Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Help... Odd Symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Help... Odd Symptoms

About 10 days ago I began to have ringing in my right ear accompanied by cold sweats and slight vertigo.  I seen my doctor and she said my ear looked fine, no infection or wax build up at all.  A few day later another strange symptom occurred, it was suddenly very painful to hear common sounds like the water running; the sound of water hitting the shower floor; people talking, ect...  I went back to my doctor and she was stumped because I still had no infection in my ears.  She has sense referred me to a E.N.T. however it will be two weeks before I can see him.  Other symptoms have continued to arise including ringing in my left ear now; a feeling of hearing loss in my right ear; and the most recent is a very painful touch to the right side of the top of my head.  My question is this: Should I be overly concerned and try to find another E.N.T. to meet with sooner than two weeks or would it be best to wait the two weeks for the doctor recommended by my primary?  In addition, any insights you have would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you..
Avatar n tn
I forgot to mention another probably important symptom I also have is in my right ear, all sounds are distorted.  I hear everything at a higher pitch in my right ear as apposed to hearing normal sounds in my left ear.  Thanks again...
You should be seen by an ENT immediately. Call an ENT office, explain that you've had sudden hearing loss/distortion and ringing.

Sudden hearing loss is a medical emergency and should be treated within 24-48 hours if possible. See an ear specialist today!! Don't believe what your GP says.

You will need a hearing test to see what's going on.

Good luck.
Nancy T.