Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Hard knot in back of throat by tonsil

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hard knot in back of throat by tonsil

About 2 weeks ago I developed a sore throat.  I was at work one night and I drank like 3 cups of hot herbal tea, well I was leaving work and It felt like something was poking the back of my throat and I stuck my finger in the back of my throat to feel it and it felt just like a hard bone. So I waited for a couple days and thought I would wait and see if it went away. Well it didnt so I called my dr. I went in and he felt it, then he had another Dr come in that worked with an oral surgeon. They both seemed to believe it was my wisdom tooth. So from there I went to a oral surgeon and he took a panorex of my mouth. He said it wasnt a tooth. He couldnt even see iton the xray because he said it was in the soft tissue. So he referred to me to an ENT. I cannot get in to see him until April 12th. I still have the hard knot in the back but ive also noticed that my tonsil seems to be bigger than the other one. I have alot of post nasal drip. I wake up every morning with the feeling something is in the back of my throat. My throat is extremely dry in the morning as to where it is really hard for me to even swallow. I have also been diagnosed with Menieres disease and tinnitus. I dont know if all of this is connected or not, but this knot I am afraid it is cancer but its not like a lump, it feels like a hard knot, like a bone. If anyone has ever heard of anything like this or has an idea I would sure appreciate any replies.  Thank you so much!
  • raspy throat (1 replies):
    I HAVE A PROBLEM TALKING BECAUSE OF WHAT i THINK IS MUCU...[more]
  • cough (1 replies):
    every morning my fiancee coughs non smoker been coughing...[more]
  • Mrs (1 replies):
    The is water coming from my left hole of nose do i get ...[more]
  • Pressure around the nose... (1 replies):
    Hi I’m 13 and I’m having a lot of pressure around my sin...[more]
  • ear nose throat (1 replies):
    how can i deal with sticky mucous in throat it is worse ...[more]
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to a sinus infection, a cold or a chronic allergy. It can lead to a post nasal drip and lead to an irritation in the throat. It could be sinusitis, if it is accompanied by nasal stuffiness and facial pain or pressure. Post nasal drip could also be due to allergens. The morning dryness in the throat can also be due to Obstructive Sleep Apnea, which is more common in people who snore. Discuss these options with your consulting doctor.

In the meantime practice good breathing exercises, humidify your room and do steam inhalations.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
What ever happened with the knot in your throat? I have the same thing and I'm freaking out!