Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Fullness in the Ear - has anyone heard of 'Ear Poppers'

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I am from Ireland and have had problems with my ear as far back as I can remember.

For years my right ear has been getting blocked on and off and will clear itself for a few weeks/months - never fully, and then out of nowhere it will be blocked again. Symptoms include;
1.   Fullness in the ear
2.   Crackling noise that sounds like your ear is blocked
3.   Reduced hearing
4.   Constant popping      
5.   Swallowing of fluid down the back of the throat
6.   Tinnitus (comes and goes)
7.   Vertigo (comes and goes)

Since November 07 it has been constantly blocked. I have gone to my ENT specialist and they did hearing tests, pressure tests, allergy testing and they were are all fine. I then went more recently to an allergist and spent the last 5 weeks eating nothing trying to find out what I am allergic too, but nothing has come up. I am constantly popping my ears and two years ago I popped them so much that I ended up with bad vertigo and was in bed for two months. That has cleared up now but I still have a bit if ringing in my ears. My allergist told me that it could be a Eustation tube problem. There is a common occurance, everytime I have a  lot of fluid going down the back of my throat my right ear becomes really blocked. This fluid has been happening regularly since November, on and off before then but they would clear themselves adventully. I have tried steriod sprays, Nasonex and sudafed but nothing has worked. I am at my wits end.

Has anyone tried Ear Poppers, this cant be bought in Ireland as far as I know. Also could anyone recommend a Eustation tube specialist in Ireland?
I am looking to buy some ear poppers as i have problems with my ear blocking up with fluid and i am wondering where i could buy these ear poppers in Ireland, if you can help me it would be a great help!?
We have tried the ear popper i bought it from Axis Medical, might be worth a try, it did help relieve symptoms but it is not a permanent solution, really just depends on what the actual problem is. In our case, it didn't help but might for you. It really gets the air in there that is for sure!!!
I can relate to the frustration with the ENTs. I can't hear they won't hear. Oh well with that off my chest. I have lupus which means any tissue in my body can become inflamed such as an eustation tube, and I suspect that is the root of my problem. The only time in the past year either of my ears opened up, I was on antibiotics and taking large doses (several drops per day) of oregano oil and also mucinex. This oil is expensive and available at some health food stores; I have to put the drops in an empty capsule because the taste is so intense. MY left ear, long considered useless, opened up I felt a trickle in the back of my throat. and I could suddenly hear in that ear for a while. Oregano oil is purported to be a anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti parasite herb. I have not been consistent with taking it and I feel foolish about that. The problem in my right ear began on a plane flight, I heard a crackle and my ear hurt. I had mutiple infections soon after coming off of that plane because I had stopped prednisone ten days prior and my immune system was still compromised. I hope this helps someone. The GP saw a dark red color in my ear (she thought a blood clot) and the eardrum bowed out. Why doesn't someone insert a tube into the eustation tube through the nose or use a tool like the ones they use for stent placement to clear out/ open up the eustation tube? I am so frustrated I could spit. Vallerie in Columbus Ohio
I posted the last post oct 2009. I forgot to say that I too, am considering an ear popper. I have also considered putting my mouth on a vacuum cleaner hose and see if it will suck out any debris in my eustation tube. The only thing stopping me are the words "collapsed eustation tube" because if that is my problem that idea would make things worse. I think there are dead skin cells or dried up ear infection crud blocking my eustation tubes and I really wish some ear surgeon would invent a tiny rotor rooter and go up my eustation tube and clear it out. The ear popper might push any of this theoretical crud into my inner ear and make things potentially worse. But I am so desperate I am considering an ear popper seriously. I will let you know if do. Good luck to all you other frustrated souls who wish a doctor would take you seriously. Valerie
I been having this popping noise for three Weeks it come and go.....my doc keep saying i'm fine but I think it's something wrong i'm truly scared!