Ear, Nose & Throat Community
How many days does BPPV last?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

How many days does BPPV last?

Can first onset of BPPV occur for a few hours one day than goes away for months than come again another day for a few hours or less? or does it happen consistantly for days and weeks until it suddenly stops. but than can reoccur after that?

Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It is difficult to predict the course of BPPV. It may be experienced for a very short duration or it may last a lifetime, with symptoms occurring in an intermittent pattern that varies by duration, frequency, and intensity. The signs and symptoms of BPPV can come and go, with symptoms commonly lasting less than one minute. Episodes of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo and other forms of vertigo can disappear for some time and then recur.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
But can bppv begin with random dizziness that occurs like for a day or a few hours and the. Is gone for months or even years. Or does the onset of bppv have to be lasting for everyday for a week or so before it slowly goes away? Then it can return and be sporadic. Don't you have to have a continuous days of feeling dizzy when moving your head to make sure that it is bppv and not just normal dizziness?
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Dizziness is impairment in spatial perception and stability. Dizziness can have different sensations like vertigo, presyncope and light headedness.

Dizziness can have different sensations.  If your dizziness feels like you are spinning or the room is spinning (and especially if associated with nausea or vomiting), this might be due to an inner ear problem. BPPV is an inner ear problem and can occur for a few minutes or last for days. There are tests to diagnose dizziness due to inner ear problems.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I never was dianosged with bppv. And I never really have spinning dizziness when my head it straight it only happens VERY occasionally when my head it bent n twisted. I never had nysagtmas and ill be dizzy only when I move my head n it will last for a day or a few hours then the next day I'm totally fine and it will be fine for months n even year. The. Randomly ill be dizzy again when moving my head but again goes away after a few hours. Next day month I'm fine. That's why I don't thik it's bppv. Never was a long week of it or anything n I went to an ENT when I was feeling weird, of course wasn't dizzy that day. But I went n they told me I don't have bppv. So I'm just sill anxious about it and wondering if this could be like a werid form of bppv? So worried this is my biggest fear is having an inner ear disorder. Please help.
Avatar dr f tn
If the doctors have ruled out BPPV, its unlikely to be the cause for your dizziness. Sometimes postural hypotension can cause dizziness. Check with your doctor regarding this.