Help! Chronic problem!
Hey all,
I have some problems that have been bothering me for some years now - almost 10.
I have a stuffed sinus, dry nasal passages, massive phlegm in throat (drip down) and I can't get rid of it.
I've tried expectorants (Claritin-D, Mucinex, +more), nasal rinses, nasal sprays (Rhinocort, Astelin, +more), all to no avail.  It doesn't matter where I am (dry, humid, hot, cold) and it's distressing.  The phlegm makes it hard for me to breathe and sleep and I can spit it up endlessly.  Blowing my nose does absolutely nothing and most of the time I can only partially breathe out of one nostril if at all (which nostril alternates).  If I hold my nostrils shut and blow my nose I get air escaping from corner of my eye (always on a certain side).  I also am able to breathe through both my nostrils for about 20 milliseconds before it shuts down again.  HELP!  I am desparate!  I've taken every allergy and sinus medication I can get (Claritin, Zyrtec, Allegra, Sudafed) and am on asthma medication to help but it still doesn't do much.  I'm also recently on acid reflux medication.
Hello;

Was wondering, with so many meds, might you be experiencing rebound sx?

Drink LOTS of fluids. Preferably water. I would ask a Dr. about weaning off some of those meds.

Dr?
Hey Russtoo, thanks for your response.  To clarify, I'm not actually on all of those meds at this point but I have tried all of them in the past, to no avail.  As I am an athlete I do drink lots of fluids - almost always water.  Doesn't seem to help.  When I drink more water I tend to spit out more phlegm but it doesn't ever seem to end...
I feel your pain and your frustration. I have had similar symptoms for 4 years now, following a cold.
Have you ever been given a diagnosis of anything? Have you had an xray or ct scan of the area? Have they given you antibiotics?
Every time I'd go to the doctor they would tell me I had allergies (which I do) but this is severe. This is not just allergies. After doing my own research online, I decided I either had a deviated septum or chronic sinusitis.
I have been on just about every allergy medication they will throw at you and yes, I've been on the medication for asthma as well, which didn't help at all. After an xray, my doctor diagnosed me with chronic sinusitis and put me on antibiotics. Big mistake. My sinus symptoms worsened.
I now believe my sinusitis is fungal, as opposed to bacterial.