Ear, Nose & Throat Community
HELP: swollen tonsils & lymph nodes, thick mucous

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I need help in finding out what I have.

I recently just got over the flu and now I'm sick again... and I'm wondering what it may be.  My tonsils are extremely swollen, which causes a little bit of pain when swallowing.  When I wake up, I have thick mucous that I have to cough up and spit out - and sometimes it leads to a little bit of mucous vomiting.  The mucous is either white or dark green when I spit it out in the morning.  There are no white spots or lining on my tonsils and there's no gray lining - it's just really swollen and pink.  My nose is stuffed, even after clearing the mucous out of it with kleenex and some nose blowing.  My nose is not runny, just stuffy.  During the day, I have far less mucous that I have to cough up and my coughs seem lighter and not as forced as when I wake up and try to clear the mucous out.  The lymph nodes in my neck also feel very swollen to the touch.

Any ideas to what this might be and what the best treatment is?

Thank you!
I think I have the same thing!  I don't want to go to the dr. because there is no pus or white spots on my tonsils meaning that the infection is not severe.  Our immune systems are just fighting really hard.  I started getting these symptoms 2 weeks after getting the flu and now it's been 2 weeks with mucous and swollen tonsils.  Grr!
Went to an ENT.  I have a mucous tonsil cyst.  He said it is usually caused by acid reflux condition for  which I was diagnosed about 3 years ago.  I never took my meds, cause I take so many others, figured I didn't need it.  Well, I was very wrong.  Doc said he could remove it, but unless it was bothering me to leave it alone.  It is not cancerous or nor will it every become precancerous.  It can be cause by many things, but he believes in my case, the acid rises into my throat and after time forms a mucous cyst...so I'm now taking my meds and we'll see if it disappears.  Doc said it could take 1 to 2 years to go away...