Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Headache and Rib pain after chemical gas inhalation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I am a 30 yrs old man. I got exposed to toxic chemical fumes for 30min ~ 5 weeks ago. I am having frontal headache since then. The headache is persistent and all the time. I am also having pain on the right rib side in the lower half of the rib. I am also getting mild fever ~99F half of the day. I have my blood work (CBC, CMP and thyroid) done and came ok. my Chest x-ray, abdomen ultrasound, CT of chest, and  CT of head came fine. However I am still having headache 24x7 and frequent right chest/rib pain. Drs are saying that they find nothing to treat but my symptoms are there and persist for 5weeks. Any suggestion for any test, or what could be wrong w/ me would be heartly appreciated? I was very healthy since last 8 years and never had to see any Docs. Thanks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to infections like tuberculosis, which causes an evening rise of temperature, which is low grade. This could also cause pleuritis and chest pain. Your symptoms could also be due to other inflammatory disorders like Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE). In lupus the blood counts (red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets) are low, positive antinuclear antibodies in the blood, increased sedimentation rates and increased C reactive protein. Have yourself evaluated to rule out these conditions.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.