Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Going deaf in one Ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Going deaf in one Ear

I am a 45 year old Male turning 46 in May, i have been slowly going deaf in my right Ear for past 15 years or so.
My GP says that he can't see any damage to my Ear Drum.
I have had a hearing test a couple of years ago, and all they could come up with was that my i had some hearing loss .They could not tell me why i have such a high level of hearing loss in one ear, even though there is no damage to the Ear Drum..      
See if DEBROX eardrops will clear up that ear.  or any brand will do and just follow the direction.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi Tropicalitch,

If your unilateral hearing loss is sensorineural, you need an MRI scan with gadolinium contrast to make sure that you don't have an acoustic neuroma (benign tumor of the balance nerve).  This can cause a unilateral "nerve" type hearing loss.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical
advice - the information presented is for patients education only.
Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your
individual case.
i'd like to add to my comment if i may.  i had hearing loss for almost 25 yrs.  people had to repeat everything what they said.  i had MRI and Cat scan and came back good.    the last ENT that i went to said that i had a hole in my left eardrum.  i had a hearing test done and had problem recognizing the words.
my doctor wanted me to wear hearing aid but i insisted that i didn't need one and that i just needed my ears cleaned.  he didn't believe me and decided to do it on my own.  and that's how i ended up using Debrox.  i can hear well and don't have to ask anybody to repeat the words, my vertigo was gone, my sinus problems are gone, no migraines and can breathe thru the nose w/out decongestants.
but yours might be a different case but it doesn't hurt to try.
I use Debrox too, and gosh, I wish it would get rid of MY migraines, stuffy nose, dizziness, and hearing loss!!

However, Debrox is only a liquid to soften your ear wax so it can come out easily. It goes in your outer ear, which has no connection whatsoever with your inner ear or your brain, where migraines and vertigo originate. If all your problems disappeared when you used Debrox, that was just coincidence. (Periods of migraine activity can come and go, and by the way the vast majority of "sinus" headaches are actually migraines, and migraines can also cause dizziness and stuffy nose.)

If Debrox keeps your ears wax-free and thus allows you to hear better, that's great.

Nancy T.
Hi Nancy!

I'm not sure if it was just a coincidence.  i do believe that it was a miracle from God.  my church people at that time were praying for me non stop because when i had that severe vertigo attack in 1995 i fell and hit my head on the concrete floor.  my head was swelling pretty bad and i had to sleep on the chair most of the time bec. of dizziness and vertigo.  that was the advice from the ENT.  

I felt like a broken record here on this forum but this is my testimony and i'd like to share it with everybody.

The left side of my body was paralyzed and that went on for 6 months.  i did use Debrox as a last resort and used it beyond the 4 days limit.  i mean more than a month.  my build up was due to hairspray and for sure hard wax too.  i was in bed most of the time so i had the drops in my ears all that time.  i had to poke it with either safety pin or needle for the drops to absorb because it was just like dried hard glue.    i don't advise anyone to use  needle though.  

I felt it when it opened my sinuses.  it even took care of my allergies.  since 2003 i have not taken any medications for sinus and allergies.  

check eustachian tube online and you'll find out what that small tube can be a culprit when it's blocked.  open up that tube and you'll have the quality of life that you've been missing.  if not, the doctor might be able to help you out.  

check this web site please.........
www.stvincentmedicalcenter.com/ear/disorders/pages/eustachiantubeproblems.aspx
Whatever the reason, I'm glad you are better! Sounds like you went through a really hard time.

Best of luck,
Nancy T.