Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Gland & jaw pain, earache & headache

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Gland & jaw pain, earache & headache

It has been more than a month since I noticed that my submandibular gland began to swell and slight pain began. I went to the ER and they gave me 10 days of amoxicillen and said that my throat looked slightly red. However, I have taken all of the medication, the redness was gone within a couple of days, but now the pain has worsened, even to the point of causing a burning in my jaw by my ear, as it does if I laugh when I have something sour in my mouth. I also have a continuous ear pain and have a headache all day and night. At night it causes me to wake up and the headache is so bad I feel sick to my stomach. It hurts worse to lay on my right side also. The pain is to the point that I can't even fall asleep without taking something to help knock me out. HELP!!!!!!!  I read that it could be a blockage in my salivary gland due to stones of some sort, but I'm desperate for a more direct opinion. I will lose it if I go to the ER and they tell me I'm losing my mind and to just go home and suffer longer!!!!!!!!!! The pain gets bad enough that it makes me cry at times.
Tags: glands, lockjaw, jaw pain, Pain, earache, Headache, Cluster Headache, burning in jaw by ear
I had similar issues to yours (in 2009) and went through a number of tests to check for
1. sinus issues - I had none
2. Blocked salivary glands -Positive but I already had been suffering from this from years back
3 At least 6 visits to dentist and he finally told me I had nothing wrong with my mouth and to be checked out for trigeminal neuralgia. This was the final confirmed diagnosis from MRI of my brain. This was 3 months after the first pangs of pain began.

I, like you suffered dreadfully but refused to go on medication and I don't know what finally cured me as I had by the time of my recovery had bi-weekly acupuncture sessions and also had begun to take tibetan herbs for severe headaches. My pains were on one side of my face only affecting top and bottom jaw, inside ear burning, outside ear like someone was poking a sharp instrument, headache from temple to the back of my neck and swollen tongue that made any contact with my mouth very painful. I suffered almost every day for 6 months with little relief in that period. I was due to goto a health farm in Brazil and prior to flying (I was dreading the 30+ journey to the destination) I went for a regular clean up to dentist. He found a pin hole in my wisdom tooth that never showed up on x rays before and the pains stopped when he gave me an injection to numb me. We wondered after the event if the wisdom tooth was the cause for me having trigeminal issues which showed up on the  MRI. Or whether it was a coincidence that the pains stopped after the hole was plugged. The tooth filling dropped out some 8 months later and pains started again so we understood finally that it was caused by the slight decay in my wisdom tooth. The tri geminal nerve feeds through to the jaw and teeth.

I sympathise completely with you. I too cried a lot - the  myriad of pains are just intolerable. I hardly slept during this period. Standing under the shower helped. I wish you luck. I hope you can get tested for all the items I mentioned. It was an expensive illness for me. I suggest (if it is tri geminal neuralgia that you go on a complete detox diet as I really felt that congestion in my head had created the issue with me. I believe I have systemic candida and believe that this causes me to create excessive mucus and have always felt like I have congestion/cold in my head. Also see if you can find a really good cranial osteopath. They can pick up cranial issues like MRI scans.

Again, my sympathies go out to you and anyone suffering from tri geminal issues. Good luck. Let me know if I can give you any further info and if this helped.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The swelling could be a salivary gland enlargement, namely the parotid gland or an enlarged lymph node. The duct of the parotid gland can get blocked and this could cause the symptoms with eating. It could further get inflamed causing pain. Please consult a dentist for assessment. He may even ask for blood test and an X ray.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
The exact same thing happened to me.  I had a flu shot and a couple of weeks later, my left side of my neck started hurting, especially when I turned my head.  I was like that for a few days and then my jaw and ear began to hurt and cramp too, so I went to the er.  The doc at the er said I had a swollen lymph node and just couldn't figure out what was causing it so he gave me amoxicillin for 10 days.  After about a week, the pain subsided and during the last couple of days of the meds, it came back with a vengeance.  I went to my doc today and she said that it was a blocked salivary gland and she put me on a different antibiotic and said if it doesn't clear up within a couple of weeks, they would have to check for a stone that needs removed.