Help with Eustation Tube Dysfunction
Hello.  My fiance has been suffering with eustation tube dysfunction for a little over 6mths. now.  We have tried numerous decongestants and nasal sprays as well as a round of steroids.  His ENT did allergy testing on him, however, he did not have any significant allergies.  Our last resort was to have PE tubes placed.  This only made his symptoms worse and they took them out after a couple of weeks.  Suprisingly after they took the tubes out and his ears were healing, he was symptom free.  When the holes closed up he began with the same symptoms all over again.  He has constant pressure in both ears, a fluid-like feeling (though the doctors say there is no fluid), and a stuffy nose.  He is completely miserable and losing all hope of getting better.  We are at a loss.  He has thought about having the PE tubes put back in and giving it a little longer this time to see if they will help.  We are both scared and upset and have no idea what to do at this point.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Is there any other treatment at all for this disorder??
Thank you so much,
Amy
Yrs. ago, I also went through this terrible problem & ETD is
just the worst thing to dx/treat/fix. My case was unilateral
w/ ear but bilateral w/ nasal prssr-hdprssr. I also went through
several ENT's/Neurotologists scans & tests. Cause can be 1 or
multi-problems. It's a rule out game. Hm-journal, like a sm-
calendar bk is great since it's dated & can go back to see date
of matching events/symptoms. Use abreviations. The ET's are in the back of the throat & connect to middle-ear. I had a tube put in that window & better for 3 wks then turned on me. It
closed up from debrie that can enter canal from outside pull like a straw. Had removed & better. Hole closed got back problem
+ puffy eye w/ worse ear prssr. Yrs. of meds/dr's, I can tell
you just inflammation in throat can close up ear even from
drainage/overlooked fluid/sore throat/windy day stimulates drum.
Get a 'Coronal CT' & get copy for yourself on All tests. Have
Tympanogram ear test (quick plug in ear for 1 min suction). That
will pull un-seen fluid in ear to window. It will show 'Serous
fluid' if a problem, on graph-print if there. We can all get trapped edema from lack of vent/earpop. CT is needed to rule out infection/cysts/polyps/ck air level in maxillary sinus. It
may show nerve compression above ear to ck the inner-ear. Only
the Coronal scan picked up a sm-maxillary cyst causing an upset
to the air balance. ENT said not a biggy. Yrs. later, cyst was
removed by another ENT to 'humor' me. Ear-problem happened less.
Very much less! Later my MD noticed elav. BP so put me on a
diuretic to reduce vascular fluid build up. Pee'd more but no
more squish in ear? I get prssr back if sore throat because
that 1 ET in throat has 'delayed opening' do to the jerks that
waited & dismissed. A Coronal is (stomache dwn w/ nose going in)
& not skull sinus CT w/ nose up & on back. It's so valuable. I
had 3 over 3 yrs & ea showed cyst enlarging. I had copies & that
was my leverage. They can also order an ABR test to see if a
delay in brain telling ear to work right. Do a print & hi-lite
key things & ask ENT nicely to humor him. Don't let yrs. go by.
Muscle/vessel atrophy can happen. No allergies so ck w/ CT.
Boy, do I wish him luck. I think ENT's get in a rut. If ear
locks up too long, ask Dr. for maybe lo-dose Xanax. It will
help pop ear but won't fix. Gd-luck.
HI SOUNDS A BIT LIKE ME.  i HAVE HAD SYMPTOMS SIMILAR FOR YEARS WENT TO 3 DIFFERENT ENT SURGEONS, MRI'S CT CAMERA THE LOT,  TO NO AVAIL FINALLY THEY RITE ME OFF.  THEN CONSULTED NEUORLOGIST PRIVATELY NEED SAID HE COULD SEE ANYTHING AFTER SOME STUPID TESTS WITH COTTON WOOL AND SMALL HAMMER.  PAID FOR NUMEROUS ALTERNATIVE PROCEDURES. BOWEN ACUPUNCTURE CHIRO ETC SOME WORKED FOR SMALL TIME.  mY SYMPTOMS:- FACIAL ACHE, FEEL AS IF NOSE IS BLCOKED JUST BEHIND NOSTRIL AT BOTTOM AND CAN ACUTALLY SUCK STUFF INTO MY MOUTH. EAR FULLNESS SOMETIMES FEEL AS IF STUFF STUCK IN THROAT, WHEN REALLY BAD GET REFLUX.  NOW I HAVE TINGLING AND AND FEET AND SORE NECK (WHERE THIS IS RELATED OR NEW CONIDTION I DON;T KNOW.  wENT FOR ANOTHER MRI ON NECK YESTERDY AND SEE CONSULTANT NEXT TUESDAY,  SO FINGERS CROSSED SOMETHING SHOES UP.  IT GETS YOU SO DOWN, THAT YOU COULD PUT GUN TO YOUR HEAD.  FLARE'S UP FOR NO REASON, THEN SETTLES DOWN AGAIN, DONT WANT TO BOOK HOLIDAYS ETC INCASE YOU ARE ILL,  NOT A GOOD LIFE I AGREE,  SO AT LEAT YOU KNOW THAT THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE GOING THROUGH SIMILAR WITH YOU TAKE CARE
Lauros,
I agree about the gun to the head thing too.  I am in so much pain, and knowing that there are other does make a huge difference because the doctors amke you feel like you are complaining for the fun of it.  I am close to losing my house.  I wish I could work at even the smallest job. I was a nurse making a good living 8 months ago, now I am unemployed and in excruciating pain with a sinus and "ear" infection, despite being on IV antibiotics.  I have a huge amount of clear fluid that was causing me asthma a few days ago, now it has once again inflameed my maxillary sinus and ear, along with the nerve behind my eye.  I know it s a n infection because this is the same way each sinus infection I have had since my second sinus surgery done in October , has started.  It has gone to my ear, and even when I had an excruciating infection in my ear a month ago, they couldn't detect any fluid.  I think that we are living in an archaic period of otolarygology.  The technology and knowledge is not advanced enogh, and so when the doctors dont know what's going on they just make youfeel like you are imaging it  The sinuses are just on the other side of your brain, separated by paper thin bones, and bacteria can and does go through the bone.  The physicians need to take it more seriously.  Every time I get an infection I feel like I have to prove it to them.  Often I am in misery weeks before they can finally see some pus.  It's ridiculous.  I would give anything to be out of my misery.  If anyone wants to email me, feel free anytime.  ***@****
Lauros,
The sinus infection I had amonth ago, I had tingling and numbness in my feet and hands, and face, my neck was stiff, and I had such incredible ear pain that I thought that I would die of the pain itself.  I got IV antibiotics.  No one tested me for bacterial meningitis, but I 'm pretty sure I had it because I was also not mentally clear and couldnt eat for 2 weeks. Please go and try to get IV antibiotics.  Sometimes an infectious diease doctor will put you on IV antibiotics if you explain the symptoms to them, if you feel like its a  infection.  I was always told that I shoudn't worry, because if I ever got meningitis I would have a fever, or the MRI of brain would show.  Well, I found out the the only true test is the lumbar puncture.  So, if your neck is stiff and you think that you have an ear infection or sinus infection, I would recommend seeing a neurologist and ask him about whether he thinks you should have a lumbar puncture
I have had a suctioning type feeling in my ears. I have had tubes in my ears 4 times due to my ENT believing my hearing loss was related to fluid buildup behind the eardrum. Last check showed no fluid but still a moderate to severe hearing loss in both ears. Doctors can't really tell why I continue to get this feeling. All I know is it'll go away for awhile if I plug my nose and blow as hard as I can until my ears pop.

For the person mentioning meningitis, I had meningitis this summer and trust me, you will know when you have it. I thought migraine headaches were the worse head pain you can have....I learned differently this summer. You will barely be able to hold your head up and even a pin dropping will make your head feel like someone continues to roll over it with an army tank. Fever is more common in bacterial meningitis than viral. I had viral and didn't run a fever the whole time I had it. The only way to detect meningitis is an LP and the only time they will run one is to detect an illness that is presenting in a way that meningitis or another disorder only verifiable through LP would.
i have suffered for a long time,as well as my wife,with hearing loss mainly in my left ear.we travelled by air last year and a woman offered me a dramamine tablet.well,to my complete astonishment my ears cleared up and could hear normally for awhile.yesterday i bought more dramamine and took it according to dosage instructions. so far i can hear normally and am planning to keep taking the dramamine.i will also confer with my doctor about it also.i hope this may help others that have eustacion dysfunction.
I have been dealing with the same thing for seven months several doctors only now have I received peace. I am in my second treatment of spraying four different types of solution into my nose and over a period of time it burns away the lining of my synisis allowing or helping my eustation tube to begain to work. It is slow but my ear stays open more often and I am hearing better. I still use the sprays to help move the fluid down my throat.I live in chicago and my doctor is at the Mid West Sinus Center University Head and Neck Associates. Jay M. utton M.D. I am just blessed and happy that my ear is open. I went through all of the above and for a while I though I was going crazy because the doctors said they saw nothing they kept looking for ear infection when in fact it was a sinus problem. I even had a doctor tell me that I needed a hearing aid. I knew then I was in the wrong place I just left out of his office without finishing the conversation.  Call the university and talk with them about this procedure it's painless it just burns away sinus tissue helping the eustations tube to began working. I pray you get better.  Karen
send e mail if you need a shoulder to lean on / ear to bend.   you are not alone. ***@****
this site is exellent.
so glad im not alone. although, my heart goes out to all fellow sufferers, no one truely understands. this has to be the hardest wall you could ever climb.
thought i was going mad,,,constant ear pressure,,, heavy head,,, struggle to swallow,,,stressed to the max. (37 yrs old) and really thinking "am i loosing it"?  
going to have grommets in 2 weeks, referred by ent. £1500 (bupa) hope its not a waist of time and hard earned money. cant wait 3 more mnths for nhs. fed up sniffing hot water and spraying stuff up my nose to no avail. many thanks for web sites like this one. i too pray  all get better soon. perserverence seems to be a large step towards the finding a cure. lee  
leekeel @ hotmail. co. uk      in order to share leave spaces in e mail address
I am currently going through hell with pain. I slept less than 2 hours on and off last night. I have a sensation of bubbles popping in my ears. I actually got into an ENT today who ordered a scan of my sinuses (have that tomorrow afternoon). He said looks like chronic sinusitis and collapsed eustation tubes. He also prescribed 4 days of steroids (which is not covered by my insurance). I feel like I am going crazy!!! My throat hurts, I feel like I am going to have a panic attack from not being able to breathe. I am 30 years old and feel like I am 50! Any info is appreciated.
Have you heard of a devise called the "Ear Popper"? At the push of a button, it delivers a gentle puff of air through the nostriles to painlessly and instantly open blocked eustation tubes. I'm tempted to buy one for airplane trips to avoid the trauma and pain I'm plagued with each time I fly. I suspect most decent doctors will have them soon.
Just search "Ear Popper" on the net.
Bye for now,
Glenn
I am dealing with most of these problems. Basically my left ear feels like it is plugged. I can hear myself talk inside my head. I have fibration if I talk above a whisper. Been to ENT and audiologist. Then referred to Oral Surgeon for possible TMJ. I am also seeing a Chiropractor. Nothing is helping. The Drs say they can find nothing wrong. I have been suffering for 6 months now with no sign of ever getting better. I think my family is so tired of hearing me complain. No one understands unless they have walked in my shoes. Based on an article I read about Autophony the Eustation tube is supposed to stay closed only opening when you swallow. With this problem the ET stays open all the time. Seems like everyone who goes to the Dr is first always assumed to have allergies and put on nasel spray and other allery meds which never offer relief for this problem whatever it is. Would love to find a Dr who says....I know exactly what it is and this will get rid of it for good! Wouldn't that be great?
Eustachian tube (ET) dysfunction is very frustrating, just look at all of the people suffering on this page

Saline nasal rinse (over the counter), prescription nasal steroids are the cornerstone of treatment, since it stops nasal mucous from draining down the back of the throat (post-nasal drip) and swelling up the exit hole of the ET

When chronic, helpful treamtents can include allergy shots, nasal anticholinergics (atrovent), sinus surgery (if a CT scan shows blocked ostia), tympanostomy tubes after myringotomy, and others.

Your ENT can help you sort through which are helpful for you.
I am about four months pregnant right now.  Ever since I became pregnant I have had Eustachian tube dysfunction in my right ear.  It is very annoying since I sing and I hear sounds distorted.  I hope this goes away after I have the baby.  I don't know how it is related to my pregnancy but that is when I started having problems.  
Pregnancy does different things to different people.  Many people have relief of their allergies, but some get worse allergies which leads to more post-nasal drip, and clogs ears to make the sound distorted.

Ask your ob/gyn about nasal steroids, some believe it's ok to use.  Most every one allows their pregnant patients to use nasal saline rinses since it doesn't contain any medication.
Hi everyone

My poor dad has been suffering with this for months, his GP is useless and the ENT dept dont seem to know what to do or even care. This seems to be a common problem going by what i have read here and on other sites

we have been reading up everything we can find and it seems to us like there are 2 main problems people are having, its either;

1 Your Eustachian tubes are blocked and always closed. This (i imagine) would be painful, as if you were on a plane and could not pop your ears to releive pressure (called a Eustachian Tube Disorder or ETD)

or
2 Your Eustachian tubes are stuck open, causing you to hear your own breath  and your voice booming on your head

we are pretty sure now that number 2 is my dads problem, its called a Patchlous Eustachain Tube (or PET) and im amazed that his 5 visits to the ENT didnt dianose this!!

His problem is also worsoned by having a perforated ear drum

we are going to try some drops called Patulend, has anyone tried this?

oh and a little tip if you are serching google for info, tying in Eustation Tube and Eustachian Tube brings up very different results

i sincerly hope that you all find some releif to what im sure is a terrible problem for you all
Hello all, sounds like everyone is miserable here. When I read the problems here it reminds me of my problem. I know exactly what is causing my problem though but took me years to find out, it could be a possibility for yours. Let me tell you my story and symptoms and a few ideas (I am not a doctor though) I had a cold I went on an airplane, my noise and ears got all stuffy and pressurized, same as when going over mountains. That evening I blew my noise in shower and heard a pop in left ear. I woke up next mourning and I felt lightheaded and off balance (no I did not have spinning sensation) I felt like there was a wet fluid sensation in my left ear, my ear would make popping sounds when I played with my Eustachian tube. (Doctors would always look in my ear and say no don’t see any fluid?) Over time the fluid from inner ear would come down Eustachian tube and I would have this fullness sensation in my ear off and on. I would constantly make these throat scratching sucking moves with my throat and mouth to try and suck or get this fluid out but it’s constantly up there and I always do this. The wet fluid sensation I feel in my ear, also irrates and burns somewhat and it seems to be aggravating my throat, and also my upper lung area which also seems to effect my breathing. Sensitive to loud noises, eyes sensitive to light also with vague headaches. My problem also causes memory problems and trouble concentrating, and anxiety. My problem also makes general sinus problems worse cold, allergies etc. Anyhow these are the majority of my symptoms. I went 3 or 4 years like this constant but fluctuating day to day somewhat. All doctors I went to where of no help. I finally find only one that is like night and day with inner ear problems. Anyhow after numerous tests, which did not really point to anything specific, we decided to do exploratory surgery on my left inner ear, and sure enough the doctor found a fractured stapes footplate with inner ear fluid pouring out into the middle ear. So I finally found out what my problem was, he patched it up and all the above symptoms went away. You don’t have to have a traumatic event to have a perilymph fistula you can still have a tear in the round or oval window, and you don’t have to have a fractured stapes footplate to have a leak either. Lucky I don’t have ear infections, because your chance for meningitis and encephalitis increases allot when you have a perilymph fistula. I read that someone above has my symptoms and recently had meningitis as well, that is not good, heck you may have a perilymph fistula. If a person has a off balance sensation, wet fluid sensation in ear, fluid popping sensation in ear and upper Eustachian tube area, along with any other symptoms I have mentioned I would certainly suspect a inner ear leak. The best Doctor I have found so far is DR Black from Portland OR by far. Unfortunately my ear is leaking again, my surgery was successful for 10 years +or-. So I will be having surgery again. Oh another thing you do not have to have hardly any hearing loss to have a perilymph fistula, most Doctors think this goes hand in hand no hearing loss no fistula, they are dead wrong I had a hell of a leak and not much hearing loss if any. (Tell them I said so) Let me know if you have any questions, I know how bad it sucked not knowing what was wrong with me those 3 to 4 years. Good luck everyone!
I am sorry to hear that there are so many people suffering from ETD.  I have always had terrible pain and loss of hearing when flying, but this summer I develped a terrible double ear infection with loss of hearing.  After having the ear drained, I began having crackling, throbbing and eventually shooting pain.  The ENT tested my hearing-it was fine-and said there was no fluid.  We tried Nasonex, which seemed to inflame the problem.Next we tried an ear tube.  It has been two weeks and many of the symptoms have subsided.  However, I still feel some pressure, tininitis, cracing and a little discomfort. So although it is better, it is not normal.  I am petified to fly at this point and have a daughter's wedding across the country.  I can't imagine going through this type of pain while stuck on an airplane. Is this a waiting game to see what happens next?  Any suggestions?
the tympanostomy tube should have equalized the pressure and relieved the pain of eustachian tube dysfunction, unless the pain is on the other ear, opposite the one with the tube in it?

see your ENT before you fly!
Thank you for your response.  I am scheduled for a follow-up appointment on Tuesday.  Are there any pertinent questions to ask him?  I have a constant tickle and clear congeston atthe base of my throat.  Should I be requesting allergy tests?  ...or Cscan of the ear and throat area to rule out other causes?  Why I ask, both my parents had tumors of the brain at my age.
Good luck on Tuesday.

Allergy tests can help see if your issues are related to allergic rhinitis causing post-nasal drip leading to the tickle and base of your throat symptoms.  Medicines like nasonex can help, if you take them for a few weeks before giving up on them

Be sure to tell your doctor about your parents and their brain tumors.
I also have been suffering, never had ear aches or infection before. Same stuff as above as far as the dr. and their 'practice'. Well please let me know how this all works out for you as I need to do something as the pain is just too much. I feel it in my temples and that scares me.
I am almost 8 months pregnant and my ENT said I have ETD.  It is very uncomfortable and painful at times.  I hear my own heart beating.  I would love to be able to contact you.  My e-mail is ***@****.  
Good luck,
Sherie
What does the ENT say you can do about this condition?  See my story below.

Several months ago, I was on this site trying to find help for fullness in my ears, dizziness, autophony (hearing yourself breath and chew from the inside of your head), ringing, etc.  I had already been the route of the family practioner,who sent me to the ENT specialist. After numerous tests and numerous visits and numerous doctors' bills, NOTHING was found and therefore NOTHING was done to give me any relief.  My symptoms are very similar to yours only they got worse and about drove me insane.  After reading many posts on this site, one person answered my pleas for help by simply suggesting a neurologist.  I went there and found I have "atypical migraine" headaches and was prescribed an anti-depressant for this.  While it clears up some of the symptoms (dizziness and some ringing and head noise), it has not addressed the fullness in the ears or autophony.  So I sit and read online until I have diagnosed myself.  I have PET (Patulous Eustachian Tube).  This condition is relentless and has no cure.  NOT good news.  PET means that the Eustachian tube stays open all the time; therefore, creating autophony and allowing all the pressure from the environment in.  Conditions associated with this malady are:  radiation therapy, hormonal therapy, pregnancy, fatigue, stress, weight loss, vertigo and anxiety.  Since I have all of the last 5 symptoms, I'd say my problems stem from PET and by the symptoms you list, I'd say this is something you might look into.  It seems that closure to this tube is maintained by elasticity of its cartilage, muscles and fat surrounding the tube.  If there is a malfunction of any of those, then the "flap" stays open.  The only cures suggested are to reverse any of the conditions mentioned above.  In my case, I lost weight.  In doing so, I lost the fat around my tubes.  It is suggested that I gain back some weight!  Be damned if you do, be damned if you don't!  Good luck in your search for answers.  

Your problem could clear up after your baby is delivered.
Hi...I have been suffering with this for about 7 weeks....I started out with a head cold, then sinus infection (so I thought)...I was on several rounds of antiobiotics which the ENT doctor says killed off everything.  My left eustachian tube has been blocked of and on and when it does pop slightly I feel pain....I have been checked for fluid and they claim is none...could there be residual fluid inside the tube that is not showing up or just massive inflammation in the tube...I do have allergies to dust, dust mites, mold (which is bad), trees, weeds, pollens, histamine, saline, glycerine, cat/dog dander....I have been taking Allegra for years and that would keep me under control....I am seeing the Allergist next week as I have been diagnosed with Allergic Rhinitis.  I am using Rhinocort nasal spray and still taking the Allegra...I was diagnosed with ETD in my left ear and in November 2007 I was sick for three weeks, got better and then got sick again after Christmas...could this all be massive inflammation and have to resolve with time...I also noticed that when I was on Clindamycin...my head felt like it blew up and then I was even more stuffed up and my ETD reacted violently....could this have been an allergic reaction to the drug....I have clear drainage down the back of my throat, lightheaded (due to ETD), a stuffy nose off and on and dry cough bringing up small amounts of clear mucous.  I want to pop my ear so badly and when it manages to slightly....then I feel the drainage down the back of my throat.  I had all the blood work done...including blood culture for viral, bacterial and fungal (although I understand that it could take to find out about fungal as it takes more time to grow)...I am worried as I don't want to be this way for long....Can anyone shed some light?...I have had two myringotomies in the past...one for fluid removal and one for air pressure buildup....my eardrum also burst before the first myringtomy to remove fluid that was there.  Any help would be appreciated?....I just don't know if I should have yet another myringtomy.....the doctor will do it but doesn't know if this will help...I also hear crackling, popping noises in my ears and the right one will open up and stay open, but the left is troublesome.  
I will make this brief.  I have similar symptoms, but only if I fly, open car doors or windows while the car is moving or certain smells, especially chemical smells.  Other symptoms are achy muscles with chills and severe pressure in head that won't relent.

My solution:  Massage works for me EVERY time!  Sometimes it takes a second one to get relief.  I have the therapist work on my sinuses/face, down my eustation tube, and into my shoulder area.  Then they finish the massage to make sure nothing is "blocked".

I hope this helps at least one person!  Massage is worth the try because it's a lot less expensive than tests and surgery, and it's good for you even if it doesn't help the ear problems!
Just wanted to share some wisdom I've found after about 9 years of dealing with that eustation tube closure thing...(sounds of my breathing thru my ears). I've seen ENT's and tried things but nothing ever worked...one told me if I gained 35# it would go away...hahahahah...one said there is nothing I can do about it.  Well, I've always had regular checkups at my dentists over the years and none had noticed that I've had a tooth that has been dying for several years. It finally got painful so after further checking I had a root canal...said I had roots clear into my sinus. Two weeks after the root canal my eustation tube thing went away..........after NINE YEARS of it!!! Just wanted to share my joy in case it helps anyone else out there as you are searching for clues on your journey for this horribly annoying problem...

i went thru all the sufferings too and doctors told me that there's nothing wrong with my ears.  i eventually diagnosed myself and used drops.  now ....my vertigo is gone, no sinus problem and i feel alive!!!
Such a relief to hear others describe what I'm feeling!  My ENT has not helped at all.  My regular Dr. has given me prescription decongestants, Astilin Spray and told me to take Mucinex to thin out the secretions.  She also gave me a steroid shot which made me feel better (but not completely well) almost immediately.  When the effects wore off, I went back in and she prescribed a steroid pack.  It along with all the other meds has helped but still no complete relief for my tinnitis & popping ears.  I guess what i want to know is if it well ever go away.  I've never been sick like this and it is very distressing.  One of the prior posts mentioned Xanax.  My doctor (not the ENT) wrote me a prescription for it and it helped take the edge off.  She only gave me 15 pills and i haven't had to take them all yet.
April 5, 2008, 10:55 AM

A few years ago I start having bad headaches more on the left side, some twitching of the facial muscles around my left eye and cheek, pressure in the left ear, and from time to time unbearable pressure and fuzziness in my head which goes with poor work performance. I can barely make it to bed. My ENT Doctor ordered an MRI of the internal auditory canals and I was diagnosed with a middle ear infection and Eustation tube dysfunction. Levoquin is the antibiotic they prescribed to me and it helped me for few weeks. Over the years I have used it many times but unfortunately the infection comes back shortly after I stop it.

I lost  my quality of good sleep so I start using Lunesta and Elavil at night and I have been on it for one year. The last two medications made me gain some weight,  but the Elavil dries up the mucosa of the nose and helps my symptoms. No antibiotic for a year.

I had pulsatile tinnitus (you hear your own pulse when going to bed) I used a pillow filled with hot sea salt, and the tinnitus disappeared.

I have a feeling that this is a bad tooth growing in the sinus but the dentist and two different oral surgeons are finding nothing wrong. I don’t have any allergies either. I feel an unpleasant odor from the side of my left nostril but again the Doctors find nothing.

Maybe it’s a fungal and bacteria infection combined? CT Scans of head and Maxillary sinuses is negative, MRI of the nose and throat showed no findings. I had a new breech done on the left upper side of my mouth and I think that some of the symptoms move more to my left nose. Now I feel a particular place in my nose that is cold/wet and is runny with clear mucus discharge to the back of my throat.

When I flew on an airplane that made me feel better, interesting how that worked. I had a tube in my ear, it worked for nine months and the infection come back again. I then had the tube changed, didn’t help.

This is a terrible disease that interferes with the quality of my life. It affects my physical activity, my job, family, etc. The ENT specialist is getting tired of me. The second ENT specialist I went to yelled at me, "Go! Go, you are okay!” This visit lasted less than 30 seconds. :(

The taking pills is endless.
Astellin, corticosteroid drops, colloid sylver, grapefruit extract, topical antibiotic, acyclovir, none of these helped they just worsened the situation. I am thinking of trying some form of nasal anti-fungal suppository.

Please share any possible treatment with me.
Also do you know of any possible experts or research?

Thank You!
-Izzy

Finnally, a site that makes some sense.  I too have been suffering from this ETD for two months now, and four doctor visits later no one can tell me what's wrong.  "We don't see fluid in your ear so you must be fine".  HA!  Nevermind the tinnitus, dizzyness, off balance, stuffy head, painful sinus headaches... of which I NEVER suffered from my entire 40 years before!  Just woke up one morning and my left ear was stuffed up, and that was the beginning of this terrible journey for me.  Self diagnosing on the Internet can be exhausting to say the least, and a little scary, and taking all of these drugs, both prescribed and OTC is getting old.  I'm not old enough to carry a pharmacy in my purse just yet!

So I went to see ANOTHER ENT last week and he gave me an Rx for Nasonex and Cipro.  To this day nothing has changed.  I'm either fine one day and feeling that I may finally be over this, and then I'm sadly disappointed the next day when it's back.  The only thing that seems to really help at this point is a steaming pot of hot water which I add a little cider vinigar to and hold a towel over my head, breathing the steam for about 10/15 minutes.  It's only temporary relief but it does help get the sinuses moving.

My follow up with the ENT is next week.  I can tell you I'm really getting tired of being blown off, and I'm hoping he does not do this to me.  I'm hoping that he is willing to dive a little further into what may be causing this.  I don't have allergies, never have, BUT I did have a bad cold on Jan 1, Feb 1, and again during the middle of all of this, about three weeks ago.  I'm thinking that as many times as I've picked up the "crud" this year that I have a lingering infection of some sort sitting either in my head or in my eustation tube.  I just wish someone would confirm or deny this, but looking into my ear with a scope and/or blowing a little air onto my eardrum is not going to dignose anything other than a middle ear infection, which I do not have: no fluid, eardrum is opalesque (as it should be), and all seems fine.  Yeah, if they could only feel what I feel :body aches, tired all the time, no energy, loss of appeteite, head spinning, off balance..., they would stop at nothing to find out what was wrong with them.  Wish me luick next week!  I am a firm believer that a squeeky wheel get the grease!
I have had the same problem most of you are experiencing.  I have went to the doctor 3 times to only find no solution.  I was given a z-pack of antibiotics to clear up the middle ear infection.  ten days came and went and there was NO change.  So, I went back to the doctor.  This time they gave me nasal steroids and told me to go on a decongestant.  Well, it has been 6 days and still no change.  I can still feel the pressure of fluid in my left ear.  it comes and goes, but seems to flare up when I bend down to do anything.  I then am forced to plugging my nose and blowing to relieve the pressure.  When i sleep it is 90% gone, but when i wake up and start moving around it comes back.  When the ear is full i am very irritable, tired, moody, dont want to talk, etc...  It also seems to flare up whenever I am hungry.  This is the worst thing ever.  I was a boxer and now I cant even work out at all.  Someone please help.  
Also, today i went to a medicall massage therepist.  She worked on that area and it seemed like it helped a little, but i really don't think it did.  
Wish everybody the best.  Until you experience this you cant truly understand what we are talking about.  

I also have ETD related mostly to allergies. My biggest problem is overwhelming nausea. Anyone experience this? Also, has anyone tried a short course of oral steroids.

Thanks,
Cindy
I have been suffering from ETD for past 2 1/2 years. I have constant clicking  and popping in my ear. Unfortunately, i only have one ear so i need to protect it as much as i can. With the popping and clicking comes constant ringing. I am tired of it and feel that it will eventually diminish my earing. I am always asking people to repeat. I have been to 2 ENT, and no help. Taken Nasonex, claritin, sudafed but no help. Please advice as to what might help???

I suffer with the same problem - for years my right ear has been getting blocked on and off and will clear itself for a few weeks/months - never fully, and then out of noweher will be blocked again. Since November 07 it has been constantly blocked. I have gone to my ENT specialist and they did hearing tests, pressure tests, allergy testing and are all fine. I then went more recently to an allergist and spent the last 5 weeks eating nothing trying to find out what I am allergic too, but nothing has come up. I am constantly popping my ears and two years ago I popped them so much that I ended up with bad vertigo and was in bed for two months. That has cleared up now but I still have a bit if ringing in my ears. My allergist told me that it could be a Eustation tube problem. I ahve already spent a fortune! There is a common occurance, everytime I havea  lot of fluid going down the back of my throat my right ear becomes really blcoked. This fluid has been happening regularly since Novemebr, on and off before then but they would clear themselves adventully. I have tried steriod sprays, Nasonex and sudafed but nothing has worked. I am at my wits end. I am in Ireland, if anybody can recommend a Eustation tube specialist please let me know.
I went to my family MD a few weeks back to have some wax removed from my left ear that was affecting my hearing. Instead of useing a probe to remove the wax, the nurse used a devise like a large water pic to clear out the wax. A couple of days later my ear started to hurt, and after a few days the pain was radiating into my jaw line. I returned to my MD, who prescribed a course of antibiotics. The pain went away, but I have been left with ETD. I saw a ENT twice, had a CT scan, but the ENT found nothing. Has anyone on this site also developed ETD after having their ear or ears irrigated by one of these water pic type devises?
I would suggest you ask your ENT for a CAT scan.  You may have a type of cyst in your ear.  I've had many of the same symptoms as you, and the problem turned out to be a choleostatoma cyst.  It can cause fullness in your ear, twitching facial muscles, and the sound of your heart beat in your ear.  It can also cause pain and hearing loss.  One common symptom is drainage from the ear, especially with a bad odour to it.  It's worth mentioning to your doctor.  I'm surprised the ENT hasn't looked into that before.
   Hello to all, I just came across this site while looking for help with my tinnitus. I have seen three ENT’s and found that I do have “negative pressure” in my left ear. That is the one that is causing all the problems. Hissing sound, fullness and sometimes pain in the ear it’s self and spreading just below almost to the jaw. I also wear a bite guard for TMJ. Even though the audiologist found the negative pressure in my ear and hearing loss normal for a 52 year old man, ENT told me I have to learn to ignore the hissing sound. I don’t know where to turn next. Sometimes I get bad headaches from all the above and rarely get dizziness.  First ENT I saw told me “your are just getting old”.  I have had several injections of steroids and they do help. I found that flying makes it much worse. In January my girlfriend and I went on vacation and by the time we arrived my left ear was buzzing so loud I couldn’t stand it. The next morning I found a clinic there and their doctor gave me prednisolone which helped for a week. I just don’t know what to do next. I have spent a bundle paying out of pocket for what my insurance doesn’t cover and am no better off that when I started. I have also been treated by acupuncture doctor for sinus but that isn’t helping either.
I have a blocked ET and injured my ear while SCUBA diving last week because I could not equalize the pressure in my right ear. I spit up blood and my nose was bleeding following the dive when I reached the surface. I think my diving career may be over. I also suffer from tinnitus which I have had since 1992. I always thought a very loud explosion I was exposed to during the first Gulf War caused this but now I am not sure. I had many ear aches/infections growing up and now I wonder if my blocked smaller than normal eustation tube is the culprit. I don't really want to have a tube installed but it looks like my options aren't many and I have to try something. ENT doctor seems to minimize this problem and gave me prednisone,nasal steroids, and an antibiotic and thinks that will clear everything up. Since I have noticed this right ear blockage while diving for about 4-5 years I think this is a temporary fix. I was thinking about trying the ear popper. I would pay for this myself if I knew it would work. It seems like the jury is out on it yet and my ENT doctor never even mentioned it. I didn't know about it until reading the posts on this sight. The blockage just seems so tight and I wonder if the ear popper would open my eustation tube long enough to equalize my middle ear and allow the fluid to drain out. i have been thinking about seeking a diving doctor. Anyone else with similar feel free to reply. I hope we all will find relief from this soon.
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site, so please bear with me.
I have had chronic ear infections my whole life, and have already been diagnosed with TMJ. A few mornings I wake up with a "fullness in the ear" everyone keeps talking about, so I used some drops to get rid of ear-wax (I thought that was the problem)
A few days later my ear is infected again, and I have a little bump underneath my ear where I think the ET is.
I am on drops for the infection, but I'm thinking that I have a bigger problem than that. Anyone had a similar experience, and can help me out?
Is there anything I should look out for?
I have suffered from ETD for a year and and half but only was diagnosed last week.  Have had surgery on nose, septoplasty, to straighten septum for I could breathe properpely.  This did not help with the ETD, have had usual nasal sprays, nothing helps.  I am trying a dairy free diet as years ago I went to a homeopath due to my asthma and be put me on a dairy free diet. It really helped my asthma and  I felt really fit.  Dairy food is mucus producing and I hope this will stop the mucus that accumulates in the eustation tubes.  I am only a month down the line but will let you know if its helps.  I will try anything as it is driving me mad.  My family thinks I am nuts as I cannot hear very well out of one ear and keep having to say 'can you say that again as I did not hear!!!!'.  I was going to try an ear popper but the cost of these in the UK is £250 t buy on the internet.  Anyone else use this machine or know where you can buy cheaper in the UK.  I have tried making my own and am using it at the moment but as yet it does not seem to be working. (The basic principal of this machine is easy and should not cost so much to make, it is just a small motor pushing out air and run by a battery, similiar to a pump in a fish tank) Some comments on other sites say that it may take a while for the ear popper to work and as I have had this ETD for so long I will carry on trying.  The Drs have not offered this as a treatment.  
I am having problems with my ears and no one(including the ENT) can figure it out.

I was injured in an explosion in Iraq 2 months ago. I didn't hit my head on anything, but the force of the explosion threw me forward and the sound waves litterally knocked the wind out of me. I wasn't knocked out (I don't think), but when I got up I was dazed..kind of out of it a few minutes. I went to the hospital and was told I suffered a concussion. I had tinnitus(ears ringing) and headaches for a week afterward.

Approx two weeks after the incident...very suddenly....both ears plugged up and I was getting horrendous headaches. Dr (general Physician) thought ear infection(s) and gave me antibiotics. They did not help and ear pain continued to get worse. At the time, my Dr was aware of the blast injury but didn't think the two were related.

After I got home to the US, I suffered significant pain for weeks while I was drugged on Tramadol and they tried everything (Flonase, Claritin, etc.) to drain my ears with no luck. I saw ENT and she said she has never seen as severe case of Eustacian Tube Dysfunction in an adult. I eventually got ear tubes last week after the pain became too much to bear--my eardrums began to perforate(sp?) under the pressure and I was at risk of bursting my eardrums.

The tubes helped...but I still am getting pressure behind the ears (even with the tubes). My ears are leaking, so I know the tubes are working...but I've noticed my hearing has gotten worse with the tubes. I thought they were supossed to improve hearing?

Have you ever heard of a concussion(mTBI) or very loud noise causing such ear problems? There is nothing on the internet that I can find about a concussion/eustachian link--but the pain and pressure are very real.

All I can find for causes on the internet are sinus problems...but I haven't had any allergies or ear infections for years (since I was a kid--20+ yrs). I haven't had any other symptoms of a cold/sinus probs...no runny nose or cough or anything. My Eustachian tubes are still blocked...I am getting zero drainage down my throat.

The military checked my hearing (audiologist) and concluded that "my hearing is normal". It doesn't feel that way is I am having a hard time understanding people when they talk--before the tubes...but worse afterwards for sure. It really is a downer for me...I used to speak out/conversate a lot but I don't know because I feel stupid. I can't my voice volume very well at all and always feel like I am shouting. Then when I lower my voice...I can't hear what I am saying so it is extremely hard to articulate.

So, I guess my question is...is there any research of a link between head injuries and Eustahian tube problems?

I've also started to get some other symptoms: headaches, cracking/popping with jaw movement and occasional dizziness. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Nate
I have been suffering from tinitus for some years now(too many jet engines and nearby rifle shots) about six months ago I started to hear a noise in my right ear like a "Electrical transformer" hum,
I have been significently deaf in the left ear for many years gbut now find I have only about 35% my right one,I have also developed a strange noise  when I swallow, flex my jaw or touch my finger into my ear that sounds like the "sonic ping" sound a ship makes when searching for a submarine. If I hear a sound on the same frequency it seems to clash and sounds "brassy".
I have made a name tag to wear when I go Lawn Bowling that says"JIM- I am not ignoring you- I'm just DEAF. Most team mates just say "tell us something we havn't found out already"
I have been to 3 GPs and an ENT, have had an MRI that found nothing,or so they said.
Its driving me mad that I have lost so much hearing and have not found what is causing the problem, apart from a "full ear" feeling I have no other discomfort.I have a hearing aid for the left ear that only makes it harder to understand voices and don't particularly want one for the right ear.  Any ideas anyone.
Ok, realized I posted this as a question, but wanted to post it here as well...

Hey,

First of all, wanted to thank everyone out there for this forum. There is not a lot out there about ETD...IMO it is aboiut the worst thing to get a handle on. I have been suffering with ETD (or what I believe to be ETD) for about three months following an close proxemity to an explosion in Baghdad that also perforated (now healed) my eardrums.

I posted before, but about 10 days after woke up with severe pain in both ears. This is extremely frustrating for me because all the info out there (and there really isn't that much to begin with) is about ETD caused by allergies. I am 100% sure this is not the cause in my case as I have no other allergy symptoms whatsoever. My ENT is just sbout to give up...as she says 1. She's never seen ETD this severe and 2. She's unsure what the cause is because we're just about convinced it is not allergy related. (They have put me on every decondestant, allergy med and nasel spray we can think of and none have worked).

To complicate things, I was initially diagnosed with a ear infection in Iraq, put on antibiotics. They didn't believe me when I said my eardrums felt like they were about to burst...and they almost did with one "bulging" eardum and the other under extreme pressure. I got an infection from all this gunk pooling in my inner ear. I had tubes put in about 3 wks ago and got a bad infection in the hospital. That caused me lots of pain and I've been fighting it ever since.

The tubes have helped with the pressure,but I still am having serious issues with my ears including leakage at night, off and on tinnitus, hearing loss (although the Air Force says I'm fine my wife disagrees), occasional dizziness/lightheadness, fullness feeling in the ear and crackling/popping everytime I move my jaw. I've had one bad episode with vertigo(felt like I was falling sideways even as I sat in a chair).

I suffered a concussion in the blast and have had headaches since the incident, but last week the headaches got much worse. One was so bad it sent me to the ER where tafter a 3 hr wait, they saw me for all of 15 min, gave me pain killers and kicked me to the curb. (Beacuse I didn't have neurological defects--could remember things, count bkwrds, etc and regular motor skills--they refused my request for a CT or an MRI.)

Now I live in pain everyday. Either the ears, or the head or both. The painkillers help some, but I've had three really bad headaches this week--where I thought I was going to die. My ENT has just about given up on me..last time she said that although she could treat the infection, we may never know the underlying cause of the ENT, she offered that maybe I would just heal "sometimes these things just heal themselve with time" and I'd just have to learn to live with it.

I see a neurologist at the end of the month. I don't know if the headaches are due to the ear problem, the infection, the concussion or something else...but this is no way to live. The Drs think I'm nuts, making this up or over dramatizing. I just want it fixed. It's annoying and painful. It has disrupted my life. I would be afraid tyo fly on a plane, I have tubes so I can't go swimming, I used to love riding Motorcycles--not anymore, no scuba diving for me, I can't even drive with the windows down in my car as the rushing winds causes ear pain. I avoid large crowds and just going out is a big ordeal now. As I'm in pain, I can't get anything done at work, can't concentrate, feel distracted all the time. I also keep forgetting things. I have a hard time understanding people when they talk and ask them to reapeat themselves, also cannot judge my voice volume--my wife says I'm either afraid of talking out loud so I mumble or I end up shouting.

July 4th was hell for me with all the fireworks...I'm still a bit jumpy from my time in Iraq and the bangs brought up a lot of painful memories. plus just the simple loud noises didn't do my head/ears any good.

So anyway....sorry to be so long winded. Does anyone have suggestions?

Could I have a CSF leak or a Fistula? Is there any specific sytmptoms I should look out for? What will a CT or MRI tell me? If I finially get rid of the infection, should my ears leak at all? (Is a small bit of leakage normal)? Or would goop still coming out of ear indicate another problem? Any clues on the underlying cause of ETD?

Would my ENT know if I had a CSF or Fistula? How would she know without any xrays?

Thanks for everything. This page is a lifesaver. I don't wish ETD on anyone, but it is nice to know I'm not alone and I'm not crazy!

Nate
I am amazed to find this website! My daughter is 13 and diagnosed Autistic, and has had ear infections every year, all her life. At this age, I'm thinking this should be long over...the doctors have all said through her life she'll grow out of it, but the antibiotics have cause Hyperacusis and Tinnitus, and sadly we can't get a lot of information from her, so we've been limping along, chasing ideas, products, etc...Finally the current ENT suggested that it could be her Eustatian tubes. Her dad gives her a sinus rinse every night (squirting a baby bulb up each nostril with a solution of kosher salt and baking soda) yet nothing helps. Have any of yougotten sound sensitivity from the Eustation problem? I'm wondering if perhaps she just has polyps, becasue her hearing hasn't been affected. The doctors insist she has no polyps, but I see on this board there are other tests she can have done.  Thanks and heartfelt prayers to you all!  Joan M. Michigan
Wow, after reading posts here seems like ETD can take many forms.  I feel for everyone here.  For the past 6 weeks I  have had ear aches, clogging in ears, constant ear ringing and also lately pain in my eyes that feels like a headache type pain.   Have been to primary doc, ENT, Allergy doc, eye doc so far.    I was initially put on Flonase and told to take Zyrtec as needed, that didn't do anything.  Went to ENT he said stay on Flonase you have ETD and come back in a month for hearing test.  Well that test is coming up next week.   After him I decided to go to Allergy doc who did tests and said I was allergic to my pets and had seasonal allergies.  Ok, so he puts me on singulair and tells me to take Zyrtec every day in addition to Flonase.  That didn't help.  He did a sinus CT scan and everything was clear so go back to ENT and see what he says.  Went to my eye doc because my eyes started hurting last 2 weeks and she said the whites of my eyes are inflammed and there's allergens present.  She puts me on a steriod drop, has helped so far with eye pain quite a bit.   At this point I still have ringing ear and pretty bad ear ache on and off.   The only improvement I've noticed is my ears aren't clogged that much any more.  I guess I should stay positive and see this improvement as progress and blessing.   Anyway, just sharing with everyone.    If anyone has any advice on what I should ask or request of the ENT when I see him again this week would appreciate it.     Cheers.
Judging by the date, you might have gotten more help by now, but just the same, no need to be scared.  I've talked to several doctors including a very good ears nose and throat specialist and surgeon.  If you have been checked for polyps, and you don't have an infection or fluid in your ear, the best thing to do is just ride it out. The four big things that helped my ear was putting my head back on propped up pillows, gargling with salt water, using Advil, and sometimes just sticking my pinky in my ear and shaking it a bit.  Sneezing  and yawning will help.  Avoid air conditioning or fans blowing on or too close to your ears.  Be careful with steroid sprays.  They increase anxiety in some people. ear drops didn't seem to help and I would use peroxide very sparingly.  Get soft ear plugs for going into the shower and pool.  Try to distract yourself and have an attitude that the condition will clear up instead of getting upset by it.  I really hope this helps.
MM
I forgot to mention, humid days and high pollen days are worse than dry or cool days.  Cover your ears and head in winter.  Don't overdry the air with heat in winter, use a humidifier.
MM
  In Feb I came down with vertigo, I went the route of treatment for ear rocks, congestion, antivert. Chiropractor, meniere's disease treatment with zero help.

One medic quick PA flushed out my ear and it started popping when I swallowed a drink of water and I got better for a while so I started flushing out my own ear to get better, my doc and ENT said for me not to do that.  Duh? It is the only thing that gives me a life.  I have started adding a drop of swimmers ear drops after the flushing to dry up the flushing water.  I have to flush my right ear out almost every day and my left ear once every 3 or 4 days.  I am not well but my life is almost great.

My theory is that it is my ear drum that is blocked instead of my eustachian tube.

I am retired and don't have to work but I would like to enjoy life.
  This morning I flushed out my ear but it didn't help and by 4pm my ear was ringing and I was getting dizzy.  I panicked and used some saline spray then some steroid spray and then I tried lying on my back and closing one nostril and doing a sucking and vibrating action to drain my Eustachian tubes. I would move my head in all different directions to get more production. There was plenty of drainage and my ear quickly started clicking but I continued as long as I was getting some production.  
I'm so glad to have found this sight as I feel totally miserable with my ear problem, and I've only had it for 4 or so weeks....I really feel for all of you who have suffered much longer. My right ear problem started after a weekend away where I think I picked up a virus. I had really bad pain in my ear, and reduced hearing. initially I wondered if it was earwax, and used some earease. This did nothing - except my ear started to discharge a lot of clear liquid which went on for a couple of days. I went to the doctors who said I had a middle ear infection and I had a course of anti-biotics. During and ever since, my symptoms are continuous tinitus; a feeling of fullness in the ear; very limited hearing; constant popping and cracking; feelings of sharp pain from time to time - build up of pressure. I can hold my nose when I breathe out and get loud pops. It relieves it for a couple of seconds and then everything comes back. I also can hear my own voice echoing inside my head, ditto breathing - this part comes and gos. I feel absoblutely exhausted and run down. I have continued to go to work throughout, but it is affecting work - I do quite a lot of presentations/reports to meetings etc, and I have had to cancel these as I can't function with all this going on in a room of more than 2 people. The only thing I can really do is computer work in my own little bubble. I have been back to the doctors who says the ear infection ha cleared up but that my eardrum looks swollen and red, indicating ETD, and suggets that there is a build-up of fluid in the middle ear - like glue ear. I have been prescrined decongestants and advised to take facial steams - which I have. However, all the symptoms have steadily got worse not better. I feel so miserable!!!! what should I do next? Many thanks for any help you can give me
Celtickitten  

I had lots of ear glue, I was told by the internet to use the sudafed pseudoephedrine that that they keep behind the counter.  I took some and then I closed one nostril and did a sucking action and a glue like string of yarn came out from my Eustachian tube.  It came out of  the right ear for 3 hours and 2 hours for the left ear. It would bunch up in my throat and I would have to break it up and swallow it before it closed off my throat.  That was gross.

I thought I had made myself well but I got even sicker but that is because I had developed an outer ear infection which was cured by a medicquick center that flushed out my ear.  

As per my previous post I am much better but the axe still hangs over my head.

Here is a good link to ETD but oddly, it doesn't mention vertigo.

http://www.bcm.edu/oto/jsolab/eust_tub.htm

I can tell when my when my Eustachian tube is blocked  by pinching my nose shut and swallowing some water, if my ear develops pressure, the tube is blocked, if the ear double clicks the pressure is equalized. The double click is both the ear drum and the eustachian tube opening to equalize pressure.

If I have pressure on my ear I start getting sick in about 30 minutes and vertigo and tinnitus is just down the road.

Once I relieve the pressure I get better in 30 minutes to a couple of hours.
  Last night I discovered a natural way to drain the middle ear with no discomfort.

I had been closing one nostril and snorting which is very uncomfortable and makes a disturbing noise.  Last night I wanted to clear my stuffed ear but not wake my wife.  So I exhaled out my air then I made a snoring noise while breathing in.  I could do this as often as I needed without waking the wife.

1.  Pinch one nostril and snore in your breath with the other nostril.
2.  Don't touch the nose and snore in your breath through both nostrils.
3.  On occasion pinch the nose and blow just enough to feel the nostrils expand a little.  This will often clear the Eustachian tube to allow the ear to pop after doing the snoring thing.

By doing those things I got my ears to double click without doing the flush the ear thing and I am feeling great today.
Crazy how so many people having these problems.. I cannot seem to figure out anything, no matter how many doctors I see.

6 months ago, my problems started out with dizziness. Saw 2 different GPS, 2 different ENTs... they all told me to take decongestants & nasal sprays and 1 said get an MRI. (Never got the MRI because I couldn't justify blowing that much $ on an MRI based on a doctor spending about 3 minutes with me and saying 'could be a brain tumor- go get an MRI'). Anyways, over the next few months, symptoms have escalated to greater inner ear pain/pressure & headaches & constant ear popping when swallow. Saw a 3rd ENT-Neurologist (supposedly one of the best, located in Chicago). He couldnt find any reason for dizziness or ear pain, said it might be mastoiditis (problem with mastoid sinus near inner ear) or it could be ETD. Prescribed ANOTHER nasal spray (Astelin) which has done nothing.

My symptoms are the same... and I now am having numbness/dull pains in my right foot and my right hand.. these pains sometimes seems to connect up my arm, thru neck into head. I have no idea of this is all related, or if anxiety/depression (from all the dizzyness and ear/head aches) causing these new symptoms. I have no idea what kind of doctor to see now. Acupuncturist, Chiropractor, Neurologist, Allergist, all of the above, none of the above... running out of $ and patience

I see a lot of people have pressure in an ear AND ear popping.  For me, I either have my ear popping or I have pressure on the ear.  When it double pops, it clears off the pressure.

1.  My ENT says I have allergies that is causing my vertigo. Hmm, I have had a runny nose for 60 years and never had vertigo.

2.  When I got Vertigo, my nose stopped running. Hmmm

3.  Maybe my runny nose is going someplace else, like my ear.
Hmmm
4.  My runny nose stopped when I took the steroids up the nose.

5. What is different since I take the nose spray?

6. I don't blow my nose anymore, hmmm

7.* Today I have been blowing my nose on a tissue everytime my eustation tube stops up.  It seems to help start my ear to popping. *

8. Going to the Chiropractor seems to also help.  But I found I get the same benefit from doing yoga to Lillias Folan and it is a lot cheaper.  My back and hip even crack when the yoga makes them go in place.  Posture definitely is a major factor for me.

NOT TRYING TO SELL ANYTHING.....Being genuine. I have had blocked ears for 1 year now and had felt terrible. I have been dignosed with Eustatian tube syndrome and tried a million nasal sprays and tablets! They don't work!!! The best thing for me was a life style change. A friend who had bad fatigue introduce me to Herbalife wellness products and they have changed my life. I still have the odd bad day but not 7 days a week where I almost had to quit my job. I take a shake , green tea and multivitamins. I feel so much better and energised that I am not laid in bed with dizziness and fatigue. Again not trying to sell you stuff but you have to changed what you eat with this problem and take things to keep your energy up. It is a horrible thing and thank god I now longer have the pressure in my head from blocked tubes.
[quote]
by penelope220

Mar 29, 2008 10:09PM
To: All
i went thru all the sufferings too and doctors told me that there's nothing wrong with my ears.  i eventually diagnosed myself and used drops.  now ....my vertigo is gone, no sinus problem and i feel alive!!![quote]

So far I have found a dozen things including life style changes to help my vertigo but none of my cures work unless I take some ear drops.  The best drops I have found to clear my ears is Debrox.  It will clear my ears for a time but I have to keep good posture and get plenty of rest and repeat the ear drops when my ears stop up again.  Yoga increases my flexibility, strength, balance and calms my mind.

I found swallowing hot food keeps my ears popping but then sometimes a cold drink does the same.
   I might look into the herbalife wellness.
   It is now August 23 and Since February, I am about the same place with my Vertigo.  Back then the PA told me to get my ears to double click and I would get better.  So far I can get my ears to double click by:

1. Flush my ear
2. Float in the pool
3. Lying down with a pillow under my back and my head hanging down.
4.Sit straight in the dinner chair and drink a drink.
5. Doing Lilias Yoga.

While doing Yoga I noticed that my ear cleared up while bending over.  Hmmm

Today I was able to clear my ear while working in the yard.  I normally squat to pick up things but now I bend over to pick up things and amazingly it clears my ears and makes me feel well.

My plan is to keep track of my ear and when it stops up I will bend over and and relax for a while.

I have been off all medications for over a week and it has made no difference even my lifetime of sneezing and runny nose seems to be gone.
  I bought a device that allows me to look inside my own ear.  The docs always just say the ear is clean and sometimes they say it looks angry.  What I saw was a good grey ear with a bundle of blood red veins at the top radiating down to the middle of the drum.  

I solved the mystery on why my sinus problems ended when I got vertigo.  The Vertigo medicine kept my sinuses clear.  I stopped the medicine and woke up in the middle of the night with a full blown stopped up head, sneezing, my eye so stuffed up I couldn't focus to read.  I got out of bed being wobbly and ears ringing.  I flushed one ear 7 squirts and I started to spin so I went back to bed.  Woke up feeling fairly well the next day.

Did 30 minutes of slow yoga and was fine. for a day.
Experience has shown me that Chiropractor, swimming, yoga etc aid the flushing of the ear but don't work when used alone.

I have taken up a lot of space chronicling my problems so I invite a moderator to delete some or all.

If a Physician reads this I would love to hear from you.

Wow, you bought a device that lets you look into your own ear? Where? I would love something like that!

Thanks for your interest. Copy and paste the link. I bought this one--- http://www.kilian-nakamura.com/catalog/ear-scope-gxl-high-end-endoscope-p-30.html --- for $229 plus I bought a stand to hold the scope.   For $300 something they have one that allows you to see in your ear on a TV set and they also offer a connector to take digital pictures.  I wish I had of bought the TV enabled device and the picture taking device but with the TV device I could hook it to my computer and save the image.
  Hello Mimi,

Here is a link to different ear photos indicating different conditions.

http://medweb.uwcm.ac.uk/otoscopy/common.htm

Just start with image one and then click next to see a new condition until you have seen all of them.

Jim
Jim,

Thank you so much! I have ear infections frequently(I have one right now) and would love to be able to see in there.

Thanks,
Melissa
  I am a stubborn person who didn't want to believe that my vertigo could be cured by antihistamines or steriods or that the doc knew what he was talking about.

Well, now that I am off all medications, my ear is stopped up for good and no trick I have learned will open it.  I am restarting my medications today and will take them as ordered.  Finally after 7 months, I will try following doctors orders very carefully.

When the medicine only gets 80% to curing the problem and another thing like flushing the ear or yoga does the other 20% then it is easy to give all the credit to the last 20% that made me well.  I am now going to work on the first 80%.

I was tired of flushing my ears so I spent 2 days doing nothing but following doctor's orders.  Antivert 3 times a day and Flunisolide twice a day and I also did some Yoga and swimming in hopes of clearing my ears.  In the two days I became bed sick in body and mind.  So I am certain the doctors offered me no cure.

I flushed both ears and within an hour both ears were clicking properly and my health just as quickly returned.  On the negative side, after flushing my ears I decided to look in one of them with my scope and I didn't see much but it irritated my ear and it stopped clicking for about 30 minutes.

I have been flushing my ears only after I get sick, maybe I will flush them twice a day for a while, you know, preventive medicine.

It is worthy to note that while I was off the medications and my head completely stopped up, but my head completely cleared up after flushing out the hurting ear.  So if I go off all medications again, I may be able to control clogged up head as well as Vertigo by flushing the ear.
   I stopped flushing my ear unless I get totally sick.

I only put in one drop of wax remover and let it get to the sweet spot where it makes my ear itch like crazy and when I do that I get about the same results as flushing my ear.  I have been doing that for several days now and I am staying functioning.  Now when I take a drink and pinch my nose and swallow I don't get the distinct double click but I don't get pressure on my ear and I don't get sick, so far.

I am off all medications.  Now the drop of ear wax cleaner can no longer find the sweet spot that itches like crazy,  I hope that is a good sign.

A woman who claims to be an herbal healer told me to use 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 hydrogen peroxide.   I was doing ok but I tried her advise and with in 4 hours I was barely able to walk and I had a killer sinus infection with hot water running from my nose.  I flushed both ears and took and one Ibeprofin and slept more than I wanted to but the next day I was completely well again.  So take it from me, Don't use vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in your ear.

I have about 6 different kinds of store bought ear drops and they have brought me a life I can live with.  I have read post by many people who cured their vertigo by using ear drops but that is a very general statement and of little help to me.

While I was sick from taking vinegar drops, my ears were ringing and when I took the Ibuprofen, the ringing tone in my ears changed.  I took an Ibuprofen once before with the same results.  Strange?

Hi. I have had juicy, ringing ears for about 10 years. Sinus issues, allergies (actually, chemical sensitivites). Luckily no vertigo or pain. I was reading your site, then found this other site. Hoping that this info might help someone here. I read in previous posts that ear irrigation may not be the way to go, so just ignore that particular suggestion in this site, but maybe look into the rest. I wish you all the best of luck. I wonder if an overgrowth of yeast or fungus may be an issue in the ear? Candida?
Take care.

http://chiropracticathome.com/Patient_subweb/Otitis%20Media%20C2.pdf
Check this out! Looks very interesting. Play the video. It may be something beneficial. Definitely different. I found it looking up info on Naturopathic Doctors.

http://www.ncrdoctors.com/ncr_world_business_news/world_business_news_special_report.html

I found it here:   http://www.drboyercole.com/faqs.html

Good luck to you all, and I wish you a good night's sleep!
  I checked it out and I had to hold on for the second video for the info on NeuroCranial Restructuring or NCR.  I believe it holds promise as an evolution of Chiropractor science. I hope it proves good and it is possible it could help me and many people here.

Hi Nate,
  I did not see a follow up post from you.  Has your condition cleared up?
  I made a real dope out of myself at the VA office. I told the doc that the reason flushing my ears cleared them up was because the valve in the ear drum was stuck.  He says there is no valve in the ear drum.  I say I saw it in an animation on the internet.  He says, oh, if you saw it on the internet then it must be true, maybe you can teach me something about medicine.

I go home and look at the animation and the ear drum doesn't have a valve.  Under pressure it stretches out and when the Eustachian tube opens the eardrum "Pops" back in place.  I thought that pop was the ear drum opening.

He says the only way to open the eustachian tube is with antivert and nasal spray.

So I say to myself, "forget about flushing the ears" it ain't gonna cure you.

Once before I used Psedoephedrine to open my eustachian tubes and clear out the ear glue.  So yesterday I took a 12 hour Pseudoephedrine and my ears cleared up in minutes.  But that is only turning off the alarm bell saying that the middle ear was full of fluid.  Now I must go after the main problem.  

Today is my second day on Psedoephedrine and I spent hours lying flat on my back allowing my middle ears to drain.  I help the process by a sucking action but I try to be careful not to suck too hard and damage something.  When there is no more drainage then I should be well, ha ha.

I hope this will end my ordeal.

Ok here is the real deal.  My vertigo is caused by fluid in the middle ear that needs to be drained through the Eustachian tubes.  It is maddening to try getting them open, but once they are open good health soon follows but even then it is a long road to full recovery.

Here is my greatest success.  I used the yawning technique (from previous post) to hear my tubes clicking but this proved to be more of a monitor than a cure.

The cure is simple and proved by the sound of the clicking of the tubes and no medicine is needed. In fact I suspect the nasal spray as the cause of my vertigo.

When my nose is stopped up or not I started breathing in through the nose even if only a small stream of air came through but it was like a torch cutting a bigger trail for more air.  When I breath out I open my mouth wide so there is no pressure.  The breathing in makes a vacuum on the Eustachian tubes and drains them.  I believe that blowing my nose puts high pressure that can fill my middle ear from my sinus drainage while sucking pulls fluid out of the middle ear and my proof is that my tubes start clicking shortly after doing the breathing in technique.

In to the count of 12, hold for the count of 4 and out for the count of 8.

I do it when I am watching tv, driving down the road, lying in bed, walking, in other words it cost little in lost life style but if I forget to do it I get a funny feeling in my head that sets me back to sucking in through the nose.  I am sure there is someway you can hurt yourself doing this so be careful.  

I recently read that Menieres disease is caused by fluid in the middle ear and I had several docs to say I had Menaires disease. So this technique may work for that too.

I learned this while doing Lilias yoga, I knew yoga cleared my ears up but I couldn't do yoga all day long so I noted the part that cleared my sinuses and ears every morning.
I started doing this last night and I feel much better today and I don't have to flush my ears to get them open.
  It is so simple but it works so well.  Everytime I take a breath I breath in through the nose and out through the mouth.  In 3 days I am able to carry on a normal life with 90% cured. But when I forget "in through the nose and out mouth" I get dizzy again.

Even so I still get a buzz in my ears at night and night wobbles but the days are great as long as I spend the mornings clearing up my sinuses.

Any questions?
An update on me.....

The last few months have been difficult for me. Since surviving a close encounter with an explosion in Iraq I have had nearly constant ear and head problems. I suffered a mild traumatic brain injury and now have nearly constant migraine headaches, sensitivity to light and sound, constant fatigue, memory loss, problems with concentration/cognitive issues, etc. This is on top of the "ear issues"......

The jury is still out on the ears. In late June the ENT FINALLY did an ear culture and found two different, drug resistant, staph like, infections in BOTH ears. They also saw signs of internal ear injury, partially healed. They started me on massive doses of antibiotics that left me sick/naseous for two weeks.

Since then, things have gotten better. I still think I have ETD, but it comes and goes now more than being constant. Hard to explain. However, my ears just don't feel right. Even with tubes in both ears....I feel a constant "wetness" behind them and a pressure sensation pushing out. Not to the point of hurting, but it feels uncomfortable. I thought the whole point of tubes was your ears automatically aujusted, so you never felt any pressure. I'm just the opposite---slight pressure all the time. I can however, clear my ears most of the time with the Vaisala(sp?) manuever...something I could not do before.

Clicking is gone 50% of the time when I move my jaw.....but still there when I swallow. So, I guess the bottom line is getting better but still not cured. I still have a low grade ear pain that never really goes away and tinnitus that varies in volume(nearly constant). I don't mean to be the town whiner---but it's been 5 1/2 months since injury and it just seems progress is slow. The dizziness pretty much stopped when we killed the infections. That was a relief. I still get migraine induced dizzy spells though--but before I was getting a double whammy.

They are sending me for another hearing test this week. I think I have lost some more hearing. I am having a hard time understanding people..esp with background noise. My Dr doesn't seem too concerned(she said the tubes will cause some hearing loss)...but it seems to be getting worse with time.

I dunno. I just get the feeling like the Drs can't do much for me. They keep telling me we have to pretty much wait it out and wait for these things to heal themselves. It's hard to keep a positive outlook sometimes.

I'll keep you updated.

Nate
   Thanks, Nate for putting yourself in harms way to defend our country. I hope you get well soon.
This morning I was feeling so good that I forgot my breathing exercises and then I got dizzy and foggy headed. It was time to take action of some kind. So to get better I used some saline nasal spray then took a 45 min walk and breathed in the nose and out the mouth and my ears started clicking and by the time I got home I was feeling cured. I like that kind of cure.

I thought the ENT spending $2,500. for an allergy blood test was an absolute waste of Medicare money but at the present moment I am using the diet to avoid allergy problems instead of taking the medicine. I believe the medicine closed off the fluid in my head when it dried up my sinuses so I don't use it anymore, I prefer to let the junk run out of my body.
My daughter had an ear infection two days before Thanksgiving 2007 - I took to dr and was diagonised with an ear infection.  But for the next few weeks her ear kept hurting and then her neck too.  To this day my daughter is always in pain from her ear to the side of her head and down her neck we to have been to all the doctors had all the test lots of medicine that does not help this pain is never gone she is always tring to get her ear to pop has a hard time with wind or haivng the car window down when we travel or even to ride in the car because of the pressure she hardly sleep 6 hours a night she is usually up at least 2 or 3 times our newest problem is that her hair is falling out and they say it is stress related  well no wonder is there any one that can tell me how to get help or who helped any of you  is there any help????
  I can understand her misery because I was there this year.  I have found the nasal sprays keep my head dry and prevents drainage so I stopped using them.  Sudifed helps when I am too stuffed up to sleep but not for regular use.  I found a 30 minute Lilias yoga tape on the internet and she causes me to relax, breath in the nose and the exercises cause my sinuses to open and drain out my nose and throat but what a relief it is.  

From Iilias I have learned that breathing in to the count of 12, hold for 4 and out to the count of 8 helps drain the eustachian tubes, I can actually feel the drainage. This is a good practice during any exercise including walking expecially exercise while lying on the back. This breathing also gives me energy.  It is not a quick cure but it quickly makes life bearable.  If I could remember to do this 24/7 I would be 100% cured by now.

All the doctors tell me not to flush my ear but that is a sure way for me to get my ear popping again when nothing else will. I use a flush kid from the drug store.

ps I had all your daughter had but pain and without doing the above actions I pretty much had to stay close to the bed in case I got dizzy.
  I now have proof positive that flushing my ears cures my vertigo.

I had been doing well for a week, following the ENT's diet , also I had been staying off all medicine.  I did Lilias Yoga every morning to clear my sinuses and I breathed in my nose and out my mouth.

This morning my ears stopped clicking but I went on to vacuum my car, hoping that the ears would clear up from activity and breathing exercise. But,  I got dizzy during the job and by the time I finished I could barely stand up and my stomach was ready to pump out.  It was like day one with this mess had come back.

I flushed one ear and put it on a heat pad then I added some swimmers ear to dry out the water, by this time my ear was clicking but I was still feeling sick. I did the same to the other ear and it started clicking. I added some ear relief for good measure.  The main point here is that after flushing my ears I was able to do a sucking action for about 30 min that drained out my eustachian tubes.

Just that quick, I recovered and feel like a million bucks.

Now I will set up some kind of routine instead of emergency reaction.
Hi jim
I wanted to let you know what the dr thinks is wrong with my daughter they think she had Herpes Zoster Oticus which is the shingles virus which went untreaded.  I thought that tis might be something that you might be interested in reading about.  They say that if treated right away that you get better but for us she has been sick for almost a year.  So I dont know if they can help her. Just thought that any information can help when we are all in the same boat
  So it took them a year to find the problem but at least you persevered until the problem was found.  I will look up Herpes Zoster oticus.  
  Thanks Jodi,

I googled it and found I did not have the symptoms, no pain, no rash, no paralysis.
I have no symptoms until my ears stop clicking and then I get like a drunk man falling around and ready to upchuck.  But flushing my ears stops the condition.  For the last few days I have learned that lying on my back and pouring small amounts  nasal saline spray down my nose helps extend the time between ear flushings.
Jim

I hope they have a cure for your daughter and not just a diagnosis.

What is Herpes Zoster Oticus?
Herpes zoster oticus, also called Ramsay Hunt Syndrome or Ramsay Hunt Syndrome type II, is a common complication of shingles. Shingles is an infection caused by the varicella-zoster virus, which is the virus that causes chickenpox. Shingles occurs in people who have had chickenpox and represents a reactivation of the dormant varicella-zoster virus. Herpes zoster oticus, which is caused by the spread of the varicella-zoster virus to facial nerves, is characterized by intense ear pain, a rash around the ear, mouth, face, neck, and scalp, and paralysis of facial nerves. Other symptoms may include hearing loss, vertigo (abnormal sensation of movement), and tinnitus (abnormal sounds). Taste loss in the tongue and dry mouth and eyes may also occur.

This my first time on here. I've been reading all of the posts--very helpful although conflicting at times! :)

I've had ETD for about a year or two, I can't really gauge how long. Basically my right ear (and sometimes my left) feels plugged and full all of the time. Sometimes everything sounds way loud in my head, other times everything is muffled. Pretty standard right? But, it seems to start there and result in a bevy of other symptoms that no one else seems to have posted about. Usually, one of my glands in my throat (often the right) gets swollen, and I'll have an increase of phlegm. My right will hurt (not surprising), and then I will get deydrated, and eventually if that persists for a couple days, I will feel weak, wiped out, have body fatigue and pain, and my eyes will get glassy and red. As well as feeling like a zombie. I'll also have some nausea and won't really be able to function very well.

Basically, the ear gets clogged, and then I develop cold/flu symptoms. this whole round of things happens for a couple days a week to some degree every single week, and has been for about a year, year and a half.

The doc says I don't have any fluid or infection in there. Anyone have any illumination to shine forth? I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

More on ear flushing.

Yesterday and today my ears were clicking just fine but today during my 30 min Yoga tape my sinuses dumped two big loads of congestion and at about the same time I felt liquid in my outer ear, previously I had thought  this feeling was ear wax.  But since it came at the same time as the congestion in the throat then maybe it is was also congestion and not ear wax.

So when I felt the drop of liquid in my ear it went from clicking to squishing, to doing nothing. ---- I flushed the ear and it went back to clicking.

conclusion:  unknown.
  Today I was so dizzy I was about to fall down and puke.  I flushed my ears and in 15 minutes I was cleaning the pool and doing my 45 minute walk.   I am real happy the ear flushing works but I have had this mess for 9 months and am sick of it.   Is there somebody out there with a cure?
  I went to another board within the Medhelp board and they were talking about using yoga breathing exercises for unstopping the ear.  I tried two techniques and it was like a super efficient way to blow my nose of congestion.  It should be taught to children as basic health.

The exercises are simple but it is difficult to give directions so I googled the exercises for written directions and utube directions.

The Indian Yoga breathing exercises are: 1) Bhastrika,2)  Anulom Vilom, 3)Bhramri Pranayam, and 4) Kapalbhati.
  OK,  here is the real cure, breathing exercises:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/7196?camp=36

The flushing of my ears is only a temporary cure to make life bearable.  The breathing exercises clear my ears on demand.  Today I can barely notice any ringing in my ears and I went 4 days without flushing my ear but I don't think I need to do that anymore.

I still need the saline spray in the mornings to clear up my head enough to do the breathing exercises.
     I take no more drugs.
   The gold standard for doctors to cure vertigo is valium and antivert. Well, 6 doctors and one ENT refused me this simple cure.

Last night I took one valium and one antivert and in less than 5 minutes my ears started draining out my eustachian tubes and in 10 minutes both ears were clear.  I know it was my eustachian tubes because I have been doing a sucking action on them for months.

I can't say I am completely cured but this is the first time in ten months that my ears have been clear.
  I have learned why flushing my ears cleared up my vertigo. I have had to do that for about 7 months in order to function for half a day.

I tried using ear plugs and I put them in until it plugged up my ears before taking a shower and I have not had to flush my ears since.  The shower water in my ears was feeding the thing that was closing my eardrums and making me sick.

So for all this time I was basically cured but I kept reinfecting my ears by shower water.  

Self inflicted illness.  
I am grateful to all of you who took the time to write these notes. I too am experiencing fullness in one ear and a hearing loss. Although the main problem is in my ear, I feel vague systemic stuff, like exhaustion, achiness, and spaciness. I went to two doctors and was told I had a sinus infection, but that my ears looked clear. Antibiotics did nothing to clear my ear. In fact they only made me feel weaker. I have been living with the blockage for over a month. My ear does not even pop. I get no crackling or anything. After being treated like I was a whiny fool by a physician, I decided no more drugs. I decided on changing my attitude.

I am concentrating on repairing my immune system, which I believe was weakened by unnecessary antibiotics and maybe a virus that kicked the whole thing off. I am resting as needed. I am taking large doses of vitamin C and echinacea. I am using a neti pot with warm salt water and gargling with warm salt water several times a day. I am drinking lots of water. I have had a yoga practice for many years and am continuing it along with long walks several times a week and am eating a very clean diet of mostly fruits, veggies, and whole grains.

I went to an acupuncturist and got a treatment and some herbs. About 24 hours after the treatment, the pressure in my face and ear  was relieved, although I still have  some hearing loss. Then I discovered that if I take advil, my hearing clears. To me that means I must have swelling in my ear. I will switch to taking Bromelane, which is very good for inflammation and easy on the stomache, which advil is not.

All of these things have helped me start to feel better. Reading what you have all been through confirms my decision to support my body as much as possible and let it take care of itself now. I don't have health insurance and from what I can tell from the messages, doctors can't really resolve this, but they can take thousands of dollars trying.

Good luck to you all.
mtnyogini
reading all posts...make me feel i am a part of this too...:) well i wanted to share my 3 yr. old daughters story here who never had a single ear infection ... we traveled 3 yrs ago n after 1 week of our arrival here i received a phone call from school " pls. pick up ur daughter she is having an earache.." n i took her immediately to the ped. n she told me that she has pus in her ear n gave antibiotic ear drops ..after may b 4 or 5 dayz i noticed redness behind her ear... u wont believe i used to give her motrin every 6 hrs daily for pain..alternating with tylenol 2- 3 hrs...in between the motrin doses...i told my doc. that i saw redness she asked me to rush to the hosp. after examining her...when arrived at hosp. they did CT n it was a sinus infection in different areas of face n mastoiditis...so they put her on IV antibiotics n send us home with other oral antibiotics n ear drops... the ENT who was the hosp. head of dept. asked us to use the antibiotics n wait for the results...i wish i knew his intentions... n gone for a second, third or even more opinions...he knew that the infection is out of control ...wanted to operate for an experiment... if i had known anything about mastoiditis i wud have changed the doc right away...the ENT didn't even suggested ear tubes... to drain fluid... so on a followup after two horrible weeks...when her ear was at 90 degrees from front..n back of the ear filled with abcess n early meningitis... he said take her to the hosp. for surgery right away... and when he explained me the method of operation... the only thing which i cud hear during that tension "the hole will remain open for cleaning"  ...i said what did u say... i called pediatrician n told what he said ... she told me to admit her to the hosp. and put her on IV antibiotics so infection can clear...but last moment when i took her to the ER i requested for a second opinion from another doctor..thanx to the hosp. staff that they arranged a doc. from outside our county... n an angel to us... when he saw my daughter the first thing he said that what were u guyz waiting for ...its a lifethreatening situation... face cud have paralysed she cud have died...bla bla..n i cudn't believe my daughter was in such a horrible deadly condition...well he told that he will try to put tubes n see if there is just swelling or pus behind ears ...well after 45 mins during surgery doc came running out n asked us to sign another sheet of paper ...he said that the back of ear was full of pus  on piercing with needle pus shooted to the level of his face..n has to perform a surgery in which he will open her ear...well after surgery... doc told us that she had bleeding in the dura of the brain , had to do fat grafting coz of abcess she lost most of her mastoid bone ...she did just fine after that... but has fluid prob. but thankfully her hearing is 100% n no ear infections eversince...for fluid flonase was prescribed by the doc. n continuous use to reduce ET inflammation... n it works...also i was told by a ped. use of SUDAFED reduces fluid ..n it works wonders...holding the nose n blowing pops the ears n drains fluid from the behind ear drums works... docs also say to get tonsils n adenoids removed which i searched n found that doesn't help much in most of the cases..even in adults with these prob. its hard to find right doc. i had searched on "the hole remain open " process of mastoidectomy n was scared to death reading it...it was to remove everything in the ear(hearing aids including ear drums ) n make ear canal larger to clean it often from outside..so thank GOD i made the right decision n went for a sec. opinion v last minute n requested for a better option on surgery..not removing any inner organs of the ear.... so please to all those who read this...long story go for sec. third even more opinions if u think u r not satisfied... gud luck to all ...
I posted previously about suffering from congestion and a sense of fullness and a loss of hearing in one ear after a sinus infection. This was all accompanied by a general ill feeling that had lasted over 6 weeks.  I was feeling pretty freaked out and miserable. I was afraid I was going to lose my hearing for good. The doctor gave me antibiotic and told me to take sudafed and pushed me out the door--twice. I only got sicker as a result. Finally, I stopped all over-the-counter decongestants and allergy medicines because they also made me feel crummy. Also I quit putting drops of stuff into my ears because  I found myself fussing over them entirely too much and was only irritating my outer ear.

Although it may seem extreme here's what I did for one week. It was all gentle and painless. The improvement has been astonishing. I have about 98% of my hearing back (after just one week) and my sinuses feel clear and soothed.

1. I went to acupunture: I had one treatment, and I drank an herbal tea once daily. At the end of one session the headache and the pressure in my face disappeared. That alone was a blessing.
2. I boosted my immune system: 3-4 grams of vit C daily (with food); echinacea every 2 hours, 3 cups of nettle tea daily, 3 cups of hot water with lemon and honey daily, and I temporarily increased vitamins A, B, and E along with folic acid. (Take care about increasing vitamins and minerals for a sustained period of time! Some can build up in your body and become toxic.)
3. I reduced inflammation: Bromelain 3 times a day between meals, and a warm compress as needed on my ear.
4. I improved my sinus health:  Sat in steamy bathroom one half hour a day. Breathed over a bowl of steaming water with eucalyptus drops or thyme oil drops a 2-3 times a day--one or the other, not both. Thyme is a good antiviral and antibactierial, and eucalyptus opens your nasal passages. (Watch out not to get thyme oil vapors in your eyes. It's pretty uncomfortable.)  And I used a neti pot with saline solution 3 times a day.

In addition, despite being tired, I walked outside every day for an hour, and  I did a gentle  yoga practice at least one half hour every day to keep things moving through my body. I practiced the alternate nostril breathing described here by another poster twice daily. I took great care to eat only healthy whole foods and got a lot of extra sleep.

I still have a little tinnitus and my ear is clear sometimes and at other times fuller feeling. I am continuing to follow this regimen, although I have lightedned it just a bit. The amount I have improved in 7 days is encouraging.  I believe that if I just get my body as healthy as it can be, my condition will continue to improve.

I hope this philosophy of supporting your body as it does its job is helpful to someone else out there.
I have read most of the above posts and i feel like i found the holy grail of people that suffer from the same thing as me! I have had chronic sinusitis and severe allergies for my entire life. Ear problems have been par for the course for me. Currently BOTH of my eustation tubes are blocked and i feel like i am underwater and unable to hear anything. Usually it is one ear or the other. I cannot remember a time when i could actually hear out of both ears, thats how long this has been going on. The doctors have tried everything just short of putting tubes in my ears, which i feel is likely to be the next step once i go to the ENT. Everyone on here has had this problem for 6mos + and i have had it for my entire life it feels like... believe me, i know EXACTLY how you feel. I am to the point where i feel i will just have to chalk it up to being hearing impaired. My doctor even told me 2 days ago that since this is causing some conflict at work i should wear a sticker that says "hearing impared". I have every symptom that is mentioned above, including the dizziness/vertigo feelings. I am currently on prednisone, antibiotics and hydrocortisone ear drops. None of which seem to be working. I have no suggestions to offer. But i will be checking back here to see if anyone has anything new to mention.
I started getting EMT late last year, and I went to several ENTs who said they saw nothing wrong.  My dentist told me it was possibly due to grinding my teeth at night, and a mouth guard has been helping me a lot.  After having been using the mouth guard, my ears feel a lot better, except for when i smoke weed, then they start to build up again and my nose dries up.  I tried the Eardoc, if anyone is looking for a possible short term solution to ear pain.  http://www.eardoc.info/ .  It is somewhat expensive, but it helps me tremendously when I get ear pressure.  
  I ordered the Eardoc for $55.  It is on the way.  I have been doing well but there are times when I just can't get my ears clear and it would be nice to open my Eustachian tubes without drugs or lying on my back sucking congestion out.  If it doesn't work I will just be out $55 but if it works I will be free from the tether to my house and bed.
   Eardoc sent me an email asking about the eardoc and this is what I did.

After I received this email I decided to make another test of the ear doc so took a drink of water and pinched my nose and swallowed and my right ear was plugged up and now had pressure on it.  The ear doc cleared it up but then the left ear plugged up and back and forth  till I used my snort and sucking action and drained a lot of congestion out, I think it came from my tubes, sometimes it comes from my sinuses. I didn't know exactly where to put the eardoc so I put it all over the place between my nose and ear and all over the place.  I finally settled behind the ear in such a way that it vibrated my outer ear canal also I would pinch my nose and drink water, I think the water is a big help.  Now 30 minutes later both ears are completely clear.
    The battle to clear my ears is a daily battle that I must win or get vertigo so I am motivated to clear the ears up.   I have been feeling bad today but now I feel good, thanks.

An hour later and my ears are plugged up again.  I think the drainage is continuous and re-stops up my ears.  This time it only took a short treatment to open my ears.

I can say that the Eardoc is a very helpful tool but without the pinching the nose and swallowing and the snort and sucking action it would not have been so effective.
   One could not just put the ear doc up to their head and expect to be instantly cured.

You may use anything I say for testimonials.

------------------------------------
Also in my internet travels I found a site where they do surgery on the Eustachian tube instead of putting in a grommet in the ear drum.  They claim it is very simple and effective

http://www.eustachian-tube.net/
I have ear fullness in the left ear even after a PE tube was placed in it -- TMJ and hydrops ruled out -- what could it be?
I have Euastation Tube disfunction for more than 30 years..It usually started in March,and fely a little better by November,so the NY doctors thought it was an allergy...I have lived in Florida  and started getting it real bad between 2 and 4 in the afternoon..I have to do all my work before 2PM..I used to teach  various classes and play and teach music..About 10 years ago it got so bad that I began seeing  a very fine otolaryngologist who is a professor at a teaching  hospital  who diagnosed it as ETD..They used to make a compound from horses urine,but they stopped..He said that because I am thin,my Euastation tubes shrunk and do not function very well....The clogged.. ears and the hearing in the head and the almost closing of the throat is driving me mad..My poor husband!!I hardly see our friends for dinner,because I am so uncomfortable. My voice is high and squeeky and I hear echoes in my ears and head if I speak.   I was thinking to go to another ENT doctor,but None of you really have been helped...I never knew there were so many of us...WOW! It boggles my mind...
As I am sitting here now,my breathing is in my ears and head..Life is very difficult living with this as well as all the other problems that ail us.
I wish you all luck in finding even a half cure,ane if I find one,I will let you all know...
6 doctors say my vertigo is caused by blocked Eustachian tubes and that antivert and steriod nose spray will cure it.  The ENT said I have menieres disease and there is no cure.
  I quit the antivert and steriods as they were no cure.

The Neilmed helps greatly and IS a cure to my sinus problems but I just can't get rid of the fluid in my middle ears that keeps my eustachian tubes blocked.

I went to a second Chiropractor and he left me with a sore back but a couple of hours later my ears sounded like a madman was playing a different pipe organ in each ear.  It was so distressing that I went to bed and then copious amounts of fluid began to flow out of my Eustachian tubes. The middle ear must be very large to hold that amount of fluid. After 15 months I have learned where the tubes and and how to attempt to drain them.  
    Now my ears drain during normal activities and I feel wonderful but I will continue to see this Chiropractor.  

He says that a stiff neck will not allow the muscles, etc to move freely and can prevent the Eustachina tubes from opening and he said a lot of other jibber jabber but it is results that count.
Hi Jim,

I read all your posts and have found them very interesting.  I started having ETD problems 2 days after using a steroid nasal spray for the first time.  I believe it caused my problem, but I am not sure how.  I have everything that comes along with it...dizziness...pressure....and little pain but mostly pressure....and itching in my ears, too.  This all came about in Sept. of 2008.  I have gotten better in some aspects, because I have completely changed my diet and am treating myself for a condition called Candidiasis caused by Candida (I'm sure you've read on it.)  It causes food allergies, sinus problems, ear problems, dizziness, intestinal problems...just to name a few.  But not that mold is in full swing where I live (lots of rain this past Spring), my ears are suffering again.  It never went away, it just didn't feel at times that my ear drum was going to burst.  Anyway, I'm curious (since it's been a month since you posted), what regimen are you sticking to?  Are your ears still feeling normal on most days?  For anyone that is still searching, I highly recommend reading about Candidiasis....
I used to suffer ear fullness and pain, but the worst for me was the voice echo in my head when I talked.  This would always happen after I exercised or did any kind of strenuous activity.  It would eventually go away...but took hours to get back to normal.

I found something that helped me simply by accident...one day I had my ear fullness / voice-echoing going on and my shoe came untied.  I BENT OVER to tie it and like a miracle, my ET popped open.  I couldn't believe it.  The next time it happened, I bent over for like 15 seconds, and my ET popped open again!

So for the next year or so, whenever it would happen, I'd bend over and for the most part, it always popped open.  My doctor also had me 'exercise' my ET's by holding my nose and gulping air into the back of my throat to force the tubes open.  (Careful if you try this...do it gently or it will really hurt.).  

It's been years since I've had to do either of these techniques.  I believe the exercising of the ET's did help get them more 'flexible'...and the fact that I am older and rarely do really strenuous activities like tennis and aerobics probably helped too.

I found this forum because I am having jaw/ear/neck pain that my doctor thinks could be related to my ETD.  So while I am much better today than I was years ago, I still have some problems.

Good luck to all of you.  I hope that what worked for me might help someone on this forum.
Im 33 with  chronic otis media, due to ETD since 2 years of age.  I have had 6 sets of tubes, numerous myringotomys, a partial mastoidectomy on the left, 1 failed eardrum graft (as I currently have no eardrums thanks to all those tubes), and on the 20th of July I will be going in again for another eardrum graft, but this time made of Cartiledge.  I am also supposed to be getting my circular canals blocked due to dizziness.  I had bought the ear popper several years ago, as my nephew had good success with, but it didn't help me.  I now have moderate to severe hearing loss, with chronic pain my ent says I shouldn't be having.  Its nice to come across a site with people with similar problems.  Wish I could find someone currently whos had as many surgerys as myself, someone that can tell me there is some light at the end of this horrible tunnel.  BTW I would be happy to answer any questions and have recently found another site that has helped me cope. Outerdialog.com If anyone would like to contact me u can do so by finding me on myspace Im littleluciex.
To Andi78

I believe that the fact the steroid spray dries up the sinuses prevents nature’s drainage and leads sinus problems to become vertigo problems.  Also the steroid spray weakens the immune system thereby helping yeast infections.

It is odd that you mentioned Candidiasis.  A few months before I got vertigo I got a bad case of candidiasis on my leg and sacrum after a round of antibiotics.  This week I noticed it had come back with a vengeance and my leg is an angry red.  I am using some cream treatment on it.  In the next few days I will work to rid my body of yeast infections.
   I am off all drugs but I often have to get up during the night to use the Neilmed.  This helps me keep my ears and sinuses drained but there is no end to the drainage.   Also I noticed that after using Neilmed during the night I would wake up with my heart struggling and jumping around.  A glass or two of water settles the heart down.  I believe that the salt solution gets too much salt in my blood making it difficult for the heart.  I need to drink plenty of water.
    A week ago I stepped into a shed with several gas cans in it and my sinuses stopped up instantly and I could feel the congestion in my head but if I stepped out my head cleared up instantly.  I did this several times with the same result. I went home and removed all the gas containers from my garage because the A/C unit draws air from the garage.  No major change in me.
  Once again, thanks for the candidiasis connection.  It was there in the back of my mind but now it has moved to the front of the line.
   I am about to follow this ladies advice on clearing up the Eustachian tubes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNqpmI-Lfew
Thank you so much Jane for your advice.
We have a device that helps our whole body hang up-side-down in comfort for several minutes, reversing the effects of gravity. This really does relax a stubborn eustachian tube! Also, search "ear popper" for another natural and easy correction for this thing doctors have "coined" ETD.
Jane, you are so lucky to have an honest doctor...
In addition to my previous post, I found cutting way back on dairy products and other mucus forming foods can cure this epidemic. Search macrobiotic diets and recipes and cleansing diets.
We are still what we eat, so eat to live rather than live to eat.
Seeing a naturalpathic doctor should be your first stop and will save you $$$ and trauma.
There is so much ignorance and greed out there. Beware, this is your only body this time around.
i have read all your stories, and i feel for you all.
i was given travel sickness tablets by my gp, after an hour i felt a mass diffrence, after 3 days i no longer need cotton wool in my ear.
i wouldnt say that it has gone completly, but i no longer feel withdrawn or cry every day. i would defo try for a bit of relief. x
   I woke up this morning to a head and ears of my youth.  All the sounds were crystal clear and my head was clear.  No ringing of the ears.  I had the most beautiful walk around the neighborhood.

How did this happen after so many doctors and months?   Last I did my neilmed to clear up my stopped nose.  About an hour after falling asleep I woke up to copious amounts of fluid coming down my throat.  It was in the back of my throat where I could not access it.  That is very different to what I normally get doing neilmed.

When I first got vertigo, I sucked ear glue from someplace and I could touch it but not recover it from my mouth.  It was not in my mouth, it was in the back of my throat.  

Does anybody have knowledge of the mouth that would explain why my ears would drain down the back of my throat and not in my mouth?

My ears are starting to ring a little again but now I know I must drain from back of the throat to get rid of my vertigo for good.

My previous post came two days after taking one Zyrtec.  Last night I did Neilmed and took  Antivert and woke up to both ears completely stopped up.

I tried the Neilmed and Antivert because Antivert only makes me sleepy for 6 hours as opposed to 24 hours with a Zyrtec.  I am hopeful that properly used  Zyrtec will be the ticket to health.  

I normaly spend hours lying on my back sucking fluid to be able to be vertical most of my life.  With Neilmed and Zyrtec, my ears drained during the night  with no effort on my part except to keep swallowing and not gag.

Also I found there is no sweet spot to suck fluid from my ears.  I have to go after every spot.
   I bought some more Zyrtec and noticed they were a different shape pill but I took one and today my head is completely dry, no drainage.   My ears are roaring like mad and I am in the pits just like when I first got vertigo and the Doctors  told me to take antivert 3 times a day until I got well, these were the same doctors that told me not to take Pseudoephrine because it elevated my blood pressure just a little bit..   Well it is these antihistamine's that keep me sick.

My last box of 5 Zyrtec was Zyrtec-D and contained pseudoephedrine which is what I learned early on would open the Eustachian tubes.  I will have to wait until this antihistamine clears out of my system and take something with pseudo in it.  

I believe that if I had of been given valium and antivert, the gold standard treatment for Vertigo, I would have been cured in three days.   That cured me some 3 years ago and it worked for two of my real life friends.  Now they won’t give me valium.  When I ask for it they think I am a druggie.  Also Zyrtec-D might do the same; I have plans for this one.

Here are my tools for my vertigo caused by stopped up Eustachian tubes.

1.  Antivert (Dramamine)  2.Neilmed sinus rinse  3.  Yoga breathing   4. Inhaling in a snoring way to tease fluid out of the Eustachian tube.--Must clear congestion from all the sinuses first. I do this for hours daily to stay well but when I stop I am soon sick again.  4.  Zrytec-D to clear sinuses and open Eustachian tubes   5. equate Suphedrine ($2.17) to open the Eustachian tubes.  6. Vicks Vapor inhaler.  I breath in a shot then I pinch my nose and sort of pump in and out and it gets in my ears to help clear them.

Here are my test to see how I am doing.

1. Pinch my nose and Swallow and if either or both ears stop up then I will soon be very sick unless I get the ears cleared.

2.  Pinch my nose and Swallow and if both ears click then I am good.

3. Swallow and both ears don't click and don't stop up then I am cured, I have never been here in nearly two years.  This is my goal.

On occasions I have lost the ear ringing and gained excellent hearing and smell but no matter what I do this pleasure soon leaves me.

I have stopped all dairy products as that is guaranted to fill my head with congestion.

I believe that just breathing and snoring keeps the Eustachian tubes clear if there is not too much congestion.  I have been congested for over 50 years.  I am now at the point where I have no congestion and I am working on clearing the Eustachian tubes.  My work so far keeps me healthy but not healthy enough to go out and work or do anything all day. I am lucky to be retired. The doc had my sinuses dried up with steroid use but that would not allow my Eustachian tube to drain so that I never got better.

A few days ago I took 24 hour Zyrtec for two days( should have been Zyrtec-D) then I took the equate Suphedrine and drained my sinuses all night but in the morning both ears were stopped up but after breakfast I was able to walk for an hour in perfect health and hearing.  I took Suphedrine and vicks vapor inhaler and drained my ears for the rest of the day and I feel great but my ears still ring. I have been here many times and thought myself cured so I went full force into yard work and ended up sick again.  I will continue with the Suphedrine and if that doesn’t work I will try the Zyrtec-D route.

My ENT said I have Menires disease and there is no cure. but after some test he said I only have allergies.  My mind goes back and forth between “no cure” and “I am going to beat this”.
   After all I did in the previous post to clear up the last drop of fluid from my ears, I woke up with both ears stopped up and one nostril stopped up.  So I think there is no last drop in my ears there is a factory putting out junk all the time.

From my previous post I refined the mechanical cleaning of my ears and as a consequence my nose too.

To clear up my right nostril I close my lips tight and press them to the right as hard as I can then I gently snore in my nose nostril and then a caw sound out the mouth.  If nothing comes out I drink water and pinch my nose when I swallow to prime the pump and if I still can't get cleared up then I use the Vicks inhaler and pinch my nose and do a pumping action to get the vapors in my ears, then I repeat the sucking action.   My wife hates it when I do that.

By 10 AM I was suddenly almost too weak to stand up so I ate something but no help so I pinched my nose and swallowed and both ears popped out of place and had pressure on them.  I repeated the first part of this post and I was suddenly well again.  Amazing
   I laid on my pillow on my back with my head hanging down and drained my sinuses like I have done for nearly two years to clear out my head and sinuses.  I was getting large amounts out when suddenly my head started swimming.  My ears were clear but for about 2 hours I couldn't stand and it was another hours before I could leave the house.  I just don't get it.
I went to my Greek doctor who listens to me and I am now ready to listen to him. He says the flownase doesn't stop the sinus flow it only shrinks the sinuses.
Together we agreed on this:
I will flush daily with neilmed and use flonsase and before going to bed I will take an antihistamine to help me sleep and a Suphedrine after I get up to wake me up and also to open my ears.
I suffered the same problem for months. went to ENT doctor said noting coulb be done. i started just breathing through my mouth all the time and problem slowly went away. i hope this helps it sounds stupid but works. you will slowly notice the echoing to go away whick is a big relief. also you feel like you casn pronouce words right again or at least thats how it was for me because it was hell hearing myself talk

Search for a Buteyko Practitioner near you. It works by changing your breathing to raise CO2 and relax the smoothe muscle in your body and stop it from spasming. Eustachian tube is surrounded by smoothe muscle. Primarily used for Asthma but works for sinus and ears too as it's all the same principle.
i have ETD, diagnosed 12 years ago. my specialist told me not to waste money on sprays,  as they would only be effective for a shortwhile. he told me my condition is due to an allergy to pine trees, there are many in this area. also a lot of people have it without realising it. the only way to fix it,  is to move to a hot dry climate. i am still here,  and feel all blocked up. one day, i will move to new mexico or the sahara!? that'll fix it. ;)  
just thought i'd share the PINE TREE ALLERGY info. in case someone else may find it useful.
This is interesting!  Weather it's only pine trees or not....  There are many pine trees in the yard and a mixture of pine, walnut, and maple in the village, and probably more important is an extremely dusty house.  Assuming the tube problem is from pine allergies, any idea how long it would take to clear up should someone move out there?  If it was a matter of a day or weekend I'd take the trip to find out!  If it takes considerably longer then I'd keep the idea in the back of my mind.  So, any ideas on how long?

(suffering since Sept. '06 and ENT just confirmed it.  Getting a second opinion with possible options in a week).
Don't know if this will help with Eustacian tube problems...  I had a tooth extracted and not long after that is when my problems started.  I can't remember exactly when the tooth was extracted but it was no more than two years before the ear problems.  The dentist showed me an x-ray and asked if I really wanted the tooth out because I probably will end up with ear problems.  I was in pain and didn't care at the time.  Could this be the cause?  KimberLee78 posted in this thread and reminded me of this.  Here is a copy of his post.

by KimberLee78, Mar 29, 2008 12:33AM
To: all
EAR POPPER (GOOGLE IT ON YOUR SEARCH ENGINE)

I am very interested in that "Ear Popper" as mentioned here by Glenn! Thank you for this mention Glenn and hopefully will help many of us suffering from ETD. Thank you. Ellen