How can you tell when a sinus infection becomes fungal?
My head has been a lot of trouble lately.  (I am scheduled for a parotidtecomy to remove my salivary gland and a tumor on it on the 16th.)

My PCP thought I had a swollen lymph node and sinus infection before the tumor was found.  My problem is that I'm sure I DO have sinusitis but I can't get rid of it!  Antibiotics did nothing (but mess up my stomach).  I have had it for months.  I've tried every sinus remedy I can find (guaifensin, nasal sprays, nasal rinses, etc.) but nothing helps.

Could this have become a fungal infection?  If so, could someone let me know how they got rid of it?  I've seen the ad for "Treelac" but it costs over $200.00!  I have no insurance and surgery coming up, so I can't afford to buy the Treelac.  I'd much appreciate any responses.

Sue
After you recover from your surgery, I recommend that, since every other remedy has failed, that you try my Flip-Turn Sinus Flush.  It's a means of getting large amounts of saline into all of your sinuses and washing out the infected mucus, which the Mayo Clinic has determined is a cure for sinusitis.  Just squirting saline into your nose doesn't work very often.  My technique is risky, because you have to bend over in a shower, but it has been 100% effective, first against a multiple-year long infection (fungal) and every cold and acute bout since.  Find the directions by putting your cursor on the blue friggy, and going to my journal.

If you can't risk bending over in the shower, at least try Dr. Mehta's recently invented Sinus Rinse bottle from Neilmed (at Walgreens)  I haven't tried it, and due to gravity it can't work as well as a flip-turn, but it shows that real doctors are on the same track.  

Good luck with the surgery.
Thank you for your comments.  Today I bought a neti pot from Walgreens, which was invented by the same doctor (Dr. Mehta).  It also had a free offer for his rinse bottle, which will be mailed to me later.  I think the neti pot has helped for now, anyway.

I will try your "Flip-Turn Sinus Flush" later.  I may have to put up with my sinus problems for awhile due to the surgical incision on my neck.  According to my ENT/surgeon, I shouldn't be twisting or moving my head around at odd angles until healing is well underway.  Makes sense.

While browsing the web, I found that some people get relief for sinus problems from grapeseed extract.  Have you or anyone who might read this, ever heard of that?

I appreciate your wishes for my surgery.  I'm not looking forward to that and will be glad to have it over.

Sue

That should do the trick to help out after surgery.  I have heard a lot of anecdotal evidence about grapeseed oil, but I haven't tried it.

I forgot to answer your original question.  A fungal infection may include some slimy firm pieces of clear material that resemble cooked tapioca balls coming out of your sinuses.  Nasty biz, but just as easy to get rid of as usual infections.