Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Hard lump on tonsil

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hard lump on tonsil

It has felt like there is something stuck deep within my tonsil.  I have been to two doctors who said that they think it is a cyst and I was sent to an ENT.  ENT looked at tonsil through my mouth and through nose and said he thought that there was an infection present and gave me antibiotics.  The problem is that I am sure that he didn't even see the area that I was trying to show him as it right around the side of my tonsil under a flap of skin.  If I get a qtip and push the tonsil back I can see a hard white lump under the skin with a part of the lump the colour of a blood blister.  I am not sure if it was originally this colour or has turned this colour from me pressing on it with the qtip.  The lump can not be extracted.  My glands on that side of my neck are also slightly larger than the other side.  Where do I go next, do I wait until all antiobiotics are taken, am nearly half way through course and nothing has changed.  Any advice would be appreciated.
It could be a tonsil stone, only I'm not sure about the blood blister part.  I know I've had sores in my mouth that look like blood blisters from sharp food like pretzles poking it.  So I guess that could be from you poking it.  But I'd continue the antibiotics, and wait and see if the blood blister part goes away. If so, consider  tonsil stones, also known as tonsiliths.
Thanks for help, but I always thought that tonsil stones came out with a bit of prodding.  
I have the same issue as you.  I just started to notice it a couple days ago and thought there was something stuck in my throat.  I can feel it with my finger and it feels hard and when I look at it with a flashlight, it looks white with a red ring around it.  When I swallow, it feels like something sharp is there.  I don't have insurance and don't even have a job so I'm gonna have to wait and see if it gets worse before I even go to the hospital.  And ideas on how to figure out what it is?
It is probably food that has got wedged deep into your tonsil.  You may be able to gently push and remove it. I ended up seeing a specialist who did prescribe strong antibiotics as he said that I had a throat infection and that the lump was nothing sinister.  Although I continued to worry and look at it, I convinced myself that all is okay and just left it alone and eventually the sensation of it being there went away.  You might just need antibiotics because the red ring you describe sounds like you have an infection of some sort.  Good luck.