Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Hoping someone recognizes what I have

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hoping someone recognizes what I have

In July I began at random having trouble swallowing. It didn't matter if, I was eating, drinking, or just swallowing saliva, it would just happen. Towards the end of the month I had terrible pain above my right ear, and that area became swollen. The Dr. said it was inflammation of the temporalis and gave NSAIDs. A few weeks later, symptoms returned, and I also starting going numb on the right side of my face and arm., and a rash appeared on my cheeks and back. MRIs of brain and spine normal. Swallow test normal. Medrol dosepack lessened symptoms. A few weeks later symptoms are back. Sometimes I feel pain/pressure in/around my right ear. I went to dental and black spots were found on a routine xray along the front right side of my jaw. I just completed a CT w/o contrast of my jaw and they are saying I need and MRI with contrast. Dental believes it could be large cell granuloma...but no one seems to know for sure. The only labs that have come back with anything was smooth muscle AB was high at 1:40. Some signs of inflammation...My chief complaint is difficulty swallowing. I feel pressure/pain on the right side of my throat. Sometimes the right side of my face is numb. I still have pain/pressure in/around/above my right ear, but no one seems to have any answers. I'm in the military, and I am hoping someone will recognize something in this culmination of weird symptoms. I've seen at least four doctors on base, and no one seems to know what's wrong.