Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Hard, non-midline, movable neck lump.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hard, non-midline, movable neck lump.

I have often been a perused these forums in search of an understanding of some of the symptoms I have been experiencing for approximately 1.5 yrs. now.  Amongst other things, I have had constant trouble with tonsilloliths, enlarged tonsils, dysphagia, and morning sore throats.  While these symptoms have certainly wreaked havoc on my quality of life, they didn't cause me any long term worries.  However (due to the constant throat aawareness), i have recently discovered a lump in my neck.  I would say it is moderately sized but not huge (maybe .5 inches in diameter) and located deep within my neck as opposed to just underneath the skin.  It is located on the right side of my neck about halfway between my jaw and collar bone.  It feels as if it is attached to the actual underlying throat structure (larynx? ...forgive my ignorance regarding anatomy).  Furthermore, it is completely movable.  I can push it in and out, and it seems to pop back into place when pushed in.  Moreover, it is a rough feeling when it is moved.  Perhaps unrelated, I have noticed that the pulse in my neck is usually visual without any inspection, although I am not sure whether to attribute this symptom simply to my raised awareness f the area.  Anyhoo, I do have an appointment with an ENT, but it isn't for a month, so i wanted to get some feedback.  I won't lie and say that I haven't had the dreaded cancer thoughts, but I am just looking for some reasonable advice regarding the direction I should take this.  My entire throat area has been a problem for me for a long time now and I am becoming fed up.  I should also mention that I was a moderate to heavy user of marijuana for about 4-5 years on and off.  I have since quit.  Thanks for any help!!!
Hello...It sound to me like you are on the right track, by making and appointment to have a Dr. check it. I too found the lump on the right side of my neck and it was movable, I had mentioned to my Dr. 2 yrs. ago...that when he squeezed my shoulders after a rear ender accidnet that I get a chocking sensation when he did that. He said, it was just tight muscles from the accident. About 5 mo. ago the the lump became visable on my neck, and I watied another 2 mo. before going to the Dr. since he had said, it was just tight muscles...I just told him, I have a little lump on my neck that I would like for you to look at....he sent me the same day for blood work, which came back normal, then I went to the hospital for an ultrasound and it showed a goiter, and nodule, so the next day, back to the hospital for a Thyroid uptake scan..and the next day, a fine needle biopsy...There was no cancer found, or inflamation (inflammation) or disease, in my case, though I am on thyroid medication, to keep the goiter from growing,and they will keep a watch on it...none of these test were bad at all...Frankly, I was amazed at how cofortable they were...
So, you hang in there, the Dr. said, when I went back, you have been playing with it, haven't you? Which I had not....so am not sure why he thought that, maybe a reason for me not to. I really encourage you to hang in there, like all of these wonderful, informative people on here, have me...When you see your Dr. let us know what you learn...
Hey thanks Shannon!!!  Yeah I'm quite bad with "playing with it", pushing it in and out, which I'm sure only serves to exacerbate the issue.  I have been suspecting hypothyroid, as i have many of the associated symptoms...  so I have the ENT in a month and an endocrinologist in 2.  I'll post the results and let you know...  Again, thanks.
You are welcome...
Us humans are funny that way, when we find something that seem not quite right, we play with it, Examine it from every angle, try to diagnose it, which isn't a bad thing, if we don't become obcessed with it. I'm trying to remind myself that maybe that is not a good idea, so I just look in the mirror, rarely anymore....Try to keep the fluids going, and eat a healthy diet, get adequate sleep....I say that because I need to remind myself to do the same.
Take care.