Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Hard Mucus coming froom the back of my throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

For a really long time now (months) I have been randomly coughing up hard chunks of what looks like mucus. The back of my throat will start itching and if I try and scratch it I end up scratching off more of the hard mucus. I also couch it up sometimes. It is coming from the part of my throat that is bubbly on both sides, I think they might be my glads, I have tried to identify them using a diagram but Im not sure what they are. Is this something I need to be very concerned about? And are there any suggestions to make it stop?
Tags: mucus
i have similar symptoms of mucus.  can i get answer to the above please
It sounds like you might have tonsil stones.  If you have had many tonsil infections, or strep throat, you can have scar tissue that traps debris (called cryptic tonsils).  If you cough a tonsil stone, it  will be small hard and yellowish, if you break it open it will have a foul odor.  Gargling with warm salt water can help, there are also hydrogen peroxide rinses you can buy in the dental care section.  Also, don't smoke!  Good oral hygiene, with throat gargles will help prevent future tonsil stones.  Drinking lots of water will help too.  
Check with your doctor at your next checkup, it probably isn't much to worry about, but if you have a lot of tonsil infections too your doctor may want to remove your tonsils.
I get these like crazy too.  They seem to be little balls of acid.  From what I have been told it is coming up from my acid reflux.  Sometimes they hurt sometimes they dont.  And sometimes they will just come out on their own and others take really hard coughs. They create the foulest of breath and white film on your tongue that never ends... I have been searching forever how to stop both the breath issue and the white balls... as said before they appear to be hard but can be smushed into a paste looking.  either way they stink like hell.  I have had strep alot but never had my tonsils out.  dont smoke and never have.  i drink 6-10 20 ounce bottles of water a day.  literally.  help!
i have the same isues. ever since i went to jail 5-6 years ago I started getting them. man they are filthy mic nasty! being locked up you dont gey much air, so I'm thinking that it was probably caused by dry air. I still have no clue on how to cure this issue
if they are small white/yellowish lumps (often uneven) and stink like hell when crushed they are tonsil stones.  i had them for 2 years and nothing cured them (don't waste your money on expensive bleach-like mouthwashes).  the only thing that cures these is to have your tonsils removed.  I did and it was the best thing i ever did.  very painful post-op and you will likely be re-admitted with post-op infection like I was (it's very common) but in the months and years after the op you will be very thankful you had them out.  good luck