Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Foul Smell in Nose AFTER Sinus Surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Foul Smell in Nose AFTER Sinus Surgery

I've been reading a lot of posts about "smells" in the nose, but I haven't seen anything with my particular circumstance.
Three weeks ago, I had sinus surgery. I had thickening in the frontal and maxillary sinuses, and a couple of polyps removed. Recovery was going fine until yesterday when I began to have this smell in my nose. I have a relative who has chronic bad breath. The only way I know to describe the smell is to say that it smells like my aunt's bad breath. It can be very faint, but at times will come on very strong like opening a garbage can and getting an intense wave of bad smelling stuff. I'm also getting a lot more drainage down my throat and have actually had to blow my nose more these last two days than I did the first three weeks after surgery.

I have been using saline spray numerous times a day since my surgery, so I can't figure out why I would start having these problems now.
Your healing. I had the same surgery and for the longest time, I had a strong smell of rubber. It was like being in Goodyear tire shop. Very annoying, but it's all part of healing. It will take some time and if contact your physician for this type of concern. Good luck.
That's funny how different people describe the smell. I never thought about it, but you're right- it is a rubber like smell too. Thanks for the reply. I'm still going to call my doctor tomorrow, but you've made me feel better.
By the way, only my right nostril smells today. Weird. Just plain weird.
ricocsk

The smell could possibly come from an infection in the frontal or sphenoid, or even the maxillary, and if so, the toxins will produce that smell.  Saline sprays don't work in the upper sinuses well, because of gravity.  The only thing that really works is a FlipTurn Sinus Flush, but there's no way I'd recommend it this soon after surgery.  The smell will probably go away on its own, keep in touch with your doctor.
Update

I called my doctor on Monday and was prescribed 875 mg AMOXICILLIN (a-MOX-i-SIL-in) and CLAVULANATE (KLAV-ue-la-nate) tablets. After the smell had disappeared from my left side, it continued to hang out in the right side for a couple of days. Then, late last night (after my third dose of antibiotics) it disappeared all together.
I mistakenly assumed that you'd already be on antibiotics after surgery.  I also assume your doctor told you to stay on the antibiotics after the smell goes away, finish the full course, or the bacteria can grow back.
I also had sinus surgery a few weeks ago and have developed a bad smell within my nose. I first noticed it about 4 days ago and it comes in waves. Seems to get stronger if I turn my head. To me it smell like stagnant water and dirty feet. It makes me sick to my stomach. I also use saline nasal spray and also nasal washes. Yesterday I noticed a lot more drainage down the back of my throat and today the smell has gotten a lot worse.

Have you received any relief yet from your "smell"?
I had nasal polyps removed last week and today I noticed a strange smell but only on the right side and a nastyish taste in the back of my throat.  I see my doctor tomorrow to get the splints removed and will ask her what is going on.
I'm a 28 year old mom of 3 and 3 weeks ago today I had my tonsils out, a septoplasty in the left side of my nose, and polyps removed from the right side of my nose. I had a horrible recovery from the tonsillectomy and septoplasty but the polyp removal wasn't so bad. About a week ago I started having a terrible rotten smell in the right sidde of my nose. It was so bad that it almost made me sick. Well this morning I had gotten up choking on the mucus draining into my throat. I gently blew my nose (it's still a lil sore on the left side) and a nickle sized booger came out. Gross huh? It was partially dried blood and red blood to. I realized immediately that it was the cause of the terrible smell. I thought I would be sick! So far the smell is gone (for today) and I hope it doesn't return. Any ideas on what this could have been? I thought it may have been some stitches that didn't dissolve or possibly a smal piece ot the packing he had pulled out? I dunno...please any thoughts on this are appreciated. My ENT is out until after September 9th.

Thanks!
I had a second sinus surgery in November of 2008. It is now October of 2010, and I still have a bad smell in my nose (left side).  I have problems with sinus pressure and pressure behind my left eye as well.  Fortunately, no one else can smell it, but it does smell horrible; ammonia is the closest I can come to describing  the smell.

My ENT told me he thought it would go away in time, but how long is too long? I'm just worried about an infection spreading to the brain.  Should I be worried?  I was furloughed from my job in February, and although I have insurance, money is tight, and I don't want to spend the money on a visit if I don't need to.  I also just posted on an allergy forum, as I've recently had issues with severe dizziness. Any thoughts?
Hello All. It's funny we were never told about the smell during the pre operating discussion with the doc. I also have the smell of stinky feet. It gets so bad my wife has to turn her head when we lay in bed. I thought i was a odd ball but it looks like it's part of the post surgery blues. I flush 5 times a day to keep the bacteria away. Just the other day i was flushing frequently when i decided to blow my nose and like mommyof382 i blew out a finger nail sized nugget. Sure felt good but the smell is still there. Hopefully someone out there has the miracle cure.
Smell in nose after sinus surgery is common, it is part of healing, make sure you keep rinsing.  I use a neilmed bottle and flush three times daily.  It has been 9 days after the surgery and it (the smell) started the 5th day.  It went away for a bit but now it is back with a vengange.  My doctor told me to keep rinsing, keep carefully blowing my nose, finish the anti biotics.  What could be happening here is that in my case after 5 years of suffering all "old stuff" is coming out with the rinses.  Also if you keep smelling the odor make sure to go see your dentist, remember that some of the roots of your teeth or even dead roots could cause it too....
I had sinus surgery three weeks ago, tomorrow is my second post op visit.  I have been having sinus pressure in my forehead and it makes my top of my head hurt too and temples , for the past week or so almost and i had that smell it comes and goes after i neti pot to irrigate my sinus.  i recently started getting out more green and old blood colored boogers too the last couple days ,  I was on amox for the first 7 days after my surgery and i finished it.  but cold has been going around my house hold for the past three weeks too.  I hope i didnt catch infection. I really do not want to go back on anti biotic i hope it will be okay if i have to though.  I have been on amox like 3 times this year already in the past 3 months.
my sinus surgery i had my deviated septum fixed and lots of polyps dug out.  so any advice given would be highly appreciated on my previous post.  i get so worried.
i had sinus surgey a week ago. no funky smells yet but i have this horrible burning sensation in my right nostril and right side of my throat anytime i eat or drink. it just started a few days ago. what is that from and how do i fix it? i am still on antibiotics and doing the saline rinses 4-5 times a day
Songbird-- I have had your same issues. Its so bad now that i feel terrible everyday i wake up. pressure in my eyes and under them. I tried the flip flush idea and it worked to get some of it out. I have now told my doctor twice about this terrible smell and nothing has been done. I had surgery on 10/29/2010 then another one on 12/16/10/ im sick of feeling this way. ive had blood work done and my white cell count is high but no one seems to look at that like i am. even my pcp is blaming this on my OCD> which i think is CRAZY. im studying to be a nurse so i do some thing is wrong. just the smell which i had once before surgery and i had a HUGE piece of black/green piece come out. and it had the same smell. i dont know what to do anymore. im at lost for words and im spending so much to try to get better.
Since I wrote my post back in October, I have been using the solution of 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt and 1 tsp. Boric Acid along with the distilled water in my Nelmed spray bottle.  The smell would come and go.  Then, just in the last couple of weeks, I developed a sinus infection, so I upped my rinses to two a day.  Lo and behold, about four days into the infection, I blew out what I have come to describe as an alien life-form, green, about 1/4 inch thick, and an inch long.  I have not had the foul smell since.
I'm hoping that was my problem.  I've had no more dizzy spells, but still have the pressure, and am struggling to get over the sinus infection.  Keeping my head elevated at night helps combat associated migranes (migraines), and a heating pad placed directly on the sinus area helped relieve the pressure-related pain.
I had sinus surgery for deviated septum and polyps on 1/12/11.  I just started having a strange "mildew smell" about 18 days after surgery.  I googled it and this discussion came up.  It's been very helpful and I will make sure I ask my doctor about it on my follow up appt tomorrow.
OMG.. I am so glad to have found this forum.  I had sinus surgery several years ago and ever since then have had the occasional musty smell in my sinuses.  When I tried to describe to my ENT (not the one that did my surgery) they look at me like I am nuts....I have been scoped 4 times in the past 8 months and my insurance doesn't cover the scoping..

Songbird, Mommy and Radar...Thank you for letting me know I am not the only one out there that has the alien life forms in me...lol   I get a tickle...way back in the sinuses...and after a period of time...when I finally block one side of nose and sniff in...I get this "chunk" of green hard stuff hitting the back of my throat.  It seems to go in stages.  
I am so incredibly thankful that I found this forum.  I had sinus surgery 11 days ago.  Yesterday I had this incredible pressure on my right side and I just felt that something had to come out.  I did the Neti pot twice in a row and all of the sudden this dark reddish/black clot (looked like a leech) started to come out of the nostril but would not come out without blowing.  I was told I could start to blow gently but to be honest I think I blew a little bit more forecefully than what I'd call gentle.  Anyway, this happened twice yesterday but since then I've had this sharp, relentless pain on that side in my sinuses (cheek and forehead) and around my eye.   It actually woke me up at 2:30 this morning and I haven't gotten back to sleep.  My throat also hurts.  I have a follow up with my ENT the day after tomorrow but does this sound like something I need to call about sooner?  

And PS I have had this horrendous smell also.  It comes and goes but I keep telling my husband it smells like bad plastic.
I had surgery on April 27 and still home recovering, this is the most informative forum I have found.  I have been going back to the Dr's every 4 days so that he can suction out the sinus and I can not begin to tell you what comes out, not human but after I can breath again.  Than after approx 3 days I block up and can't breath through my nose again.  My jaw is in pain from mouth breathing.  I am on antibiotics for 24 days, steroids to reduce swelling, anti nausea medicine and pain pills.  I found this site today because I am starting to get a odd smell, not tire like but almost sweet.  I keep asking my husband what he is cooking. I am also doing the ne;lmed bottle 4-5 times a day but now the stuff coming down the throat instead of through the nose, most times I can get out through my mouth without swallowing this nasty stuff.  Back on Tuesday for another exam, signed out of work for 3 1/2 weeks already.
I just had sinus surgery on april 29th  - polyps and deviated septum.  I now have this foul odor coming out of my left nostril where the polyps were removed.  The odor is driving me crazy!  Glad I found this forum and am not the only one with the foul odor problem.  I use the nelimed nasal rinse twice a day and use a saline spray 2-3 times a day.  I'm hoping that whatever it is that is causing the odor will flush out.  My next ENT dr. appt is in 2 months - should I wait that long or should I call the dr. to get an appt. quicker.  Help!  Thank you.  
I had revision septoplasty and turbinectomy almost four weeks ago, had been healing just fine, but all day I've had a wet dog smell in my nose.  So gross.  Also had a huge dark greenish purple booger come out this morning, which I guess is dried blood and mucus.
I've had full house FESS almost 3 weeks ago now and I've had / having phantom smells too. Mine are different though. I've been smelling baked beans (something I cooked well before the op.) and an ex-girl friends woman aroma but I don't want to smell that because I stopped seeing her because of her 'aroma'. So is it plausible that what we are smelling is in fact old trapped aromas that are surfacing now because our sinuses are clearing out?
BTW, you need to keep up the nasal douching to flush out all the crap (blood, mucus, etc) and it's completely normal to be bringing up large amounts of this.
I had sinus surgery May 20, 2011 and this is now almost Sept.  

About 2 months ago I was out to lunch and started smelling something like malt vinager.  I thought it was what the restaurant was using to clean their tables.  But, that was not the case.

I still have this lingering smell.  It even wakes me up of the mornings, when it is stronger then usual.  I, like some of you, think it smells like malt vinager and ammonia.  It is aweful!!!  

I am just wondering that some of you that posted a while back, do you still have this yucky smell?  If so, what are you doing to help it???  I think that I am going to request another antibotic (antibiotic) myself.  This is SO frustrating!!!  
I decided to Google this topic and found this forum, thread and was amazed to see the replies.  I had a great surgeon perform reconstructive sinus surgery, deviated septum, couldn't breathe well and I even use a cpap, so it was long overdue.  Surgery went great and like Brackstonsmommy also had this surgery in May 2011.  My surgeon told me there could and likely would be a smell while it's healing and for some time afterwards, few months of healing is my understanding.  For those with this problem I can relate, drives me crazy and is indeed frustrating.  First month post surgery was brutal, really large crustings, etc, while flushing.  

I'm no doctor but my surgeon recommended the NielMed nasal flush system.  It comes with a bottle (not the Netty Pot nonsense) and little PH balanced packets, one per fillup and I love it.  I flush about 4 times a day since May and it helps alleviate the smell immediately.  Hope that helps some of you, it did for me.

I have read some say they've lost their smell and taste somewhat, on the contrary I have a keener smell ability from what I used to.  I didn't have any of these polyps or anything just deviated septum and chronic sinusitis.  The surgeon also used the ballon method in my frontal lobe sinus area which expands and crushes the inner tissues to clear it up and reheal it I believe.  I can breathe so much better at night now with or now even without my cpap.

Great thread and glad to see others dealing with the infamous obtrusive smell.  I've seen a lot of nice terms used in this thread like malt-vinegar, rubber, etc, I'll just throw it out there and say it smells like a Tibetian Yak, never smelled one in real life, but imagine it's akin to one, haha.
I went through a sinus surgery about 3 month back. I had bits of my inner flesh trimmed of with laser to help me breath better. However after 4 weeks or so. I too began to experience foul smell coming out of my nose. Sometimes even strong enough for people on train to smell it. It was really bad experience. My doctor asked me to flush my nose with salt water. Out of curiosity, I actually took a flash light and looked into my nostril. There are green stuff,sometimes black, sticking on the flesh in my nostril. sometimes if I sneeze hard enough after flushing my nose, i might get them out. those are the stuff that cause the smell. The more you flush the faster it heals that is what the doctor told me. Until 3 month after the surgery, I flushed out a piece of green stuff out of my right nostril. this time it is about 2 cm long and its hardness is like a small fish bone. Then I used my torchlight to look inside again and found no more of the green stuff anymore. I guess that is when the recovery is fully complete. However i still have my left nostril to deal with.haha hope this helps and recover soon to all of you.
I had sinus surgery including repair of a deviated septum 4 weeks ago, and have also noticed a foul smell.  My recovery has been annoyingly slow and has me thinking that surgery was probably not the right choice.  I still have a tremendous amount of congestion, and every night wake up around 2 am blowing bloody mucus out of my nose.  

I've been using my NeilMed flush bottle several times each day for the past 2 weeks.  While it provides some relief, the lingering odor would not go away.  So last night instead of filling the bottle with water, I poured in some "Alkalol" I bought from CVS.  I used about 2 table spoons and included the pre-mixed NeilMed solution as well.  I used this mixture before going to bed, and then again this morning.  The sensation in my nose with this mixture was different - almost like using Listerine....

Although it's obviously too early to tell for sure, this seemed to at leat depress the odor.  

Has anyone else tried "Alkalol"?  The packaging and website said it's been around for years, but until yesterday I never heard of it.

I'm going to keep using this daily, and just pray that my sinuses keep healing.  This recovery has been so dissapointing....like I said, I'm not sure if this surgery was worth it.....

Best of luck to everyone.
You might want your ENT to check your sinuses for fungus.  I have fungal sinusitis and am often bothered with smell issues and dizziness.  If you turn out to have fungus issues you have to be careful how much you use antibiotics.  The course of action for getting rid of infections changes with fungal sinusitis because you often get a fungus problem and then a secondary bacterial infection.  So your Dr then has to treat both issue simultaneously.
How did you know you had fungal sinus proplems. I have a horrible medicine smell and taste in my left nostral after nasal surgery (day 14) and it is sickening.  I really do beleive it is fungal, because they kept me on antibiotics for  months ended in hospital 3 times with colitis.  Not a Fun Experience.  Any suggesstions to rid the smell.  I also have a Lot of Dizziness.  The Dr.s stated 4 days after surgery that it did not come from anything he did (just that blunt), but indeed it was, antibiotics and could be the conjestion causing extreme vertigo symptoms. HELP!
Had sinus/ turbinate/ cyst in maxillary sinus surgery December 12th, 2011. It is now January 26 2012, and yes, I too have the smell. What the smell is, is the mucous in your sinus. I have a bad infection in the right sinus right now, and that's where the smell is coming from.I'm on Amox/Clav 875 bid ,right now praying the infection goes away soon. I have to say it's the worst sinus infection i've ever had. Really thick disgusting mucous coming out.It's so painful on the outside of my face where the sinus is located. Also, anyone....... be careful using a neti pot. The water must be boiled. There have been many cases of microscopic ameboa's( found in unboiled water) traveling through the sinus into the human brain and killing people. No joke. Neti pot has been recalled in some states because of this. So just remember to boil the water and let it cool down before you use it. I hope this gets better because i'm really sick n tired of being sick n tired. Good luck out there, to to you all. Brigid- Health professional
You're right the smell is most likely caused by a sinus infection which is common after surgery.  All I know is, as a patient, the smell is horrid.  I can't describe it except that if movies had smells...it would either be in horror movies or college frat party movies probably found floating in a pool in the form of a Snickers Bar...but it doesn't smell like one.  I only hope I'm the lone person who smells my disgusting odor, not to mention the fact that's all I smell or taste.  It would be great if anyone would thinks they want to make the big bucks (and they are large) as an ENT must go through a sinus surgery.  The only reason I say that is because my recovery has been slow and extremely difficult and I'd love to see my ENT in the same boat, complaining about the same problems as me, which at this point are overwhelming.
i had notice the foul smell after a month prior to my surgery. though it only last for 2 weeks. i just follow my medication religiously and nasal rinsing once a day. its been 3 months after my surgery and the foul smell that i had went away.. just sharing
I know the disgusting fowl smell is so disgusting it makes me very ill, I just want to throw up, it comes and goes and just pisses me off cause I can't stand bad smells anyway. I am glad that I've read these posts, maybe there is help. I tend to think it smells like death, disgusting!!!! Aurgh, can't stand it! I read your post and I feel your pain, I had extremly bad sinus infections bf my first two surgeries, I was so sick, that it felt like something foreign was taking over my body like a creepy black invasion, and it was griping and biting, I would get so sick I could'n't get up for days at a time, my whole body was in such physical pain it was just disgusting, and was always taking antibotics for almost a year and a half, month after month after month. Just weird, freaked me out, now I still have sinus probs but not like I did, still have the disgusting fowl smell every now and then, but I had that bf the surgery, I rinse with mouth rinse alot and rinse 3 to 5 times a day, it's a whole nother j.o.b. for maintence.
I had rhinoplasty and septoplasty 8 weeks ago and my right nostril seems clogged so I pull the side to breathe better and then I smell something funky.  The whole reason I had the septoplasty was to breathe better, kinda frustrated.  I am still swollen hoping perhaps I am still recovering and this will fix itself.  I hate using a flush, hoping maybe a foreign object will emmerse soon and I will have relief.
I also have the smell, but at least I can breath but yeah the smell is very unpleasant.  Every time I breath in their it is.
I had sinus surgery Aug 6th.  After a week I started smelling a  lot of mucous and I was waking up with horrible breath. I went to my two week follow up. The doctor cleaned me out and pushed a huge solid goober down the back of my throat, because she couldn't pull it out.  I was put on 4grams of Augmentin a day and told to keep rinsing. I constantly rinsed my nose with the neilmed bottle and globs of green would come out for about a week. I would still wake up every morning with bad breath and could smell mucous all the time for 5 weeks. After reading all the articles I rinsed each nostril with three full bottles each. Lots of little stuff came out each time. I went to bed and could feel the drain, so I blew my nose and more stuff came out. This morning was bad breath, but no so bad. I rinsed each nostril with a full bottle. I went out for a run and before I started, I felt something loose in a nostril. I gently blew and a bigger than cherry size goober (gray and black came out). I hope that was the cause of the smell and bad breath. I think it could have been the biodegradable packing that was stuck in the nose. Rinsing is the key, with the neilmed bottle, distilled water and saline packs. I should have rinsed each nostril 3-5 times a day instead of once.
I had sinus surgery on 10/17/12. The doctor fixed my deviated septum, removed a large polyp from one maxillary sinus, drained the other maxillary sinus, made the openings larger to both, removed sinus polyps near my eyes, and reduced the size of my inflamed turbinates. The first week I stayed home and slept a lot. The stents made me pretty miserable. It's kind of like having 2 credit cards folded in half and shoved up your nostrils. Couldn't breath through my nose at all. At times I was so miserable that I couldn't sleep. After the stents were removed and the doc cleaned and vacuumed it was much nicer. I've been doing the sinus rinse a few times a day. Around day 10 post op I blew my nose a few times and dark blood that reminded me of barbecue sauce came out the left side. Two big tissues full. That was nice to get out, but then I wondered if I blew too hard. Tonight, 5 days later, the same thing happened on the right side, so I thought I should Google and do some research. So happy to find this forum! Sounds like I can expect a lot more exciting things before I am fully recovered!  :)
I had surgery 3 weeks ago and the smell started a week after.  It was determined my Dr used stints and sutures that were supposed to dissolve.  These had to be cut and pulled out on two Dr visits. I still have a faint smell and the Dr, said these would eventually dissolve.  She cant see them because they could be under tissue.  She has given me more antibiotics and some antibiotic nose spray.  It seems like this could go on for a while...
I had surgery back in Oct and i had the same smell and problem. I had to go back weekly to have my sinuses cleaned out for a few weeks with big black clumps coming out. Finally, after antibiotics and repeated cleaning my doctor put me on a nasal nebulizer twice a day...wow what an improvement immediately. There were three solutions one was of course the saline solution..other was an antibiotic solution and the third was a solution to open my sinuses. Smell went away, discomfort of hard objects forming in my nose stopped...nose bleeds stopped... stuffy nose due to all of that stopped...it all went away. You can actually feel it penetrating all of your sinuses over the 5 minutes it takes for it to dispense in a heavy high pressure midst form you breath in through your nose and while it's like having power sprayers spraying up your nose..it's actually very soothing. I can't believe they don't automatically put folks on this from the get go.
A NASAL NEBULIZER IS THE KEY!!!!!
Here is the three solutons i was prescribed to put in it

Sodium Chloride INH SOL 5ml
Budesonide INH 0.5/2ml Solution (expands your sinuses)
Mupirocin INH (m) 5mg/2.5ml Solution (antibiotic)

I combine all three into the nebulizer cup and do this twice a day. all three come in individual disposable vials so you don't have to worry about contamination as with some other methods. Trust me, this reaches places i never dreamed of compared to using convientional methods given it's forced at a very high pressure sprayer rate. Worth every penny!!! lookup nasal nebulizer on the internet for demonstration videos. Compoundcare.com has a video.
Hope this helps somene.
sorry guys it's
www.compoundcarepharmacy.com
Hi kkb99...i read up on this before my surgery in Oct. I asked my doctor about it. He said from his experience these things only cause problems. He removes packing before leaving recovery and does not use disposable stitches or stents...and rarely even uses stents according to him. I had the whole sha bang done...adnoids removed, turbulence reduction, setpum correction and sinuses widened and some additional work done after he got in there to my left sinus ect ect...
Sounds like your problems are exactly what my doctor was talking about. Hopefully anyone else reading this due to an upcoming surgery will look more into these uses and consult with their doctor prior to surgery about the concerns related to it and avoid similar problems and needless discomfort. I just don't understand why some docs still do this when clearly it is not required to put folks through those things....especially days of packing needlessly. Ouch those are uncomfortable. My doc is proof it's being done without all those uncomfortable practices.
I had sinuplasty and deviated septum repaired about 3 weeks ago. Developed horrible, foul smell in my nose about 2 days or so ago. I floss, brush twice and rinse daily so it is not my breath or mouth causing this smell. I was on antiobiotics post-op for about a week, and have been doing sinus flushes about 3 - 5 times a day. I believe I caught a cold intitially about a week ago from my 2 yo that has developed into a sinus infection. Began blowing out large, old blood clots a week ago, and huge pinky size snot with blood covered on other side. Anyway, 2nd f/u ENT visit is this week, but will ask for antiobiotics asap/on Monday.

You are not alone.
Gmiller, i was on antibiotics nonstop by mouth and it did nothing but evenly cause me to break out in hives from over exposure and diarhhea. It was the nasal nebulizer that directly distributed an antibiotic, saline and a sinus expander directly into my sinuses that madr all that stuff finally stop for me. My insurance covered it and i only paid a $20 copay for the machine and then a $20 copay for the meds. I was paying a $ 40 per antibiotic refill copay for antibiotics by mouth and i can't tell you how many of those i paid for among different antibiotics prescribed. Oh the money and discomfort from hives and diarhhea i could have saved myself from...Hope your start feeling better.
I had turbinate reduction and deviated septum corrected on Wed,12-26-12. I really didn't know what to expect. Surgery went well, had zero nausea or vomitting (which has been typical after anasthetic).  The first day was a breeze. I noticed something foreign in my nose, found out from a friend that it was a stent. Followed the Dr's instruction by cleansing each nostril with the NeilMed nasal rinse, 4 to 5's a day. That first friday night was HORRID! I couldn't breathe through my nose, I can't stand to breathe through my mouth, so NO sleep for me. The weekend before my surgery I came down with a sinus infection, took 2 days worth of zpack antibiotics. That friday night / saturday morning I felt as though I must still have the infection. I called my ENT Dr, he assured me everything was fine.  Went the following Monday for 1st follow up.... He removed the stents... THANK THE LORD!!! I felt 100% better after they were removed. About 9 days following the surgery I noticed a mildewish smell in my left nostril... about 3 days ago I noticed the smell in my right nostril too. :/   Totally disgusting!!!!     I went for my 2nd follow up today. The nasty mass of gunk that he pulled out of my left nostril was unreal! I couldn't believe the size & smell... I almost vomitted...  The right side wasn't as bad but just as smelly.   I go back in 10 days for another cleaning. I assume with hope that as I heal the smell will disappear.   It is comforting to find this group and to know that I am not imagining the smell, that it is obviously part of it. :)
I read the posts carefully because I've been dealing with this problem for some time.  I hate to discourage anyone but I had surgery in 1997 and the smell issue has not gone away.  My smell issue is a little different what I've read on this forum...I generally can not smell the odor myself...it is others that detect a strong odor.  I have had some short term successes like the nebulizer, clytomycin, amoxicillan and murpocin ointment but there has alway been a return of the problem.  Gently swabbing the nasal passages with a Q-tip and mupiocin ointment has helped me.  I'm going in to see the ENT soon....I think it is time to throw the kitchen sink at this problem all at one time.  
Sounds like they need to be going back in and correcting or improving on  something that did not get done the first time that needed to be done possibly. Good luck with your Dr's appt and hope you find some answers.
I had my 3rd sinus surgery 2 weeks ago.  He removed large polyps and trimmed down the lining of my sinuses.  I just developed the foul smell.  I am having a lot more discomfort from this surgery.  I'm still having a lot of sinus pressure and pain.  I have had one follow-up visit and he cleaned all the cavities.  I go again in 6 days and can't wait to have them cleaned out again.  Does it just take longer to heal each time you have the surgery done.
There maybe some light at the end of the tunnel. At Monash University here in Melbourne, Australia there is a trial using Botox in the sinus to reduce the inflammation which in turn helps to reduce sinusitis. Here are a couple of links on it...http://www.medicalobserver.com.au/news/botox-trial-for-treatment-of-allergic-rhinitis-and-asthma and http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1699807/Botox-could-help-fight-hay-fever-study. Fingers crossed everyone!!!
Just had my appt. today....ENT's are inclinded to brush it off as it in your head....and they are right but not they way they mean.  The fact that the odor is generally not detected by me but rather people around me, leaves only one issue that I've been able to find:  Atrophic Rhinitis, but i don't have the crusting around the nostrils...so the ENT's are quck to dismiss that possibility.  This problem started about the time I had surgery for a deviated septum in 1997, in 30 minutes, today's ENT flatly stated that it wasn't due to surgery.  I am losing confidence in ENT's, there is a serious knowledge gap here.  
Can you tell me exactly what nebulizer you use (brandname, modelname)?
I just had the septum/sinus surgery on March 5.  When the packing was removed on the 7th, I bled (ran down my throat so fast I was choking.)  Dr. had to repack (fainted from the pain.)  Just came from getting nostrils cleaned  out today.  Can finally breathe through my nose (hope it lasts) - will go back for another cleaning on Monday.  When do the headaches, sinus pressure and pain, aching teeth, sore throat and sore mouth go away?  I am on Amox TR-K CLV (take last dose tomorrow.)  My doctor has not recommended me cleaning out my nostrils in any way.  Used NeilMed sinus rinse before surgery.  Today, after Dr. cleaned nostrils, my nose is burning when I breathe.  If I had known I would be feeling like this, I wonder if I would have consented to surgery.  Will have to wait and see if the final results are worth it.  Can I suck on menthol vapor cough drops to help sore throat?  My doctor didn't really answer any of my questions today.  Any words of encouragement or help will be really appreciated.
Hi everyone. My surgery was April 2, 2013. I had foul stank in nose, which ENT said was from all the gross impacted "putty" consistency mucus build up. Surgery entailed lots of suction, shaving of swollen passages & saline flushing it all out. Surgery was easy to recover from, but still had the smell & on my 1 week post op, doc put me back on an antibiotic to "clean up". However, that infection has never been totally eradicated, and it is now May 23. I decided that the ENT doesn't care, and probably doesn't know what my problem truely is,,,,, however, with much research on web sites like this one,,, I've diagnosed myself with eustation tube dysfunction resulting in ear infections. People. Like yourselves have provided tidbits of info here & there that I have been able to "google" to find a fix myself. Saw a general nurse practitioner about 13 days ago, she was curious as to why no docs have given me a steroid shot, just pills. Since I was suffering with poison ivy at the time, she gave me a big ol' steroid shot & 10 days worth of levoquin, which us a pretty heavey duty antibiotic. About 4-5 days into levoquin, I found out on the web that the stank was probably in my eustation tubes, which might explain why docs "didn't see anything" when they looked up my nose, cause it was hidding in my full ears that are so irritated they are swollen shut & gunk can't drain. I was able to learn all about ETD & how to "milk" antihistamines, steroids, & saline flush into those tubes, called the valsalva exercise,,,, divers do this. And, google the "Friggy Flip" exercise. He has written a while ebook about this stuff that must be a government secret cause NO doc nowhere will educate patients on getting well. But this Friggy guy, his father is an MD & gives lots of free advice in the ebook. When u get as desperate as I have been, you'll try anything. I'm not 100% yet, but I am sooo much closer to being there. Stank is all but totally gone, sinus infection appears to be cured, and I think ears are pretty much clear of infection now, they're just stopped up most of the time, but from what I've researched & found, that just needs a little time to fix itself since they have been irritated so long. Keep your fingers crossed for me & look up all these things I have mentioned. When u find a word it term you don't know, write it down & google that later, this is the only way to figure stuff out, god knows that trained professionals don't want to give up trade secrets. I have the best insurance money can buy, & they don't bok at a thing. I'm afraid some doctors see this as a good way to ensure multiple paid visits, by keeping me coming back. So WRONG!!!! God bless & good luck ya'll!!!
So glad I found this forum.   Just had septoplasty and turbinate reduction with pretty much zero complications or pain.. Doctor didn't even need to pack my nose after surgery.. I did usual nasal saline spray for a couple of weeks, went to the doc 7 days after to get some of the crusting cleaned out, and still it was a normal recovery with no issues.  I was amazed at how strong my sense of smell was after surgery.The good smells are amazing, and the bad ones are pretty bad.  I figured after all the years of not being able to breathe properly that my sense of smell was just getting used to it's normal functioning.    About 16 days after surgery, all of a sudden this horrible smell appeared. I could only describe it as like a cheesy and acidic smell together.. like feet and urine at the same time (yech).. and it wouldn't go away!  This went on for a few days and was followed by me blowing these sundried tomato-like blood clots out of my nose.   Must have been crusting and scabbing from the surgery site way up in my nose.   That's the only thing I can think of.    After blowing those out of my nose, the smell disappeared.  Guess it's just part of the healing process.. I have another post-op appointment with the ENT this week, so I'll ask her and see what she says.  
I had sinus surgery on 3/13/13 to remove polyps, trim turbinates, and repair a deviated septum.  After about two weeks, I developed a really bad odor in my nose.  It was so bad I called it the "death smell."  When I saw my surgeon, he attributed it to "crusting".  I also have had huge boogers of various colors and thicknesses eject from my nose after showering or some times just blowing my nose.  It is disgusting.  This was my second sinus surgery (first was in 2004 when I had stents in my nose).  I continue to visit my surgeon every two weeks to have my nose "evacuated".  I am so tired of this smell.  I use saline, a humidifier and bacitracin.  I will never have sinus surgery again.  The doctor now tells me the smell can last up to six months.  With my luck, it will be six years.  Very discouraging.
So glad to have found this forum. Had sinus surgery on May 29 and started having this horrid mildew smell in my nose on June 10. I thought there was mildew in our AC system. Will follow up with ENT, am currently taking antibiotics for a post op infection and using a Saline Mist to flush my nose several times a day.
So happy to have found this forum.  I had deviated septum repair and balloon dilation sinuplasty (all my sinuses were closed) on June 10th. The first week went pretty well but the second week, I am exhausted, and have that unpleasant smell/taste.  After showering and using NeilMed bottle, I can get thick dark blood snot clots up from my throat.  Pressure in face is back, especially behind eyes.  I tried to take antibiotic after surgery but I have a terrible time taking them and broke out in a rash and became very anxious.  He then prescribed Diflucan with the anitbiotic but that wasn't much better (only did that a day) so I did not take antibiotic.  I'm thinking this is just part of the healing process and not infection.  I hope so!  I have my first appointment since surgery this Thursday, 2 and a half weeks after surgery.  I didn't realize I'd have congestion this long.  So tired of feeling sick after a bad year of sinusitis.  I just want to feel well again!  Getting depressed, but trying to stay hopeful that this surgery, after healing, will help!
Linda
So happy to have found this forum.  I had deviated septum repair and balloon dilation sinuplasty (all my sinuses were closed) on June 10th. The first week went pretty well but the second week, I am exhausted, and have that unpleasant smell/taste.  After showering and using NeilMed bottle, I can get thick dark blood snot clots up from my throat.  Pressure in face is back, especially behind eyes.  I tried to take antibiotic after surgery but I have a terrible time taking them and broke out in a rash and became very anxious.  He then prescribed Diflucan with the anitbiotic but that wasn't much better (only did that a day) so I did not take antibiotic. I do take Medi-Herb Echinacea Premium and Andrographis Complex to fight infection.  I'm thinking this is just part of the healing process and not infection.  I hope so!  I have my first appointment since surgery this Thursday, 2 and a half weeks after surgery.  I didn't realize I'd have congestion this long, and now the head pressure I struggled with all winter is coming back.  So tired of feeling sick after a bad year of sinusitis.  I just want to feel well again!  Getting depressed, but trying to stay hopeful that this surgery, after healing, will help!
Linda
*
I've not had any surgery.. however was told often of bad breath- have had right-sinus "problems"/pain: face, headaches, teethaches,etc. Also an r-eye problem that have lasted now about 3 years. have gone from one doctor/specialist to the next. Eye doctor at UCIrvine finally ordered a cat scan of eye and sinus. Shown to be totally blocked and things in it. Contacted pcp again, have referral for ENT in October! (geez) Pcp did put me on antibiotic for 10 days. Now, about twice a week I get big amount of thick, green clumps of stuff out of nose and/or back of throat. The smell and taste is so disgusting, can't even describe it. The stuff looks like clumps of thick and rotten spinach and sometimes hardened pieces. It is just SO weird. This forum is extremely interesting, thank you all for sharing.  Still not sure of any answers, but will press on.  Will get that bottle m-thingy/ will look it up.  I hope that all the green stuff occasionally means something is improving, but I haven't got a clue of course. Don't have the pain(s) I had before- but the past two days I've had headache again and my eye is bothering me more then it had. The eye specialist said I had to go see the ENT, he thought this "mucocele" was pressing on my eye.  None of these specialist seem to communicate with eachother much, and none of the doctors seem to be in a hurry for a solution to make one better. I think they just want to either get their salary and get "done" with their expected patient load for the day, go home and not think or care any further. VERY few physicians thing, practice and diagnose "out of the box" and feel that it is good enough to practice medicine according to what the textbooks dictates /and in so doing only care about having their rear end covered from liability /as long as they follow "accepted" protocols.. Never mind if that solves the problem or not... Sad but true. I work in the industry as an administrator, and even I don't know how to push my doctors I have to go to further then they do go in order to properly treat. Again, thank you all for posting and sharing.. At least I know I am not the only one. Does anybody else have this problem without having had any surgery and is it of interest if I share my further progress/Doctor prescribes/visits. and self management? Let me know?  Oh, I have one doctor (my boss) Medical Director, and he has given me some ADP- it is a nutriceutical of concentrated oregano oil. 1 tablet two or three times a day (depending) it is an anti-inflammation and adds to antibiotic too. It seems to help.
Had sinoplasy and polyps removed 3 weeks ago, recovery after surgery was unpleasent but ok considering. Had nose vacuumed 10 days after surgery lots of dark blood clots and mucus, felt good afterwards. Went back to work 13 days after surgery seemed ok, but on night 15 had terrible sneezing and brown mucus come out, pain in nose, thought it was an infection. Went back to ENT and he said all is ok. Now week 3 have developed "The Smell" to me it's wet dog or rotting garbage. I'm not due to go back to ENT for another month, and from reading this post I think it's normal and hoping it wont last too long. Have to say was not told about it pre-op, dissapointed.
I never thought boogers would fascinate me...but since my sinus surgery 2 weeks ago I have things far worse than "Men in Black" aliens. They just keep coming every time I use the sinus douche. I am now using it 6 times a day and there just seems an unending supply of boogers. The cat scan showed that all my sinuses were completely full of gunk...so this is coming out. I can breathe properly for the first time in years but have a fairly severe headache....talking to others who have had the same done, it will still be some weeks before things return to normal...
I has Sinus surgery about 10 days back.  I had my first check about 3 days back and my next is in another 4 days.  The doc removed one of the 2 stents and said he will remove the 2nd at the next checkup.  He also warned me that it might come out on its own in between  -- which is what happened.  I have been doing the Nasal irrigation with NetiPot 3 to 4 times a day and that seems to have helped a lot.  I have been very careful and have avoided blowing my nose for the first 1 week, however much i wanted to.  Today, shortly after my nasal irrigation, I gently blew my nose and out came I think the Stent and some gunk with that.  I am so relieved.  For the last 3 days, my nose has been real smelly - hard to describe the smell.  It is so bad my wife decided to sleep in the guest room.  After I blew away the gunk and the stent, I don't think I smell as bad (I will know tonight, I guess).

I think I am already breathing better.  I am still getting headaches once or twice a day but I think this surgery was worth it.  It's too early to tell but I am very optimistic and encouraged by the results to date.  I am also promising myself to do this NetiPot frequently and 'keep my nose clean'.
After three months of the "smell" and multiple visits to the ENT I solved the problem myself by adding Hydrogen Peroxide to the NetiPot saline solution.  I did a 1 oz Hydrogen Peroxide to 8 oz of distilled water ratio and after two days at twice a day the smell was gone for good. It stings a little while the solution is in the nose but the discomfort was mild compared to the smell.   A person should NOT increase the mixture ratio as it will severely burn the inside of the nose.  Finally I can breath clearly and there's no foul odor!
You need to get to your doctor immediately!! It is so easy to retain an infection in your nasal passages because they are so tight. You have already waited way too long.
This is like two years later apparently from when you posted this but I had surgery two weeks ago, septoplasty, turbinate reduction, and polyectomy. I just started having a wet dog smell as well and im scared it is infection, did you ever end up calling your doc about this?
I had sinus surgery 3 weeks ago... not only have I not bounce back, similar to your experience. I went from having the smell and taste of fried eggs for 4 days 24/7. Notable I have not had any fried eggs nor has anyone else. Weird I thought...  I now have ear wax as a lovely palate pleaser.  Is this normal?  It honestly makes me very sick to my stomach.  I was so looking forward to the relief that sinus ... ugh!
bellboots. You're still recovering. 3 weeks is the start. The smell your experiencing is the infection draining. Well according to ENTs I've spoken to. Continue with the douching. If you have antibiotics make sure you taken them. This will pass.
hello
hello
I thought this site and this topic was a joke because I finally found people going through the same issues we should take this to twitter or instagram lol but on a serious note I got the sinus surgery and polyps removed at te same time in 2004 and immediately (excuse my spelling by the way) my girlfriend I noticed at the beach type smell like 3 weeks after surgery then the smell over time changed into a smell of like the back of your *** smell so i had appointments with my ent doctor that did the surgery for a couple of years he put me on the anitiboitics that didn't work did the food and allergy shots that helped a little but i visited my primary doctor and he told me that when they do the surgery they basically open everything up so what you are smelling is the inside of your stomach we did every test i can think of im perfectly fine but this problem has effected my social life ,family relationships, even job workplace relationships ,the best advice and can tell you is my primary doctor told me things in the air could get in your nose and make it worst so flushes are cool but they don't help with the other problem the other problem could be bad breath because if your nose is next to your mouth bad breath could come through your nose too so make sure you keep teeth clean and free of tooth decay that works!!! but my newest smell i noticed i have is a old people smell which lets me know that everything is normal and i don't have any infections its just that everybodys insides all smell the same its just that with us are nose is open and our smell can be notice to others but don't feel bad when i use to go to the ENT office i could smell other people smells that i had because the scent would be all through the office or even when they set beside me but i know mentally that this thing can where you down but i did read somewhere that overtime the turbinate tube enlarges again which kinda puts your nose back to normal like everybody that dosent have the surgey yeaaaaa!lol so don't commit suicide are give up on life (because this problem i had made me think about it at times) because it will get better and just remember we are the first era of people to actual get the surgey so in 2 to 7 years the medical community could come up with a solutution but we have to spread the word and make sure we tell doctors about this so they can study this and come up with a more preventive surgery or even a solution to this problem peace! REMEMBER TRUST GOD HE GOT YOUR BACK WITH ISSUSE DONT WORRY ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE SAY ABOUT YOU JUST LIVE AND ENJOY YOUR LIFE AND PURSE SUCCESS
ALSO THE FEET SMELL EVERYONE IS TALKIN BOUT THAT IS NORMAL RIGHT AFTER SURGEY
I GET THE MILDEW SMELL OFF AND ON AS WELL
I had FESS, septoplasty and adenoidectony 18 days ago and on day 15 started experiencing this disgusting smell and taste. Im relieved to have found this post as it does seen like it's part of the healing process. I am flushing 3 times a day with Neilmed and finding it helps for a short while. Finding that I'm flushing out a lot of old dark blood and in the past few days have woken up in the morning with a sore head and sinus pain in my cheeks (pain in my cheeks was never a problem for me before-only my forehead). I'm wondering if I've got an infection and if I should be taking antibiotics? My post op is not for another 3 weeks so unsure whether to speak to my ENT before then?
I had Endioscopic sinus surgery about 3 weeks ago.  Last week I threw up small blobs of blood/tissue- which may be the dissolvable packing they put up there.  This week there is still a feeling that I have more stuck at the back of my throat, and I have waves of headaches and stiff neck.  
I called my doctor and he recommended ibroprofen and painkillers as I may have picked up a bug... Today I have a unpleasant smell coming from my nose... Any one have similar symptoms and can advise?
I want to know how long after surgery, you should continue to have nasal issues !!! I was told by ENT to expect issues for a long time. How long is long ? LOL

I had transphenoidal surgery 7 months ago. Every month for the last 5 months ive had a massive evacuation of the deepest green semi solid mass from my left nostril. It feels fantastic for a couple of days then starts to build up again. About 5 days before im actually able to get it to come out again i get a horrid smell and taste. Then Out it comes, im good again for the next month.

How many months do i have to put up with this ?