches and stiff neck.  
I called my doctor and he recommended ibroprofen and painkillers as I may have picked up a bug... Today I have a unpleasant smell coming from my nose... Any one have similar symptoms and can advise?
I want to know how long after surgery, you should continue to have nasal issues !!! I was told by ENT to expect issues for a long time. How long is long ? LOL

I had transphenoidal surgery 7 months ago. Every month for the last 5 months ive had a massive evacuation of the deepest green semi solid mass from my left nostril. It feels fantastic for a couple of days then starts to build up again. About 5 days before im actually able to get it to come out again i get a horrid smell and taste. Then Out it comes, im good again for the next month.

How many months do i have to put up with this ?
I had a septoplasty 17 days ago and I have the foul odor off and on as well. it's associated with the dried blood and massive snot that's stuck in the sinuses. eventually it will come out. just keep using the nasal spray hourly if needed. some of the dried bloody snot boogers can be massive so prepare yourself...there's videos on youtube of patients getting cleaned out after a septoplasty. watch one of videos and you will see what's causing the smell.
I had turbinate reduction and adenoidectomy surgery about 16 weeks ago.  I did very well with the surgery, almost no pain, no packing to wear home (thank goodness) and when I was checked out by my ENT 2 weeks after surgery everything looked good.  My congestion was starting to clear up recently, except at night.
Then this week, while sitting at work, I kept noticing a faint funny smell.  I thought it was something in the office.  I only really noticed it at work, but then today it was so strong I was literally crawling around under my desk, trying to track it down.  Then I went outside for a bit for work, and could still smell it, growing stronger.  Gross!  I had just started using Nasonex at the recommendation of the allergist, and wondered if that was it.  As soon as I was back inside, I looked it up, found this forum, and realized it's a side effect of the surgery.  I REALLY wish the ENT, who has been great otherwise, would have mentioned this as a possibility, so I wouldn't have been so freaked out.
The sinus rinse seems to be helping (I too had a lovely thing come out this evening) but the relief from the smell is pretty short lived, and not to be even grosser, but if you have an easy gag reflex, prepare yourself for the chance you might throw up a little.  I think I'm going to call in to the office tomorrow and ask, even though now I'm seeing this is normal, but I'm really hoping it is short lived, and that no one else can smell it!  No one else at work seemed to know what I was talking about as I was crawling around sniffling, so hopefully they don't.  

I just had rhinoplasty a few months back and I had the same problem too. I douche my nose after my doctor said it was ok to do so and SO MUCH gunk came out. I no longer have the smell since then!
Wonderful site. Had nosal polyps surgery too on 19th January and have gone through the smell issues you have all mentioned. My biggest challenge though , now is that my upper lip is hurting  alot because it was opened during the surgery. My eyes also keep tearing. The eye specialist has checked them and attributes this to the wound still recovering. Any wisdom out there?
Just want to post a follow up - I went to see my ENT Dr. last night, after I called regarding the smell they suggested I come in to get checked out.  When I had gone for my 2 week post op exam, there had been some scabbing in my right nostril that had been stubborn and the doctor hadn't wanted to irritate it then and cause bleeding, expecting it to eventually come out.  Unfortunately it did not, and created a road block on that side, backing everything up behind it - hence the smell.  He removed it (super gross) and it was a huge difference right away.
I still occasionally get a faint whiff, but there's probably still some tissue there that needs a few more sinus rinses to clean out.  It is a huge improvement though.

I have been suffering with similar symptoms to yourself for the last 4years.

do you by any chance use any medication for your problems?
This would have to be the weirdest and grossest forum on the net! But, reassuring, (that so many people have the same problem), but it has also increased my concern a bit too! My smell started 10 days after my op- also transphenoidal surgery- for a pituitary tumour. My understanding was the ENT surgeon went into the sinuses and cut out a piece of the sphenoid bone, the tumour was removed, then put the bone back in place, and packed it with a dissolving packing "material", (like dissolvable stitches), while the bone reattached. Until now, I've just assumed the smell/taste was just the packing was breaking down. I'm now 2 months post-op, and the smell keeps recurring. At my post-op consult with the ENT, he said the smell was "normal" and it would take "a while" to go away... I wonder how long is a while? LucyEvony, at the time, your question  in this forum was posted 7 months after your operation! 8 months has now passed. Did it eventually go away? Hope it has, (for your sake- and mine), and for everybody else in this forum.
Hi Lucy,

I have had the exact same symptoms as you have described from last year!
Has it got better for you?
I had my sinus surgery in December 2014 and now 8 months on I have the 'stuff' coming out of my nose nearly every month!
Bad smell, gets worse, then out it comes!
Reading this forum has helped but my symptoms have continued 8 months on!
I put it down to years and years of 'stuff' building up and making its way out!

Thanks!
Zara in the UK
I had surgery almost 3 months ago. I started noticing the smell about 1 month ago. It smelled like stinky feet but only on the right side. I felt there was something in there. I have been using saline sprays and rinses since my surgery. Today after blowing my nose I continued to rub my nostrils and loiw and behold it finally came loose. It wouldn't blow out though, it was kinda stuck in the back of my nose. At one point I sucked in and swallowed and it fell out to the back of my throat. I spit it out onto tissues and it was huge! Green and slimy butbrubbery. About the size of a half dollar and pretty thick too!  I am happy to say the smell is finally gone!

+15 days since septoplasty and polyp removal.

Yesterday and I have by splints removed and the smell / taste has hit me like a train.

I had previously got a strange taste / smell over the last few days but only briefly. It's now strong, constant and ablsotely vial and discusting. I had to leave work this morning because I kept thinking I was going to be sick.

ITS HORREDEOUS.

I cannot believe this is not communicated on operation information packs.

I have been using the spray 3 times a day but can people advise whether I can use the a wash after 2 weeks of surgery?

I too had surgery 12/10/15 This past week I have been smelling the "stinky socks" odor.  Makes me gag it's so awful in the mornings.  Going to the doctor this week!
I've been on this page on and off since the smell started 2-3 weeks ago.
I had my Sinuplasty and turbinate excision on Dec 23 2015. I didn't notice the smell until about a week or so after.. It has been a nightmare since then. I can agree with everyone about the description of the stench. It is deadly!
Started with slimy greenish discharge, which is "normal" apparently. Then a few days later the smell started to get WORSE (didn't think that was possibly). Then the congestion, pressure in the ears, and fever followed. Called the ENT and was told to wait it out. Couldn't wait a few days for work reasons so I went to my family doc. Steroid shot and antibiotics got rid of the fever and I can honestly say that it helped with the heavy mucous. It's dried up a lot since then but I still have the pressure in my ears, congestion, and the nasty smell when I bend forward/lay down.
All this while doing Neil Med. That thing has been extremely helpful btw.
So frustrated at this point about the stink. For something so "simple" and "non major" this has  been way more complicated than my c section.
On day 15 I went to my ENT for a follow up appointment and she had to vacumn my nose out to get the crusts and blood clots out. Just to give you fair warning this procedure is really uncomfortable and kinda painful that I was literally balling my eyes out, but what she vacuumed out was a 2 foot long blood clot from each nostril. It is so imperative that you have your ENT vacumn you out to avoid the "wet dog" smell and to prevent bacteria and infections from growing. After this appointment I still smell a faint "wet dog" smell because i think she left the dissolvable frontal sinus stents in, but I'm not spitting up a lot of thick blood clots anymore and I can breathe a lot better. On day 17, I'm starting to spit up a bit of yellow mucus mixed with a little blood and clear mucus but I'm not sure if the yellow mucus is normal?
I started noticing the foul smell inside my nose months before having sinus surgery.  I had taken 4 antibiotics in less than a year; each time I would feel better but then my symptoms would return.  When 3 doctors recommended FESS I reluctantly agreed.  The ENT I chose almost immediately suspected my problem was a fungal mycetoma in the nostril which can't be cured with antibiotics.  After the operation I continued to have the foul smell and bad headaches while recuperating, but after my first follow-up visit, I could breath through my nose again and the headaches were almost gone.  By the third week & lots of sinus rinses, the smell was gone and so were the headaches.  After my second follow-up (way easier than the first one) breathing is completely clear and foul smell is a distant memory.  Though I still have the old sinus drip, which is annoying, it is clear.  My advice would be to get at least 2-3 opinions before choosing your ENT.  I thank God for helping me make the right decision.