Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Hiccup/burp sound coming from back of throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hi! I have this strange way of "burping". I mean, I'm not sure what is but I just say it's my way of burping because I don't know how to actually burp. My mom rather likes that, me being a girl and all and acting "ladylike" but turns out this weird hiccup/burp thing is just as bad.  Sometimes I can feel it coming on like at the bottom of my throat and before I know  it, it just comes out. It feels like it comes from the back of my throat. When I do it, it looks like I'm going to throw up but that's not what happens at all. Sometimes it leaves a weird taste in my throat but not all the time. I just don't know what to make of it. My mom has said it's not normal and we need to get it checked out but she hasn't gotten around to it.
I know it's strange and a bit disgusting I guess, but has anyone else heard of this? Does anyone else do the same thing? I'm just curious as to what it is and what goes on that causes it and if I really need to get it checked out or not...please and thank you.