Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Grape size lump in neck for years

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Grape size lump in neck for years

I have had a grape size lump in my neck for a number of years now. Its on the top right hand side of the neck, under the corner of jaw bone, right in the corner of the neck. I always thought it was a swollen gland and didnt think anything of it until i googled it and now anxiety has set in.

It cant be seen but can be easily felt just by lightly touching the skin. In comparison you cant feel anything on the other side of my throat at all so whatever it is, is definitely larger than the other side. It is moveable slightly but seems to be semi fixed maybe to the muscle running down my neck. It also moves and clicks when I swallow. It is completely painless. I do intend to ask my doc about it when I visit her next week but I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this? Is this the right place for a lymph node or could I just be feeling larger cartilage?

Tags: lumps neck
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It could be a lymph node. But as it moves with swallowing, it could also be a thyroglossal cyst. It is a congenital condition where cyst forms in the thyroglossal duct and it progressively increases in size. Tests done to diagnose this condition are  X ray, ultrasound and CT scan. But a fine needle aspiration biopsy may clinch the diagnosis and therapy is usually with surgery, it calls for complete removal of the swelling. The lump could also be a sebaceous cyst, a lipoma or a thyroid nodule.

You may need to consult your primary care physician who will examine you and initiate appropriate therapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you, after visiting the my GP today they told me they think it is most likely a reactive lymph node which has remained permanently swollen but going for a blood test next week followed by a FNA as the British guidelines on detection of a swollen lymph node over a long term are strict, so hopefully this will rule out anything too serious.

Thank you again for your help.