Ear, Nose & Throat Community
How to Treat a Perforated Eardrum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

How to Treat a Perforated Eardrum

My eardrum was recently punctured due to a forceful irrigation in the doctor's office. His treatment includes my irrigating the ear once a day with peroxide and then a mixture of alcohol and vinegar. When I complained to him that it hurt if I did it with any force, he told me that was okay and I should "taste" it. All other info I read says that if one has a perforated eardrum, you should keep the ear canal dry. Do I need to get a second opinion? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks
I am an audiologist, and honestly I have never heard of the treatment plan your doctor has given you. If the perforation is minor, they usually resolve on their own.
That seems like an insain treatement for an ear. I have been to 3 ENT's in the past 2 years. Both of my ear drums have ruptured due to infections. I was given antibiotics and told not to put anything in my ears then after they heal to use a drop or so of olive oil to keep the ear lubricated. Alchol would dry up your ear and be painful so would vinegar.  Ever dropped a bit of pickle juice on an open cut. OUCH. The peroxide I've read does not do any good . I've tried that one. My last visit was some kind of blisters oround the ear drum. I have never had pain during one of my infections so I don't know till they start to drip fluid out. Any way the last Dr. told me to just use baby oil once a month . Our air is very dry here so lots of people suffer from ear nose and throat probs.
I advise you go to a different doctor as quick as you can!!!!!!!  PLEASE!  I been through it all if you look at my thread.  I also have a hole in my eardrum and am not allowed to get even a drop of water in it!  You def. should not be putting anything at all whatsoever into your ear ESPECIALLY with a perferated ear drum!  I'm going under surgery next month to close it up so I can finally get water in it after 15 years of not being able to!  In the words of my doctor "do not put anything in your ear the only thing is the sterile water I put in the OR"  You can damage yourself.  So please get a second opinion and do not get anything in there not even water!