Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Hearing issue in one ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hearing issue in one ear

Last November It was discovered I had Atrial Fibrillation. I started taking atenolol. Coicidentally, at the same time I started to hear less well out of my right ear and I started to have vertigo from time to time (Dec-Feb).

Vertigo is now gone, but hearing loss still persists. In January Dr switched me to Metoprolol.

When I get atrial Fibrillation episode blood pressure drop low until I convert....

Could atenolol use and/or Afib relate to hearing issue???   I am 62 and take 15 mg of Lisinopril for high blood pressure...THANKS
I don't know, but you definitely need to talk to your doctors about this.

I can't imagine how medication or heart problems could cause hearing loss in ONE ear.

Have you had a formal hearing test done by an audiologist? Seen an ENT? If not, see one. They might want to have you get an MRI to rule out acoustic neuroma (RARE and benign tumor of the inner ear) if they can't find another cause for the one-sided hearing loss and the vertigo episodes. (Even if the vertigo is now gone, it could be significant, so be sure to mention it.)

Good luck,
Nancy T.