Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Hearing Loss, Ear Pain, Otosclerosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hearing Loss, Ear Pain, Otosclerosis

Anyone ever been told they have hearing loss from Otosclerosis? After a string of Sinus/Ear infections all of a sudden I couldn't hear on the phone in my right ear. Saw 5 ENT MD's. Never getting any real help. 2 Hearing tests confirmed Moderate hearing loss right ear. Antibiotics, steroids, RX nasal sprays didn't restore hearing. Last DX is Otosclerosis (hardening of the middle ear stapes bone causing it not to vibrate to allow sound in the ear). ENT said because he couldn't see anything wrong with the ear on the outside (no ear infection, no fluid, good eardrum etc (although some of those conditions were present with the 1st 3 ENT's I had seen), he says it's Otosclerosis & recommended a Stapedectomy (surgically remove the stapes bone and replace it with a titanium/plastic one). I put that on hold & had Sinus surgery on 4/19 to remove polyps in my nose and open up my cheek sinus that were blocked (1st step toward helping my situation, but not to regain hearing through it). Now I'm back to trying to resolve this ear problem.  I do have pain IN my ear and around it...radiating to my neck and throat.  All the ENT's tell me that there should not be any pain with Otosclerosis, only the feeling of pressure.  It's pain, not pressure. Another ENT said he wouldn't have jumped to saying it's Otosclerosis, but couldn't say without going in surgically to look at the bones in my middle ear. No one can tell me what the pain is from, so I'm doubting this DX. ***** 1. Anyone ever have hearing loss w/ pain after a string of sinus or ear infections?  2. Hearing loss and ear pain occurring after having several chiropractic adjustments (I'm out of ideas, and I do have a bad neck that's been treated by a chiropractor during the time this started)?  3. What about hearing loss cured AFTER having chiropractic adjustments (I've heard of this)?  See my blog at soundofsharon.blogspot.com if you want to hear more (no obligation). This has been a very scary ride. I need help!    
Yes, I was recently dx with otoschlerosis in my right ear.  I lost my hearing about 20 year ago.  Was told then it was a dead nerve, nothing could be done, not even hearing aid.  Could have been caused by infection of the ear or loud noises.  I excepted it and it has not been easy this past 20 years.  Several months ago, i started getting a noise in my left ear; (sounds like an elec. bug zapper machine you use outside your home)  I still have this noise, hard sleeping at night.  Anyway, I went to an ent dr., dx in my right ear as otoschlerosis and he want to operate.  Said I am loosing some hearing in my left ear as well, same dx.  I am seeking a 2nd opionon soon.  Have been researching and found out some things drs. do not tell you.  Surgery wil not restore your hearing to normal levels, period.  A very large % if not all, people with serious cases of oto eventually end up wearing hearing aids.  The positive surgical effects usually dry up after about 7 years and you wil need to have the surgery again or buy hearing aids at that time.  This is certainly scary and I don't know what to do.
I also need help.  Let me know if you have discovered anymore info or did you have the surgery?

ll
To the OP:

The doctor that stated that the only way to determine if you have otoschleroses is through exporatative surgery is correct. I would stay with him. I does not sound like he was in a rush wish is a positive thing.

There are many indicators of otoschlerosis, but nothing definite except for surgery.

For the second post....   your condition sounds a lot worse. You are beyond the "just discovered phase." But there is nothing to be scared of. Ultimatley you will never be clinically deaf.... not with todays technology. I aplologize if you feel that I am trivalizing you concerns. I am not, I am just letting you know that in the worse case scenerio, you will need to be constantly buying batteries to hear. But at least you will be hearing.

You both need good ENTs coupled with a good audiologist.
I know it has been A LONG time since you posted this, I was wondering what came of everything. I was told today that I have otosclerosis, However, the research I have done says nothing about pain. and just asyou said, it starts in my ear down to my neck. I did hearing tests and the whole nine yards, right hear has hearing loss. no mucus, n fluid in ears, nothing in ear canals. This all started about 2 months ago when I had a realyy bad ear infrection, made 2 trips tot eh doctor, got on steroids and anitbiotics, and the the thrid vistit they sent me to the ENT. as they could no longer see fluid or any sign of infection. it still hurts, and I'm not sure if I should accept this DX. if you can, pleas email me if you read this to update me of your condition. judybuentello at gmail. thanks.