Ear, Nose & Throat Community
How do you cure chronic sinusitis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

How do you cure chronic sinusitis?

Im 22 currently dealing with chronic sinusitis, any idea how to cure it faster? I've had it for over a month, it gets worse in the evening (pressure above nose, and weird pressure feeling in the back of my head also my right occipital lymp node is swollen) ill get occasional head twitches, tingles, and short lasting pain..I had a head/brain scan done 2 weeks ago showed normal..my current doc said to take his prescribed Claritin, and I'm doing that now. I took antibiotics for  almost 2 weeks with no help I stopped taking them..when I work out it clears up mostly then an hour later its as bad as ever. Need suggestions I'm currently taking Flonase and Claritin.
Hi there!

There is no specific therapy for chronic sinusitis and it is treated the same way as acute sinusitis with anti-inflammatory/ allergic medications/ symptomatically with nasal decongestants and avoiding any potential allergens. Antibiotics may be prescribed if an infection is suspected. Endoscopic sinus surgery is the only option that can be considered for chronic sinusitis that fails to respond to conservative therapy. I would suggest continuing with the current therapy and if there is no improvement noted in 1-3 weeks, you may seek a review with your treating doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Hi Saylor,
As you've figured out, antibiotics aren't very effective for sinus infections. Google "CNN sinus infections" to see the study.

What happen is the infected mucus becomes encapsulated, and the antibiotics, which travel by bloodstream, can't penetrate the capsule.  The cure for that is to wash out the infected mucus with saline.

I'd start with a Neilmed Sinus Rinse, available at any chain drugstore.  If that doesn't work, it means your infection is lodged in the upper sinuses, where the Neilmed won't reach because of gravity.  However, this technique uses gravity, rather than fight it

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322

The Flip-Turn Sinus Flush is mildly risky, because you have to bend over to do it, preferably in a shower, but you can also do it outside on soft ground, or you can kneel down and lean over a bathtub, or perhaps a plastic basin or tub, with the shower running for steam.

It may take a few flushes to open up the passages to the upper sinuses, if they are swollen shut by the infection.

Good luck.