Ear, Nose & Throat Community
'Hearing Loss' after Myringotomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

'Hearing Loss' after Myringotomy

I had myringotomy done on both my ears two weeks ago. They were done to release the air pressure in my ears as I had ear blocked for about 11 years. The severity of the ear blocked became quite unbearable for the past one year. Hence, I decided to go ahead with myringotomy.

After the surgery, I was relieved of the ear blocked but realize I have hearing loss. But the strange thing is that the hearing loss is in my hearing myself speak. I could hear others clearly but could not hear my voice clearly when I spoke. My voice sounded muffled. I am able to judge the volumn of my voice when speaking to someone in front of me. However, I could not judge the volumn when speaking during a meeting in a large room.

My ENT was not able to help me as he said he had never come across such a case in his 30 years of profession.

Could someone please tell me what is wrong with my ears?

From: Maxine
Hello!  I know you posted a while ago but maybe you still check this!
I know that when my ear is clogged my voice sound alot louder to me, but it does have that muffled sound.  But every internal sound is louder like heart beat, chewing ect... so I'm thinking that because you had the clogged ears for so long you got used to hearing the louder volume of your own voice.  so now your brain has to adjust to the "normal" hearing now that your ears are unclogged.  Maybe just give it some time and you will adjust and get used to it.  
Best wishes.
I know that sometimes if the tube is in the wrong position or blocked then that can happen. It can also just be a pressure equalizing problem. Be patient, it should settle down or else seek advice from another ENT doctor.

laser hair removal ottawa